Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Goo-goo Dolls Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation

on February 17, 2013
Bear MGC products often look sloppy and have unamusing steel (low hardness 440a I think). But this was a cheap way to get a clone of a Schrade Sharpfinger made in the US instead of China (like the current Taylor imports).

The first thing I noticed is that the color is off from the stock photos (my uploaded photos aren't great either, but this thing is so junky that I didn't want to start over). It's more like a salmon color, not the bright safety orange Bear shows in their stock images. Not a total deal breaker, but if you buy a knife of the color shown by Bear you probably want a bright color and this one is not.

But then I noticed that the handle slabs are not shaped exactly like the tang. They aren't just slightly misaligned, they are too big in some spots and too small in others. I uploaded some pictures to show how bad it is. It's like they were designed by different manufacturers and tossed together as a sort-of-fits ghetto job.

Bear sure likes to make stuff in a hurry. This knife has the ages-old sign of that, with a browned tip on the blade (and a couple other locations near edges). This can soften a blade. It also looks kind of crummy if you bought a stainless knife with the desire not to have a discolored blade (I don't mind the eventual darkening which comes with a carbon steel blade, but if you chose a stainless knife you should at least get one which is not already discolored by the factory).

Mine is also missing the hole for the lanyard through the tang. The holes are in the handle slabs, but there is a solid layer of steel in the middle. I am not sure if this is just a defective unit, but given that Bear did such a poor job of EVERYTHING, I wouldn't be totally surprised if all of them are like this.

I don't know why Bear survived the great turn-of-the-century Chinese steel invasion while Camillus and Schrade went under, but I continue to be disappointed that this is the case.
review image review image review image review image
44 comments|4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 28, 2013
I noticed that 1 buyer got one of these he wasn't particularly pleased with; but my own experience was not the same. Mine arrived in perfect shape and as described. I have probably a dozen Sharpfinger designs from various makers, and this one is a favorite.

I prefer knives that'll be used in the wild to have orange scales, as those with black or camo scales are easily lost; and this knife in safety orange is ideal. The scales and pins are all flush, and the lanyard hole is smooth and complete. Came quite sharp right out of the box.
on March 7, 2013
Bought as used. Arrived as described and as ordered. Was shipped on time with no problems. Another knife for the group I use in the process of hunting.