on March 19, 2011
Verified Purchase
For $39.99, you can't beat this adapter in terms of build quality and functionality. The adapter does everything it is advertised to do-
-easily mounts to Micro 4/3 body
-easily accepts Nikon F mount lenses
-allows control of lens aperture (although there are no clicking f-stop incriments on the control ring of course, , so you'll have to do some guesswork)
As for build quality, this adapter is also exceptional. It is 100% metal and has some heft to it.
If you're under the impression that you can AF with this adapter, you'll be disappointed. Focus and aperture will be manual. Also remember that there's a 2X crop factor when using this adapter. Therefore your 35mm prime lens will give the same angle of view as a 70mm.
I'd highly recommend this product to anyone with a new M4/3 camera and an older array of Nikkor lenses without aperture control.
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 10, 2013
Verified Purchase
Just a heads up for everyone ordering from this particular Amazon sale page: what you see is not necessarily what you get.

Fotodiox has made more than one version of their G-type Nikon to m43 adapter. The one shown on this sale page is the newer version; more robust, and with an improvement made to the tab that disengages the lens locking mechanism. The one that came in the mail is the cheaper version with the smaller tab. You have to work it with your fingernail, and it sticks occasionally when trying to unlock the lens. The adapter also bleeds grease from in between the moving parts, which should concern anyone considering attaching their favorite older lenses to it.

Does the adapter function the way it should? It does. So if that's your only concern, then buy with confidence. This is a great price for a very useful piece of kit. But the transaction gets two stars from me. The bait-and-switch tactic is extremely uncool. And if it was just a simple mistake, I think the seller ought to fix it.
on June 22, 2012
Verified Purchase
I got this adapter to use Nikon-mount lens on my new GH2, as I also wanted to get the Tokina 11mm - 16mm lens, I needed a G mount adapter.

Does it work? Yes

Can you control the aperture of a G mount or F mount lens? Yes

Is it perfect? No, out of the box the aperture control ring was stiff and a pain to use, also the lens release tab prevents manual aperture controls from fully opening without fiddling with it.

Fortunately, with a little work you can fix both of these short comings.

First, to loosen the aperture ring, unscrew the little metal bar the physically moves the aperture control on the lens. Next rotate the ring so that hole is covered by the adapter, spray a squirt of WD-40 in there (carefully, you will make a little mess), and rotate the ring around a few times. Clean up the adapter, re-screw in the rod and PRESTO! Smoother aperture control.

To allow manual aperture rings to move over the lens release tab, this requires a bit of work. First try to bend the tab back in a way that it is more flush with the adapter when it is locked in. I used pliers and a bit of paper towel to prevent scratching up the adapter too much. Next, use a toothpick or something to prevent the tab from depressing if you put pressure on it. Using a small/jewelers' file, file down one side of the tab (the one that the control ring hits when it rotates) until the the lens's control ring can move smoothly over it.

Be sure to clean your adapter thoroughly before mounting it onto your camera or you lens. You don't want to get grease or shaving onto your sensor.

Again for the price, this is a very good adapter, it does exactly what it advertises. To make it more workable however, you just need to adjust it a bit.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 10, 2012
Verified Purchase
As it states in the product description, this is made for G-type Nikon lenses. It -will- work with AF and old manual lenses, but not well.

Here's why: it doesn't play well with anything with an aperture ring. I find that if you combine this with a lens with an aperture ring and haven't stopped it all the way down, the larger tab on the aperture ring may press on the lens release lever of the adapter. I suspect that many of the reviews of this adapter that say it won't open the aperture full are a result of this issue. If the lens is not fully mounted onto this adapter, sure enough, you won't be able to open the iris all the way. Properly attached, the following lenses work through their full aperture range: 20/mm Sigma, 35/2D Nikon, 50/1.4G Nikon, 85/1.8D Nikon, 70-200/2.8 Nikon, 17-55/2.8.

I'll reiterate: make sure you have the lens' aperture ring stopped down and the lens fully mounted to the adapter, or else the aperture may not function properly and the lens may come off the adapter.

Other than issues with non-G lenses, this absolutely behaves as one would expect.

I'd give this five stars except for one real issue: the aperture adjustment ring built into this adapter does not move smoothly. It's operation is a bit jerky, and you will notice this lack of smoothness if you adjust it while shooting video. However, even if it could be done smoothly, adjusting the aperture during video can be jarring, so this is a non-issue to me. I have not compared this to other models of adapter.

I've used this with some sizable/heavy lenses and I feel pretty confident about the build. There is no slop on either rotation or perpendicular to the plane of focus. At least that I could discern. I have two and feel they're indistinguishable from one another. Consistent quality (for better or worse!)

Used with G lenses: 4 or 4.5 stars.

Used with AF-D/AI lenses: 3 stars.

Hope this helps. Happy shooting.
on May 6, 2012
Verified Purchase
I read reviews like most customers do. I have heard of these adapters but wasn't successful in finding out how I can get one without going through a vendor overseas. Amazon has helped me find more than I need, but, all that I could ever want. This adapter fits nicely and any lens attached to it fits nicely as well. I am using this on my Olympus EPL-1 body and find that using the LCD screen to 14x zoom for manual focus extremely helpful. It pretty much nails it for me every time. I like leaving the aperture on my G lenses wide open and thus far I can say using it on any mode that the camera has to offer works very well. I am looking forward to using this more as time permits. It has been excellent thus far.
on February 28, 2011
Verified Purchase
Purchased this lens mount adapter to use my Nikon G lenses on my Panasonic GH1. Item works as advertised. You can manually stop-down the aperture to allow less light. Build quality is solid (metal). Highly recommend.
on November 28, 2012
Verified Purchase
This adapter gets four stars and not five only because of the very tight fit on some of the many Nikkor (Nikon brand) lenses I have accumulated over decades. Otherwise, it does what you would expect, and perhaps more -- see "Unadvertised Bonus Feature" -- but only if you understand its limitation, detailed next.

With all lenses, whether manual focus AI-s, AF-D the newer G (no aperture ring) lenses, you can ONLY use this adapter in STOP-DOWN-METERING mode. What this means is that you focus with the lens aperture wide open, but meter and shoot with the aperture "stopped-down" (closed). It is a slow, two-step process. This is how things worked in perhaps the late 1960's (I'm thinking of 42mm screw-mount Pentax, and the like.) It is great if you are dedicated to the use of your prior Nikon-compatible lens collection. It is NOT compatible with anything other than a slow and methodical photography process. That does not mean you can't use it for something that moves, say a couple at a wedding or a model, but you'd want to set you choices of aperture and shutter speed and then leave it.

Exception for wide-open aperture, especially with fast lenses -- if you want to use a particular lens wide open only: focusing and metering are one-step since there is no STOP-DOWN part. Probably great with a f/1.4 to f/2 lens.

"Unadvertised bonus feature" -- which I have not seen listed in other reviews -- with G (no aperture ring) lenses, you can set the aperture fairly precisely if your m43 camera has a meter which shows as you compose the shot. Probably works best in manual mode. You could adapt this method by counting shutter speed change in aperture mode, but that's harder mental-math. With the adapter set to put the lens aperture wide open, choose a shutter speed which makes the meter show just the maximum it can over zero (e.g., plus-three). Now carefully rotate the adapter ring to control the aperture until it is however many (thirds of) stops below wide open. You have a six stop range if your camera shows plus-three to minus-three. Stop rotating when you reach your desired "offset" from wide open.

ASIDE: You can reset the shutter speed at that point if you need more. Most Nikkors have seven or eight stop ranges, but you will come up against diffraction in m43 if you go even as far as six stops. Perhaps only the Micro-Nikkors (macro) and a handful of other specialty lenses have a wider range. END ASIDE.

I've tested this with a mix of primes and zooms in each of these categories: manual-focus AI-s lenses, AF-D lenses, and with two G lenses. The G zoom was the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, the one non-Nikon in the testing.

FOCUS: OF COURSE -- with ANY lens, you will be manually focusing. No doubt that's a new experience for many.

COMPARED: The Novoflex and other movie-oriented adapters which cost about ten to twelve times the price (not a typo -- check one of the two major NYC-based camera dealers online) has a dedicated fine-threaded screw which perhaps movie-makers somehow mark to get to particular apertures. At this price , given that I only am using this with Nikon lenses for stills, I'm delighted to have saved about half the price of a very nice additional Zuiko or Lumix/Leica lens. If I shot with unchanging light or in aperture priority, I think it would fine for movies on a m43 body as well.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED -- as long as you understand that you will really have to S-L-O-W D-O-W-N your photography, at least until you get your initial settings for aperture and shutter speed if working in unchanging light. Shoot wide open, and you'll be moving faster.
on March 15, 2011
Verified Purchase
There's really nothing more I can say about the adapter. If you do your research and understand what this is, then there should be no surprises and no worries about the usefulness of the adapter. I bought a used Olympus E-P1 for cheap and I've got a ton of nikon lens that I was hoping would work with this adapter. And they do. Sure, everything is manual including the aperture (hell, you dont even get traditional "stops" with a G lens), but who cares? This isn't a magical adapter that gives you the same experience when you mount a nikon lens on a nikon body. This adapter is for people who want to experiment with photography and discover a deeper understanding about what it means to move reflected light through glass and onto a sensor. If you have nikon lenses and a micro 4/3ers body AND you want to learn more about photography, get this adapter.
on February 23, 2013
Verified Purchase
I have used it to adapt three Nikon lenses to the OM-d, E-M5. It works well with two, but it is hard to fit to the third one. The stop-down ring seems to be marked backward. The direction indicated to open will stop the lens down.
on September 24, 2012
I am very particular about my equipment and I always like to use the best. When researching a lens adapter for my GH2 with Nikon glass I was astonished at the difference in pricing. Since you can't really examine things these days with online retailers it's a tough call to make.

I bought the Fotodiox and took a chance. I also bought the $300 Novoflex. I used them side by side and was impressed at how well the Fotodiox did. I can't say it's better, but for the price it certainly competes. you could but a dozen of these for the price of one Novoflex.

Anyway, the main issues I noticed was that with my long and heavy 80-200 2.8 ED Nikon zoom, there was a little play in the mount where the lens would slightly give. This concerned me, I worried that with heavy use the lens could fall off. This is why I bought the Novoflex. Well, turns out it was mainly the mount of the GH2 that was flexing, I could only tell a minute difference between the Fotodiox and Novoflex in that respect.

The Novoflex is certainly built better, more sturdy. But aside from these differences I think the Fotodiox is a fine deal. Now, I have not extensively used it under duress, so if it fails or something changes I will update this review.

For now, my conclusion is the Fotodiox is a safe bet and for the money an impressive contender.

If you have $300, the Novoflex is solid, and to support craftsmen that create fine quality gear is nice. There's not many companies that still do that today.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations