Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on February 26, 2011
This hood fits on the bayonet mount on the lens just as the overpriced Canon hood does. Filters fit just fine without interference from the hood (it slides over the filter into the mount on the lens proper) and a lens cap also fits well inside the hood.

Unlike some non-Canon hoods, the Fotodiox also fits reversed on the lens for storage.

The inside of the hood is painted flat black while the genuine Canon hood I have for another lens has the slightly nicer black flocking. For the price difference, the Fotodiox is a better value.
on January 8, 2011
Got this generic hood rather than paying an outrageous amount for the Canon hood which Canon should have been bundled for free with the 15-85 lens. Fits perfectly, forwards, and in reverse for storage. Unlike one of the generic hoods on Ebay, the petals orient in the correct direction, with the larger petals on the top and bottom.
For reference, it does not have the anti-reflective felt coat on the inside that the canon hood has-- I do not know whether this is important or not, but I point it out. Also, I cannot comment on whether the plastic is as strong as the original but I am sure it is strong enough to absorb some shock if the lens ever fell landing on the hood.
Overall, I am pleased with this purchase.
on October 18, 2010
What can be said about a product that simply does what it should. Price is right, way better than buying the Canon version. It fits correctly and stays on tight. Pretty much perfect.
on June 5, 2011
This lens hood fits pretty nicely with 72mm lens. However I found it to be just a little bit loose, although it's not like the hood would fell out or anything, just hope it could be a bit tighter when tighten it to the thread on the lens. (I have 15-85mm canon lens). Since it's not too tight, when you hit the hood just slightly, it shifts.
VINE VOICEon February 26, 2012
This is a lot less expensive than the OEM Canon lens hood and appears to be substantially the same in construction and utility. It has worked well for me on the 15-85mm EF-S lens. I tend to just leave it in place when carrying the camera.
on April 3, 2013
I do lots of hiking and backpacking and I almost always have my camera in my hand. I bought this mainly to protect my 15-85mm lens from the occasional bump into a rock or branch and it works great. As an added bonus it reduces flaring when shooting toward the sun. It fits snugly and the quality seems good. I've hit it pretty hard a couple of times and it scratched but nothing more. If I end up breaking it at some point I will not hesitate to buy another. If you're like me and tend to not always be gentle with your lenses I would recommend putting one of these on for protection.
on October 22, 2012
I bought it to use it on a new Canon 15-85mm and it fits perfectly. I can't see a reason to pay $40 on a Canon original when it's made of plastic only and this one does the same job for a small fraction of the Canon's price. BTW, it also fits reversed and with the lens cap on.
Seriously, just buy this one and you truly won't regreat it.
on December 1, 2013
I have been using this for couple of years and it has saved my lens a few times. I had hung my EOS7D on the stroller and my son got down, the stroller went backward and the lens hit the ground. With this hood, it took all the stratches and protected my lens. I would recommend this for everyone to have it. One mistake I did was using this with flash which I should not be doing. It creates a shadow in the image.
on July 2, 2013
Fits well, protects the lens, and does not appear in the frame nor is it difficult to deal with he lens cap.

PROS
- fit is snug and perfect. Twists in to place with the right amount of resistance. Fits both outwards and reversed, with he same snug fit.
- Easy to put on and take off the lens cap with he hood on. I always keep it on.

CONS
- Difficult to rotate a circular polarizer when you have both the polarizer and the hood on. But then again, this is an obvious tradeoff thats no fault of the hood.
on December 9, 2012
I am an occasional photographer and have never truly understood the rationale for buying a 50$ lens hood. Maybe it does make a difference for the professionals, but for me this does the job (And at roughly 10% of the canon hood, I'm not complaining).
The quality is good and it does the job.

See 1 answered question