5.0 out of 5 stars Easy Ultra Baby Monitor
I dont know why there are so many negative reviews on these cameras on Amazon. I know that the company selling these is spamming the reviews but, as you can see, my purchase is verified.

Published on July 25, 2012 by Bill

3.0 out of 5 stars Five-Star Product, One-Star Support
Published on April 29, 2012 by Roger V

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy Ultra Baby Monitor, July 25, 2012
This review is from: Foscam FI8910W Wireless/Wired Pan & Tilt IP/Network Camera with IR-Cut Filter for True Color Images - 8 Meter Night Vision and 3.6mm Lens (67° Viewing Angle) 2-Pack - Black (Electronics)

I had used a Summer Infant Baby Touch Digital Color Video Monitor for quite some time and went through 3 cameras and two handsets. I finally gave up and bought these two cameras. If you are using these as baby monitors I would suggest the black version as the white ones have an LED inside of them that lights up pretty bright and can be seen through the white plastic. Here is how I set them up:

First I plugged them into power and an ethernet port on my router.

Then I logged into my router and saw what IP address they were assigned.

I then typed the IP address into firefox (or pale moon for 64bit).

I logged into the camer using admin and no password (on firefox and chrome you must use second login button).

I then went straight to the devide settings and wireless.

I checked wireless check box and clicked scan.

I chose my network out of box and typed in my password.

I clicked submit and when the camera started to reboot and the network lights came on I unplugged the network cable.

I then logged back into the router (actually I still had the page up) and got the new wireless IP address.

I logged back into camera and changed password and port to 8090 (8091 on second camera).

Repeated all steps for second camera.

Setup tinyCam Monitor PRO on my 10 inch android tablet and added camera info for both cameras.

All of this took maybe 20 minutes including putting cameras in my childrens rooms.

Overall theses cameras have superb pictures compared to any other baby monitor I have seen. For $189 total, including tinycam pro, I have the sweetest baby monitor setup. If oyu follow the setup instructions I gave here you should be able to get this up and running no problem. Also, buy these from either foscam on amazon or from observeye. If oyu buy them elsewhere you will not get the two year warranty.

UPDATE: 11/5/2012
These cameras still work perfect. They restart every once in a while but always return the position that I set as home. I now use tinyCam PRO on both of our cellphones and on the tablet. Definitely worth the purchase.

UPDATE: 12/21/2012

The world did not end today!!! Also the cameras are still going strong. They restart a lot less now for some reason. There have not been any changes to our network but tinyCam Monitor PRO has been updated a few times through the Play Store.

UPDATE 02/14/2013

I had to buy a new wireless router for our house because the old one died. I think that the camera restarting issue was caused by slow network speed on my old router becuase they have not restarted in the last week that I have had the new router. I added entries for the wireless cameras into the new router to assign static ip addresses to them and I used port forwarding to forward port 8090 to the one camera and 8091 to the other camera. I used a DynDns account to keep a hostname associated to my dynamic ip and can now access the cameras from anywhere using the hostname and port number. The router I got was a WNDR3400 V2, I highly recommend this router as it is fast!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bang for the bucks, April 4, 2012
Received the cameras 2 days after order was placed. I followed the instructions on Foscam website and had all installations completed within 1. Both viewing it on my home network and over the internet.

Videos are clear! Controlling the camera remotely is awesome and works flawlessly so far. The ability to hear sound and also send audio is terrific. I bought it to use my baby monitor and it seems to be excellent. Of cause it is less than 24 hours that I have had them but I don't see it going bad. I am still playing with the motion detector because I set the sensitivity at 10, and it captured so many videos. I will play with that later.

If anything goes wrong, I will make an update to the review. I plan to get 2 more, but for outdoors.

5.0 out of 5 stars Foscam FI8910W two-pack, April 20, 2012
I placed my order on Saturday and it was on my doorstep Monday afternoon. It took me about 2 hours to figure out the installation. I'm not a computer expert. But I can read instructions. Have your router user manual handy and refer to Foscam.us website for additional setup instructions. It's all there. You just need to poke around for the answers.

If you're planning on mounting the camera on a ceiling or high up on a wall...keep in mind the camera requires power...therefore you'll need a wall outlet near your mounting point. The camera does not run on batteries.

I also downloaded the $4.99 Foscam Pro Surveillance app for my iPhone...great app!! Takes about 2 minutes to set it up.

All in all, I'm very pleased with my purchase and would certainly recommend it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Five-Star Product, One-Star Support, April 29, 2012
The Foscam F18910W is an very good IP camera at a good price. Once setup and functioning, it is easy to operate and very effectively allows me to monitor my home while traveling. However, unless you're knowledgeable about IP's, how to establish a website, proxies, etc. you will need to allow a substantial amount of time to educate yourself or find a friend with the necessary understanding and get them to help you set it up. There was effectively no technical support available to me from Foscam despite my various efforts. First thing you're told in a recorded message when you call them is that if you purchased the camera from Amazon or another retailer rather than directly from them, they will not help you unless you pay them and let them remotely control your computer. They did indicate that you could email a specific question to them for assistance, and I did try that but never heard back from them. Then after trying to follow the somewhat incomplete instructions that came with the camera, I decided I would pay their fee, but was never able to reach a human in order to do that. Ultimately, I got help from a friend's son who does this sort of work for a living and who guided me through the rest of the setup process.

3.0 out of 5 stars Wish I knew...., May 20, 2012
I normally don't write reviews since most of the time the information has already been covered by others. This time it is different. I gave the system a 3 star rating. The cameras themselves, based on price and performance actually earned 5 stars. The accompanying Foscam software earned 1 star (since 0 stars is not an option) so 3 stars is what I awarded. The Foscam software is garbage. Save yourself a lot of time and effort and use it to initially get the cameras working on your LAN and then forget about it. Purchase Blue Iris and use it. It is awesome, easy to use, intuitive and reliable. It is everything the Foscam software is not.
Foscam's Tech. Support is slow and their forums are full of issues, some quite old for the computer age, which are still causing user problems. I did get a response after a couple of days. All they did was ask for a screen shot of my issue with getting the email to work. I configured it exactly the way it was shown in the online guide. I even got an account at the same service as they supposedly use. It didn't work! It appears that the examples on their website are untested. It never did work but with Blue Iris, I got email working in less than 2 minutes after wasting a good part of a day with the Foscam software.
There were a lot of errors when try to configure things using Internet Explorer that were remedied by using Firefox. They admit right up front that Internet Explorer is the only browser that will support multiple cameras. I think it is the only one they could configure. Firefox and Google Chrome should be able to do it, too. By the way their multiple cameras set up didn't work for me either. On the camera remote login they don't even know how to sense what browser you are using. It has two login buttons, one for IE and one for the others. That is absurd. It is obvious that their software is not ready for prime time. In summary good cams, bad software, get good software and things will work fine. At least they did for me.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful customer service, April 16, 2013
Item arrived, appeared to be as described. Repeated efforts at making wireless connection were unsuccessful. This after spending time reviewing documentation in box, as well as at Foscam's website, including YouTube tutorials. Calls to company for technical support were so bad as to be laughable.

Two (yes, not one, two) representatives (neither of whom spoke passable English) hung up on me once I made clear I was having a problem establishing a wireless connection in a Mac environment. I placed a third call, asking immediately (wait for it - after the 15 minute wait for someone to come on the line) to speak with a supervisor. I was again placed on hold, and then informed the supervisor had "other" things to do and would not have time to speak with me.

I asked for an RMA, noting that if customer service supervisors did not find me, a customer, a priority, then I had no further need of them. I was then told that although the company uses Amazon as their seller, the company had no real relationship with Amazon and hence could not help me with an RMA. So I will asking Amazon for an RMA and simply avoid this company henceforth.

A further note: my efforts at effecting a wireless installation on a Mac revealed a multitude of complaints and vast confusion among fellow purchasers/ users as to how to achieve this. Caveat emptor.

1.0 out of 5 stars PLEASE READ BEFORE BUYING!!!!!, September 3, 2013
Chad P. (Portland, OR) - See all my reviews
I wish to start by saying that I am not here to bash Foscam, as I think it could be the technology itself that is so frustrating with these cameras. Here is my story: I read a lot of great reviews regarding these cameras which is why I chose Foscam. I also chose Foscam because they were supposed to be compatible with Mac. A few reviews stated that they were challenging to set up. I have a degree in Automation technology, and I am quite proficient with computers, so I was not overly concerned about that. They arrived quickly. I was quite impressed with the construction, finish, and design. They seemed to be well built. I took out the disc and the manual. I always read and follow the instructions. I inserted the CD, and the manual stated to download the camera IP folder. This first step did not work. Also, it was a zip file for the mac, but a standard file for the PC. (Not so fair for mac users). I do not have zip software on my mac because I do not normally deal with large files. Anyway, I bought the zip software for $29.00. I found out later that there was a free trial, but it was too late. I already purchased the regular version of it. Anyway, I did not think that this was a big deal if I could get the cameras to work. So, I tried to open the file again, and it did not work. I emailed the zip file company, and they stated that they were having difficulty with certain files opening. Nice. I called Foscam and they suggested downloading the file directly from their website. This worked. OK. Finally, I got step one over with. I think I should mention here that when you call Foscam, they always want to access your computer remotely. OK, this sounds like a REALLY BAD IDEA. Okay, I then plugged the camera into my router and proceeded to try to understand all of the steps. I finally got it to work while plugged in. After quite a bit of time, I got it to work wirelessly in the house. I thought I was going to be home free. I could not get the audio to work, but everything else seemed to be working fine. Well, The next step is to be able to view the camera from a remote location by typing in a web address. This involved too many steps to go into here. It is like a crazy puzzle that you just cannot solve. I tried to use the website that they suggested in order to obtain an address. The port forwarding is a nightmare. I followed the manual, the videos, etc. and I could never get them to work. I thought that perhaps my cable company was blocking ports. I called them, and they were not blocking the ports that I was trying to use. I cannot stress how much time all of this took. I want to say that I was using all of my spare time for about a week to try and get these things to work. I do NOT like to give up, but this time I did. I thought about a certain movie, a rap song, an open field, and a baseball bat (if you know what I mean). But then I calmed down, and gently placed them neatly into their little boxes and sent them back to Amazon. I REALLY wanted these to work!! I do not think that these are for the average consumer. I believe the community college could teach an entire class on this subject. I realized later that most of the positive reviews I read were from people who did not view the cameras remotely. Many of them just wanted to see their kids in the next room. Also, the only audio that I found to work was an app on my ipod touch. That actually worked well. Foscam emailed me and told me that the audio is not compatible with a mac. They stated that you have to use other software for it. I tried, and could not get it to work on my mac book pro.

This camera would be fine for those who A) Have unlimited patience. B) Only want to use them within the household, and not view them remotely. C) Have excellent skills in advanced routing, surveillance cameras, web hosting, etc.

Again, I am not here to bash. I am just being honest. I have never been so frustrated with a piece of equipment in my whole life. I think perhaps this is a technology that is not quite perfected yet. I hope that they will do so in the future so I can try again. Good luck!

1.0 out of 5 stars 5 FPS over wired connection - Tech support did not help, August 26, 2012
I ordered a two pack and each camera performed horribly. Over wireless I got less than 1 FPS. Over wired I got about 5. I contacted tech support and all they did was refer me to FAQs about wireless performance. No help or explanation as to why they only get 5 FPS over a fast wired connection. I returned the cameras.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Camera - Economical Price, May 30, 2012
I bought two of these cameras and have set one up on my home network. The other camera is going to another location, which I have not set up yet.

My first impressions of the quality and features were very good. Build quality is nice, however not what I would call heavy duty. For a HOME or Office environment, I think they will work just fine. IMHO it won't hold up in an industrial environment well. I'm a certified Network Engineer, so getting this up and running was pretty easy and working it into my home wired and wireless network/router was painless. But, if you don't have a lot of experience or have a LOT of patience, you might not find this easy. If the terms PORT FORWARDING, DHCP or Static IP make your palms sweaty, you might find an experienced friend to help. The supplied 10 page manual, one for Windows and one for MAC, are not translated very well, and you will need to interpret the meaning carefully. After reading the manual, I still had questions and called their TECH SUPPORT, which 'sounded' like it was forwarded to China (over SKYPE). The connection was not good, and the technician was not fully fluent in English. However, I did get my question answered and I moved ahead with my install. I was up and running in about 10 minutes.

Side note: I did NOT want to use the CAMERA TOOL SW they supplied, I wanted the challenge of setting it up on my own. If you have some experience, let me save you a few head scratches: The FI8910W does NOT have a Static IP address. You can't just set one. It pulls an IP from the ROUTER. You can find the IP address by looking in your router MAC table and matching the WIRED MAC address with your router IP assignment. Then just plug in that IP of the camera into ur browser and continue the setup (USER/PASSWORD/Resolution etc). Really Simple. BTW, Wireless setup was just as easy, just SCAN find ur SSID, provide ur wireless password and pull the LAN cable (it won't support both). Again, look in the router MAC assignments, and find the WIRELESS MAC address and use your browser to log into the camera. One piece of advice: If your router allows you to SAVE the IP address locked to the MAC address, I suggest you do that immediately after finding the IP. This way if you unplug or turn off the camera it will search for a NEW IP address and you might be chasing the camera IP in your router again. (I saw a lot of Forum comments about this and I could see where this would be frustrating).

The Pan and Tilt has one medium speed, but there is a Auto PAN that will continuously PAN the camera if desired. All P&T functions are accessible from the main screen. I was able to control the camera with my iPhone, and the FI8910W was smart enough to lower the screen RES to match the iPhone (vs the higher 640/480 for a desktop). Picture quality is very good, but there is a LOT of barrel distortion from the very wide angle lens they use. It does give you a huge horizontal view, which is what you want in a security camera. I have not tested the IR night vision or the Snap Shot or notification feature yet. I'll amend this review once I get that working. I intend to add this camera to my 3 other security cameras in a MAC application by Security Spy (MAC ONLY). I use iCamViewer which to my surprise supported the Foscam camera perfectly.

4 Stars is still a very good rating, but I dropped 1-star for lack of a good manual and confusing warranty/tech support.

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME CAMERAS!!!, July 23, 2012
I'm extremely impressed with the quality of these cameras not to mention the interface. Takes a bit to set them up, which includes IP addresses, some port forwarding in your router depending on how strict your firewall is, and other basic settings. Once you're past all that, you'll keep opening your browser or mobile app just to see how awesome and easy it is. Personally I use one as a baby monitor for our baby boy and the other as a video monitor for my electronics room.

What I love about the Foscam F18910W:

- two way audio
- crisp video quality
- ability to turn the camera in almost all directions using a "joystick" on the browser and mobile app
- very good range
- infrared is very clear and very little noise compared to other IP cameras

Note: If you buy these and plan to use them with an iPad or iPhone, I highly recommend purchasing the Foscam Pro app. It costs $5.99 but is worth every single penny. Very user friendly, supports up to 16 of these cameras. I've purchased others and the one that I believe is the best is Foscam Pro. It'll work with other brands as well as per my tests.