Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

on February 12, 2011
Just showing the ease of this hood...
review image review image review image review image review image
99 comments| 102 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 23, 2009
I can not believe Canon charges $25 for something I just received for about $8 w/shipping. Nice Fit. Reversible. Plastic seems high grade. Plus you will save enough $ from this to by a good Lowe or Tamrac lense bag. Buy it with no regrets.
on February 1, 2010
For the money it's a pretty nice hood. Screws into the lens or filter and allows you to use the lens cap with the hood installed.
on May 28, 2011
I was a little skeptical when deciding whether or not to order this hood. I own two Genuine Canon Hoods: ES-71 II (50mm f/1.4) and the ET-60 (50-250mm). The Fotodiox looks and feels very similar to the ET-60. It's hard to tell that the Fotodiox isn't made by Canon except for the tell tale use of the word "For" printed on the Fotodiox hood. My Canon ES-71 II hood has an inner felt lining which neither the Canon ET-60 nor the Fotodiox for Canon EW-60C have.

This Fotodiox hood securely fits on the hood mount of my Canon T1i and also functions when attaching the hood in reverse for storage. I was concerned that this hood would only fit on the end of the lens, but I use UV Filters and didn't want to take those off. The Fotodiox hood fits securely to the lens, and fits similarly to my ET-60 hood.

The hood is very short, and needs to be to prevent vignetting of the image. I have seen some people complain that the hood isn't very long, but, the 18-55mm lens needs a short hood.

To summarize, this Fotodiox looks and feels like a Genuine Canon hood. It doesn't feel overly flimsy, and the fit is nice and tight on the lens. I paid $5 total for this including shipping (no tax). A lens hood is an easy way to make your lens look and feel more professional, giving you extra confidence when you shoot. Naturally it blocks sun flares and protects your lens.

I've only had this hood for 2 days, if it breaks under normal use I will update my review.
review image
on July 24, 2010
Because of its low price with shipping included, I took the risk of buying this lens hood even if not an original Canon part. This is one instance when purchasing a knock off proved to be an advantage. It not only looks and fits well, I did not see any significant difference from the original Canon hood except perhaps the brand name. I have a few original Canon lens hoods to compare it with and this one looks the same, serves the same purpose and utility as the original. It fits well and mounts easily too. As expected from any lens hood, it adds protection against impact, prevents glare, helps avoid finger print smudges, well sealed so no light leaks emanate from the mount, and it gave my 18-55mm IS lens a handsome appearance. I highly recommend this purchase. You won't go wrong with buying it. No wonder almost all previous reviews have given it a high rating.
on November 1, 2009
It works well as a hood. It is made of lighweight plastic very similar to the original Canon model. It fits perfectly on the lens we bought it for. Durability hasn't been tested yet (it's too recent to tell)
on July 26, 2010
I was looking for a lens hood for my 18-55mm lens. I first came across the Canon version and considered buying it. Then I saw this Fotodiox hood on Amazon for a bargain price of around $7 shipped. I read the positive reviews and bought it. And it does not disappoint. It fits the lens perfectly and functions great. I couldn't see the name brand Canon hood doing any better. Now with a lens hood this small, I don't know if I'm getting any beneficial effects on my pictures. But what I do get is a little protection for the front of the lens, a larger surface area to hold onto when manually focusing, and it levels the camera out when setting it on a surface (so you can take long exposure shots sitting the camera on a table if you don't have a tripod, for example). Plus, it just looks cool on your camera. ;-)
So if you're considering buying this hood, I say do it.
on March 11, 2010
This product works as well as the more expensive Canon product, but much less expensive. I just received it and it works just fine. Just buy it.
on May 5, 2016
This lens hood fit my fit my Canon kit lens EF-s 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS II perfectly. I'm a very happy guy because I could not afford the Canon hood and the after market products do not always fit. This one does. It clicks into the bayonet fitting and clicks in at the stops. My lens has 3 tabs on the bayonet fitting. I got this hood and the one that fits the 75-300mm kit lens in one package for about 10 dollars with prime.
on June 12, 2014
This is Donna's son Paul. I bought this for the 18-55 mm lens kit, which comes with the Canon Rebel XT and Canon Rebel T3i. I would recommend this product who is thrifty when it comes to money. This hood can turn towards the body of the camera, which is convenient since it can be placed easily in a lens pouch. I purchased two lens hoods during the summer of 2013, and they still have lasted me. You do have to be a little patient in screwing the hood onto the lens, but for the price I still give this product 5 stars. Also, Nikon includes hoods with their lenses. But I rather much prefer Canon doesn't due to us Canon users can just buy this hood for around $5!