5.0 out of 5 stars Works Like a Charm
Published 13 months ago by Rachel Barr

3.0 out of 5 stars It Worked Properly but Loose and Rattle
First I bought the adapter from Canon, then I bought this one hoping to save some money. So my review is a comparison between this adapter and the one made by Canon.

Published 12 months ago by IP Knightly

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Like a Charm, August 1, 2013
Rachel Barr (Fort Davis, TX USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fotodiox Pro Lens Mount Adapter with Auto-Exposure, Auto-Focus and Auto-Aperture, Canon EOS EF EFs Lens to EOS M EF-m Camera Body (Electronics)
When I purchased this item, it had just appeared on Amazon, and there were no customer reviews. But I have been buying Fotodiox products for years, and their quality is consistently excellent. I had been looking at the Canon EOS M Mount Adapter and a couple of other brands, but when I saw the Fotodiox Pro Lens Mount Adapter at less than half the cost of the Canon, it was a no-brainer--go with Fotodiox. With this affordable adapter, my new EOS M camera should become the most versatile tool in my kit!

Then before the shipment arrived, two customer reviews were posted here, reporting that the device does not communicate complete information between lens and camera and is unusable with IS and manual focus lenses.

My bad. I should have checked the specs. I immediately ordered the Canon adapter, planning to return the Fotodiox. But when the Fotodiox arrived, I thought, wait a minute--I haven't even given it a try. What's it gonna hurt?

Well, gosh, the Fotodiox DOES work with my IS lenses--Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM and Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM. I tested both lenses with IS switched on and off (don't have any non-autofocus lenses, but I've tested manual focus on these lenses, and it works). It also works with my Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM.

So, autofocus is spot-on, and image stabilization definitely works with this adapter. (Not only is this noticeable in clearer pictures, but I also can hear the stabilizers working.) Aperture and shutter speed info are displayed on the camera's LCD, and if I get an exposure wrong, there are the usual flashing red warnings--which CAN be overridden if I choose. Exactly as if the lens were directly attached to the camera. I don't see how the Canon brand adapter could work any better.

There is a lot of chatter in photography forums about how slow EOS M autofocus is, esepcially with EF lenses attached. I was concerned about that because I LOVE my EF 28-135. And it's true; the autofocus is slower than the 22mm pancake--but not as clunky as I was expecting. AF with the Sigma, on the other hand, seems to be about the same as the 22mm pancake.

The Fotodiox adapter is made of very well-machined metal, and the finish is excellent. No wobbling, rattling or play anywhere. Lenses seat smoothly in the adapter and click solidly into place. With the adapter + lens assembly attached to my camera, it feels like one seamless piece of equipment.

My adapter did not include front/rear caps, but an EF-M cap and a EF or EF-S lens cap should work with it just fine. They're just lying there in the bag, anyway.

I give it a five-star endorsement, no questions!

3.0 out of 5 stars It Worked Properly but Loose and Rattle, September 16, 2013

The Fotodiox Adapter: It worked properly, AF worked, but the adapter is very loose (or perhaps other reviewers got a very tight fit one, which means the build quality is inconsistent). After I mount the adapter to the body, it will rotate quite a bit, it's not a snuged fit at all. When mounting a big lens to it, the problem is even worse, both lens and adapter rotate, rattle, so much so that AF is lost sometime. I had to remove and reattach the lens to re-establish AF connection. The loose fitting also made it very hard to do manual focus, as soon as I got focus, the lens shifts, rotates or wiggles downward (due to the lens weigh) then my focus is lost or at least become slightly blurry. The build quality is also poor, made in China. The tripod mount rattle and loose, seems to be made out of plastic. I tried to tighten it (afraid that it would strip the plastic thread) but after tightening, the tripod mount wiggles back and fort against the adapter body, so the camera would rock back and fort as well.

The Canon Adapter: Very tight fit, worked properly. Tripod mount fits snugly to the adapter. The whole unit is very solid.

I decided to keep the Canon adapter instead, although it's quite expensive. I think if you get a good unit from Fotodiox where the fit is tight then it's a great deal! Because this unit does work!

5.0 out of 5 stars High quality, works just well, August 21, 2013
MEJazz (Austin, TX USA) - See all my reviews
This is a high quality item and works well with my EF lenses. I have tried the Canon EF 100/2.8L IS Macro lens and the Sigma 12-24mm ultrawide lens with this and both works 100% (AF/IS). I know i can also mount fully manual lenses keeping in mind that the EOS M settings needs to be changed to release shutter without a lens detected so i am not worried about that. People who think their lens adapter does not work with manual lenses probably are missing this step as pointed out by other reviews as well.

However i feel it sort of kill the purpose of EOS M which was meant to be a compact/pocketable camera. Once you put this adapter on and then any EF/EF-S lens on it, the entire package becomes too big. Infact, it looks like you are shooting with mainly the lens as EOS M body is comparitively so small compared to most any of those larger DSLR lenses. I would rather keep using my older Rebel wih those bigger lenses and leave the EOS M to be used with its native lenses.

This adapter is however overall a very good quality product at swallowable price if you need one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely pleased with this adapter, September 19, 2013
First I have to say I was impressed with the heft of the small package before I'd even opened it -- this was not a cheap plastic construction. Opening and examining showed that this was right, it is a quality construction with a very nice fit and finish. Testing with my EF 50mm f1.4 and EF mount Tokina 12-24mm f4 wide angle zoom proved flawless. Shooting aperture priority both exposure and focus were spot on, performance on par with using these lenses on my 60D. I have yet to try it on my 70-200 f4 L IS, if the IS function does not work as expected I will come back and revise down to 4 stars, but I am going to be surprised if this adapter comes up lacking. Great quality, great price, helps keep the deal I got on the EOS M a good deal overall (I am liking the EOS M a lot, which comes as a bit of a surprise -- it was going to be a second body/backup but I might very well make it my go-to camera together with this adapter.).

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely no issues, January 23, 2014
I'm giving this 5 stars. I read all the reviews about 'loose' or 'wiggle' in the adapter between camera and lens. I've also purchased Fotodiox before in the form of extender tubes - and they work very well. So - I took a chance on this. The product is well built - there is absolutely no 'wiggle' or 'looseness' between the lens and camera with this adapter.

I would recommend this to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works as expected, August 27, 2013
Adapter works as expected on my EOS M. I have tested an EF-S 55-250mm (IS), EF 50mm f/1.8, and EF 85mm f/1.8 without issue. Auto focus and image stabilization worked correctly. No complaints for the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars fits perfect, no play, no looseness, January 15, 2014
it is just perfect, with a great fit ... fits perfect, no play, no looseness ...

i have no idea what are the others complaining about ...

3.0 out of 5 stars Missed the mark by one millimeter, November 24, 2013
Pat U (Allen Park, MI USA) - See all my reviews
I really wanted to like this product but had to return it. I've purchased other Fotodiox products and liked them but this one missed the mark. I originally purchased this adapter because it was cheaper than the Canon one. The Canon adapter lists for much higher (~$200). The quality and built of the Fotodiox adapter was very good. The problem I had was the fit (side to side) against both the camera and the lens mount. It was mostly loose against the camera and there was about a 1 to 1.5 mm amount of play when connected. This doesn't seem like much but it is enough to cause a slight electric disconnect with the lens when in uses. On some lenses the mount against the lens was also loose which further compounded the problem. The adapter does work most of the time but it is annoying when the connection is lost and you have to disconnect and reconnect the lens to correct the issue. Sometime it is necessary to power off and on again to reestablish connection. This is a real pain. I returned the Fotodiox adapter and spent the extra money for the Canon one which is a much better fit and also comes with the end caps which keeps out any dust when being stored. Look out for deals and you can probably find the Canon adapter for 50% more than the Fotodiox one. If Fotodiox fixes this loose fit issue it would be a great adapter and worth the purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well!, October 17, 2013
Adapter definitely does what it's supposed to do with my ef-s 55-250mm f/4-5.6 is ii lens. Does move a little, just enough to be able to notice it, but I was well aware of this when reading reviews while researching this adapter and will probably try to figure something out to try to get it to sit tight when I have some time on my hands. Other than that I'm happy with it. AF, and IS work great!

2.0 out of 5 stars poor connection, September 14, 2013
You have to move the adapter back and forth to establish a good connection. I would not recommend this adapter, spend the extra money for the Canon adapter.

Rate and Discover Movies