Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on May 24, 2012
This is an OK hood that's a lot cheaper than the genuine Canon ET-65B product. But, you may want to spend the extra money and get the Canon hood instead.

Differences between the Fotodiox hood and the Canon hood are:

1. The Canon hood is coated with a black matte felt-like material on the inside surface which guarantees that there will not be any light reflection off the hood and into the lens, the Fotodiox hood does NOT have this coating and does reflect light.

2. The Canon hood had a nice tight/secure fit. The Fotodiox hood is slightly loose and wobbles.

Will I keep it? Probably. $5 is a lot cheaper than Canon's $45 price tag.
on June 7, 2010
Solid hood. Stays on the lens with no issues. Allows you to mount it backwards on the lens for storage as well. A very tight fit, but it fits.
on August 14, 2011
Like what other people have said, it's a little hard to put it on the lens at first, I almost gave up and thinking if I maybe got a deffective hood. I tried putting it on for about uhmm an hour :p. Until finally, I looked closely to it to see how it should work, and was able to fit it on my lens. It takes a lot of practice, but for the price it's worth it.
on April 28, 2010
Perfect fit. Easy on and off. Much cheaper than the one from Canon, but just as good.
on May 18, 2011
IMPORTANT, IMPORTANT, IMPORTANT: I attempted to put this hood on as soon as it arrived AND had no success BUT DECIDED to wait for my husband to come home to see if he could install it. From my attempts and from all appearance I thought it had to be mismarked/not the right hood. I waited for my husband and he had the same problem. He thought as it was bayonet fit and my lens was threaded possibly bayonet style was incorrect for my lens and that I had ordered the wrong hood! I pulled out another lens with hood I had, that had given me no problems and looked at the way it was made. SAME LOOK about it. I took the new hood and the 70 x 300 and gave it another shot. Played a minute and ! WALLAH ! it fits, REPEAT, IT FITS, IT FITS but takes a firmer twist. No looseness, after the fact, a PERFECT, TIGHT fit. SO, DON'T DISPAIR IF YOUR EXPERIENCE IS THE SAME AS MINE, BE FIRM, BE FIRM, BE FIRM. It really is the right lens hood. I am so glad I HATE TO COMPLAIN which I will do if something is wrong but I am also glad I have patience, it's a good thing to have and saves so many headaches. :) :) :)

RSBlain
on May 5, 2012
I'm not sure why some here are having difficulty, but this hood was very simple to install. You simply put it up against the front of the lens, turn slowly counter clockwise (like unscrewing) until it clicks into place, then a small turn to the right (clockwise) to lock it into place. I tried out the hood from 70 to 300mm and it never once interfered with a shot. If you have small hands (or long fingers) you can even get the lens cap on while this is installed. I highly recommend this hood for the 70-300 IS USM lens.
on December 28, 2012
I purchased this product on Amazon when I bought the corresponding lens. I learned a valuable lesson when I purchased another Fotodiox product (the cover for my kit lens). With this purchase, like my previous one, I received a fine-fitting piece of plastic at 1/10 the cost of buying the same product from Cannon.

Not only does this product save 90% off the branded alternative, but it works phenomenally well. It fits snug both in the forward and reverse (storage) position. While I am not 100% convinced that I will use the reverse storage option on this hood (it is an awfully big hood), it has a place in my camera bag where I just take it out and pop it on as needed.

The fit is perfect and this, in my opinion, is an excellent deal from a company that has succeeded in giving me a fabulous product at a competitive price twice in the last two months!

The only drawback with this product has nothing to do with Fotodiox or the product's design (in terms of quality). Its more of a size issue. This hood is BIG. And, given the construction of the lens -- it should be -- to keep out unwanted glare on certain shots.

It could cause you some storage issues in your bag -- but for now, I contend carrying it because its a small price to pay for missing that huge shot when the sun is in an inconvenient position. I would also need it if shooting near the ocean or waterfalls since this hood will do a great job of keeping water droplets from reaching the glass.

So, have fun storing this big piece of plastic, but as I bring the corresponding lens into my normal shooting routine, I have no doubts that I will be using this hood often. Fotodiox has done a great job with both hoods I own. I did a lot of research before purchasing their brand, and I could not be happier!

Also -- shipped on time, arrived well-packaged and in perfect condition.
on July 2, 2010
I was skeptical about this hood in that it wasn't a genuine Canon however I had read a bit more insight elsewhere on this brand and opted to spend a bit more then the $4-5 ones posted. I received the hood a few days ago and admit it is a very snug fit and I am quite pleased with my decision. Highly recommended - a lot of bang for the buck. Sorry Canon, but $50 for a piece of plastic is merely overpricing and gauging.
on December 21, 2014
I realize this is not OEM canon however this hood works just fine for us.
It fits our lenses without much difficulty
The price is fantastic

the only con is that it took a LONG time to receive - like a month.

so long as you can wait to receive it then this is a great buy
on June 19, 2011
Don't get ripped off by Canon's hood, buy this! Perfect fit on my EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM. The snap alerts me that I have got it fully secured on the lens. Because it's a bayonet style I can simply turn the hood around to keep it on my lens all the time. Great product! I would recommend this over the $45 Canon hood any day!
review image review image