5.0 out of 5 stars The best
Published on May 22, 2011 by KenFromNorCA

1.0 out of 5 stars Used to be a great porduct!
Published 12 months ago by Chris

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The best, May 22, 2011
KenFromNorCA (Northern California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Formbys 30013 Furniture Refinisher, 32-Ounce (Tools & Home Improvement)
I've used this several times and it works! You have to follow the directions and you'll use a lot of it to do the job correctly. You need to keep the surface wet and wipe it immediatly. Yes, it'll take off the entire finish if you are not careful but use formby's tung oil and your project will turn out great. And you need good ventilation and orange stripper gloves and a small open pan to hold the liquid.

1.0 out of 5 stars Used to be a great porduct!, February 2, 2014
Have been using this product for about 30 years and it is great for light refinishing projects.Often times with older furniture people do not want to lose the patina that years of living with them has accumulated. It might be a ring left from a former loved-one's coffee cup or a cigarette burn. I know it sounds funny but people really do request to leave damage that would normally be sanded or wood-bleached out. And sending a piece to the strippers will lift the grain so much that you have to do a light fine sand to get it to lay back down; diminishing patina even more. But using this product with a fine steel wool will produce a finish that makes a piece that someone wants to keep the majority of the character in happy. Great for keeping old furniture looking old but very well taken care of. Just my opinion! Would recommend to someone who understands how to use it.
UPDATED: 5/21/14:I wrote a review about this product before using the latest version. It is no more than lacquer thinner now!!! I used to buy this before I got into professional furniture finishing about 25 years ago. This product did have a substantial oil base to it that would take off the finish and distribute the stain in the wood so as to lightly refinish a product without having to do a full-on restoration; leaving a nice and even patina! If you want what this product does then simply get a gallon of lacquer thinner and steel wool to you choosing and do small areas at a time so the thinner does not dry before you wipe the wet surface of finish. I apologize to anyone who purchased this product due to a review I left. In the future I will use the product before leaving a review and not just assume that it is the same as it was. I know for a fact that the product is not what it used to be due to the fact that it would not evaporate quickly like it does now. It also smells like lacquer thinner or toluene; where I remember it never did years ago. Once again, sorry for any ill-advice!!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars It's an inbetween solvent and works if you know how, June 5, 2013
It's somewhere inbetween paint stripper and thinner and works as long as you work it properly. The more I use it the more I like it. A previous poster was right on: rub the surface wet, then wipe it off. Rub wet, wipe dry. One small area after the next. You must remove that top old finish while it is liquidy and removable. The key is to work it in long enough for it to dissolve but not too long or it will get too dry to properly wipe. With practice you will see the bad old coat being removed and know the point to wipe it off. Go over an area more than once if need be. It's actually easy because this stuff does dissolve and in quick order but you can use a lot. I strongly suggest not to rub too hard with the steal wool, let the solution do the job. I put a roll of paper towels right next to me with one always in hand. Be prepared for some mess and strong fumes so don't do it inside.

2.0 out of 5 stars Formby stain & varnish remover, March 11, 2009
Faye G. (Elberta, AL USA) - See all my reviews
I'm still using the product even though the results have been less than expected. It is requiring more coatings and considerable more effort. From reading the information about the product I had expected much faster results.

5.0 out of 5 stars My neighbor recommended this, and he was right, November 25, 2011
I just received a 100+-year-old dresser from my mother's estate, and needless to say, it was pretty shabby. My wookworking neighbor used this product to strip off the old crud and then he refinished it: it looks brand new. He swears Formsbys is the only product to use for this purpose, and apparently he is right.

2.0 out of 5 stars Just a Solvent?, January 21, 2010
You know what I think? I think this is simply some type of lacquer thinner. It softens the finish, and then you are to wipe clean with a rag (dampened in the stuff). You are instructed to rinse the rag if it becomes dirty.........which is immediately. And then the rinse solution is dirty........which means without another clean rag and more clean solution, you aren't going to remove much more softened finish. The whole process reminded of something very similar so I ran an experiment.

I grabbed a can of lacquer thinner and used it in the same manner............same result.

4.0 out of 5 stars Antique Furniture Finish Stripper, November 21, 2012
This was recommended as the company is now owned by Min-Wax, who make the only stains I use. I used it on an old desk build in 1905. It definetly stripped the old finish coat off and did a pretty good job on the underlying stain. Using the steel wool method requires a bit of elbow grease, but you can work at your own pace, quit and come back and start where you left off. I also used some old soft cloths soaked in the solution to help remove all the surface material along with the steel wool. It will take more then you thought you might use, but it did not damage the underlying wood at all, which, with this old piece of furniture, was important to me.

Recommend this or the new version (same formula) by Min-Wax for your old antiques with varnish or shellac as the finish.

2.0 out of 5 stars I wanted to Love it . . .but, September 12, 2012
This product does what it says it will do. It takes off old varnish but leaves stain finish.
You have to use this with lots of steel wool pads. Kinda messy, use correct gloves for project.
I didn't and ate thru the latex. The odor from this product is very strong. Use outdoors,
with lots of air circulating. Kinda hurt my lungs after, DO use a mask.
I found product affected my head and lungs so I won't use it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Formby's Furniture Refinisher, June 6, 2011
Excellent product that does a great job as long as you follow the directions. I refinished a console piano using a little over a one quart can. Great product for the do-it-yourselfer !!

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use, awesome results, November 21, 2013
To the reviewers that state this is only thinner...It's a very gentle version and although you may have success carefully using thinner only...if you over do it you will strip to much or really dry out the wood. If you don't want to take chances with a valuable or sentimental piece, I suggest sticking to Formby's. I have used this product years ago to restore a hutch and buffet that belonged to my grandmother and it works wonderfully... I hadn't seen it in years and was thrilled to find it on Amazon. It does exactly what its says it will, I found the process long but easy and the results were amazing. Buy double of what you think you will need, you won't be sorry.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›