4.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars on everything but user friendliness
First off. I purchased one of these cameras to make sure it meet my needs before getting another and then finally 4 more. I have a total of 6 cameras protecting my property and am using the blueiris software to record and manage the cameras. It is the best software but this review is not for the software ,which is excellent, but for the camera.

Camera...
Published on May 25, 2011 by Eric Ripley

The manufacturer commented on the review below
1.0 out of 5 stars No auto gain or exposure
Customer Video Review     Length:: 2:51 Mins
(for this video review, the USB webcam is on the Left and the Foscam is on the right)

Published on June 18, 2011 by Mokona

4.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars on everything but user friendliness, May 25, 2011
This review is from: Foscam FI8905W Outdoor Wireless/Wired IP Camera with 4mm Lens (50 Viewing Angle) 100ft Nightvision - Silver (Electronics)

Camera construction:
Robust. Perfect for outdoors. In fact all my cameras are outdoors but under overhanging eves. The shell is waterproof and cord out of the camera is waterproof as well.

Wiring the cameras:
These are wireless cameras but i will inform you that you will have to run a wire of some sort as these cameras will need wired power. so i went ahead and wired the cameras via ethernet as well since i had to run power. one suggestion is you can use what i did and run cat6 for the ethernet and POWER. that is if you are technically inclined. I used 4 wires for the ethernet (orange, orange white, green, green white) and the blue and blue white for power and the brown and brown white for ground. I physically cut the power cord that comes with the cameras in half and soldered one end to the ethernet cable extra wires and the other end. the cameras are really low wattage so you can easily get away with this. I ran 40 feet of cable this way and the cameras work fine.

Software on the cameras:
If you get a real foscam then the software built in to the cameras is very good and will do everything you want to do except record video stream. The cameras will do time delay snapshots but for advanced features such as stream captures etc i recommend blue iris software. Make sure you get real foscams as there are unofficial clones with a different interface.

The camera picture quality:
Here is where the camera is both a blessing and a curse. Curse first. The cameras during the daytime show everything as washed out. Grass is white and not green. Trees are a purple hue. But you can see and makeout everything fine. At night everything is of course white as well but the camera has extremely good night vision. The infrared LEDS are so good that if you switch out lenses to a smaller focal you will get a "hot spot" or "ghost ring" of overbright led power. there is a solution for this, see the next section on lenses. Blessing, the camera does night vision perfect and daytime good. what other camera for 100$ has this cameras abilities and build quality? Can you get a better quality camera for daytime..YES. This washed out look is inherent to any IR cameras as the way the infrared filters work. So a camera that doesnt have night vision will look very good during the day but dont let that fool you that this is an inferior camera. Do robbers come during the day? Some do i guess.

Lenses:
The 12mm lense is unusable for me. the quality of the lense is excellent but 12mm shows you a 10 foot by 10 foot area 100 feet down the block. Not good for home surveillance. But good for a radio tower or traffic camera.
You can use CCTV lenses. they just unscrew. lenses are cheap on amazon or ebay. Figure out the focal length you need using online calculator. Im using 1 8mm lense 2 6mm lenses, and 3 2.8mm lenses.
To avoid the ghosting from the overbright LEDs when using smaller lenses....use wax paper. yes the stuff you cook with. cut a ring out that fits over the leds and cut the center section out for the lense and install behind the glass. this filters the infrared, or blurs it if you will, and produces a good night vision without the hotspot.

Networking setup:
The camera is a nightmare. im a IT guy and hate to admit i had a bit of trouble with it. I have it using wired ethernet with wireless as a backup. Im using gmx for my email setup as that provider works with the foscam software for email. I have my cameras accessible over the internet. i suggest you get one camera, dont mount it and configure it in front of your computer and test to make sure its working on your network before mounting it. once you figure out how to network one of the cameras the others are a simple cut and paste and change a few settings such as IP address if you use a static like i did.

Summary:
Almost all the cameras shortcomings can be overcome. the cost of the camera is exceptional for what you get. the networking setup is where most people fail the camera or give it low reviews. its not really the fact that the camera is the problem. there is just alot of configuring to do...email alerts, ftp, web access, wired dhcp static or dynamic, wireless setup and security...etc.
These cameras are alot of bang for the buck. Dont regret my purchases 1%.

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
1.0 out of 5 stars No auto gain or exposure, June 18, 2011
Length:: 2:51 Mins

I have had this camera for a few months now, early on, I noticed that there was no auto gain or exposure. (it somewhat has it but there is a but that keeps it from working, (if you change the modes, eg from outdoor mode to 50Hz mode then back to auto mode, the auto gain kicks in for about 5 seconds then stops working)

I have contacted the company and they said they are working on a firmware update to fix this issue. then upon checking on forums, users basically said forget waiting on a firmware update as they have been saying that for over 3 years now and have never released an update for this issue.

For a rundown on the issues of this camera:

1, Lens is not IR corrected so you will get a black and white image outdoors when ever sunlight is present. (color is fine indoors)

2, No autogain or exposure. This means when ever there is a slight change in the light levels outside, your camera image will either become completely white (overexposed) or black (underexposed), this means you have to constantly monitor it and manually adjust the exposure by switching modes (the software controls for brightness and contrast are post processing so they do not work when the image is over or under exposed)

3, Email notifications use very old standards so most modern email services will not support it. (I had to create an email at gmx.com in order to get email notifications working)

4, While the camera is advertised as 15FPS, even in a bright day, I have never gotten over 8FPS and at night, the framerate drops to 2-3 FPS (the firmware does not allow for adjusting the sensor sensitivity so the way it increases exposure is by lowering the shutter speed.

5, The bolt around the antenna jack was not tightened properly, most users who reported failures, had them because water got into the bolt around the antenna jack when the camera was place outdoors. To fix this, you need to double check that all screws nuts and bolts are tight and if any are loose, then tighten them.

6, While the camera advertises multiple users but it is software crippled to make this an avoidable experience for users. It seems that the company has plans or are already releasing a higher end line of camera that will have more or less the same hardware, so these cameras are software crippled. By this I mean, if more than 1 user connects to the camera, the framerate is reduced by about 75% regardless of if that user is actually requesting data (if you have any DOS tools that can create a pending connection then you connect to the video stream with it but not actually use any bandwidth, the famerate drops.

7, The camera uses a CMOS sensor instead of a CCD, this causes a video problem known as rolling shutter. this means moving objects will appear stretched or slanted as the image is updated by rows instead of all at once like in a CCD

If you have a computer near where you want to monitor, I recommend getting an old webcam and taping it to the window, you will get better picture quality and a higher FPS since even the cheapest webcams have auto gain and exposure which actually prioritize motion so the frame rate is not reduced until max sensor sensitivity is reached.

8, The stock 12mm lens is crap, it is only useful for long range (well over 100 feet (beyond the range of the IR LED's, I had to get a 4mm lens for mine It also did not have a IR cut filter as the ones with them cost 3 times as much, and I only had $4 left in my paypal.

9, The camera has really bad dynamic range, meaning if you are monitoring a location where there if anything that can be considered a shadow, it shows up almost completely black, and if you aim the camera to the shadow then do the mode switch trick to get it exposed, then the non shadow areas are completely white. The camera lacks the ability to average the exposure to handle both the shadow and highlight.

Pros:

1, The camera allows for you to connect it over WiFi or Ethernet, so it can be mounted almost anywhere there's a power outlet near by.

2, It works great for bring mounted at a front door to monitor for package deliveries (this has fixed the problem I had where amazon would use USPS to deliver packages and USPS will just leave the package outside, and those people who walk around sticking those ads on your door will help them self to any packages laying by the door. (I lost a few books and electronics this way)

Additional notes

Cameras with IR light will not work behind a window if you plan to use the IR lights (the glass of the window will reflect the light back at the camera and you will get a completely white image).

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Dec 18, 2013 3:49:23 PM PST
Mokona,

Thank your for your detailed review and pointing out the auto-gain exposure issue. Please note that all Foscam cameras manufactured after January 2012 have the auto-gain and exposure issue resolved. In addition, we have changed the default lens from 12mm to 4mm as you have suggested (many customers recommended this). In addition, we have upgraded the mounting bracket and improved on several of the software and hardware issues you have outlined. If you have any questions please contact us at support@foscam.us or 1-800-930-0949 for an immediate response 24/7

Best,

3.0 out of 5 stars Foscam lottery- Auto IR-LED illumination Edition, November 12, 2013
I recently ordered two FI8905W cameras. I upgraded the firmware and I connected them to my wireless router. The installation process is pretty straight-forward and easy to follow. I played with them for about three weeks and I learned a lot of things. Here are the pros and cons:
Pros:
- You can't beat the price. FI8905W is a surveillance camera with a lot features. It comes with an aluminum case and mount and it seems well built and durable. I've been doing a lot of research and I didn't find any competing product around $100.
- Video and pictures are okay. Compression is good, and it creates nice avi videos. This is not your fancy Sony camcorder, so don't expect to get the Columbia TriStar Motion quality. However, it is a good image for a surveillance camera.
- It comes with wireless N and the streaming looks good.
- Night vision is okay.
- Alarm on motion detector is okay. Sometimes I get an email, sometimes I don't.
Cons:
- The camera URL has a serious security issue. Foscam uses consecutive numbers to generate the camera URLs. If you change one number in the URL you will reach other people cameras. They may be password protected but remember that the camera doesn't use https to encrypt the passwords. That's pretty serious. Foscam should generate random URLs for their cameras. Not consecutive. Moreover, they should switch to https.
- Auto IR-LED illumination stopped working after one week. The night videos were dark and unusable. Foscam support says to point a flashlight to the camera and it will fix the problem. Well, that's true; it may fix the problem until next evening. What if you are on vacation? What if you have 30 cameras? This is silly. I sent it back to Amazon. However, setting up and installing the camera is not a 10 minutes process. It takes time to do it right and it takes time to replace it. I don't like to waste my time.
- Foscam manipulates the reviews on Amazon. I found a lot of 5 stars reviews which look very suspicious. I think Amazon shouldn't tolerate fake reviews. Unacceptable.
- My first FI8905w came in a box which was relabeled. Twice. The box is from a FI8905w camera and the first label says FI8906w. The second label, placed on top of the first one, says FI8905w. The UPC code was relabeled four times. To make things worse, the FI8905W user interface omits on very important detail: camera model. I had no idea what camera I was using. I believe I got a refurbished camera.
Conclusion:
- Buying a Foscam camera is a lottery. If you are lucky, your camera may work without problems for a couple of years. This is Chinese company who wants to sell its products in the US using questionable business practices. I don't trust them. If your camera stops working after 30 days you may be in a big trouble. It is better to go and buy it from WalMrt. Their return policies are much better than anything in the world.

11/24/14
One year later and I'm happy with my camera. It is stable and up and running 24x7. However, I found one minor issue:

The heat and light from the IR light attract spiders which found my camera cover to be hospitable and habitable. A spider web in front of the surveillance camera is invisible during the day but it will totally mess up the image during night time. Every time I tried to remove the spider web, the tiny guy took it personally and made another one within the next 24 hours. Tried everything: insect repellent, insecticide, water resistant silicone lubricant. Nothing worked. The only thing that seems to work is to push the camera top cover all the way to the back. This solved 90% of the problems.

One more thing I would like to add. If you are not sure how serious the consecutive URLs issue is, please watch the following video.

If you don't know how communication ports, web servers and firewalls work, please do yourself a favor and hire an IT guy to secure your camera. This is serious device, not a toy. Until Foscam assigns random https URLs AND random admin passwords to their cameras, there is a pretty good chance for you to get hacked.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good camera, if you must have one that is wireless, April 5, 2014
I'll write up a long review, since getting information about security cameras is pretty hard. But first, here is a quick rundown.

This camera is good for: Door security, installing in an area where running a network cable out to it is not possible, ease of use.
This camera is not good for: High quality video or "snapshots," remote viewing, viewing scenery or wildlife.

I bought 2 of these, for separate purposes. One was for added security on our front door, and one was for viewing the mountains, weather, and wildlife in our back yard. Both cameras are mounted outdoors, under a covered porch. The front door camera works perfectly for security purposes. It has good quality (can easily indentify someone), and send email alerts when motion is detected. For the back yard, I'm not happy with the results. It has a pretty narrow field of view, and objects seem further away than they are viewing them with your eyes. There is no zoom feature on this camera. The image quality is not good for this purpose, and the images are very grainy/pixelated. I will probably purchase the FI9805W model for the back door (or an other brand if I decide to go with a wired camera). An HD-type of camera is necessary for my purposes in the back. This camera has a 640*480 resolution, which is worse than you will get with cell phone cameras these days! However, that kind of low resolution is necessary for constantly emailing alerts, or viewing remotely. Any HD image recording will likely bog down your network. But if you plan on having it take high-resolution snapshots every hour and uploading that to a website, you should be ok. There are a few 3 megapixel cameras out there that blow this one away for quality. For comaprison, this one equates to about 0.3 megapixels.

As for the person bashing on Foscam and saying "don't buy!" on all the Foscam products out there, don't believe his hype. I appreciate that's he's trying to look out for us, I really do. It all depends on what you plan on doing with these. Like I said, one works perfectly for front door security. As for the problems with Foscam cameras, I'd like t point out that all cameras that I have looked into have various problems of their own. And it looks like all the problems related to this person's rantings can be taken care of with firmware upgrades. Yes, products should work well out of the box, but as long as fixes are available, I don't think you can classify something as junk. For the record, I ordered the FI8905W model, and was sent the FI8906W model (for both cameras I ordered). The box says 8905, but the label on the cameras say 8906. None need a firmware upgrade. They came with firware version 11.35.2.49 on them, and while there is a newer version, the updates are very minimal.

Speaking of updates, that's one thing that is great with Foscam. They have firmware listed and easy to find on their website, as well as web page tutorials and video tutorials. They also have a message board where you can ask questions and get support. I haven't found a company yet that offers such good support. I did call their phone support once, and was connected (yes, to someone most likely in India) in about 10 minutes. They sounded very knowledgeable, but keep in mind of you call, their techs will want to take control of your computer to fix the issues you are having. I understand that's probably the easiest way for them to do it, but I was caling just to ask for some tips on how to get port forwarding working (if I had missed any steps or anything like that). I was calling from work, and he wanted to take control of my computer, which was of course at home and turned off, so I didn't get much help there. I ended up getting it figured out, but know that they will do the quick & easy fix of taking control instead of trying to walk you through what you need to do.

Also know that with anything wireless, you will eventually have some connection issues: dropped connections, slower connections, etc. If you want a consistent and fast connection, go with a wired camera. Wireless is inherently unstable, and much harder to set up. Which brings me to that topic. Setup was a bit of a hassle, but with the video tutorials and included documentation, wasn't too bad at all. The documentation doesn't have the best English, but you should be able to get the idea. They also have a lot of screenshots included, which helps. You need to know that these cameras need to be physically hooked up to the network to do their initial setup. Once that is done, you can unhook them and verify the wireless is working before you install them outside. I'd recommend getting someone with a smart phone or laptop (with the live feed going on them) to go with you where you plan on installing, so you can see exactly what it looks like and change your install as necessary. These cameras come with mounting brackets, but they aren't very good. You are pretty limited in how you can install the cameras. The cameras can be mounted normally or upside-down, but not at a 90 degree angle/sideways. If you plan on mounting them to something above you, with the mount coming straight down, know that the mount won't allow for a horizontal, "flat" angle. There will a bit of a tilt down, or if you turn it around, up. That may not be a big deal if you mount it high enough. But it really made me change my plans. You can mount it to the side of something and get a flat angle that way. My front door camera is mounted about 20 feet from my router, and it seems to have a good connection. My back yard camera is about 30 feet from my router, and it loses connection a bit here and there. I've adjusted the antenna on it a bit, and has has helped, but I may need to get one of the cheap 6 ft antenna extenders and mount the antenna on a window sill nearby to get a better connection. My house (and covered porch) does have a metal roof, so that is part of the problem. It will deflect the signal quite a bit. I went with a wireless camera because I live in a log cabin, and I didn't want to drill through the logs. I also don't have the tools to do that anyway. For power, I have an outlet outside that I run the power from - the cords go under my decks and up behind a log that supports the porch, then to the cameras. It's not pretty, but not very noticeable. Yes, someone can come by and unplug them, but I'm not worried about that. You also have to keep in mind that if you want to run the power inside (for better security, keeping someone from unplugging it), you may have to drill a hole about 1 1/4 inches wide at least to accommodate the cord. The cord has the ethernet connection on it, which is not detatchable. If you are going to drill a hole that big, you might as well get a wired camera anyway. You may be able to drill a smaller hole just for the power cord, but then you'd have the ethernet cable hanging outside the house, which is how I have mine. It's tucked away behind the camera. Again, not the most professional install, but it works for me. Also know that there is a reset button on one of the cables, making yet another reason to try to run the cables into the house.

On to the features, and how they work! You don't need any software to use these cameras, or a DVR or even a computer (other than doing the initial setup). You do need a wireless router, and you will need to know how to configure it for wireless security (highly recommended, but not mandatory), and for port forwarding (if you want to view the cameras remotely, from work or a hotel or something like that). Again, there are tutorials available on Foscam's site, and the instructions are pretty good about showing you the processes. Once set up, to view the live feed with a computer, use Internet Explorer because it will give you the most options. Use the camera's IP address, port number, user name & password, and you're in. You can also use a smart phone app. There is one called Foscam Viewer, it's free, but NOT easy at all to set up. You can also use Firefox or Chrome internet browsers, but their functionality is a little limited. I use Chrome most of the time. For remote viewing, I have not been able to consistenly do that. I think it's because of the weak signal because my connection times out quite a bit. So what I dis is set up an FTP connection to a website I have. I set the camera to upload a new image every 10 minutes, and use some coding to get the image on the website to automatically refresh every 10 minutes. It works pretty well, so I do't really need a live feed. I also set motion alerts to email me, and tht works well. It will attach 4-6 pictures in the email, and they seem to be spread out about 1 second apart, though there is no way to set the timing between photos on that. You can set it to use multiple email addresses as well. The night vision on these things works great - it can be pitch black out and when someone comes to the door, you can see the details very clearly. As for videos, these cameras won't record video, unless you use some computer software. iSpy is a good one (and it's free). It's not the most user-friendly, but it's not hard to figure out, either. You can use that to record video to your computer, and use it to get more snapshot options. I will override the settings you gave the cameras when the program is running. The problem with the software option is that your computer has to be on all the time for it to work. Once you close the program, your cameras operate how they would have before using the software. There is also a Foscam program included on the CD the cameras came with, but it doesn't look like it has nearly the same options as Ispy does. I think the coolest option I found was one that allows you to set one camera's motion trigger to autmatically force another camera to start recording. It also looks like you can set it to upload videos to your YouTube account, if you have one. I did a few video tests, and the file sizes are extemely small. One 30 second video was about 140 Kb, and a 10 second video was 120 Kb. So you shouldn't have a problem storing a lot of videos. Still image sizes are about 50 Kb. Bandwidth usage hasn't been a problem with all teh FTP uploads and email alerts, but obviously if you get a HD-type of camera, it will be something you'll need to consider. I haven't seen any options to get text alerts to your phone.

Other thoughts.... they do look to be waterproof or at least pretty resistant. We've had rain and snow since I installed them, and several times the back camera has gotten wet. The hood (which is adjustable and removeable) has been soaked, but the lense is clean and dry as can be. It hasn't fogged up yet. It gets below freezing at night, and no problems there, either.

Overall, I'm happy with the front door camera. I think I'll eventually move the one out back to the front and cover more of the porch, and but a better "HD" type of cam for the back yard. If I can figure out a way to drill a hole, I'll probably try the Hikvision one. It's gotten great reviews, but that said I have seen a lot of complaints about it on discussion boards.

Another option I heard about was using wired cameras, and getting a DigiVue (or something similar) PCI card for your computer. Run the cameras to your computer instead of a DVR, and then set up port forwarding on your router, and you will have IP cameras that way. Again, you'd have to have your computer on 24*7, but it's a way of getting high quality cameras to work as IP cameras. I haven't found any one camera or system that really stands out, so I thought I'd mention it.

I think your best bet would be to find a camera you think will work for you, then research their website and see if you can find good documentation, tutorials, updates, etc. Download and read through all of it to see if the setup looks like something you can do. Download any firmware updates and look through those to see if the updates look necessary. I don't normally recommend doing firmware updates, becuase a botched update can ruin your camera, but look through them especially for Foscam cameras that are getting bad reviews. The good thing about Foscam is they have a "Readme" file, or it will have a section in the install instructions, on what specifically the firmware update fixes. For example, my camera's firmware update says is fixes these issues:
1) Fix the bug that no need to do authentication when using some CGI commands;
2) Forbid using blank space in login username;
3) Support some special characters in login password.
None of these are big enough issues for me to risk doing the update, but if you find some on a different model you want to do, make sure to do the firmaware update with the camera phsically plugged into the network. That's why I recommend downloading them before you even order the camera. That way you can do the upgrade before installing outside and having to take them down and bring back inside.

Good luck, hopefully this info helps someone out. If you'd like more details or have questions, I'll try to keep an eye on this and answer quickly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Bad for the Price, but Takes Some Work, February 4, 2011
First of all, I just have to say; you need to actually look at the dimensions of this baby. I really expected it to be much small, but then, what would I be able to tell from a picture of just the camera?

As others have said, the pigtail on this thing is VERY cumbersome. The Ethernet cable/Rest switch/Power leads make securing this camera a challenge. I will try to post some pics to give you an idea...

I of course refuse to use the windows software, so this review is for Linux or Mac users.

Once you unwrap the camra and get it set up someplace inside, connect the Ethernet cable to your switch or router then check the DHCP log for the new device. Open Firefox and put that IP into your browser location field. The camera will display a login screen. If you do not get the login screen for that IP, you might need to push the rest button and wait about 1-minute for the camera to reset. Then refresh your browser. Ignore the ActiveX portion at the top and select the Login button at the bottom of the display. You will get a login popup. Enter "admin" for the userid and lease the password blank. This will get you to the device status. You will also see the "Live Video" and "Device Management" tabs which you can Read The Fun Manual for.

One BIG gotcha that took a while and some googling. You can thank me later. The camera works great inside and the night vision is amazing with the Eye of Sauron LEDs shining brightly, but when you take it out into the sunlight, the live image goes totally white. On the "Live Video" page, find the "Mode" button, click on the pulldown selector and select "Outdoor". Poophtah! You have an image again. You may need to adjust the brightness and contrast a bit.

It won't do wireless and wired at the same time. Set up the wireless, unplug the wire, and reset the camera. If you leave the wire attached, it just seems to disable it.

An annoyance: the camera seems to always have a component of IR sensitivity. If you want true colors, don't even bother. Warm colors seem to work, but blues and greens are washed out to a night-vision look. For me, I can deal with it because I plan to enjoy the night vision component for watching deer and raccoons around my LakeShack.

Pros:
Good price
good nightvision
Fairly good resolution
Works with Firefox and Linux
Works with my MiniCam Android App. (You'll need to set up dynamic DNS and a port pass-through on your router...google it)
Supposedly works with ZoneMinder on Linux...Hope to try that.
I tested the FTP portion and it worked fine. (Wish it would let me change the names it uploads like Trendnet cameras)
live video without ActiveX

Cons:
Really big! It won't be discrete
IR LEDs are very red in the dark. Again not discrete
Mounting bracket is barely usable.
Poor color rendering
VERY narrow field of view. Good for distance, not great for covering a wide area close to the building.
Did I say it was big?
Power supply is one of those wall-ticks and it gets really hot.

TL/DR: Good for the price, great for night vision, works without Windows and Internet Exploder.

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
1.0 out of 5 stars Foscam 8905 DSP bug, July 14, 2013
J Den (Denver, CO) - See all my reviews
This review is to inform current owners and potential buyers of a DSP bug that affects the Foscam 8905 line of cameras. This bug exhibits itself by either rebooting, black video or neon colors. Foscam has confirmed the bug and does have a repair procedure in place. Although, users have had varying degrees of friction in processing these repairs. Foscam has responded and claims that all cameras purchased from specific retailers as of November 2013 have the issue 100% resolved. However, new users continue to report faulty cameras from these sources.

This bug affects multiple models of Foscam cameras. In an effort to better comply with Amazon review guidelines regarding duplicate information, the details of this bug can be found in the review linked below.

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Dec 18, 2013 3:18:14 PM PST
Jonathan,

Thank you for your detailed summary of the DSP issue affecting the Foscam MJPEG camera model FI8905W. Please note that all Foscam FI8905W outdoor cameras manufactured after August 15th, 2013 have this issue 100% resolved. In addition, all cameras currently sold by Foscam US through the Foscam US website as well as through Amazon.com direct and the Amazon store "Foscam Digital Technologies LLC" have the issue 100% resolved as of November 2013.

Furthermore, Foscam US (not the manufacturer which is Foscam China) is willing to replace any cameras free of charge (shipping cost covered both ways) which are suffering from this defect. Cameras will be covered if purchased directly from Amazon.com, Foscam Digital Technologies LLC Amazon store or from the Foscam US website. Please contact support@foscam.us if your camera is suffering from this issue and we will happily fix it or replace it free of charge and cover shipping costs both ways. Cameras affected would most likely be those manufactured after January 2013 but before August 2013.

We apologize for the frustration caused to many end users and will do everything within our power to rectify the problem and ensure that you are fully satisfied. Foscam is fully committed and "all-in" with respect to making sure that our customers receive the support and attention they deserve to ensure their satisfaction and repeat business. Again, please contact us at support@foscam.us or call 1-800-930-0949 for immediate assistance 24/7.

2.0 out of 5 stars Really Bad for Outdoor Setup, March 31, 2013
WilliWu (Boston, MA USA) - See all my reviews
What they do not show in the pictures is a huge cable/connector collection that is not weatherproof and cannot be disconnected from the camera after wireless setup. This leaves you with the choice of either drilling a large hole (1-inch plus) in the side of your house, or building a special weatherproof enclosure (almost as big as the camera) to house the cables and connectors outside. In theory; all that should be needed after wireless setup is a very thin DC power cable that would require only a 1/8 inch hole to be drilled through the wall and require no extra housing for cables and connectors. I don’t know how much they saved by not designing the setup cable to be disconnected before outdoor installation, but they have certainly lost one customer for failing to do so. This was a huge disappointment to me because it is otherwise a very nice camera and the technical support was excellent.

4.0 out of 5 stars Got what I wanted..., July 31, 2011
MrPossum "Mr P" (Chappell Hill, TX) - See all my reviews
I got what I wanted out of this little camera. After reading over a lot of reviews of the Foscam line on Amazon I was a bit skeptical, but this camera works as advertised!

It arrived in short order, packed well. I opened the box and had it online in a matter of minutes. First, you have to plug it into your wired network, set some configuration settings and then unplug it, reboot and voila! WIRELESS! We left it in the server room and let it "burn-in" for a day before the chore of mounting.

The mount they give you with the camera - THROW IT AWAY! It can barely handle the weight of the camera and if it gets hit by high winds, it will fail. I mounted it inside an old weatherproof camera enclosure for one of my old CCTV security cameras. The power cable is so short I placed the power supply inside the enclosure too. We mounted it on a pole above our parking lot next to the barn just about sunset... It is about 150 ft. from our wireless router.

We went inside, brought up the window on the PC and we had good video! OK, B&W and it looked like we were looking through a night-vision scope, but it worked great! I could walk around outside and my wife can see me plain as day. The IR goes out to about 60-70 ft. reliably but gets a little sketchy after that - I will solve this issue by mounting some new floodlights OUT of the camera's view, shining out into the parking lot.

When daylight came, we watched the sunrise bounce off of the parking lot and we got COLOR! Sure, it is a little fuzzy, the colors are off because it IS an IR camera after all, it looks sort of like a web-cam view, but it works pretty good!

Caveats - The mount is cheesy, the adjustment to light changes is a little slow and you have to be careful not to point it AT lights or highly reflective material or it will fool the internal light adjustments of the camera. DONT point it where the sun can ever cross the path of the lens's view - period. Unless you WANT to ship it back for a replacement. IR cameras HATE to see the sun directly and will have a very short useful lifetime. The dongle hanging off the back isn't weatherproof so you have to make it so somehow (which is why I put mine inside another enclosure that holds the power supply as well!). The power supply cable is too short.

But hey, for a $100 buck weatherproof camera - you can't get much better on the market as far as I am concerned - I am very happy with my purchase, even though I had to do a little engineering of my own to make it durable enough to handle the Texas heat and weather and to suit my application, I look forward to using it daily.

MP

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good camera for the price, December 1, 2011
Before I go on any further, basic wireless skills are required. The more familiar you are with setting up wireless networks, the easier it will be to set up camera . It took me about 10 minutes to set up this camera. Set up goes as following:

1) Set up the base of the camera in the location that you desire, don't mount the camera until the very end. This is the set you make sure the camera has all proper requirement such as power,setting up the the base etc. Once the basic tool set up is completed, move to the next step.

2) Bring the camera inside your home and put it near your wireless router. The closer they are, the easier it will be to plug things together. Plug in the ac adapter from the camera to the outlet and wait for the camera to be fully on. It Should take less than 30 second to first turn on.

3)Once the camera is on, plug the Ethernet cable from the camera and plug in behind the wireless router into one of the empty slots. Most router have a total of 5 slots.

4). Leave the cables connected . With the cables connected, go ahead and install the CD that is provided in the box. Follow the instructions until it installs the software that will help you identify the cameras IP address. Once the software is installed, a window will pop up with the IP address of the camera. Select it and double click it. A blue window will pop up through your internet browser. It will take you to the cameras set up options. The standard password to log in is "admin". The password field should be left blank.

5) Once you enter the cameras password, you will be take into the set up menu, click on Device management. Once the full menu is displayed click on Wireless LAN Settings. Press the scan button to locate your home network, enter your password and select submit. The camera will reboot it self within 30 seconds once you have successfully entered your wireless network passwords. Once the camera reboots, feel free disconnect the Ethernet cable that links the camera to the router. The hardest part is now over. The minute you hit submit both your network and the password will be saved in your cameras memory. Feel free to disconnect all cables, including the ac adapter.

6) Go set install the cameras in the mount, either outside or inside your home. The minute you plug the ac adapter, the camera will automatically register to the network. You will be able to view the camera through the software that you installed in the beginning(IP camera tool.)

I will be uploading pictures of the menu later on to help avoid confusion.
Its not as hard as it looks, all you need is a little patience. The user has the option to use other programs to view their IP cameras. I use iSpy. The basic program is free and very great. They have a paid version that includes more features such as viewing your cameras on your phone etc. The basic version is free and will do just fine for many.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Camera For The Price, June 21, 2011
This camera seems to work pretty well. The light sensor and auto adjustment are a little slow, but my security software seems to handle the coarse adjustments without any false triggers. Basically, if you watch the images around dusk, you'll see your pictures get fairly dark before the camera adjusts. Hopefully, Foscam will provide an update that fixes this, but it's really just an annoyance to me.

The mount is a little cheesy. The base appears to be thin aluminum and the ball joints don't enspire confidence. Having said that, I used Red Threadlock on everything once the cameras were mounted and aimed and they haven't budged in the wind and rain.

Like others have done, I used a silicone-based sealant (RTV) around the cable and antenna, just to be safe. They didn't look waterproof, but they should be now.

I've had a bit of an issue with DHCP via Windows Server 2008 R2. Sometimes, two cameras configure with the same IP address although I have distinct reservations for each MAC address. I think this may be WS, but I haven't figured it out yet. You can always assign a static address that is outside your DHCP pool and this becomes a non-issue.

Pros: Cheap, fairly compact, GOOD IR illumination, VGA picture is outstanding, the detail is really good. easy to set up if you're familiar with wireless LAN/AP and device configuration.

Cons: Mount is flimsy, auto bright/contrast is a little clunky, although it does work. Slow framerates on my fairly quiet N network. I see about 12FPS at 640x480.

Overall, I'd recommend this camera to be used for home security. I have two more on the way along with an FI8904W with a shorter lens.