4.0 out of 5 stars Give silicone a chance! I didn't think I'd like it
Published on August 21, 2011 by A. Conforti

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Product, Great store, mediocre provider
When I got the watch it seemed fine, but upon comparing it to the new ones in store (same model and year) it appeared there were minor flaws in mine (misalignment of face and hands, residue on inside of glass, minor scratches on the back). This leads me to believe I received a refurbished product. I took it into the store and the owner saw this, checked the warranty,...
Published 16 months ago by Kyle

4.0 out of 5 stars Give silicone a chance! I didn't think I'd like it, August 21, 2011
This review is from: Fossil Men's FS4487 Machine Chronograph Silicone Watch - Black (Watch)
Had my eyes set on the identical Fossil watch with a black stainless band. After seeing a friends black stainless Movodo get scratched and show the silver color through, I decided to try on the silicone version. It made the watch so much lighter! I'm much more likely to wear it now! The band has a much more matte finish, which I think is much more masculine than shiny metal (ceramic or black stainless). Wish it was available with more colors as the details in the chronograph, I would have preferred red over blue.

Pros:
Lighter
Matte finish
Hard to scratch the band
Cheap to replace the band

Cons:
A little more sweat builds up behind the band
Cheaper feeling if you touch it
Not sure how long a silicone band lasts

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional watch!, October 17, 2013
WillyOne (Fort Myers, FL) - See all my reviews
I guess I would call this a Goldilocks watch, everything about it is "just right". All fossil watches come packaged in a round or, like this watch, square "tin" container filled with a firm dense foam with the watch nestled in a cutout In the foam made to fit the watch. This container was placed in a larger shipping box surrounded by air-pillow padding, so you can rest assured the watch will arrive without damage. When you pop the top off the container there is a small booklet containing instructions for registering the watch w/Fossil and it tells you where to go on Fossil's website for instructions on setting the watch functions, date, time, chronograph use, etc. The website instructions are very good. When you extract the watch from it's "cozy bed" it has the original pricing tag attached to the buckle and a clear thin membrane covering the watch crystal.

The weight of the watch is "just right". It's substantial enough to feel the watch is an excellent quality build yet it's not too heavy. I have worn it everyday since receiving it and, of the many watches I own, it is now the most comfortable watch I own. The 'patterned' silicone strap definitely adds to the watches overall appearance and the silicone used is extremely flexible and actually has a 'softness' to it. I'm always concerned about silicone straps causing my wrist to perspire, and most will, but that has absolutely not been an issue so far with this one.

The size of the watch is "just right". The trend today seems to be toward large watches and, with the case on this measuring 45mm, it is large but even on my thin 7" wrist it doesn't appear overwelming. I have a number of watches 44mm to 50mm and they 'feel' large, this one doesn't. I think the relatively slim, 12mm thick, case is what really makes this watch not 'feel' large and also a big reason it's so comfortable.

Setting this watch is similar to many, that is you pull the stem out 1 position and rotate it till the day prior to the current date appears then pull the stem out to the second position and rotate the hands until the date 'clicks' over to the current date (so you know when the hands hit 12 o'clock your starting at midnight) and continue rotating the hands to the correct time, making sure to go past 12 o'clock again before setting a pm time so the date will always change properly at midnight. Again, compared to other watches I own, this watch is the easiest to manually set. The stem's knob is easy to grasp, the distance you pull and the affirming detent when you 'hit' position 1 is reassuring as it is with movement to position 2. Many watches require pulling the stem out and turning it to see if your in the right position and, if not, pulling or pushing it a little further and rotating until you see the action you want.

The chronograph function is easy to initiate and use and the shiny blue hands on the subdial's are easy to read. The large start/stop and reset buttons are slightly concave, which I think adds to the watches' style, and provides positive tactile feedback when pressed. When the reset button is pressed the hand of the 'seconds' dial rotates counter clockwise one rotation for every minute that was measured until it's returned to it's starting position. I think this is unusual and, depending on the length of time you measured, can take a while.

I guess the styling of this watch is what caught my attention initially, as is usually the case. The machine look with the knurled bezel, the large concave buttons, the layout of the face along with the blue subdial hands and the overall black coloring all caught my attention, and catches the attention of most people who see it. I guarantee you will get compliments from many strangers who feel compelled to comment on it. All of my fossil watches have proven durable, knock on wood, and I've yet to have a single quality issue with any of the three I own. Unfortunately I haven't had as good of luck with the one Relic brand I own which is made by fossil and is a less expensive line. But I recommend fossil highly, and especially this watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sporty, yet stylish, September 7, 2010
At first I thought the watch would have been too big for my wrist (as they are a bit thin) but it works out quite nicely. The silicone band is great for sporting applications (sweat), while still maintaining its bold black style to the overall finish of class. The white tip of the clock hands look really good. Also, the hands of the left and right chronographs are blue, which adds a great touch. I'm quite happy with Fossil brand watches and this one is no different.

5.0 out of 5 stars Watch is bold, black, and beautiful., October 1, 2012
Hokie D (Charlotte, NC United States) - See all my reviews
Went to buy a Michael Kors all black watch until I saw this watch in person. It also fit my skinny wrists nicely with the adjustable silicone band. The band looks just like a metal band, but feels so comfortable. Definitely a selling point for me. The light blue chrono hands are a nice detail. All black face and different textures of black/matte black make this a great looking watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fossil Mens Watch, June 11, 2011
I ordered this watch here on Amazon. I love it. Its perfect for my job here in afghanistan as it looks nice with my black and white uniform, and the rubber bank gives it a ruggedness about it. The performance so far is perfect. The only complaints are that they face has gotten slightly scratched and the black dial has worn off a little but in places with the silver showing through. I guess this can be expected as I've been wearing this watch everyday for over a year now. I would even consider buying this same watch again in the future when mine is worn out.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best casual watch i ever had!, September 25, 2010
Strongly recommend this Watch.
It has a great look, Full black with black dial..!

Some may not like the silicone strap, but its really cool for casual watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid watch, October 31, 2013
I love this watch. Water resistant check! Solid weighty metal body CHECK! soft rubber band that doesn't catch arm hair CHECK CHECK CHECK! The watch is great, very stylish, my girlfriend loves it and of course it does all the things that it says it does (timer, watch, soft band etc).

5.0 out of 5 stars Greattttt, February 19, 2013
got the watch today. was really impressed. The wrist band feels great but like everyone else said it attracts dust and hair. Had cat hair only 5 mins after opening it. Other than that this watch is worth every penny

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality and looks awesome, November 15, 2013
The quality is awesome, and it's a heavy-duty, great looking watch. The silicone band is very comfortable and looks great.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hard to tell the time at a quick glance, January 29, 2013
mark (Elkhart, Indiana) - See all my reviews
I love the look and feel of the silicone band. The dial is very good looking up close but sometimes glancing down at the watch on my wrist it's hard to tell the time. The hands get lost in the background. But I do like wearing it.