4.0 out of 5 stars a must have recipe book, but don't expect too many pictures
I recently watched "Forks Over Knifes" and got enough inspiration to try learning to cook using more healthier vegetable-centric ingredients. I received this book a few days ago and started cooking.

As a reference point, please keep in mind that I'm a typical guy who used to eat 20oz Rib-Eye stake and considered mashed potatoes my daily serving of vegetable...
Published on August 3, 2012 by Neutralist

1.0 out of 5 stars Not sure if the food tastes bad because of all the mistakes, or if the food just tastes bad.
This cookbook is riddled with typos and mistakes...like, omitting whole entire ingredients from the recipe. Publisher came out with a statement saying they are going to fix mistakes in future printings, but they should take the current version off amazon immediately. Not fair for consumers to spend money on something that is a total amateur publishing. As someone who...
Published on August 17, 2012 by Disco Owl

‹ Previous | 1 2 398 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Plant Based Diet=Life Changing!, September 6, 2012
I have the kindle version-and love it! It's easy to use-I can even read it on my I-Phone. Convenient when you are at the store trying to pick up things for tonight's dinner. Great, easy to follow recipes that taste delish! My husband and I watched the movie a few months ago, and I pre-ordered the cook book immediately. A perfect addition to anyone's cooking library. In March of this year (2012) I made the decision to go Vegan, and haven't looked back. I've suffered from extremely high blood pressure for the last 15 years, been extremely over weight, and just always felt tired, and never felt like I had a "good" day. Since March I have dropped 65 pounds, have clearer skin, and no longer have high blood pressure. (no kidding-and no medications) I still have more weight to lose, but I am confident that eating an entirely plant based diet is the key to optimum health, and my long-term weight loss goals. Do yourself and your family a favor, and educate yourself on the benefits of this lifestyle change. I promise you, when you realize what you have been doing to yourself all these years, you will be inspired to make the changes. The cook book is a great step in the right direction!

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok book, not for beginners, March 7, 2013
This review is from: Forks Over Knives - The Cookbook: Over 300 Recipes for Plant-Based Eating All Through the Year (Paperback)
I think this book should be subtitled "The Cumin and Cilantro Cookbook". Which is fine for those who like Cumin and Cilantro but for me I have to find substitutes or cut them way back. I, like others, find these recipes to be very carb loaded. Just because they are meatless doesn't mean they are healthy or will automatically cause weight loss. I can only speak for myself but as I age it is not as simple as burning more than I consume. It is what I consume that makes the difference. So for me, the portion sizes are too big and I have to make adjustments to suit my diet plan. You plug these recipes into the Weight Watcher Recipe Builder and the point values will choke a horse. That said, I use these recipes as a base and make adjustments to fit how I know my body works and what fits my diet plan. I find that eating a balanced plant based diet, low in carbs, leaves me more full and less hungry. I also agree with others that this book needs to include nutrition information and a section of what we can use to substitute ingredients. As with most Cookbooks of this nature it is written and published by people on either coast, in large cities, where there is a wide variety ingredients available. For those of us who live in rural areas and have to drive 40 miles to find some of the ingredients, we need to know suggested alternatives.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Whole Foods Plant-Based Low Fat Recipes, August 8, 2012
I love this book! There are recipes for every type of meal, including an amazing selection of low-fat desserts. The book focuses a lot on whole grains and fresh produce, but most of the ingredients used are easily accessible to anyone, (based on what I can find at my local non-specialty supermarket.)

I've been trying to get away from processed foods a lot recently, so it's nice to see a vegan cookbook entirely free of recipes with faux meat and non-dairy cheese substitutes. Also, a lot of the recipes do not include tofu, so if you're looking to lower your soy intake, this may be a good choice.

1.0 out of 5 stars This book is full of errors!, August 17, 2012
AMG (Birmingham, Al USA) - See all my reviews
I have just found out that there is an EXTENSIVE list of mistakes in this cookbook. The publisher is issuing an apology and a "list of the mistakes and corrections" I am very disappointed as I waited several months for this book with delay after delay and now this? I have also recommended the book, but will have to take back the recommendations. Very disappointing!

5.0 out of 5 stars Kindle version has everything corrected, August 21, 2012
Lego (Orlando, FL) - See all my reviews
Get the Kindle version! The error corrections have already been made and you can save a tree at the same time. There are a TON of recipes in this book. If you are a fan of the first book, you can't go wrong with this one. The people behind Forks Over Knives know what they are doing when it comes to plant-based recipes. No processed, unhealthy, or exotic ingredients. Just natural, whole, yummy plant-based foods!

3.0 out of 5 stars No nutritional info, could make some recipes surprisingly unhealthy, August 15, 2012
While this contains a lot of great recipes, better proof of the program's health benefits could have been reinforced with the listing of nutritional information per recipe.

I follow a popular diet program and have found it difficult to lose and maintain my weight when using "plant based" (a.k.a. vegetarian and vegan)cookbooks without nutritional information.

I ran the sample recipe "Mushroom Stroganoff" though my nutritional builder and it turned out that the recipe serving, made as listed, would consume half of my recommended daily intake.

I'm not debating the health benefits of this lifestyle, I've felt it, the problem is the carbohydrate loads are so high in comparison to the overall dish, making it difficult for someone like me to sustain weight for the long haul.

It has a lot of recipes, could use some more pictures, but may require adjustments to ingredients to suit health restrictions (diabetes) or those of us who are "the last few pound, dieters"

1.0 out of 5 stars fOK Cookbook riddle with publishing errors, August 17, 2012
DB "Diane" (Roseville, Ca) - See all my reviews
I, anxiously awaited for my cookbook to arrive and as I scanned through it, I found lots of wonderful looking recipes. But a weeks later, I find that the cookbook is loaded with publishing or writing errors. I am not sure which. To those who are willing to wait for the e-book to come out, the Publisher says it will include the corrections. I did find a pubishers correction sheet on line and made the many, many corrections myself to the already purchased cookbook. Amazon needs to quit selling this book until the corrected hard copy editions come out. I contacted the Publisher and they are going to send me a corrected copy as soon as they receive them in their warehouse. I contacted Amazon customer service and she seemed in the dark re the errors and the new copies being published and distributed. I am really puzzled why Amazon continue to offer them here on their website.....Don't buy one unless you want man, many recipes that don't make sense.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life Changing Reading Experience!, September 27, 2012
I truly have enjoyed this cook book. I feel like most individuals who are looking to invest in this book have already had a chance to either read the original Forks Over Knives book which gives you the informational breakdown as to why going "Plant Strong" is so beneficial to your health. If you haven't had a chance to do so I recommend you start your journey there, then make your way to the wonderful meals in this book.

What I like about the cook book:
1. It tells me what to do: Haha I can't say I know my way around the kitchen nor can I say I would be able to come up with new ideas of meals to eat especially for a new way of eating... I have a hard enough time staying away from CHEESE! **See reasons in "Forks Over Knives" as to why cheese is a no go**

2. Organized well: I purchased the Kindle version of the book. LOVE IT! the table of contents is clearly listed with every recipe having it's own active link to the page in the book. This is great when you have no idea what you want to make for breakfast/lunch/dinner. Simply go to the table of contents choose the meal you are looking for ie Dinner and brows the different recipes.

3. Super Tasty: Big issue, can I actually eat the food I make? in the case of taste I give this book a five stare rating. Everything I have made has had great taste and fills you up. Obviously with any large scale lifestyle change there might be some getting used to textures as well as acquire some new tastebuds but that comes with time of eating these foods. For example Kale....it can be robust in flavor... for a newbie you might want to throw your salad bowl in the air as you run away screaming Ice cream! but PLEASE! don't be scared away. There is always an adjustment period and if you are used to tons of fast food then your body will need to go through a detox period, which can be frustrating, but then BAM! you will be running strong and healthy with your new empowered knowledge and a sense of healthy living.

4. Quantity: Love the number of recipes in the book. Great variety as well

All in all this is a great cook book to own if you are interested in learning how to live "Plant Strong" go for it BUY IT! You'll see for yourself. Make the change and live happy and healthy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Received Edition with Errors, October 10, 2012
I waited to purchase this till the 2nd printing and was very disappointed to receive the uncorrected version from Amazon. I'm going to return it, has anyone had any luck getting a corrected copy, no insert??

3.0 out of 5 stars Complicated, August 3, 2013
This cook book is not for beginners. The recipes are complicated and require many ingredients I do not already have. I tried to purchase most of the ingredients for just a few of the recipes and my local grocery store doesn't carry all of the items needed. If you purchase this cookbook you'd better have a specialty grocery store nearby.

‹ Previous | 1 2 398 | Next ›