Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Foscam FI8910W Pan & Tilt IP/Network Camera with Two-Way Audio and Night Vision (Black)
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro STEM

Color: Black|Package Type: Standard Packaging|Change

on March 31, 2014
Bought this to use as a baby monitor. Setup took a bit longer than I'd like, but gets easier each time I perform a reset on the camera. I've tried several differnet apps on my iphone, ipad, and old andriod phone. (I've spent over $20 on apps) All experience the same thing, so I know it's the camera. Sometimes it works great, but then connection will drop and it can take anywhere from 30-60 minutes to get a good connection again. Then it drops again shortly afterwards, cycle repeats. Rarely will this ever work for 60 straight minutes. It's not consistent and provides no ease of mind, especially at night when I'm trying to sleep because I have no way of knowing it's not working without picking up my ipad or iphone. I even bought a wifi repeater and tried using that. Same issue. When I called tech support, their simple answer is perform a hard reset (button on the bottom) even though I'd already done that. I've tried google to find answers. I've updated firmware, etc. I'm not sure how this camera gets such good reviews. I'm also not sure how people keep saying tech support (and giving their name) was a great help. Seems like bogus reviews if you ask me. I was hoping this would work because I'm expecting another baby and wanted one for his room as well as my 2 year old. I've been trying for 2 months to get this thing to work and I'm about ready to give up because I'm wasting too much time!
on March 3, 2012
This is a very good product that does what it says it can do. The quality of the pictures for the purpose I bought it (watching my two year old)is just perfect. Features, awesome!

My key disappointment is how difficult it is to set up for remote monitoring.

Let me start by saying that I am not a techie by any stretch. I have a basic understanding of computers, I know what an IP address is and some other basic networking principles; however I don't care/want to know anything about routing tables, port forwarding etc. Not interested! So I think I am pretty much the average parent wanting to put in some self-help technology and way too busy to spend hours trying to make it work.

Out of the box the camera is really easy to set up within your home network- no problem! However when you want to set it up for monitoring from outside your home (which is really the whole point about having this camera!) that's when the "fun" begins.

First of all the manufacturers do not care to ship the most up to date manual with the product. Then you have to learn real fast about things like static IP address, dynamic IP, port forwarding, get a domain name from DYDNS etc etc. Don't worry calling their "help desk"- totally unhelpful and take no accountability for anything.

I got it to work eventually, but it took me a good 4 hours over 3 days to get it working properly, and I needed a domain name (NOT FREE!).

They could really improve this product by making it easier to set up and improve their Customer Support.
1717 comments|132 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 15, 2012
I own 3 Cams the D-Link 930L(my first cam), D-link 932L, and Foscam FI8910W. I have the D-link 932L at the front door, because it has Night Vision. The D-Link 930L facing my sliding back door it doesn't have Night Vision. I have the Foscam facing out the second floor window of my room overlooking my backyard. I like the Foscam it has a good picture but a little choppy compared to my 932L. The field of view of the Foscam seems wider compared to my 930L. I Like the Pan/Tilt, because it lets me scan my whole backyard where my 930L only lets me see part of my yard. The Night Vision on the Foscam doesn't work for me, because the Cam is a little fat, and sits far enough away from the window that it reflects the IR back blinding it. My 932L I can push up against the window allowing the IR to get through the glass, if you need a good front door cam with Night Vision I would recommend getting D-Link 932L. The Foscam was easy to setup only one small hic was that it changed the IP address by 3 numbers when I unplugged it to go wireless. No big deal, because the IP Camera Tool on the CD will show you the change. The Firmware was also the latest version, which was nice to see on an out of the box device. All in all if you need a good indoor cam this is a great cam to have. If you want to use it to monitor the outside of your house at night I wouldn't recommend it, unless you're going to mount it outside not sure how weather proof it is. The Night Vision thing was the only reason I dropped it one star. I use my iPad to monitor all my cams with an app called uCamPro HD, it cost $10 after you do the in app purchase for multi cams. It allows me to view all my cams live not just one live, and the rest still images like some apps do. With all my cams I feel like Tony Montana from Scarface. lol
on March 31, 2014
The camera works great. I can't believe how well the IR lights work at night. When it's pitch dark you all you see is a black screen. Turn the lights on and you see everything in the room (I'm using this indoors). My biggest complaint was the hoops you have to jump through to get it to work from outside your network. It would be nice if Foscam had some kind of assistant that walks you though the port forwarding and had a DNS server that worked automatically. Once I got it set up, it worked fine.
on January 16, 2013
I bought this camera because it seemed to have the functionality I needed (remote home monitoring) and was fairly cheap. Setting it up via wire to the router was fairly painless. However, chances are you're not going to run CAT 5 cable from your router to every camera in your home/office so you'll want to set it up on your wireless LAN. Beware, wireless setup was a pain in the rear. I found that it seems to take awhile for it (the camera) to wake up and join the wireless network so be patient and let it sit for awhile. There are also 2 MAC addresses for this camera (which they didn't have documented) so make sure you use the right one if you have MAC filtering turned on for your home network.

Buyers should also beware that this camera does NOT support SSL/HTTPS for logging in remotely!! This means your user name and password are sent across the internet in plain text (unencrypted). Which means anyone can sniff your username and password and log in to your camera. You can find some instructions online to stand up your own Apache Web Server as a reverse proxy, but that was a pain for me. In the end, I ended up installing Surveillance Station on my Synology NAS and downloading DS Cam from Google Play. This allows me to log in to Surveillance Station from my phone via HTTPS while away from home.

As long as you can find a method to log in securely (HTTPS) this camera is awesome!
on August 10, 2012
I will start this review by saying that I have been a software engineer and programmer for over 20 years, so I know my way around a computer and how to configure hardware. The absolute crap Chinese software did not autodetect the camera on my network. Additionally, it did not allow me to connect to the unit or change any configuration manually. I called tech support ... on 3 different times on 3 different days and left a message 4 times after being assured by the operator that I would get a call back.

Finally after the 5th time I refused the call back and got put on support with someone. After trying to determine the problem the engineer determined that my unit was not recognizing DHCP correctly (although all the other networked computers and devices on my network do)so I asked him if we could connect to the device manually using default IP's (this is the normal fail-safe for most items like this camera). Not only did the software not allow this, but the further attempts required me rebooting the entire computer to get the software to prompt me for IP configuration.

This is a camera I can get in China for about $15. This company branded the item and is reselling it. No attention has been made to improve the OS or the Firmware, as the firmware is the exact same as the Chinese brand that I had in Hong Kong. To add insult, the most recent software was "unavailable" to download off their website. You get what you pay for.

UPDATE - I gave this camera a second chance and they have improved their game a little. Still no support and their website is horrific, but the new firmware is not bad. However, these things still like to reset themselves and return back to their "Home" position. YOU MUST get the Blue Iris software for this camera. It is fantastic and can link up with several cameras turning this into a very affordable, security and DVR system.

I will also say that I had focusing issues with only one cam, no matter what it was always soft even when I adjusted the ring. Night vision is not half bad but this is just a standard def video feed.
66 comments|135 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 21, 2014
I purchased direct from FOSCAM.US the FI9826W and FI9806W in May 2014. The 9826 was obviously re-boxed, missing plastic wrap and smelled like it had been “on fire”, burnt microchip smell. The cam preset and other functions did not work.

Calling FOSCAM for support was a nightmare. I tried 8 times, and spent 4 hrs 19 minutes on hold. Then, I never did get the needed assistance. The Foscam phone support tech hardly understood English as if I could understand anything he was saying on that broken voice over IP phone system they use.

After all that, the phone technician finally told me I needed an RMA. But, I must send an email requesting replacement to: replacement@foscam.us. So, I sent them an email a few days ago. THEY HAVE NOT YET REPLIED. Looks like I will need to contact my Credit Card Company to get a refund. HORRIBLE!

PRE-SALE QUESTIONS? GIVE UP! I called to ask if the FI8906W requires a 12v or 5v cable. I was on hold 97 minutes total. I was hung-up on my first call by a phone technician. SECOND CALL: The phone technician was guessing at an answer of 5volts. But, how can that be true when all the other outdoor cams are 12v to power 30-60 LEDs? Foscam support was guessing based on wrongly listed accessories on the 8906 web page. No answer was ever confirmed by Fascom. I got the correct “12 volt” answer from a YouTube video. I needed to be sure before purchasing 3x cables at 14.99 each. Foscam was wrong. HORRIBLE!

AUDIO QUESTION? Do you want to know if the cam audio-in is line level or electorate microphone? GIVE UP, Foscam support can not answer. They will guess and cost you a lot of effort, time and, money.

Who are these people that give this company good review? Could it be Foscam Public Relation posting lies? YES, all the reviews saying great support MUST BE a Foscam Public Relation Company posting propaganda!

I will send my cams back and fight the charges with my credit card. Stick a fork in me, I’m done.
on January 6, 2015
Very useful as a child monitor. Can also be used for DIY home security. Setup should not be attempted by those not comfortable with basic home networking, as it is fairly complicated (e.g. setting up port forwarding on your router). Setting up the alarm function and emailing is also overly complicated. Lowering rating by 1 star simply because the setup is not straight forward. Once setup it is great.
VINE VOICEon June 25, 2013
Rather than some long winded review, how about the pros and cons:

PROS:
Inexpensive
Decent quality picture
Wireless setup for your LAN is a breeze
Well built
Easy to control

CONS:
Remote viewing setup is a chore - read up on port forwarding before you install

If you have a dynamic IP (almost all ISP's assign IP addresses dynamically), you will lose your remote viewing if your ISP resets your IP or you lose you modem like during a power outage. To prevent this, you have to go through a somewhat complicated process of singing up with a (free) DNS service like no-ip.biz. then you have to configure the camera to work with that service. I'm neither and expert nor an idiot and it took me a full day to get everything right.

The IR function is fair at best - you won't get any worthwhile detail in near darkness.

The camera runs all the time but only captures video during an alarm but you need an FTP server to upload the actual video so while you can watch it real time on your portable device you won't be capturing the full video, only snapshots.

The alarm function requires going into the software to deactivate unless you want hundreds of photos being emailed constantly of your dog wandering around the house. There really should be a desktop icon for the alarm function to quickly turn on/off.

Cord on the AC adapter is way too short to mount the camera up high on the wall where it is less noticeable to potential thieves.

Conclusion: It's an excellent deal for <$100 considering not too many years ago a camera of this capability and quality would have cost many multiples of its current price. Just recognize its limitations and you'll be pleased.
on August 28, 2014
Great quality, I love it so far. The biggest downside though is the set up. I am normally pretty good with computers and accessories, but this was so hard to get going. It took forever to set up wifi (had to end up using WPS, which eventually worked) and I was only able to use the audio with the Phone App (which is the easiest way to use the camera) or on Internet Explorer (I tried safari, chrome, and firefox first). Be patient, plan for some difficulties, and then love the device for live streaming.