I've used different types of cameras for security in the past, but most of them have very narrow viewing angles, making it hard to watch a large area with one camera. This camera, however, has a wider viewing angle than most and makes it easy to watch a large area without having to move it too far back.

This camera can be setup with a wired wireless connection...
Published on September 26, 2010 by Nate Monster

The manufacturer commented on the review below
1.0 out of 5 stars Foscam 8904 DSP bug
Published 12 months ago by J Den

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
1.0 out of 5 stars Foscam 8904 DSP bug, July 14, 2013
J Den (Denver, CO) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Foscam FI8904W Outdoor Wireless/Wired IP Camera with 15 - 20 Meter Night Vision and 2.8mm Lens (50° Viewing Angle) - Silver (Electronics)
This review is to inform current owners and potential buyers of a DSP bug that affects the Foscam 8904 line of cameras. This bug exhibits itself by either rebooting, black video or neon colors. Foscam has confirmed the bug and does have a repair procedure in place. Although, users have had varying degrees of friction in processing these repairs. Foscam has responded and claims that all cameras purchased from specific retailers as of November 2013 have the issue 100% resolved. However, new users continue to report faulty cameras from these sources.

This bug affects multiple models of Foscam cameras. In an effort to better comply with Amazon review guidelines regarding duplicate information, the details of this bug can be found in the review linked below.

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Dec 18, 2013 3:15:44 PM PST
Jonathan,

Thank you for your detailed summary of the DSP issue affecting the Foscam MJPEG camera model FI8904W. Please note that all Foscam FI8904W outdoor cameras manufactured after August 15th, 2013 have this issue 100% resolved. In addition, all cameras currently sold by Foscam US through the Foscam US website as well as through Amazon.com direct and the Amazon store "Foscam Digital Technologies LLC" have the issue 100% resolved as of November 2013.

Furthermore, Foscam US (not the manufacturer which is Foscam China) is willing to replace any cameras free of charge (shipping cost covered both ways) which are suffering from this defect. Cameras will be covered if purchased directly from Amazon.com, Foscam Digital Technologies LLC Amazon store or from the Foscam US website. Please contact support@foscam.us if your camera is suffering from this issue and we will happily fix it or replace it free of charge and cover shipping costs both ways. Cameras affected would most likely be those manufactured after January 2013 but before August 2013.

We apologize for the frustration caused to many end users and will do everything within our power to rectify the problem and ensure that you are fully satisfied. Foscam is fully committed and "all-in" with respect to making sure that our customers receive the support and attention they deserve to ensure their satisfaction and repeat business. Again, please contact us at support@foscam.us or call 1-800-930-0949 for immediate assistance 24/7.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good camera, wide angle (although I doubt it's a real FosCam), September 26, 2010

This camera can be setup with a wired wireless connection. Here was my experience with both:
(I'm using Windows 7)

Wired Connection:
This was very easy and quick. I simply took it out of the box, plugged it into the router with the supplied network cable and installed the software on my computer. The software recognized the camera right away, but you don't have to use the software if you just go directly to the camera within your network, i.e. [...]. Once you access the camera within your network, you can view it right away and setup a wireless connection, your mail, ftp upload, and adjust other settings. If you plan to use the wireless connection you will want to enter your wirelsss connection info while you're directly connected to it here.

Wireless Connection:
This is fairly easy once you directly connect the camera to your router and open it's settings. I simply had to supply my wireless SSID (and login/password/encryption type if used) and save it. Then I tunred off the camera, unplugged it from the router, and turned it back on after waiting about 30 seconds. From that point it was connected through the wireless connection instead of the wired connection.

Accessing the camera from outside your home network:
When you access the camera from within your home network, it's simple and easy. But when you go on a trip and you want to view your camera from outside your home network, you have to set some extra things up. This was a little trickier to do, since you will need to be able to open your router settings and adjust them. Basically you need to tell your router to allow outside connections to your camera. In short, I had to allow connections to the camera by forwarding a certain port number from within my router to my camera. Once I did that I could simply type in my router's IP address from anywhere and I could access the camera. If you don't know how to do this, your ISP tech support can probably walk you through it on the phone. Here's how I did this:
(I have a linksys router)
1) I opened up my router settings by going to: [...]
2) I located the Port Range Forward menu (under Applications and Gaming)
3) I entered the following into the first line:
-Start=80
-End=80
-Protocol=Both
-Ip Address=192.168.1.102 (your camera might have a different last number here, you can see it in your address bar when you are accessing your camera)
-Checked the Enable box and hit the Save Settings button
Your mileage may vary but once I did this I could access my camera by entering my computer's IP address into a browser from any location.

Motion Detection / Alarm:
The motion alarm works well, but you will need to adjust it's sensitivity settings for your own needs. You can set it to email you a screen capture when it detects movement and/or upload the screen captures via ftp.

The camera performs well and this model has a wider viewing angle, allowing you to view more area without having to move the camera back. I was looking for a camera like this since most I had tried had very narrow viewing angles.

I gave this camera 4 stars because the instructions were not the greatest. If you don't have experience with IP devices or this kind of thing you might not understand what the instructions are telling you sometimes.

Overall it was an easy setup, no different than setting up any other wireless device.
I will be buying a couple more of these to cover the rest of the areas around my house.

3.0 out of 5 stars Beware - viewing angle of FI8904W is 42-degrees, not 67-degrees, January 29, 2011
I just bought the FI8904W camera to go along with the Foscam FI8918W camera I bought earlier. I was disappointed to find that the field-of-view for the FI8904W was much tighter than the F8918W, even though both are title listed by Amazon as "3.6mm lens, 67-deg viewing angle". I went to the foscam.com website (not foscam.us) and found the spec sheet for the FI8904W. It states a "6mm lens and 42-degree viewing angle". I found that the narrow FOV made it inadequate for outdoor patio coverage. (For the tinkers out there you can buy replacement lenses. Google "IP camera lenses"). It's really too bad it doesn't come with the same lens as the FI8918W. Also, the camera does not have auto-brightness, which can be a problem if you want to view in both bright sun and darkness. On a positive note, it was not too difficult to set up in both wired and wireless modes and the construction seems solid and water resistant. I returned mine but would have kept it if it weren't for the narrow FOV.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Enough, August 23, 2010
LB Long (Bakersfield, CA) - See all my reviews
This IP camera is fine for monitoring. But, I give it 3 stars for the following reasons:

1) Cannot seem to remove/delete the default login used during set-up but then is supposed to be replaced by a log-in/password only I know. This to me is a security issue that makes your server vulnerable to attack and viewing of your premises by anyone with the default user/password and camera address.

2) No technical support other than the tiny set-up manual that comes with the camera.

3) My outdoor cam is mounted atop a roof for proper viewing but the power adapter/supply is too large to fit into an outdoor GFCI covered electrical box which keeps the plug from getting wet. So, I have to use a cold connection between an outdoor extension plug and the power adapter. Right now, I have placed the plugs inside a plastic tupperware type container. I emailed for a solution and hopefully one will be forthcoming.

4) From the purported camera manufacturer's website at [...]:

"Warning: There are a large number of bootleg/knockoff Foscam cameras being sold as "official Foscam" cameras on Amazon and Ebay. The bootleggers have become increasinlgy (sic) proficient in duplicating the physical appearance of our cameras as well as the user interface. Thus, we can no longer provide support or warranties on behalf of ANY Amazon or Ebay resellers, whatsoever. Please protect yourself and purchase direclty (sic) using the links on this page. If you have any questions or concerns please call us directly at 713 893 7869. All returns and replacements are processed through our warehouse in Houston, TX."

I like the camera but right now my advice is to look at purchasing direct from Foscam.us but first make them tell you how to remove and replace the default log-in before you purchase. Then how about telling me by leaving a comment.

Thanks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice camera for the price, July 28, 2010
I've ordered two of these cameras. During testing, I did find the color was quite far off for a few items (one wood table looked pink), but in general it was close enough to not be distracting. Sharpness is fine IMHO. I didn't use the provided software so no comment on it -- setup was straight forward using manaual methods though. The wifi worked fine through 2 walls. I've read the older revision of this camera had ethernet, power, and reset directly on the camera, although nobody had problems with water intrusion they were concerned about how many holes there were to seal. Mine has the power, ethernet, and reset on the end of some cables, that join into one larger cable at the back of the camera, so no worries over complex seals failing on this one. I think it's a great camera for the price, I mean, it costs less than the enclosure alone for some other outdoor camera conversions, and way less than any other outdoor camera I could find.

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
1.0 out of 5 stars No auto-exposure adjustment makes this camera useless, March 10, 2011
I bought this camera to monitor my driveway when I'm not home. The wide-angle is nice and while not fantastic, the video quality is good enough to recognize vehicles or people.

However, the camera has no auto-exposure capability. You can manually adjust the exposure in the web interface to get a fairly good picture, but it's only going to look good while you have the exact same lighting conditions. Get it just right for mid-day on a sunny day, and it will be too dark in the morning and afternoon or when the sun goes behind a cloud. In fact, because it doesn't auto-adjust, the motion sensing can be triggered by nothing more than a cloud passing in front of the sun. And forget using it during the day and at night. If it's adjusted for daytime, you won't see anything but a black screen at night. Adjust it for nighttime and you'll get nothing but a white screen during the day.

The bottom line is that I can't count on this camera to send me emails when there's activity in the driveway since it only reliably detects motion when the exposure is just right. The other 22 hours of the day it doesn't work. I'll be sending it back and looking for something else. I guess that you get what you pay for...

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Dec 18, 2013 3:42:35 PM PST
All Foscam cameras manufactured after January 2012 and sold after March 2012 have the auto-brightness issue resolved.

3.0 out of 5 stars Product is good but be warned, Amazon not Authorized, October 28, 2010
Camera works as I would have expected, currently only able to get the wired operations, WIFI on our N/G/B network has been unsuccessful.

BIG WARNING : Amazon is not authorized to sell these cameras, cannot support them and the manufacturer states they will not support Amazon purchases. This really ticks me off.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not really an "outdoor" camera, May 3, 2012
I bought this camera based on the assumption that Amazon was being honest about this being an 'outdoor' camera. You must hide all of the attached cableing (network interface, poer supply, reset button) indoors. This camera worked well untill the first rain and lightning storm we had (and here in the Pheonix area we don't get THAT much rain) and the power supply blew out. Purchasing a replacement power supply from Amazon allows the camera to power up now but I still cannot get into the network interface to be able to set the camera up nor get an IP address through DHCP. Have tried the 'factory reset' many times and same result. For this price I basically got a doorstop to use in my garage. I would NOT recommend this peice of junk to anybody. On the note of support from Foscam, forget it. The website is sparse on support and they will not answer emails.

4.0 out of 5 stars Foscam Cameras good value for casual use, December 16, 2010
Over the past year I have done a lot of work with network IP cameras including high-end commercial models from Axis Communications; mid-range units from Panasonic and budget cameras from Foscam. I have worked extensively with three Foscam camera models - FI8918W Pan/Tilt, FI8909W-NA fixed camera and the FI8904W fixed outdoor model. All of these cameras were purchased directly from China rather than from Amazon, because Amazon did not offer them when I made my purchases, however, Amazon's price is very good and I would purchase any future units from them.

The Foscam cameras are made by Foscam Intelligent Technologies Co., Ltd. in Shenzhen, China. Their website is often down, apparently due to China's pervasive interference with its Internet service. Despite this, Foscam's support via email is quite responsive considering the time difference.

These cameras have proven reliable after months of service both indoors and outdoors. All of the camera models have been installed outdoors in semi-protected locations, such as under a building eve and the model FI8904W has weathered a less protected location where only the rear of the camera was shielded from rain. Note: only the front of the FI8904W is water resistant, despite what the brochure says.

These cameras are consumer grade with a small sensor and a plastic lens. Display resolution is modest at 640 x 480 Pixels (300k Pixels). They are adequate for general observation and surveillance and are especially good for monitoring a home interior. You can test drive a Foscam FI8918W camera installed in Russia at this link: [...] Login using Server Push Mode as user demo and a password of demo. You can fully control the pan/tilt. Personally, I recommend that you never use the ActiveX mode - it is, in my opinion, buggy.

All of the Foscam cameras come with infrared LEDs built-in the camera face. This enables night vision in black & white. The FI8904W model is particularly good at seeing in the dark, given its large array of infrared LEDs. The manufacturer claims 20 meters of visibility. I can say that a pitch black 20x20 foot room will appear as if the room lights are on in the FI8904W 's video.

The builtin software enables multiple cameras to be linked through its built-in web page, creating a single monitoring center for multiple cameras. A demonstration of this feature can be seen on YouTube at: [...]

One issue is that to save cost, Foscam cameras lack the switchable infrared filter found in more expensive IP network cameras. As a result, the colors of images and videos will not be true, primarily concerning the color green. Plant foliage will appear gray. Given the camera's security goal, this isn't a big issue to me.

All Foscam cameras have built-in software supporting a motion detector feature that can be scheduled by day of week and time of day, in fifteen minute increments. When active, detected motion will cause six time stamped (in the filename) still photographs of what caused the motion to be emailed to the email address of your choice. It supports access to smtp mail servers, such as Yahoo but not SSL servers, such as Gmail.

Lastly, configuring any network IP camera, not just Foscam, is not plug and play and Foscam's little instruction booklet is minimal. Help exists on Internet forums like [...]

2.0 out of 5 stars Hardware seems great for the price, software on the camera is terrible, WPA broken, February 21, 2011
Blade "Blade" (Northern VA, USA) - See all my reviews
On paper, these look like a great bargain, and they would be if Foscam would spend a bit more time on the software/firmware. My other gripe is some sellers (Loft-K) are selling the non wide angle, I had to order from another seller to finally get the 67 degree model. If your image doesn't look like a funhouse mirror, you got the standard angle.

If you aren't up on your camera software and networking, definitely stay away, setup is not for the tech shy. I already had a Zoneminder system up and running on a Linux server with various other cameras, I was looking for something with a bit better night performance.

So on to why I had to return this camera. It is just plain unreliable for video surveillance. If you only use WEP, it is actually somewhat reliable, however if you turn on WPA, forget it. I'm not sure mine even went 24 hours without requiring a reboot. Even if you hardwire, the next software bug will get you if you use any sort of motion detection software. The camera keeps adjusting its light levels, and it does it so fast that it will trigger your motion detection software.

Lastly, the main reason I got this camera over another was the built in IR. When I placed it side by side with a Panasonic camera, which was under $100 and has no IR, the night shots are much better on the Panasonic. The lighting levels are just all wrong and the IRs aren't used to their advantage. The fact that it does not have an IR filter for daytime use means images during the day are pretty rough too.

The real shame of it is, most of this is software issues within the camera, that could be fixed by the maker, but this is really just another one of those cheap Chinese cameras, I was a fool for expecting more.

Rate and Discover Movies