1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars Best mechanical Chrono in the business, March 8, 2011
This review is from: Fortis Men's 638.10.11M B-42 "Official Cosmonauts" Stainless Steel Automatic Watch (Watch)
I am a collector with three mechanical chronos currently, and I have owned many more. This watch is unique for three very important reasons:

1. The B-42 is the most accurate mechanical watch I've ever seen (literally +/- 0s after three days. I'm scratching my head over this wondering if it will prove fast or slow. With this level of accuracy I don't think I care) My second best mechanical is my Carrera running at +1, and my Seamaster runs at +2 per day for reference. (I had to calibrate the Carrera down from +6 but that's no big deal)

2. The B-42 has no bling....no shiny hands, no glossy bracelet or case. But the double-side anti-reflective coating is superlative, and it reminds me more of a laboratory reference instrument than it does a conventional watch. The orange neon chrono hands are simply gorgeous. It makes my Carrera and my Avenger Seawolf Chrono look gaudy if you can believe that. Although it has a brushed finish, it is a very subdued brushed finish. Now don't get me wrong, there's a place for bling especially when stepping-out (Carrera!), and I love all my chronos, but this watch is the bomb. No one can accuse me of being a show-off, and yet this watch is the ultimate show-off chronograph.

3. The watch is built like a tank. Very massive, and yet it doesn't seem overly thick for the size of the case like my Seamaster and possibly my Avenger Seawolf Chrono do. Make no mistake though....those are also great watches.

Bottom Line - So far this Fortis is going head-to-head with the super-quartz movement in my Breitling Avenger Seawolf Chrono. I have to believe at some point the ultra-accurate quartz movement will win....don't I? Hmmmmmmm...scratch scratch....I give the Fortis my very highest recommendation. It is the ultimate 'Laboratory Reference Chronometer' and when I see it on my wrist I feel all warm inside. Especially when one of my colleagues sees it and their jaw drops open.

G