4.0 out of 5 stars Great Camera, But Pricy
Customer Video Review     Length:: 4:47 Mins
The 1.3 MP sensor and 3x optical zoom are welcomed additions. I have the video stream set to 960P instead of 720P. I just love this viewing angle.

Published 11 months ago by Awkward Hamster

The manufacturer commented on the review below
3.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Picture Quality, No MacOS Support
The picture quality of this cam is a huge step forward from the 640x480 IP cams I've been using. Great color, great sharpness. The software has also been improved greatly and is more intuitive and professional-looking, with a plethora of surveillance/security type features.

Published 10 months ago by Julia Truchsess

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Camera, But Pricy, February 5, 2014
This review is from: Foscam FI9826W (Black) 1.3 Megapixel (1280x960p) 3x Optical Zoom H.264 Pan/Tilt Wireless IP Camera (Electronics)
Length:: 4:47 Mins

This unit uses a microSD instead of the standard SD cards and the recordings are in avi format. In some of the recordings, my video stuttered. When it recorded video, the audio was also captured.

Almost everything I liked and disliked about the other HD Foscams got carried over to the FI9826W. Setup was simple. Not Plug and Play QRCode simple but took me less than 5 min to finish my configurations.

I think the unit is very expensive. At $250, that's $100 more than the FI9821P and $60 more than the FI9831W.

Right now, I'm torn between giving this 4 or 5 stars. If the FI9826W had the Plug and Play QRCode, I would gladly give it 5 stars.

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
3.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Picture Quality, No MacOS Support, March 24, 2014

When in focus, the image is extremely sharp and clear. The focus range when zoomed out is about 12-30 inches; when zoomed in it's 48" to infinity. It's a shame they can't keep it in focus over the whole zoom range, and there is no manual focus adjustment so you're stuck with the factory adjustment, which limits the usefulness of the zoom feature for me. I use these cameras for remote monitoring of 3D printers, and the focus requirements are different from those of most surveillance applications.

The real deal-breaker for me, however, and the reason it's probably going back, is that a browser plug-in is required in order to view video, and the plug-in does not work under MacOS. Not under 10.6.8 on my Macbook Pro, nor under 10.7.5 on my iMac, with either Chrome or Firefox. Since the camera is very new I can understand they need time to work out all the bugs, but when I emailed tech support they replied "For Mac i would suggest using an app called Evocam as the browser will not have all of the options available." The email came from a no-reply address so I couldn't even write back and tell them I don't care about all the options, I just want to see video. I don't want to use a third-party application, and I don't particularly like Evocam. Requiring installation of a plugin makes it inconvenient for others with whom I might want to share the cam URL. Had tech support replied that they are working on the Mac browser plugin I might keep the cam, but based on their reply I doubt I will, tempting as the image quality is.

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on May 7, 2014 2:14:50 PM PDT
Hello,

We apologize for the poor experience with our camera. When using the camera on a Mac, currently Safari is the only support browser. Both the Chrome and the Firefox plugins are only supported in the Windows version. If you have any other questions or feedback, please feel free to contact us a amazon@foscam.us

Again, we apologize for the inconvenience and greatly appreciate your feedback.

Best Regards,
Foscam Customer Service

4.0 out of 5 stars Image quality has improved, but quality and firmware issues still present, January 10, 2014
I have owned 9821 V1 for a while and was looking for better options. 9826 was released a few month ago overseas and only now made it statewide at a higher premium price. 9826 is not a direct replacement of 9821, there is also 9831, but it's the only one available for sale in the US. So is this one better then 9821?

PROs:

1. Excellent and actually improved image quality over 9821. It has a new sensor with 960p resolution and it doesn't disappoint, there is very little noise and images are quite clean and sharp. Day or Night, looks beautiful. If you use 960p image is 4:3 format, there is option to use 720p for a wider picture.

2. Improved design, overall this one looks nicer. Same size as the rest of Foscam PT cameras which is on a large side.

3. Zoom lens is a nice addition, although not as wider angle lens as 9821 or especially the new 9831 (not available yet).

4. I am using this as a baby cam and built-in speaker/microphone work well, but not quite as loud. Also, there is just no way to control sound levels.

CONs:

1. Firmware is still far from being perfect and you will run into bugs there and here and some features not fully working. Especially latest firmware where the camera would drop fps and show ghosting with IRs on. (1/2/2014 Ghosting addressed in latest beta) For recording I would probably use some 3rd party software. It's getting better though, at least they added support for "hidden SSIDs" with latest update.

2. Same issue as 9821, but 9826 takes extra time to display picture then my other IP cams. Especially annoying when using Android apps. That doesn't matter if it's on wireless or wired. For instance it's 3 am in the morning and your baby cries, you launch the app if you are using it as a baby cam and you want to see picture immediately at night and not wait 3-4 seconds before it connects. These extra seconds are really annoying.

3. No zoom presets.

4. Expensive at full price. I bought it for $195 during holidays which I think is reasonable.

5. QA is not very good still. I have two cameras with different hardware issues that require replacement. If you are lucky you may get a perfect one, otherwise be prepared that you might have to exchange it at your own expense.

6. Zoom lens a bit noisy. Might be a concern if you are planning to use it in a baby room

7. Focus is fixed and if you have a blurry picture there is no way to adjust it. It's a hardware defect that requires replacement.

Issues specific to my cameras:

1. My first camera exhibits strange behavior with PT angle button movements where camera stops responding when pressed. It comes back after a minute or so.

2. My second camera came in defective with a blurry bottom when zoomed in and IRs on. I had to exchange for a new camera at my own expense. 1/2/2014: New Replacement arrived, again with blurry lens with IRs on and zoomed in. Waiting for resolution from Foscam.

If you do buy this camera, expect you'll run into bugs with the firmware and make sure to check if you have any blurriness in the picture when using zoom and IRs on. I have 2 cameras with this defect already.

Update 12/28/2014: I no longer own this camera I've switched to another brand Hikvision, so I don't have any latest update on this camera.

1.0 out of 5 stars Glad I kept my older model, February 6, 2014
I purchased this camera directly from Foscam since I was looking for the same form factor of my old FI8910W ( http://amzn.to/1aAKdQB ), while getting an increase in resolution. I've had the FI8910W since March of last year and never had any issues with it, and it looks like I will be going back to it.

I am on my second one of these cameras, as Foscam replaced my first one under warranty (the customer service was very good, we will see about this second return). The main issue with this camera appears to be the hardware, in specific, the lens. This camera suffers from both poor focus, and also poor contrast. I will be posting two snapshots here in "customer images" to show you what I mean. Both photos were taken in a completely black room, with the IR light disabled.

As you will see, the image contrast/brightness is very unbalanced, in my photography experience, this is more than likely an issue with the image sensor. This imbalance is a particular issue at night since the part of the image which is saturated, washing the image out, making things indistinguishable. In addition to the contrast and brightness, the focus is also very blurry and it is not until you zoom in, that the focus comes into balance. Unlike my older Foscam, this camera does not give you the ability to twist the front ring to adjust the focus yourself.

One other minor gripe on this camera was that my replacement came with glue or resin caked around the camera lens ring. This is only a superficial issue, but it makes me question the quality of manufacturing of this product.

I will keep this review up to date since I have just contacted Foscam customer service again regarding these issues. If you are looking for a camera like this, I would hold off on this new model until the quirks are worked out of it. If you have to get something immediately, I would try one of Foscam's older models such as the one I posted earlier in my review. You may suffer some in terms of resolution, but in my experience, the overall image quality will be acceptable.

Thanks for reading. Personal reviews are extremely important to me when I am shopping online. If you found my review helpful, let me know by clicking "Yes" below, it helps me write better reviews. I also try to respond to all comments. Take care!

PROs:

CONs:

3. No zoom presets.

Issues specific to my cameras:

I've been doing extensive research and monitoring IP camera market over the years. Tried dozen different brands at my own expense. Despite all Foscam flaws, I haven't found anything else yet that would offer same set of features and offer excellent image quality at this price, but their quality control could be hit and miss. They still have no real competition with their latest cameras specifically 9826 or 9831. I really hope someone can tell me otherwise.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works Great and Easy Plug and Play Setup, August 4, 2014
TWC (Downingtown PA) - See all my reviews
This camera works for me. I'm using it to mostly to watch pets. My house is in the woods with a dark inside most of the day and the picture is great. It's night veiwing with IR in a black and white image is also quite good. It's zoom and motion funtions also work fine. I have not used any of the record or alarm features just viewing from the Foscam iPhone app and Mac computers. Set up for iPhone 5 was as simple as scan bar code and your done. If my router supported plug and play (WPS) it would have been that easy also. I have a Apple Time Capsule so I had to set up it's settings manual. I have a good understanding of computers but not so much with routers, however I found everything I needed to set it up on line at the Foscam site and on YouTube. I knew nothing about what a static ip and port forwarding was but learned what and how to do it online for this is the secure way of setting this camera up and I recommend it highly. Had trouble viewing it with Foscam software on a 2006 Macbook Pro but Foscam support recommended a program called Evocam which worked just fine. I would have given it 5 stars but the audio portion of the camera is just poor. Speaker is hard to hear and mic is inadequate also. This was my first camera and it works for me...

1.0 out of 5 stars FOSCAM shipped me half way repaired junk as "new"! Also, horrible Phone Support, April 21, 2014
I purchased direct from FOSCAM.US the FI9826W and FI9806W in May 2014. The 9826 was obviously re-boxed, missing plastic wrap and smelled like it had been “on fire”, burnt microchip smell. The cam preset and other functions did not work.

Calling FOSCAM for support was a nightmare. I tried 8 times, and spent 4 hrs 19 minutes on hold. Then, I never did get the needed assistance. The Foscam phone support tech hardly understood English as if I could understand anything he was saying on that broken voice over IP phone system they use.

After all that, the phone technician finally told me I needed an RMA. But, I must send an email requesting replacement to: replacement@foscam.us. So, I sent them an email a few days ago. THEY HAVE NOT YET REPLIED. Looks like I will need to contact my Credit Card Company to get a refund. HORRIBLE!

PRE-SALE QUESTIONS? GIVE UP! I called to ask if the FI8906W requires a 12v or 5v cable. I was on hold 97 minutes total. I was hung-up on my first call by a phone technician. SECOND CALL: The phone technician was guessing at an answer of 5volts. But, how can that be true when all the other outdoor cams are 12v to power 30-60 LEDs? Foscam support was guessing based on wrongly listed accessories on the 8906 web page. No answer was ever confirmed by Fascom. I got the correct “12 volt” answer from a YouTube video. I needed to be sure before purchasing 3x cables at 14.99 each. Foscam was wrong. HORRIBLE!

AUDIO QUESTION? Do you want to know if the cam audio-in is line level or electorate microphone? GIVE UP, Foscam support can not answer. They will guess and cost you a lot of effort, time and, money.

Who are these people that give this company good review? Could it be Foscam Public Relation posting lies? YES, all the reviews saying great support MUST BE a Foscam Public Relation Company posting propaganda!

I will send my cams back and fight the charges with my credit card. Stick a fork in me, I’m done.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed - does not maintain internet connectivity, November 11, 2014
Very disappointed. Would not buy it again. Will look for other manufactures for additional cameras.

First thing you should know is that Foscam monitors the reviews customers try to post on their website very carefully. They do not post negative reviews - period.

My first reactions to this camera were positive. I downloaded the iPhone app and used the "plug and play" scan feature and set it up and connected very easily. There was no need for port forwarding. It worked immediately.

If you are having problem with the intial setup, check that your router has a WPS button. I had to disconnect my $199 AirPort Extreme because it doesn't support WPS and get an equally good complimentary router from my internet provider that had a WPS button. Another example of Apple arrogance.

Problems began when I couldn't set it up on my iPad. I called customer service. After a half hour wait and fifteen minutes with a tech rep for whom English was clearly not his first language, we discovered that both the user name and the password are case sensitive. Never encountered this before - usually it's only the password. Problem resolved.

The picture is clear. I found that I got more zoom by pinching the iPhone/iPad screen than by using the app's zoom feature. Detail on close-ups is excellent.

Then I tried to set it up on my Windows 8.1 laptop. You really need a laptop to use all the features of the camera - the app is limited to basic features only. Also very easy to set up and connect. Extremely difficult to use. Biggest problem is that they assume you're familiar with all their terminology. They explain how to do things, but they don't explain what you are doing. Also pointers are very touch sensitive, even if you adjust their speed. Everytime I tried to move the camera lens, I lost range, and I had to manually move the lens back into place. The app is not so sensitive.

Also tried their version of the cloud for recording. Couldn't make it work because I needed to do port forwarding. Their directions are impossible to follow. I contacted customer support. The tech rep wanted to access my router. I didn't feel comfortable with this and decided I really didn't need the cloud anyway.

Foscam's on-line manual's are C-. Knowledge of technical terms is assumed. They are aggravating to read because they are clearly written by someone whose first language is not Engish. There are significant mistakes in syntax and usage.

Internet and phone access is sketchy. We bought this camera to keep watch on our basement furnace and hot water heater when we are away. The app always works fine when we are at home for both home internet and Verizon 3/4G. It worked fine with our different nternet provider the first week we were away at our second home. Then suddenly I could connect but I couldn't view. It never works on 3/4G when we are out of the house.

I paid $219 on the Foscam.us website. I notice it's a bit less expensive at Amazon.com. Regardless of what the Foscam website tells you, they do not ask you where you bought it when you call tech support, and they appear to provide phone support whether you buy it from them or from another vendor. Also be careful if you Google the name "Foscam." There is an official Foscam.us website. Sometimes I was redirected to a bogus sales website that looks like it's the offical Foscam one.

If you buy from the official Foscam website, Google "Foscam coupons." I found a couple that worked for a 10% discount. Also if you call Foscam and speak with a sales rep, he will give you 10%.

2.0 out of 5 stars A significant learning curve, with one major issue still unresolved, October 12, 2014
Outcome: Returned the camera to Amazon because the IR focus was unsatisfactory and the program would not work.

I contacted Foscam sales explaining that I like the features and price of this camera and would purchase many of them, except that the IR is out of focus. I provided imagery demonstrating the effect. Although I've received plenty of sales spam, I've not received a relevant reply. This is a fundamental shortcoming -- who can recommend a capability that fails at its primary function during the hours of darkness?

Before purchasing 8 of them, I purchased one camera to test its suitability for an 8 camera, bandwidth-constrained retail installation that would be permanently wired, not wireless. For background, I am a licensed professional electrical engineer who occasionally works with simple networks, so I have basic domain knowledge, although areas outside my experience can still take a while to resolve.

What works well (now that I have things working)?

-The camera's built in web server worked very well, resulting in very satisfactory performance when managed on a PC through a browser -- I successfully used both Chrome and Internet Explorer 11

-Pan and Tilt work well and reliably using the camera's built in web server to control through a browser

-Zoom works well and may be helpful for those intending to use the same camera in a variety of locations

-Daylight imagery was sharp

-Colors were decent

-Walking and motion was captured without issue (haven't tested running or vehicles due to location)

-Bandwidth control worked well and was accessible

-I found the browser interface for internal camera settings to be pretty intuitive and accessible

-The included Foscam PC software quickly found the camera and allowed me to change its IP to match the intended network

-The manual was quite detailed, thorough, and reasonably helpful

-The camera appeared to have no issues with PC firewall. Whether the firewall was on or off had no apparent effect on the camera operation, nor on the ease or difficulty I was experiencing

-Firmware update went well with the camera's web server through a browser interface

-New firmware was available, suggesting that Foscam continues to update and improve this product

-Different password-protected levels of access. You can set up an operator who cannot alter the settings or update firmware, but can view and pan/tilt/zoom.

What works poorly?

-The PC software on the included CD wasted a lot of time. In retrospect, this should only be used to align the IP with your network, then switch to the camera's web server. I struggled with it for several hours over two days before giving up and trying the much better browser interface. Functionality under the PC program was inconsistent and unintuitive. Some things (such as the system tab) simply didn't function.

-Using the Foscam PC software, the Pan and Tilt were totally unreliable, stopping whenever they felt like it, often continuing to move until hitting the camera limits of motion. After struggling with this for a while, I began to think I would have to return a failed unit, so I wonder if this software problem might result in some unnecessary returns for some who might not struggle for hours to figure out why things aren't working correctly?

-This Foscam PC software threw error messages that stymied me. I don't recall the details, as it's been hours of struggle and I didn't keep good notes, but I do recall that error messages were unhelpful in trying to figure out how to resolve the issues.

-Daytime was sharp and useful, but nighttime video was fuzzy. It was so fuzzy, it was not appropriate to recognize individuals even where pixel density should have been adequate. I've seen snapshots from Hikvision and Dahua cameras which were sharp in both infrared and in visible light, so I wonder if this is just a Foscam problem? Or do I have a dud? I'm pretty sure (now that I've worked through the other problems and it's mostly working satisfactorily) that this is a show stopper and I'll be returning this camera.
*edit* Awkward Hamster's review did not seem to show this shortcoming, but since it's very pronounced on my camera, I'm guessing that I have a dud.

-In the settings, you cannot turn off wifi. Other wired/wifi devices I have used, such as switches and printers, allow you to disable wifi from within the software as a security measure. This design omission unnecessarily exposes a significant attack surface.

-The password can only be 12 characters long. To make this camera accessible remotely, your password is the only defense between your network and the entire internet. See black hat 2014 to understand how third party video camera access can completely compromise your network. On a device that handles Kbps-Mbps, this sort of restriction on password length, which increases user risk, is inexcusable.

-The Foscam PC program was non-functional under the systems section. The firmware could not be upgraded using this tool.

-The manual was very long, and should have quickly told me what I ultimately learned the hard way - used the included PC software only to find and change the camera IP, then go straight to the camera's web server via browser. I wasted hours and a lot of goodwill for Foscam because the manual did not organize this important piece of information in something like a quick start guide.

-I downloaded two different iPhone apps, the Foscam and the Blue Iris. For the brief time I struggled with it, I couldn't get the Foscam app to operate reasonably well. For background, there was a free Foscam app that appeared relevant to a single camera, but for our objectives I thought that I needed to use the multi-camera app which was not free. I wouldn't spend the $6.99 on that Foscam app if I had it to do over again.

-The web server worked very well in most cases, but there was a noteworthy functional omission. In full screen mode, you cannot see the PTZ controls. The manual indicated that you can right click within the image to expose a pop-up controls menu, and this worked well for zoom in/zoom out. However, this pop-up menu did not have a "Screen PTZ" menu item as indicated in the manual. This control (if it had been there) would have been very helpful. The manual did note that Mac OS browser plugin did not support this feature, but it was also unavailable on my Windows 7 PC in either Internet Explorer or Chrome, even though both firmware and plugins were updated to what appears to be Foscam's most recent configurations.

-A small thing, but with the Foscam plugins active, even when the Windows focus is moved to a different window (via alt tab), Foscam full screen mode is all that can be seen. Normally when you switch an application to full screen and use the alt-tab key to switch to different applications, the full screen browser recedes to background and the "active" window is "on top" and can can easily be seen.

-As other reviewers have noted, from the web client, activating both talk and listen at the same time causes a screeching feedback. In light of this limitation, it would have been better to have a "push to talk" button which, during that moment, disables client speakers. As it stands, the screeching makes the system unusable because a conversation requires rapidly clicking pairs of buttons, which is even less convenient. This screech occurs when the client is nowhere near the camera: feedback is occurring from the client speakers to the client microphone.

*A few notes that might be helpful*

Once you know your camera's IP, you can log onto the your camera through a browser pointed at http://<YourIP>:88 and log in with the default username of admin, no password

Once you have that working OK, you might want to use an encrypted channel through a browser pointed at https://<YourIP>:443 with whatever username and password you have set up. It will present the usual username/password log-in screen. If your display suddenly presents a messy appearance, try looking at your browser's URL/address. Is it missing the ":443" on the end of the IP address? Try typing it back in; this corrected our unsatisfactory display issues through the encrypted channel.

Both IE7 and Chrome tell you that the https:// connection is unsafe, because your camera's certificate has not been registered with any certification authority. Although the browsers say it is "not recommended" to override the browser settings, it really IS safe because you know you are connecting to your own camera inside your own network, so even though Foscam has not registered these certificates with a certification authority, you can accept them without worrying about those dire warnings.

Early in this process, as you log on the browser will indicate that you should download the video web plugins. I clicked on this and was directed to download an exe file from the Foscam web site. When I executed this, the browsers worked well. For background, the settings page was always accessible from the browser with or without the plugins, but the video was not accessible until after they were installed.

Here is a small quirk that is not specific to this product - once, I changed from DHCP to static IP, which changed the IP that was assigned to the camera. Based upon my security settings, Chrome prevents plugins from running until you click on the approval link which says something like, "allow these plugins to run ON THIS IP ADDRESS" (emphasis added). I didn't think about it when I changed the IP address and, again with the somewhat unhelpful messages, spent quite a bit of time trying to figure out why it wouldn't work before the clue bird landed and I finally clicked on that not terribly obvious Chrome link to allow these plugins to run ON THE CHANGED IP. *sigh*

The web server browser interface is clean, functional, and accessible and has a number of multi-camera views: single video, 2x2=4, 3x3=9. Unfortunately, it lacks 4x4=16 videos and also lacks the 8x that typically provides one large image in the upper left and 7 smaller images wrapped around the bottom and right side of the larger image.

I am trying to decide if this camera is suitable for an 8-camera installation over ADSL at about 750 Kbps. That limited throughput would offer less a little less than 100 Kbps per camera. 50 Kbps was the largest setting I could use without going over (this camera's setting are selectable in jumps from 20K, 50K, 100K, 200K, ...2M). Using a network monitor, I found that the camera used about 100 Mbps in good lighting and about 200 Mbps in IR mode. Using the web interface, I changed the bit rate (located in settings/video/video settings/main stream/bit rate) from the default 2M to 50K. This appeared to slow down the frame rate, get a little fuzzier, and increase latency, but otherwise was not a terribly horrible effect on the video -- it was still adequate (except for the unrelated issue of infrared focus).

What's left to do (but I may not get to it - see infrared focus issue above) is to purchase another camera and verify that a single browser can easily display multiple cameras in those views. When I click on each blank view, they each have their own setup, so it appears that this should be reasonably functional.

Also, I did not test the use of an SD card for local storage as this had no utility for our intended application.

In the final analysis, after the learning curve, if it weren't for the poorly focused infrared video, I think these cameras would be a good match for my application. Unfortunately, the camera is fixed focus, but I'm not sure an adjustment would be helpful, as it seems that it would have to throw visible out of focus to correct infrared focus, and vice versa. I'm guessing these are less expensive visible light lenses that were never intended to maintain the same index of refraction for infrared and visible. If this problem can be resolved, I think the functionality is good, and although the learning curve as steep, I think the camera can meet our needs. However, if the focus problem has no remedy, I wouldn't suggest purchasing this camera.

Just to be very clear, this camera is very promising with pretty decent user interface and, once past the false start of the software on the included PC, not bad setup. I think the company could really do themselves a favor by investing a little more in the step-by-step quick start guide, which could alleviate a lot of the pain I see in these reviews. Also, consistent focus across visual and infrared is absolutely critical, so this must work reliably. With these issues resolved, I think this is a winner that already demonstrates a lot of good effort and capability.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Security Camera with Optical Zoom, September 7, 2014