6,060
4 out of 5 stars

1,834 of 1,935 people found the following review helpful
on March 29, 2012
Color Name: Black
Considering that you are paying less than $100 for a wireless IP Camera that provides PT (no Zoom), infrared night vision, motion detection, and automatic email of alarm photos, there is very little one can criticize about this camera. Yes, it's tricky to set-up if you have never done port-forwarding before and yes, the frame rate and resolution are both a little low, and the audio is crap, but remember that you paid less than $100 for this thing. If you need audio, higher frame rates and better resolution, you should buy a more expensive IP camera.

As far as setup goes, if you understand networking and port-forwarding, these are my recommendations:

1) Do NOT install the software on the CD.
2) Connect the camera by Cat-5 wire to your router.
3) Login to your router (via browser) and find the IP address assigned to your camera.
4) Login to the camera at that IP address (via browser) and IMMEDIATELY turn OFF the DHCP.
5) Give your camera a fixed IP address on your network and fill in the subnet mask with what you normally use.
6) The Gateway and DNS fields should normally be the IP address of your router.
7) Fill in the SSID, encryption type, and share key used by your wireless network.
8) Pick a 4 digit number to use for the HTTP port number. (I have no idea what "Network Lamp" is so I left it checked.)
9) Disconnect the Cat-5 cable and re-boot the camera.
10) Re-login to the camera at the new fixed IP address to verify that everything's working.
11) Login to your router and set a port-forwarding entry to map to the fixed IP address and HTTP port you gave your camera.
12) Use the "What's My IP" site to find your outside IP address.
13) Enter your outside IP address and HTTP port number into a browser and verify that you can get into the camera from outside your house.
14) You're done.

UPDATE #1:
Under the Mail Service Settings there is a checkbox named "Report Internet IP by Mail". If you check this, when you ISP gives you a new external IP address or when the camera reboots because of a power failure, the camera will email you the current external IP address and port! A very nice feature for those of us who prefer not to use DDNS services.

UPDATE #2:
The best app I've found for viewing IP camera feeds on a smartphone or tablet is IP Cam Viewer by Robert Chou.

UPDATE #3:
While I am still pleased with my FosCams, two things have happened recently that make me wonder about the business practices of FosCam. First, out of the blue they have raised the price $10. Second, FosCam.us is given me the run-around about an RMA to return a camera I purchased directly from FosCam. If you do decide to purchase a FosCam camera, buy it through Amazon. Amazon will not give you the run-around over a return. FosCam seems to be money-grubbing and anti-customer.
7575 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
1,869 of 1,989 people found the following review helpful
on July 15, 2013
Color Name: BlackVerified Purchase
Summary: Foscam is manufacturing and selling cameras with a known manufacturing defect. If the camera is pointed at a scene with too much detail (trees, grass, wood grain, window screen, etc) the camera will fail by either freezing, displaying black or rebooting. This defect was introduced as the result of a sensor change in December 2012. It was first reported by users to Foscam in May of 2013. Foscam publicly confirmed this manufacturing defect as the DSP in December 2013 and they also put a repair procedure in place. This procedure involves shipping the newly purchased camera to a distributor in Texas for repair. I've personally sent two cameras in for repair; the first repair took 15 days and required a significant amount of effort to process including a BBB complaint. The second repair took 18 days to turn around and was processed easily. Oddly, the serial number of this second camera changed before/after the repair so they seem to have sent a different camera instead of repairing. Regardless, the camera now works. Other users have reported varying amounts of friction when attempting to process these repairs.

This DSP problem is widespread among Foscam cameras. Many users potentially have cameras with the defect but do not observe the effects because the camera is not pointed at a scene with enough detail to trigger the fault. Other users may observe the defect but incorrectly identify the problem as cabling or other networking gear. At last check, 423 faulty cameras have been reported in the Foscam forums. These forums detail this defect extensively, and also offer a DIY solution for users brave enough to open the camera up and fab a custom USB cable to interface with the DSP. This forum thread can be found by doing a web search for "MJPEG Cameras hanging rebooting based on image data." The defect is reproduced by many users with a variety of Foscam models.

A review has been posted to each of these confirmed models. This includes Foscam models 8904, 8905, 8906, 8910, 8916, and 8919. However, be aware that the defect may exist on additional models as well. Amazon is aware of these details being documented on multiple reviews for different models. Please see the update at the bottom of this review for more information regarding this.

Foscam currently claims that all cameras purchased from specific retailers as of November 2013 have the issue 100% resolved. Unfortunately, the forums show 111 faulty cameras reported from 11/1 through 12/10. To be fair, some users have reported purchasing non-faulty cameras and hopefully this will continue. But other users (as of February 2014) continue to report new cameras from these specific retailers with the defect. Unfortunately, purchasing a Foscam camera continues to be a gamble.

There is a relatively simple way to verify if a specific camera has the DSP bug. The Foscam web GUI has the option to capture a snapshot. Faulty cameras that have the DSP bug are not able to capture a snapshot greater than ~60K. If a camera is able to capture a snapshot above this threshold then it does not have the bug. If the snapshot is smaller than 60K then the current scene does not have enough detail to verify if the bug is present. The camera will need to be pointed at a more complex scene and tested again until a snapshot greater than ~60K is achieved or failure is observed. Faulty cameras that have been repaired by Foscam can also capture above the ~60K threshold.

I do not recommend buying this camera, or any other Foscam MJPEG camera unless you want to gamble with this known and confirmed freezing/black/rebooting problem. Based on the quality of support I recommend staying away from all Foscam cameras in general. They are inexpensive, but your time and sanity are worth a far greater value.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
::::Foscam posted a response to this review. If you are seeking additional information, my comments on the response are below::::

Foscam US, thank you for the response. I have been close to this issue since the defect was first brought to Foscam's attention in May and this is the first public acknowledgement that I am aware of. Previously this had only been acknowledged privately through email/phone. As there are currently 62,997 views on this topic in the Foscam forums and over 400 reported faulty cameras I'm glad that there is now an "official" acknowledgement of this defect.

I do contend with some of the statements you provided as these statements do not match the current experience from actual users.

----------------------------------
Foscam US - "all cameras currently sold by Foscam US through the Foscam US website as well as through Amazon.com direct and the Amazon store "Foscam Digital Technologies LLC" have the issue 100% resolved as of November 2013"
----------------------------------

This is simply not true. Users continue to report faulty cameras from these sources. It is also worth noting that several times over the last 7 months Foscam support told users (privately over email/phone) that the defect has been fixed and newly purchased cameras will function correctly. Regardless of these statements by Foscam, users continue to report defects. Data from 11/01 through 12/10 shows that 111 additional faulty cameras have been reported since November 1. Time may show otherwise, I hope it does, but currently this statement is simply not true.

----------------------------------
Foscam US - "Furthermore, Foscam US (not the manufacturer which is Foscam China) is willing to replace any cameras free of charge (shipping cost covered both ways) which are suffering from this defect"
----------------------------------

This is also simply not true (unless this policy very recently changed). I have 50+ emails back and forth with Foscam support detailing exactly how difficult it is to process the repair. My experience was not unique, as other users have reported similar experiences. Since 8/23 there have been 7 BBB complaints; overall the BBB gives Foscam a D rating. However, if these policies have recently changed then I applaud the decision to reverse Foscam's previous policy. (Amazon Review Update: Credit where credit is due, my second repair was processed smoothly so this process may indeed be getting easier)

Bottom Line:
1) Foscam's response claims that cameras sold from specific retailers have the issue resolved as of November 2013. This is simply not true based on consumer reports.
2) The response also claims that Foscam US will replace faulty cameras free of charge. If that is true, then that is a change in policy and a step in the right direction. However, many users outside of the US are also reporting faulty cameras. Unless the manufacturer (not simply a US distributor) steps up to repair the cameras, then these international users are still without a repair solution for their faulty cameras. Foscam the manufacturer needs to assist users in correcting this defect.

--The referenced data and user experiences above are detailed in the Foscam forums and from the BBB.--

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
:::: Update Regarding Multiple Reviews ::::

On 2/17 a version of this review was pulled-down from the Foscam 8919 listing. I asked Amazon to review the removal. Amazon performed a review (Megan, Kath and Kai specifically) and relisted the review unmodified on 2/20. In an effort to preempt any future problems I have modified some reviews for other affected Foscam models to point to the full details on this review. However, to be clear, Amazon approved the relisting as-is. Thank you to Amazon for taking the time to have humans evaluate this review in the context of my other reviews and to relist. It is always good to see a system/process that works as intended.
7474 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 29, 2012
Color Name: WhiteVerified Purchase
Summary:
This camera, and the company itself, clearly has some shortcomings. However, at this price you'll be content, if not ecstatic. It works well as a security camera and baby monitor. After using it for 1 week I've bought 2 more. Details below.

Research:

After researching Wireless IP cameras for a few hours I concluded that this camera is the best value. I compared it to all other wireless IP cameras including TrendNet TRENDnet TV-IP422WN SecurView Wireless Day/Night Pan/Tilt/Zoom Internet Surveillance Camera Logitech Logitech Alert 750e Outdoor Master Security System with Night Vision Foscam 8918 Foscam FI8918W Wireless/Wired Pan & Tilt IP/Network Camera with 8 Meter Night Vision and 3.6mm Lens (67° Viewing Angle) and the high end ones Panasonic Panasonic BB-HCM531A Outdoor Pan/Tilt PoE Security Network Camera (Silver) and this amazing one from Axis Axis 214 Ptz Network Camera Pan Tilt Zoom Day/night 2 Way Audio. Not to mention this camera is light years ahead of a TrendNet camera I bought a few years ago for the same price (Newer Model) TRENDnet ProView Wireless Internet Surveillance Camera TV-IP501W (White).

Setup: I couldn't find the software available for download on Foscam's website so I actually had to use the CD (People still use CD's?). Once I installed the software, I hard wired the camera to my router Linksys E2500 Advanced Simultaneous Dual-Band Wireless-N Router, opened up the software, read the manual, typed in the default use id and password, read the manual again, played with all the setting and then set it up to connect wirelessly. Then I closed the software, unplugged the camera from the router, unplugged the power to the camera, plugged the power back in, opened the software back up and everything worked fine.

Pros:
The rotation works great. If you set the speed to 0 it moves fast.
At far distances, the lens itself is decent enough to get more than just general idea of what is going on. At close distances it's sufficient.
Works great with the iPad.
According to my Kill A WATT P3 International P4400 Kill A Watt Electricity Usage Monitor it only uses 3 watts.

Camera Cons:
Either the quality control is off or something got mixed up because I ordered this camera in white and it came with a nice multifunctional mounting bracket. However, I ordered the silver/black version of this camera and it came with 2 antennas, but no mounting bracket. I contacted Foscam about this. They apologized, didn't question me, and sent me a mounting bracket for free.
The body of the camera fees a bit cheap, which maybe it is. For example, the top half of the camera does not fit snugly into the base. However, I have not had any problems rotating it.
The edge of the picture has a slight bow to it.
The resolution is not HD. You couldn't make out a license plate from more than 20 feet away if that.
While transferring a large file wirelessly from one laptop to another using my E2500 router, the camera would pan erratically. As soon as the file transfer stopped the camera worked fine.
I couldn't get the speakers to work even with a microphone NADY SP-4C Dynamic Microphone plugged directly into the unit or into my computer. (Not sure what to do here.)
I couldn't get it to play/record any sound either. To improvise I bought a baby monitor NTM-910YLW - Sony Baby Call Nursery Monitor.
Runs hot, but it hasn't affected its performance and again it's only using 3 watts.
Supposedly you can't use this outside. I may test that theory. If I do I'll let you know.

Software Cons:
You can't change the size of the camera view.
You can't digitally zoom in on one spot.
If the alarm triggers it records for 1 minute. The only thing you can adjust is the sensitivity.
You can't adjust screen size, which is really annoying when you use the multiple camera view because the screen size of each camera is tiny.

Tips:
If you have multiple monitors, double click on the picture and it will open up a full screen view on one of your other monitors. This is especially helpful if you're using the multiple camera view because the picture is small.

Camera Suggestions:
The company details the limitations of the camera, but you don't realize how nice it would be to have some features until you use it.
This camera should be able to turn 360 degrees instead of just 270. It's quite annoying to not be able to see behind the camera.

Software Suggestions:
The alarm settings need to be much more adjustable.
The screen size needs to be adjustable.
You need to be able to click on an area of the screen and zoom in.

Anyone else have a sneaky suspicion that someone in (guess where?) is looking at what I'm looking at? Maybe that's why they're so cheap?

If you figured out how to get the sound working or have a solution to any of the other problems leave me a comment!

UPDATE 1:

I was able to get the sound and microphone working. I had to add the camera's IP address to my trusted sites. The manufacturers website has a forum with answers to questions like this.

UPDATE 2:

I have 4 cameras total. 2 black, 1 white and 1 silver. The silver model appears to have some problems. I have a tripod that will easily screw into all but the silver one. Also, after about a month of use the IR filter will not turn off on the silver one so the green grass looks like a purplish gray. I've just started the RMA process and will try to update.

UPDATE 3:

After a phone call to tech support, an email to the sales department, and about 3 weeks of time I have a new camera in black. They didn't have a silver one and I don't wonder why.
3939 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 22, 2012
Color Name: WhiteVerified Purchase
This camera really is very good value for money. We received it as a gift from our baby registry to use as a baby monitor for our first child.

I'm a software engineer by trade so I had very little trouble setting up the camera and configuring it for use. However, I could see it being confusing for people with less of a technical/networking background.

PROS
- The web interface lets you control all the features very simply. There are loads of features on the camera - more than we needed for our simple baby monitoring scenario
- The camera works great on several WiFi versions; I've used 802.11g and 802.11n with it. Note that the camera doesn't work on the 5Ghz 802.11n band, although to put that in perspective, neither does the newest iPhone 4S so this isn't that big of a deal
- The infra-red night vision is really very good. Crystal clear video, with picture quality as good as you get from the camera when the room is fully-lit
- Very good range of motion - nearly 360º in all directions. The camera has 8 preset locations so you can save and load your favorite positions (i.e. crib, doorway, main part of room, etc.) without having to navigate the camera to these positions by hand every time
- Decent apps to control the camera from Apple devices like the iPhone and iPad. I downloaded "Baby Monitor for IP Camera" which was free if you don't need the audio support (this can be added as an in-app purchase). Can't speak to Android support since I don't have an Android device
- Able to downscale the resolution to 320x240 which still gives you a very usable picture. This is handy when I'm viewing the camera over 3G or LTE on my iPhone/iPad when away from home, and don't want to burn up all the usage on my limited data plan
- Foscam has published well-attended forums on their US web site, with an enthusiastic user community, many of whom are technical enough to provide good suggestions to problems. The staff hasn't been quite as responsive as the user community, but the purpose of a forum is to let the user community support itself to an extent so this isn't such a big deal
- There is a very simple web-based API for the camera so you can write your own utilities, or even just hit certain URLs and pull data about the camera. Great for technical folks who want to get under the hood

CONS
- At least on the white model (I haven't tried the black one yet) there is an internal network activity light mounted on the circuit board of the camera, and it's visible through the camera case. Since the case is white plastic, it acts as a diffuser. When idling, the light flashes several times a minute and is not that noticeable, but when monitoring video it flashes every time a request comes into the camera to update the image, which is several times a second. My wife and I are concerned that this might cause our little one to be distracted in the dark and interfere with him sleeping. There is an option in the web console to disable the external network monitor light, but this setting has no effect on the internal light I'm describing (nor does it turn off the external red network light, although this is easily solved with a small piece of electrical tape). I have uploaded a product image to show you what the internal network activity looks like in a dark room. It's not quite as bright as my picture makes it look, but it's definitely noticeable.
- Some of the default settings for the camera are a bit dumb. For example, initially I couldn't get any of my preset camera positions to save or load. Searching on the forums, it turns out the preset save/load feature is disabled by default. Enabling it is as simple as clicking a check box in the web console and saving, but surely the default should be for this feature to be active?
- Security on the camera is pretty much non-existent. Passwords for the administrative web-based console are sent "in the clear" (i.e. unencrypted) and there is no HTTPS capability on the device to secure the console. This is more than understandable considering the low cost of the device, but it means that if you use the camera over the Internet to monitor your baby/house/whatever when away from home, anybody could sniff your password and gain access to your webcam. For me, this was not a problem since I have the technical chops to set up SSH tunneling and/or VPN to secure interactions with the console made over the public Internet, but for non-technical users this could be a bit more challenging. Also, if you are only using the camera at home over WiFi and have basic WiFi security enabled on your internal home network, the lack of HTTPS support is a non-issue - this is only really a problem for people using the camera over their cell phone, from a WiFi hotspot in a coffee shop, etc.
- I haven't fully diagnosed this next issue yet, but the camera is interfering with the motion sensor on our 10-year-old Brinks home security system. Our nursery is a bedroom on the second floor of our house, while the motion sensor is mounted to the ceiling in the living room directly below the nursery. The morning after I set up the web cam, our security system started indicating trouble with the motion sensor. The sensor still works, although not very well, and the security system starts beeping every morning at 7:15 AM complaining about the issue when the web cam is on (which is really annoying). When I turned off the web cam, the problem went away instantly. There are a few possible issues. The first is that the IR sensor on the camera is interfering with the motion sensor, since the way I had the camera positioned it was pointing right at the spot on the floor above the motion sensor in the living room below. However, this seems unlikely since I don't believe IR light would go through the floor. The second possible issue is that the camera is a wireless networking device on the 2.4Ghz spectrum, which is close to the microwave spectrum, and some motion sensors are microwave-based. If this is the issue then I don't have a resolution on the camera since it doesn't support the 5Ghz 802.11n band. It's possible that I can get a different kind of motion sensor from Broadview (who bought Brinks) but that is likely to incur additional expense.

Overall I think this is a really fantastic little camera, and it's pretty much perfect for our needs as a video baby monitor. If the black model solves the flashing internal network light issue and I can get it playing nicely with our home security system, I'll be a very happy camper.

UPDATE: I switched my WiFi network to 802.11n on the 2.4Ghz spectrum and it seems to have fixed the issue with our security system's motion sensor. Still working on fixing the internal flashing light issue.

UPDATE 2: I ordered a replacement black model, and it does not have the translucency/flashing internal light issue that the white model has. The black model is coated with a rubberized material that gives it a nicer overall finish in my opinion. Based on this, I recommend the black model over the white one.
review image
2121 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 15, 2012
Color Name: WhiteVerified Purchase
The Foscam F18910W camera is operating quite well. I have 3 F18918W cameras and have been pleased with their operation and function as well. They are very stable cameras - images always available whenever I link to them- and easy to set up.

For setup, I have found it easier to just plug them in using the Ethernet connection, and then log into my router and find their IP address, and set them up from there. The only thing you have to remember during setup is that the new camera's port may be set the same as an existing camera. In this case either shut down any existing cameras, or use the FosCam install software and let it find the new camera and port number.

I have the FosCams mounted in our business for security and their range of motion and quality of images- including infrared- has been invaluable. Also the sound quality is good from the camera. Talking through the cameras to someone is weak, but there. I am replacing older D-Link DCS-900 cameras which are fixed position only provide picture- no sound or two-way communication capabilities.

One feature that would be good in my case would be the ability to zoom in on an object. Zoom is not a function of any of the FosCam models I now have.

I monitor the cameras from my IPad, my Droid 2 and 3 phones using an excellent app - IP Cam Viewer from Robert Chou. I also use IE and Chrome browsers.

You do have to use port forwarding on your router so you can find the cameras via your business/home location's IP address. If you don't have a static IP address, you can use dyndns.org to track your dynamic IP address.
3131 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 2, 2012
Color Name: BlackVerified Purchase
I live in Baltimore where crime has been a major problem. After being broken in twice, I decided to purchase this relatively inexpensive security camera to monitor my home while I was on a trip. At first, I was worried about the wireless setup, since I do not have any experience in setting up server or network. However, the setup turned out to be surprisingly easy, well, at least within my home network. However, just like a lot of the reviewers, I got stuck on the remote access setup. After a lot of trouble shooting, I realized that it is because I didn't setup the port forward correctly. In my house, I have a Linksys wireless router connected to a wireless cable modem, which was provided by my internet service provider. I placed these two routers in separate rooms, so that I can have strong signals everywhere in my house. The problem is that I used the Linksys router to configure port forwarding, instead of my primary wireless cable modem, so that every time I try to access my IP camera (which is essentially a server) using my DYNDNS address, I was being routed to the wrong location. To solve this problem, I reboot the camera by having it connected to the wireless cable modem, and use the wireless cable modem to setup the port forwarding. Problem solved!! I also heard about you can turn your wireless cable modem on "bridge mode", which is essentially degrade your wireless cable modem to just a modem without the wireless function, and then set up the port forwarding on your wireless router (e.g. Linksys). Either way would work! The port forward is really not that hard to set up, and the little booklet that comes with the camera did a decent job on illustrating each step. Once I realized where I did wrong, it took me only 10 minutes to complete the remote access setup. To test whether you have the camera correctly setup, simply turn off the wireless function on your 3G or 4G device (e.g. iphone, ipad, ...) and use the cellular data to connect to the camera by entering your dyndns address in a web browser. If you can see the live stream video, then you are all set.

Here are some random notes:

1. AwkwardHamster on YouTube did a nice step-by-step illustration on foscam setup for both within and outside of home network.

2. If you are an iPad user, there are some great foscam apps for download. If you simply use a web browser, you won't be able to use the joystick function to point the camera to a specific location.

3. some old wireless cable modems (e.g. Zhone, model: 6218-I2-200 0CL) do not have port forward function, in this case, you need to call your Internet service provider and request a replacement (should be free of charge, only shipping cost).

4. Some wireless cable modem refer to the port forwarding function as "virtual server", you should be able to find it under NAT or Gaming.

5. Some reviews complaint that the DYNDNS Host service is not free of charge, which is not true. You need to sign up for their 14-day free trial, and give them your credit card number. After you setup the hostname, just cancel the subscription within the trial period, and you still get to keep one hostname free of charge. Your hostname should connect to the external IP address of your home network, which is the IP you found using the whatismyip webside (do not use any proxy).

6. Don't forget to change the default username ("admin") and password (no password), otherwise, anybody who knows your dyndns address can access to your camera.

__________________________________________________________________
A summary of step-by-step remote access setup using dynamic IP:

1. Get an account on DYNDNS site and get a free hostname (yes, you need to sign up for the trial and give them your credit card, but you can cancel the subscription within the trial period and still get to keep one hostname). Your service type should be "host with IP address". DynDNS site will automatically detect your external IP. If not, just go to whatismyip site and get your external ip address from them.

2. Log in to your router: in most cases, type 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 (if you have more than two wireless routers, use the one from your internet service provider). You can find the default username and password from the router manual or you can google it on the internet. The default is often either "admin" or "user" for both username and password.

3. Log in to your camera. You can do this by using the IP camera tool in the CD or type in the IP that your router assign to your camera in a web browser. It usually begins with 192.168.1.X

3. On the menu, go to "Device Management", then "Basic Network Setting". Make sure you have the "Obtain IP from DHCP server" and "Network Lamp" checked. As for the port, I just use the default "80", but I heard some routers save that port for other stuff, so you might want to change it to 8080 or other numbers. The port number you set up here will determine the specific port that your camera will use and you will need that information when you set up port forwarding.

4. On the camera menu, go to DDNS service settings, fill out your DYNDNS account information and your hostname, then "submit", and wait for the 30s reboot patiently. Go to your camera menu again, and "Device Status", if it shows "DynDns Succeed", then you are good to continue. Note that it might take some time (5 minutes) for your DynDns account to take effect.

5. Go to your wireless router menu again (192.168.1.1), then go to port forwarding (or virtual server). Both the external and internal ports should match to the port number you set up in the previous step (e.g. 80). For the protocol, choose "both" if you are given an option between TCP or UDP. If not, just choose TCP.

6. To test out the remote access, you must use a computer outside of your home network or use your 3G/4G device with cellular data (remember to shut off the wireless!!) or use your computer with a proxy to mask your external router IP. Open up a web browser and key in your DYNDNS address followed by a colon [ : ] and your port number (e.g. 80).

7. If you are within the home network, you must use the camera IP and correct port (e.g. 192.168.1.4:80) to access your camera.

Hope this helps!!
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 18, 2012
Color Name: BlackVerified Purchase
WORKS GREAT! but took awhile to setup the wireless feature on a Mac using Airport. I had to search for directions on the Web. Expect to study up before installing, the directions it comes with are not clear. The wireless feature has to do with finding the cameras IP, your router IP and port forwarding for use on the internet. Once that's figured out the iphone apps are easy to connect to the cameras. Put time aside to get it setup and don't expect it to be easy, especially if it's your first one, only because you have to read and set it up by trial and error until it works. Finding the cameras ip was the hardest to figure out on a Mac. The software uses your browser to make settings within the camera. The camera holds the software not your computer. There are lots of instructions on the web for when you get stuck. Once I figured everything out it works really well. I am techie and it still took me awhile to set up everything. We are going to get an outdoor one too. If you're use to figuring out computers then you will get all working okay but if computers are not your thing then you will need help from your techie teenager are someone that works with computers all the time.

MAC USERS TAKE NOTE: The IP finder software on the Foscam CD that comes with the camera does not work on MAC OSX 10.6.8 even though it says it does work. You have to download and use the free program called IPScanner to find the cameras IP. Also When you plug the camera into your Airport Extreme for the first setup, don't forget to restart your computer AND restart Airport Extreme so your computer will see the cameras IP. It took me a while to figure that out.... that was the reason why the camera's IP wasn't showing up in IPScanner software. Hope this helps someone because if I had known to restart Airport Extreme and my computer together, it would of saved me a ton of time and my hair would still be attached to my head! GEE WHIZ! I couldn't get past step 1 because of such a silly thing to RESTART both, after that everything went well. Non of the instructions anywhere on the internet say to restart after plugging in the camera. MAC users are used to plug and play so it threw me for a silly loop.
on September 28, 2012
Color Name: WhiteVerified Purchase
I'm an expecting new dad shopping around for a video monitor. My sister recommended the Motorola MBP36 that she's been using. This and the the Summer Infant Infant model seem to be the mostly highly regarded. But I really liked the idea of being able to view from anywhere, on iPhones, iPads and Android. (I currently have an iPad and a Samsung Galaxy Note). I had found the Samsung SmartCam Baby Monitor at Target. So I thought I'd give it a try before spending the big bucks for those with dedicated monitors. I was disappointed in it's performance and features so it was returned after just a few days.

Speaking to a couple of friends, I was warned against units with dedicated displays. The displays often degrade over time because of the lower quality TFT LCD screens.

So I did a bit more research and tried something not even advertised as a "Baby Monitor". The Foscam FI8910W. It a IP Camera with excellent features and performance. Once I tried this, it was day and night. The setup is more geeky. To view the feed from the internet, you'll have to know how to setup your router for port mapping and have either a static IP or Dynamic DNS. But for a person like me who deals with this stuff all the time, it was quite simple, no trial and error. Either you know how to do it or you don't. You're streaming directly from the Camera so there's no delay and the video quality, although not HD (there's also an HD version the FI9820W but never tried this), is fantastic! The night time performance is awesome. It supports Pan and Tilt, but not Zoom (some software will allow digital zoom, but this is pretty useless). On my iPad it looks amazing, way better than even the Motorola unit. Same on my Galaxy Note and any of my computers. The video doesn't degrade when you're connected from outside you home network. The two-way audio, although not fantastic is more than acceptable. It's bigger unit, but it doesn't take up much more room than the Samsung, which is flat. The biggest plus, it's less than $90 on Amazon. So while I wait for my wife to pop, I'm using the camera to monitor my Dog while I'm at work. I've even been able to get his attention when he's up to no-good while I'm at the office.

Pros
-Great Video quality and frame-rate
-Fantastic PanTilt performance
-Fantastic Night performance, LEDs come on automatically as needed.
-Audio performance is more than adequate.
-Built-In Streaming server that you can setup with various Viewer Apps on difference platforms (PC, MAC, IOS and Android)
-LAN and Wifi Connection

Cons
-Internet viewing setup can be a bit much for those not familiar with port mapping, static external IP or DDNS. It might also be a bit challenging for some to locate the initial IP address, although there's a small application avaiable on the CD to discover it. You should assign a fixed IP for the Camera on your router to avoid having to do this again.
-Doesn't have Optical Zoom (not a huge Con since the video quality is sharp enough for decent detail)

(Part of this review was from my review of the Samsung SmartCam baby monitor)
on October 8, 2013
Color Name: WhiteVerified Purchase
We are loving this camera, which we got to replace our baby monitor that broke. It was pretty easy to set up, although I did call customer service to ask a couple of questions. They connected into my computer, and what I did NOT like is that when they were done, they pulled up a browser window, went to Amazon.com, pulled up my order, and asked me to write a review with his name in it, if I was happy with his service. I think his name was Henry foster? I was not happy with that, I felt it very intruding and forceful. While he was logged in helping me, he went so fast and did not explain what he was doing at all. How am I supposed to understand what he did?

Back to the camera, it works great so far. There is a lag in the audio which is a little annoying. I'm using the camera on wireless so I tried moving it to our wired Ethernet connection and there was no improvement, in fact the video got a lag that wasn't there before. So we're back on wireless. The picture is great, much better than our baby monitor was, and there are a lot of apps to choose from for both android and iOS to view and control the camera.

One other annoying thing - the time and date stamp on the log files is way off, despite me having the correct date and time in the settings. This makes it hard to audit, which I like to check on to make sure it is not getting hacked or anything.

All in all, I definitely recommend this camera, it's the best we've used for a baby monitor. Even with those minor annoyances. Just follow the instructions in the manual for setting it up, don't bother calling customer support, they don't provide any additional details (which is what I called for ), and are much too quick and forceful. The manual gives you everything you need.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 21, 2013
Color Name: BlackVerified Purchase
I hope I can be of help to others who are undecided on their purchase.

I am 54 and I'm not an IT, I am a civil engineer, and before ordering the camera I read everything I could find on the internet and youtube.
I have an old router D Link DI 624, with 9 dbi antenna to further strengthen the signal.
Bought a Foscam FI8910W, used, on Amazon Warehousedeals, as always excellent service and a guarantee A, the camera arrived before the expected time, and extremely well protected. I recommend it.
The experience of connecting the camera was not traumatic, just followed the steps in the manual.
In about 15 minutes I had the camera running both my intranet, such as the internet and wireless throughout.
The camera is very stable when it detects movement or sound is detected when the house alarm is triggered, proceeds to send the photos attached in the email.
The image quality is not the best in the world, but for the price is quite acceptable.
It is very important to test the camera location provisionally, as this greatly influences the quality of the image, at different times of day and night, and you also have to take into account the bulbs that may be in the viewing angle of the camera, and everything I read, only in a post referred to this. Once we are satisfied with the results, we can proceed to fix it.
For mobile phone, mine is a Samsung, I recommend IP Cam Viewer application is excellent.
Now I'm trying other recording software, such as the Blue Iris, and Vitamin D, then tell you that I prefer.
review image review image review image

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations