5.0 out of 5 stars "where there is milk, there is hope."
Published 10 months ago by Dee18

2.0 out of 5 stars Gaiman fan not drinking the kool aid on this one
I've been a Gaiman fan for years, liking everything of his I've read. Unfortunately I was unimpressed with this one. I bought this to introduce my young 6 yr old to his work but found it quite tedious. The whole book felt rushed, as if he was making the story up as he went and wrote it in an afternoon. It was full of hacky jokes and silly nonsensical pieces that even my...
Published 7 days ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars "where there is milk, there is hope.", September 17, 2013
This review is from: Fortunately, the Milk (Hardcover)
Only Neil Gaiman could delight two polar-opposite readerships by releasing one of the most buzzed-about adult books of the year (`The Ocean at the End of the Lane' - so good I still can't bring myself to write a review because THERE ARE NO WORDS!) and then a few months later a lavishly wonderful children's book. It's not surprising, really, because Neil Gaiman wrote both `American Gods' and `Coraline' - cementing himself as a fine storyteller for all ages.

`Fortunately, the Milk. . . ' being Gaiman's children's foray, his Bloomsbury publishers know they can be a bit more blunt and honest with their younger readers. Hence this very apt author billing of 'Ridiculously Bestselling Author'

The book is about a father left in charge of his two children when their mum goes off to a conference. But the first disaster strikes at breakfast-time, when they run out of milk. So it's up to dad to trot down to the corner store for a refill . . . but he takes ages and ages, and it's only upon his return that the children discover what took him so long.

The whole book is a bit tongue-in-cheek, and there's something here for the intended 8-12 readership, as well as the parents for whom this will be bedtime reading. For the kids there are; Dwarves, wumpires, a stegosaurus, aliens, pirates, ponies, a volcano god . . . then for the adult readers there are some references to The Usual Suspects, a little Doctor Who-esque time travel conundrum and some making fun of Twilight. It's all a bit brilliant really. Even more so because Chris Riddell's illustrations have made the dad look like Neil Gaiman himself - which makes me think back on an old blog post Gaiman once posted about where he gets his ideas from.

Interestingly, there are two versions of Gaiman's latest children's book. There's the US and Canada book illustrated by Skottie Young - this version does not include a Neil-Father lookalike, and is perhaps the slightly more conventional children's book. Chris Riddell's illustrated book for Australia and UK includes the ellipsis in the title `. . . ' and the shiniest cover you ever did see. There's also some symmetry in Riddell lending his drawings to `Fortunately', because Riddell also illustrated the anniversary edition of `Coraline'.

Either way, Gaiman's extravagant story is a lot of fun with moments of quiet brilliance. I don't know about anyone else, but when I read the blurb for `Fortunately, the Milk. . . ' about a father who takes a jolly good time to get home to his children with their promised milk, I instantly thought of the old cliché prevalent in many stories; that a father went to buy a packet of cigarettes one morning and never came home. The basis being that father's don't really hold up so well in many stories; so I love that Gaiman took that old cliché and made a minor hero of this father and detailed his grand adventures to get home to his kids.

Oh! And never forget, "where there is milk, there is hope."

5.0 out of 5 stars This is not a book about little girls in Nazi Germany, September 27, 2013
This review is from: Fortunately, the Milk (Hardcover)
I finished The Book Thief and couldn't stop doing the ugly cry so my husband made me promise to stop reading books about small children in Nazi Germany for at least a day. I read this book instead and it didn't make me ugly cry at all. In fact, it was deliciously wonderful and I reveled in the lack of swastikas.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Fortunately, the Milk" is for all dairy and non-dairy consumers!, September 18, 2013
This review is from: Fortunately, the Milk (Hardcover)
Neil Gaiman’s “Fortunately, the Milk” is as charming as it sounds. A story to delight even the most lactose intolerant. Read it with your morning breakfast, your coffee or tea; this book will surely please. A wonderful romp full of whimsy, time-travel, dairy and numerous globulous aliens. If you haven’t read any of Neil Gaiman’s works here is a great place to start. It’s good for all ages. Read it with a glass of milk! A book fortified to get you through your day!

If you like Doctor Who, Back to the Future, Monty Python, Neil Gaiman, laughing, reading good books, or dairy, than I suggest reading “Fortunately the milk”. If you don’t like at least one of these things, well, then I suggest consulting a physician immediately.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dont buy kindle edition, September 17, 2013
This review is from: Fortunately, the Milk (Hardcover)
I bought this book without knowing anything about it except that it was written by Neil Gaiman. To my surprise it is a children's book! Funny enough I still loved it. I wish I had bought the hardcover version however. The illustrations are fantastic and I don't think the kindle version does them justice at all. You really do miss out on the whole experience that comes from reading your little one a bedtime story where the pages actually turn. Overall,though, another win for my favorite author!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, September 17, 2013
Heather Furtek (Lindenhurst, IL USA) - See all my reviews
I just read this in two sittings with my 5 year old and it was wonderful. Thank you Mr. Gaiman. We both loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fortunately, Neil Gaiman..., September 18, 2013
This review is from: Fortunately, the Milk (Hardcover)
... continues to write amazing stories for all! Coming off the book high of "Ocean at the End of the Lane", I couldn't wait to get this book! I enjoy all the many genres of Gaiman. However, my daughter (11) got to read this before I was able. After I come home from work, she comes to me, hands me the book and says, "Awesome!! Don't worry I won't spoil it for you. (Wink) But I'll tell ya, this dad is waaayyyyy better than the one from "The Day I Swapped my Dad for Two Goldfish". This one is so much more like [my] dad!!!". Lol! Too cute. Anyone of any age will love this book!! Especially dads everywhere!!
Oh! I can't write about this book without mentioning the art! Beautiful linework to match the whimsy of Gaiman. Definitely buy the hard cover!! ♥

5.0 out of 5 stars 5, November 8, 2013
I like this book because it is funny and is really good.Everyone should read fortunately the milk!!!my mom and dad should read it too!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Tall-tale!, December 9, 2013
This review is from: Fortunately, the Milk (Hardcover)
The most wonderful Tall-tale I've read in a long time, and the illustrations are a great addition. I truly loved sharing this with my son.

5.0 out of 5 stars 10 year old thought it was hilarious, January 22, 2014
I love Neil Gaiman, but you never know what you're getting... creepy, terrifying, no, this is apparently hilarious, my 10 year old laughed out loud. The 8 year old could read it no problem, but of course, he'd have to tear himself away from graphic novels (ghostopolis).

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply a Delight, January 20, 2014
Rocky Sunico (Quezon City, Metro Manila, Philippines) - See all my reviews
The story is a generally light one and flows easily from one page to the next as the father goes on to tell his two kids what exactly happened to him while he was out. The story includes a lot of fantastic elements that are a little hard to believe, and thus the story includes fun moments when the kids interrupt the story and ask questions about this or that detail. They're not exactly taking things at face value, as children are prone to do.

Skottie Young's illustrations do a tremendous job of bringing the story to life. His art alone is what primarily makes me wish that I had spent more time looking for a hardbound copy of the book in order to enjoy his illustrations in all their glory. And I'm not just talking about the odd picture page here or there - pretty much every page is brought to life with his illustrations and the text wraps about the artwork in order to keep things nicely integrated. It really does a lot to make the book even more fun than it already is based on the core story. I think the only thing that could have made things even more amazing would have been if they had been in full color, but beggars can't be choosers.

The book is beautiful in its simplicity. Like many other Gaiman books, it does a great job of bringing you back to your childhood. The way it's all described makes one feel like you're right there in the kitchen together with the kids listening to the story as your imagination fills in all the gaps and puts the stories together.

Fortunately, the Milk is a fun, delightful book that I enjoyed a lot and I strongly recommend for kids and parents alike. There's a lot to be enjoyed regardless of what you're going through and the book is sure to put a smile on your face.

Fortunately, the Milk
Fortunately, the Milk by Neil Gaiman (Hardcover - September 17, 2013)
$14.99 $8.69