Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

Format: Video Game|Change

Showing 1-10 of 35 reviews(3 star). Show all reviews
on August 14, 2013
I've thought that this game would really take great advantage of the Kinect sensors in terms of gestures affecting the driving experience, but for my disappointment, it not. Even Kinect Joyride and Disney - Pixar's Kinect Rush do a better job with the amount of gestures they have to control the driving experience. The vista environment where you navigate and go inside some of the world's greatest cars is, maybe, the most important feature of this game. It should bring a wider selection of vintage and contemporary cars, because I don't like the fact that you need to buy extra packs of cars. The render quality get improved from previous versions.
on March 31, 2014
But the AI goes from really easy to waaaaaaaay too hard without changing any settings at all. So, there are problems. Not only that, but Turn 10/MS evidently think it's fun to make cars so ridiculously expensive and make credits so hard to get that you actually consider spending even more money (as if the $150+ you spent just to own the game and all of it's DLC wasn't enough) just to unlock a couple of neat cars by buying those stupid anti-consumer Car Tokens. MS and EA and all the others are RUINING gaming by doing this kind of stuff.

Not only that, but then there are "unicorn" cars that you actually have to join Turn 10's forum and participate in their stupid "go here do this on X day/time" to get. STUPID If they had spent more time on working out the kinks in the game and AI and less time on crap like that, this might actually be a great game. As it is, it's just a decent racing game with a lot of annoying junk thrown in.
on August 10, 2014
The game is fun but it seems to freeze a lot requiring you to reboot the Xbox. This game is downloaded to the hard drive and I don't seem to have this problem with any other games.

I also don't like the DLC. Though Forza 5 is sooooo much more worse in this aspect. $60 for the game, $120 more for the DLC. I have a feeling Forza 6 will include 1 track and 3 cars.
on September 7, 2014
Unfortunately, in the realm of good racing sims on XBOX 360 this is the best you're gonna get. Being a huge fan of the GT series I was pretty disappointed. This is not a *bad* game, not by a long shot. However, the gameplay experience is vastly superior in the GT series.

First, the graphics are great. I think this series and GT are evenly matched in this department. Realism, as far as a sim on a gaming console goes is pretty good. Interestingly, you can tailor the difficulty to your skill level with a number of options. On max difficulty winning a race is quite a challenge. The damage rendering is incredible, and damage accrued can actually affect the performance of your vehicle, not to mention the costs to repair after the race: so be careful!

The amount of vehicle choices and the realistic look of them is very good. This game actually happened to have the exact car that I own in real life, and driving it was a lot of fun. The rendering of the car, especially the interior, was perfect. One minor drawback here: when in the cockpit view, the interior of the car is presented for only the front. You can look forward and to the left and right 45 degrees. Any further than that and the interior is not shown. In some cars the default view makes it difficult to see the mirrors.

Track selection was lacking a bit, I think. Working my way through the career mode got a bit tiring with having to play the same tracks over and over. No complaint on graphics, though. Again, everything in the graphics dept. is excellent in this game.

I'm going to eschew a detailed review for my main complaint, which I think is very important. The career mode game play feels like an arcade. Progression is very linear. To progress in the game you have only 3 race choices at one time, and sometimes less. Cars are given out as prizes willy-nilly, and I did not actually have to purchase a single vehicle to beat the game. Compare this to GT where you can choose whatever event you want, and there is a seemingly endless supply. A lot of the races have specific vehicle or driver criteria that must be met in order to enter. In short, it's a challenge that is a lot of fun to meet. In Forza it's "next race, done. next race, done" which is very unexciting. Unfortunately the game experience overall is not very good, and because it's something very important to me I could not rate this game more than three stars despite its strong points.
on December 28, 2011
I won't rehash what many others have said about the game, but have a few comments to add.

First, the best addition over Forza 3 is a source of great frustration. The "Rivals" feature is a great idea and absolutely addictive, but server problems badly plague this game (as of 12/28/11) and make this feature difficult and frustrating to use. In order to get to a Rivals race that you want to try you have to make it through some menus entailing several (unnecessary) server queries which offer you races against times set buy other players. These frequently time out and the game dumps you out to the top menu. If you do get to the race you want and manage to start it successfully (game must load ghost of other player which often fails), then you can complete the race but may run into server timeouts again when saving your time or trying to load the leaderboards to see how you stack up.

Since the Rivals feature is so frustrating to use and is often simply not working, I usually try it first but play offline when the problems occur. Offline the game is not much different than Forza 3. There is a new "professional" difficulty level, but even with most assists off this level is thus far not challenging for me (I'm usually a top 10% racer according to the leaderboards), at least in the lower classes. I'm told the race classes are harder. The "World Tour" career mode apparently takes a long time to increase the AI performance to this level, so is a waste of time to me.

Finally, I am playing this game with the Fanatec GT2 wheel. The feedback effect of Forza 4 with this wheel is not at all strong compared to what one gets from the Thrustamaster T500RS on the PS3 with Gran Turismo 5. With Forza 4 and the GT2 you can hit a bump which nearly flips the car but barely feel anything. With the T500RS this could rip the wheel out of your hand (i.e. is close to realistic). Apparently the newer Fanatec CSR Elite wheel is more comparable to the T500RS, but I'm not sure how much of this problem is the wheel and how much is the game.

If the Rivals feature worked reliably, I could give this game 5 stars. As it stands I can only give it 3, since the best feature barely works.
on May 21, 2013
You will hear people rave about Forza 4, I'm not one of them. The game itself is fun, but you only get half of what you pay for. The Forza Motorsports server is unavailable much of the time which means no online racing, no winning credits or points, no saving anything and messages about the wonderful challenges to win "unicorn" cars arrive days after the event is over so no unicorn cars. Complain about it on the heavily censored Forza forums, odds are you will be banned, as I was(for having a "bad attitude"), even though you will see people complaining about Forza servers being "unavailable" all the time. They should cut out all their online marketing crap associated with the game and free up the bandwidth for people who paid for the game. If you are a new player, forget about racing online. According to the experts on the Forza forum, you have to "pay your dues" and the forum moderators will tell you to NOT play online until you are up to their standards. Are you kidding me? You paid for the game, why can't you play? What's left? Single player against AI cars and if you're lucky, you might even get credits if you win, depending if the Forza servers are "available" or not.
Update 8-12-13: I want to be fair about this, especially in light of people deciding to buy the Xbox One or not. Forza 4 and Forza Horizon, when they are working, are great video games for the motorsports enthusiast. I stand by my comments about the heavy handed censorship of the Forza Forums and you should not expect any support from Turn 10 or Microsoft if you have problems with your game. You can be banned from the Forza games for any reason with no appeal.
I enjoy playing the Forza games, but the experience with Turn 10/Microsoft has made my decision on buying the Xbox One console easy; no way. Spend $600 and hope things work? Forget it. I won't spend another dollar on Xbox or Forza products until I get my money's worth out of the stuff I already bought from them.
on February 8, 2013
Forza 4 offers tons of different cars, engine swaps, and tons of modes to choose from. The only downside to the game is playing through the season. It's so big that it becomes repeative, luckily there are online modes that can keep it fresh and competitive if you spend the time figuring it out.
on February 11, 2015
The driving is fine but the way it handles dlc is awful. In the car selection screen it will show dlc cars that you have not purchased. There is not a setting to hide this. So you will be scrolling through cars, see the veyron ss (among many other cars and tracks) go to use it aaaand its dlc. But it will load a race in under an hour, unlike gran turismo 5. So that's one good thing.
on January 9, 2015
Honestly it's kind of a snooze fest. We lost interest in playing after a few hours. Maybe we just weren't in the mood for driving games anymore, but I've never had that happen with a driving sim.
on June 26, 2013
Great game, However I Ordered Forza Motorsport 4, not Forza Motorsport 4: Essentials Edition! The essentials edition only comes with disc one so you don't get all the cars!