4.0 out of 5 stars Great Camera

1.0 out of 5 stars Foscam 8906 DSP bug
Published 12 months ago by J Den

1.0 out of 5 stars Foscam 8906 DSP bug, July 14, 2013
J Den (Denver, CO) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Foscam FI8906W Outdoor Wireless IP Camera (Gray) (Electronics)
This review is to inform current owners and potential buyers of a DSP bug that affects the Foscam 8906 line of cameras. This bug exhibits itself by either rebooting, black video or neon colors. Foscam has confirmed the bug and does have a repair procedure in place. Although, users have had varying degrees of friction in processing these repairs. Foscam has responded and claims that all cameras purchased from specific retailers as of November 2013 have the issue 100% resolved. However, new users continue to report faulty cameras from these sources.

This bug affects multiple models of Foscam cameras. In an effort to better comply with Amazon review guidelines regarding duplicate information, the details of this bug can be found in the review linked below.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Camera, June 17, 2013
Anthony Kazarian (Highland Park, IL United States) - See all my reviews
The product I purchased was Sold By Foscam and Shipped By Amazon, not Wayfair. This was my first IP Camera purchase. I had done a ton of research on cameras because I had specific needs. That is the most important question a user should answer for themselves: What do I NEED, and what do I want. In my case, a simple monitoring of the front door for mail delivery, package delivery, and so on. I'm less concerned about intruders - so a basic monitoring system was all I needed. I also wanted to monitor from a PC and didn't want to connect up to a DVR. So in my research I discovered two kinds of cameras: dumb and smart. Dumb cameras are less expensive and all the logic is built into an external device (DVR). Smart cameras have their own logic built in (IP Cameras). So I knew I wanted a smart camera. I didn't realize at the time how important motion sensing would be, because again, this was my first camera.

Overall I'm not disappointed, the camera works as promised but you kind of have to know what you're doing to set everything up - it's not intuitive, but the instructions are good enough and anyone who has connected PCs to a LAN should be able to figure it out (with google). You do not need external software to run this camera, and it operates just fine for my needs. However, without separate software you use a browser to access the logic in the camera, and with different browsers, they don't all offer the same functionality. You get more functionality if you use Internet Explorer browser than you do if you use Firefox or Safari. With the latter two you cannot trigger an audible alarm during motion detection, and you cannot record video once the alarm is triggered. If you use Internet Explorer, you can do both. For basic needs, you do not need any other software to run this camera, but there are reasons to buy professional monitoring software like Blue Iris, which I also purchased.

The camera itself is sturdy, there are two complaints that I read about that were true with the 8906 - at night, the IR LED's are visible and look like a bicycle reflector. If I were after undetectable surveillance, this would have been a bummer. Secondly, and probably more importantly, the cables running out of the camera total 30 inches. So you're going to need extensions for power, for sure. That cable provides for an ethernet connection, power, and has a reset switch. There is no way to access the reset switch if the cable is run through walls, so all in all, it's pretty useless. Since it's a wireless camera, you don't need to run ethernet. However, if you wanted to power it through ethernet, you'd have to buy some additional gear, but more importantly, you're going to have to have a pretty big (approx 1.5") hole to fish that connector through. Since the wireless works fine, I've decided to only put one small hole in the building to run power, but had to buy 2-10 foot power extension cables for this camera (on Amazon @ about $10 each). That leaves the Ethernet connection outside of the house, so that has to be weather proofed - duct tape and a plastic bag secured with cable ties. The power connection extension cables can be pulled apart with a modicum of effort, so before fishing it through the walls, I used duct tape and small cable ties to prevent them from coming apart.

I searched high and low for examples on how to install the camera externally, and found only one youtube video that did an excellent job, by leftism11. It's an exceptional review of mounting considerations.

The mounts - in a nutshell, the mount sucks. It's cheap aluminum that can be easily ripped right out of the wall. It's not a deal breaker, and they do sell additional mounts separately. I read one review where the user opened the box, saw the mount and sent it right back. That's a little extreme for my purposes, but just know that the mount is not nearly as high quality as the camera. I used molly bolts to make it more difficult to rip the camera out. There's a review on youtube of an intruder stealing the camera, so mounting became more important for me. Keep in mind though that is is not a tamper proof camera, and is not advertised as such. There are those kinds of cameras, but for added security, some thought should be given to how it's mounted.

So once installed how does it work? The camera is great - when motion is sensed, it's set to take four snapshots and email them to me (through the software in the camera, set by the browser), and it records video until no more motion is detected. The quality - it's pretty good. I can see who is coming and going, although I'm not sure that I would be able to identify the person in the video at a police line up, still, for the price, I wouldn't complain. Frankly, it's really a nice camera. You just have to be prepared to go through some rig-a-ma-roll to get it installed/mounted properly. But from the standpoint of doing what it says, and being acceptable at what it says, I'm very happy with this unit.

Final notes: I've investigated other camera manufacturers, and Foscam, by far, has the most comprehensive instructions and technical support. There are a lot of Foscam installations, although, most of those are indoor cameras with pan, tilt, and zoom. This camera is very good at what it advertises and if I had to do it again, would choose this same camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amateur's First Impression, July 5, 2013
I just got this camera set up and working. So far, I am extremely happy with it. First, a disclaimer: I am not a camera/video/photo/surveillance enthusiast at all. I'm an IT guy that had a basic need to monitor a small area behind my house.

Setup: From the time I unpacked the camera to the time I had it working with the motion capture feature and an email trigger, was exactly ONE HOUR. I basically plugged in the camera indoors, turned on WPS on my wireless router and joined the camera up to my network within 5 minutes. The next 30 minutes involved downloading Blue Iris (as recommended by many other reviewers for various cameras - free for 15 days, then $30 for the single camera edition), finding a good vantage point, and getting Blue Iris connected. The final 25-30 minutes was simply setting up the basic options, like motion capture, email alerts, and testing the unit. Honestly, it was very easy for me to get this up and running. I did NOT use the embedded web-based software on the camera, which may be half the reason why it was so easy.

Pros (so far):
- Ease of setup, as mentioned (WPS made this a snap)
- Night vision: (to me, it's very clear and works OK with trip-lights. I have two Dorcy battery-powered trip-lights above my garage door and even when tripped, the visual quality of the camera (viewing the same area) is very good. I did test this without the trip-lights and it still looks great. There is a a white "aura" that may cause you to work a bit to find the best angle, but as I understand it, this is normal for this type of camera.
- Motion capture: so far the motion capture is spot-on. I tested it a few times and it worked great even with the trip-lights i mentioned earlier. They did not interfere with the motion capture. I set Blue Iris to record a minute of footage each time.
- Features for price (motion capture, alerts, good viewing angle/width).

Cons:
- Size: As mentioned, the Foscam 91xx series cameras are not small (slightly bigger than a handheld camcorder). Not a dealbreaker, this just isn't a camera for someone looking to be sneaky.
- Concealment: Same as above, it's too large to conceal and the infrared sensors are fairly bright and easy to see. It looks like a heat lamp when looking directly into it.

Unfortunately I can't comment on the camera's software, and all of the other features I love really come from Blue Iris (alerts, etc) but as I understand it, the camera has to support those features for Blue Iris to use them, it's simply easier to use. For me, the $130 total package was worth it so far. I've seen $200 cameras with less options before buying any third party software. Some brief words about Blue Iris and the camera.. The motion capture works well with recording functions. By default every trip of the motion capture records about 1 minute of footage. The alert setup was very easy. So far, I only set up email alerts through Gmail, but this only took a minute to configure and test. Each trigger of the motion capture sent a snapshot via email. Again, I know other cameras support this, but it was very simple to configure and test.

So far I am very happy with this camera. I haven't testing ranges or the viewing range yet, but so far it's perfect. The camera is mounted about 10 feet away from the target area and from that distance I can see my entire garage door (2 car garage) and then some. I would be able to make out basic features of a person or animal with my current setup. Note that you do need a power source and there is no inherent storage device for video capture. By default this will not stream video or record any decent lengths of video (which is one reason I wanted Blue Iris - endless recording space and no swapping of SD cards).

Hope this helps.. as I use the camera I'll update this review. This is simply a first look. I was so happy to get this thing up and running within an hour I figured it was worth mentioning.

1.0 out of 5 stars Buyer Beware, August 26, 2013
I have two other model Foscam cameras that work well, including a F18905W outdoor camera, I bought this one because I wanted an outdoor camera with a wider angle lens. When this camera works, it has a great picture both day and night. However, I can only get this model to connect about 10% of the time. Complete garbage. Do not buy this camera!

2.0 out of 5 stars Useless as a security camera, November 3, 2013
It is useless as a motion detector camera. On high sensitivity it takes pictures of the wind. On medium setting it didn't even capture my car moving slowly in the driveway. The video feed stopped working after 12 hours until I had to unplug the power. Remote reset did not work. Pressing the reset button did not work. Unplugging it for 5 seconds did not work. Unplugging it for 2 minutes finally worked. I was pretty impressed with the video both day and night but I bought it for the security aspects and those are basically useless. The manual (both printed and PDF) are for the FI8905W and talk about features that don't even exist on the FI8906W (they just relabeled the box with a sticker). If you just want to be able to see what is outside, or inside, while you are at home it might work. If you want to use this remotely don't waste your money.

3.0 out of 5 stars Quality control still an issue, February 1, 2014
I received this camera this afternoon and its been up and running for about 4 hours on a wired connection. The wireless does not work at all. This is my 5th Foscam camera. All of my others had different quirks of their own and they all died for good after about a year. So why do I keep coming back? Price + Features. I have tried other brands and they have all had the same issues as my Foscams. I figured this time I would just hope I got a fairly decent one and if it dies in less than a year then hopefully they will stick to their replacement guarantee. I'm not going to send it back because I do have Ethernet run to the location already, so this is something I can live with and if I send it back then I chance getting one with a defect I can't live with, like the ir-cut feature missing or broken (this happened many times in the past with several brands.) So far the picture both day and night are pretty good. The viewing angle is generous also. The mount is also much improved over my older outdoor Foscams.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well, after some setup issues resolved, May 19, 2014
Darl Kuhn (Aguilar, Colorado) - See all my reviews
This camera provides good video and motion detection, with pictures emailed to you, just as advertised. This camera is exactly what I wanted. The only issue was that the setup wasn't as easy as I had hoped. Here are a few items that would have saved me hours of time:
* The IPCamera tool didn't work on my Windows 7 box, but worked fine on an old Macintosh.If IPCamera doesn't work, and you don't have a Macintosh computer available, then you can still get the IP information from your DHCP client table from your router (assuming you've directly connected the camera to a port on your router). You don't need IPCamera to set this up.
* There are two MAC addresses for the camera, one is the hardwired address, the other is for wireless, there's a label on the back of the camera that has these. Use the wireless MAC address if you need to statically configure an IP address on the router for the camera.
* Using google mail, port 587 worked (and 25 did not).
* If you get this camera, look for the "AwkwardHamster" user on youtube who has many very useful videos on how to setup these Foscam cameras. This guy shows how to configure the email, how to get the free domains (like from no-ip), and so forth. If I had started by watching his videos, this would have saved many of hours of frustration.
* I couldn't initially get the viewing the camera from the internet working, and it turned out my ISP provider was blocking the view from computers connected on the local LAN, so it was working fine, but I just didn't realize it at first, once off the LAN, I could see the camera just fine from the free no-ip domain I setup.
* I was initially using a Chrome browser to set this up, and noticed my screens didn't have all the options available in the camera setup tool. I switched to using Internet Explorer, and all of the options are there now.

But like I said, once configured, the camera is working exactly like I want it to...

3.0 out of 5 stars They do work reasonably well. But not nearly stable enough for a security application., April 26, 2014
These things are really flakey, after using them for several months, I can very confidently say I would never use them in a security/surveillance application. Between the firmware bugs, disconnection issues, picture quality/noise. The ideal application is probably a baby monitor, as the night vision works very well, and for live view (not recording), they do work reasonably well. But not nearly stable enough for a security application.

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor resolution, April 25, 2014
This just didn't work for my exterior needs. Picture quality fell short. I returned it and went with a 3MP IP cam

2.0 out of 5 stars Eh, maybe... Maybe not., January 8, 2014
Woodlandsman "Woodlandsman" (Woodlands, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
I have had a lot of time to fiddle with this camera, and after upgrading my wireless to 5gz on all relevant devices this thing finally started behaving fairly well for me.

Comes with poor documentation and the phone call help was useless, but - for the price - if you have the time you can get good pictures out of this thing.

The included (basic) software to access/operate the camera - accessed by hard wire connection with a patch cable to the camera - is on/in the camera itself. That's why you have to connect to the camera by hard wire to set it up: you have nothing to set up without getting the camera to serve you the menus itself!

Now, that's a big problem... If, for instance, you change your wireless password on your router... or, you switch routers, networks, etc. Now your camera "doesn't work" and you can't get the camera to serve you the menus because it has the OLD password and that doesn't work anymore!

What to do about that? Keep a ladder handy? Yes, with a little forethought, you might get around all or most of that. But, odds are you won't and that will be BIG problem someday.

The IP Connect software from the included disk (or, downloaded from Foscam) allows you to find camera ip addresses. Once you see the ip address you want/need/hope for, double click it to have the camera serve you the image, then click "device management" to program the camera(s) for example, to assign if you want to, the future IP address for the camera(s)using your computer.

(If you have problems just getting started any other way, access your router's ip table, find your related mac address (there are two on the stickers on the camera), and manually open a browser with the found ip address. "Brut force access," but it will work.)

The main problem I have/had, by the way, is/was having exactly the right ip address, camera password, and wireless password. It-has-to-all-be-exactly-right-to-work. Press "submit" and wait for the camera to reboot before unplugging the "patch" cable. You should not need to power the camera down and up, but you may need to close your browser tab and double click the IP address in IP connect to get your image back...

Logging in for the first time under wireless should only take a few seconds. If it takes longer - recheck everything you just did and try again. When it works - and it only works when it's right - it's fairly quick to provide the access screen and then the picture.

Once you get things set up, I suggest you bench test your camera(s) for a couple of days just to make sure you want to get up on the ladder and drill those holes... for this thing. And, because running up and down the ladders later (and again and again) might be a real drag too...

Think carefully, however, about getting a hard wired camera, ip or not, instead of going wireless. This one, requiring a hard wire connection to find, and sometimes change the camera settings, is going to really piss you off at some point(s). Hardwired cameras are much more "set and forget."

"After market" camera software - Blue Iris, Spy Cam, etc. - will all find the camera(s) once you get the basics working. But, your mileage will vary depending on the real world speed of your wireless connection (walls, etc.), the speed of your computer, and lots of other expensive things.

For the DIY types, dedicated DVRs and hardwired cameras are, in the long run, way easier and cheaper to set up - and live with...

Good luck.

Foscam FI8906W Outdoor Wireless IP Camera (Gray)
$119.95 $92.99