The "Step Forward" series is designed for small groups. It is a 12-Step Bible study that focuses on losing weight by drawing closer to Christ. Each of the four 12-week units comes with a corresponding Participant's Handbook as well as a step-by-step Leader's Guide.
AA's 12 Steps have helped millions of people for over 50 years to draw closer to God so that He could help them to deal with their weaknesses.
AA has kindly given Step Forward permission to adapt their steps. Step Forward's 12 Steps are similar to AA's, with 2 big differences: Step Forward's 12 Steps refer to food as the primary problem, not alcohol and they do not refer to "God as we understand him." They refer to God by name: "God through Jesus Christ."
In Unit 1 you begin the exciting adventure to permanent weight loss by taking Steps 1 and 2. You will start the first lesson by taking turns listing ways that overeating has harmed you. How relieved you will be to finally find a group of people who understand where you're coming from! It's fun to talk about experiences that you have in common with your "ex-best friend" FOOD. Though it's no fun to look at the harm that overeating has done, you'll feel good because you're starting on your journey in recovery with supportive new friends who are coming along with you.
In the first unit you will begin to get to the roots of your food problem by discussing things like...
1. The role food played in your childhood.
2. How to break bad habits and vicious cycles
3. How to get rid of (fattening!) resentments.
4. How to deal with problems so you won't eat over them.
As you work on Step 2, you will learn more about God by discussing...
1. What the Bible says about what God is really like.
2. How to have life-changing 20-minute daily quiet times.
3. How to recognize and overcome misconceptions about God.
4. How to let go and let God have your problems.
In the "Physical Focus" part of each lesson, which always deals with weight-loss topics, you will learn things like...
1. How to choose "bargain foods"--ones low in calories and fat and high in taste and nutritional value.
2. How to read "shocking" food labels.
3. How to make progress instead of excuses.
Unit 1 can be used as a 12-Week Bible study, or if the group wants to continue, it can be the foundation for Units 2-4.
To start a group, leaders need to purchase a Unit 1 "Leader's Guide" and "Participant's Handbook" for themselves and a "Participant's Handbook" for each member. It is also very helpful for each member to have a copy of "Step Forward Diet," an easy-to-read overview of the program designed for individuals who are not part of a group or to help group members to work the program in a deeper way.