I've been doing photography for years as a hobby - I've got all the fancy stuff and filters for everything. Problem is - filters are EXPENSIVE - especially the good ones, so I looked into these.

Published on June 3, 2010 by MiRSD

3.0 out of 5 stars Nasty fine particles
Works well. However, the material used is of poor quality creating very fine particles during screwing - unscrewing. If these end on your lens or filter and you use a cleaning method other than high pressure air, then abrasive effects to be expected.
Published on January 21, 2011 by Iceman

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic product - must-have for photographers using filters!, June 3, 2010
This review is from: Fotodiox 7 Metal Step Up Ring Set, Anodized Black Metal 49-52mm, 52-55mm, 55-58mm, 58-62mm, 62-67mm, 67-72mm, 72-77mm (Electronics)

I've heard about step-up rings before but avoided them because they were always kind of pricey - you need one for each size lens. Fortunately this set packs everything from 49 - 77mm, so you can make it just the size you need it (stacking the rings together) and at such a cheap price. Build quality is good, but stacked together it does become kind of bulky (so if space is at a minimum in your bag, these might be a bit much. Fortunately you can always just bring whatever sizes you need - it'll still be less than if you were to bring filters for each lens!

If you buy these, buy the largest size filter you need - usually 77mm - then just use the step up rings to make it the size you need it. Using this method I was able to bring just 1 polarizer and use it on a 18-55 lens, a 70-200, and a variety of primes (30, 50, 85), all of which use different filter sizes. Wish I had bought this earlier!

3.0 out of 5 stars Nasty fine particles, January 21, 2011

3.0 out of 5 stars Thin Material, February 27, 2010
F. Ty (Toluca Lake, CA) - See all my reviews
This is a great concept, but the material is very thin. It's easy to dent and bend these rings. Take good care of them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great, potential lens hood issues, August 5, 2010
I was looking specifically for a 67-72mm step up ring, but the price on this product was so low, that I bought these instead. This step-up ring set is made of all metal, the threading makes attaching and detaching from the lens / filter fairly effortless. Storage is very easy, since the rings all screw together, making a tidy little cone. I have zero complaints about the filter ring set. One caveat is that you may not be able to use your lens hood while a larger filter is attached; this isn't so much a problem with the ring set, but a configuration that wasn't accounted for by the lens manufacturer. If a lens hood is an absolute requirement, then there are screw mount lens hoods on the market that will attach to these as well. With the low cost and high utility of this ring set, I would consider it a "must-have" for any photographer's toolbox.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good cheap step-up rings, July 9, 2010
Having invested in a B+W Graduated 502 neutral density - Filter - graduated - 77 mm as well a Hoya Moose - Filter - warm circular polarizer - 72 mm, I didn't want to buy duplicates in other filter sizes. This isn't an uncommon conundrum, thus step-up rings were created. They can come in all sizes and thicknesses as well as materials, but needing a cheap and comprehensive solution, I sought out a bundle such as this.

With that in mind, I ordered the Fotodiox rings, and they arrived the next day. Since I was leaving for a 2 week vacation, I threw them in my bag before giving them a try in a more controlled environment. I primarily used the 72mm - 77mm ring, which allowed my Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 G ED-IF AF-S VR DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens to use the 77mm grad ND filter (a boon with the ever-present Norwegian sun). This combination worked without any issues, but the step-up ring seemed more inclined to want to cross threads than I'm used to. This seemed to not happen as much in subsequent installation. Some vignetting was seen, and when I added the polarizer in a stack, the corners were black until 35mm. This isn't entirely due to the step-up ring, as both filters are somewhat thick, but there definitely are thinner step up rings (for a higher cost). Going from 67mm-72mm-77mm worked, as my 67mm lens is a full frame tele lens (Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED IF AF-S VR Zoom Nikkor Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras), and I can imagine the somewhat thick nature of these step up rings causing an issue on DX wide angle lenses.

All told, I'm glad I bought these rings, but if you're looking for the absolute best solution (especially for wide angle lenses), look elsewhere.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does its job well, but not something I'd recommend, May 2, 2012
powerop (San Diego, CA) - See all my reviews
I've bought many cheap versions on Ebay in the past and I finally decided to buy a whole set to cover all my bases. The difference in quality is very minimal between Fotodiox and those from overseas - about the only difference being the better quality white lettering on the rim. The threads are not buttery smooth but its acceptable for occassional use.

Most people buy these step-up rings when they have multiple lenses of different thread diameters and they want to use a large filter to attach to all their lenses. You can use any sequential combination of step-up rings together to get to the desired filter size. The problem with that is when the position of the filter is too far away from the lens (ex: attaching many rings to accomodate 52mm to 77mm), you can run into the problem of severe vignetting if the lens' focal length is wide enough. For example, my 35mm prime lens using 52-55-58-62-67-72 rings with a 72mm filter will get very dark corners in the pictures. Another possible issue is when using a macro lens and the filter is again positioned away from the lens. In this case, there's greater chance of dust particles/imperfections on the filter that can affect your pictures. Another issue to keep in mind is that when using these step-up rings, your original lens cap will no longer fit on the filter, which is now oversized, and unfortunately, any lens hood that you had will no longer be able to detach/attach with a oversized filter blocking the way.

With those caveats out of the way, these step-up do their job just fine, hence the 4-star rating. Ideally, step-up rings should be avoided altogther because there is no real advantage to them apart from ecomonical savings. But if it comes down to it, at the most I would use 2 to 3 rings together as my recommendation. Hope this helps.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Ring To Them, August 18, 2012
Irish mike (Buckroe Beach, VA) - See all my reviews
Everyone wants to save money. All photographers want the best images possible. Some people buy the best, most expensive filters available.

For those of us who can only agree with the first two sentences- these rings may allow allow you to handle the third. With this set of step up rings just save for the largest & best filter that you can afford, then by using these, that one filter can be adapted to fit all your lenses. I currently own six lenses ranging (in filter size) from 77mm to 58mm. These let me own fewer specialty filters, but when I need one I get the best 77mm size & now it fits all of my lenses.

I own several other Fotodiox accessory type items and in addition to being fairly priced, they're well made. This is a very nice set of quality rings from them. They attach smoothly & seem to be precision-made with very good material, not to mention a very good price,

4.0 out of 5 stars Future Proofing, September 16, 2009
This is a great idea. Price is great and the fact that I can use any of my lenses with one set of step-up rings..awesome. I bought my 77mm sigma polarizer and have no problems with the fit. The 49-52 and 52-55 rings do no sit inside of eachother, but the rest do for easy storage. My only grip is that they feel kinda flimsy. They are solid, but seem to be a thinner metal than the Tiffen brand. Definitely consider this product if you are every expanding your lens collecton and want one good polarizer and a set of step-up rings to fit them all.

5.0 out of 5 stars VERY IMPRESSED !, February 18, 2009
VERY IMPRESSED WITH THIS PRODUCT, GREAT PRICE ALSO, I BOUGHT BOTH THE STEP UP AND STEP DOWN RING SETS. AND I WAS SURPRISED HOW WELL THEY FIT ON MY LENS AND FILTERS..MIKE

3.0 out of 5 stars They work, March 23, 2013
The rings are OK. They allow me to put my 58mm filters on my 52 mm lens. However, they are made of aluminum and thus pretty easy to bend or ding out of shape. And they can get stuck pretty easy. I'm gradually getting more expensive brass rings for the sizes I usually use. Meantime, it helps if you keep the stack loosely screwed together and then put a filter cap on each end 49 mm on one end and 77 on the other.

ARRAY(0x9e125f00)