on July 11, 2010
The adapter is very well made and fits better than most from other sources. However, it has one very irritating flaw. The M42 thread on the examples I bought are off by roughly 60 degrees, meaning that instead of the distance scale marker sitting at the top, it now sits well to the right. The A/M lever is now also very difficult to use, as it in turn sits at the top, right under the "extension" for the flash.

I have contacted Fotodiox about this, but no response.

For the casual M42 lens user, this adapter is recommended. But for the use-M42-lenses-daily user (like myself), the search for a good converter continues, as this isn't it.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 7, 2011
I'm using this adapter on a Rebel T3i with a 50mm 1.4 SMC Takumar, a Vivitar 135mm 2.8, and a Vivitar 2x tele-extender. This piece works sufficiently to mount the lenses to the camera, but there are some nagging faults.

Overall, the adapter has a clean construction- it's well made, but the threads are not properly aligned, meaning all your lenses will rotate about 45º past the "correct" stop. A bonus is the flange that depresses the aperture pin, allowing for full aperture control (in most cases).

50mm Takumar: Seeing how this appears to be the model lens shown by Fotodiox, I assumed it would work flawlessly. Unfortunately, mounted normally the lens is prevented from reaching infinity focus, due to the design of the adapter restricting the rear element movement. The focus is flawless from around the 15 foot mark to the minimum focus distance. Also, the lens retains full aperture control.

12/3/11 EDIT: I filed about 1mm of material off of the inside of the adapter ring, allowing my 50mm to focus perfectly throughout the range.

Vivitar 135mm 2.8: This lens works well with the adapter, retaining a full range of focus. However, the design of the lens does not allow the adapter to press the aperture pin in all the way, meaning that apertures smaller than f11 are unobtainable (effective aperture range is 2.8-11). That said, how often do you shoot with a telephoto prime at minimum aperture?

Vivitar 2x tele-extender: I was most pleased with the results of the this piece mounted with the Fotodiox adapter. Coupled with the 50mm Takumar, full aperture and focus ranges were retained. Flawless.

Overall, the M42 to Canon EF adapter is a fine product for $10. Don't expect it to work perfectly every time (or any time, perhaps), but for what it is and what it's used for, it's worth it to try it out.
on August 21, 2009
This works just as it is supposed to. I have a Canon Xsi DSLR and a handful of lenses from my mother's 40 year old pentax. All work great!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 8, 2012
The good is that it is indeed made of metal and certainly allows one to use M42 lenses. The bad is that it doesn't lock fully in place! It has a slight wiggle of perhaps a millimeter or two in its rotation, so that when one focuses it will likely move. Almost a fantastic product for the price save for this annoying flaw. The mount is most definitely "locked" and won't come off without being manually released, but it isn't secure. Fotodiox has not replied once to any of my 3 attempts to contact them.

Used on a 5D MkII

ATTENTION: Not all M42 lenses function when focusing to infinity on 5D cameras due to the large mirror on the 5D. This page compiles a thorough list of those that will and will not hit the mirror when attempting to take a picture when focusing at infinity: panoramaplanet.de/comp/
Hope that helps,
Cheers
on January 21, 2010
The adapter arrived on time and in good condition, and it fits my Canon XSi and Pentax SMC Takumar 50mm 1.4 lens fine. Someone else mentioned that focusing could be a challenge because modern auto focus digital SLRs do not have the focusing aids that were available on manual focus cameras like my old Spotmatic. They were right. Sure you can kind of see when something is in focus but I have gotten a lot of images that are not quite focus sharp.

There are other adapters that have a (magical?) chip in them that allows your digital SLR to indicate when you have achieved best focus. I have now ordered that and hope that will give me more consistent results (but still with the need to manually stop down the f-stop). The adapters with the chip are more expensive but still not much more considering the advantage.

I am looking forward to seeing just how good the Takumar lens does on the Canon. Many years ago I had the lens tested and it was rated "excellent" on most f-stops. So this will be telling... can a nearly 50 year old lens perform as well or better than a modern "normal" zoom? We'll see.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 11, 2011
This adapter works as needed. On my canon t2i It fits well and doesn't leak light. I recommend it to anyone. Also the shipping was quite fast.
on January 4, 2011
It's cheap, it does the job and it does the job well. You can pay more for another one with AF chip, but expect to pay a lot more. I chose the black anodized version to match the lenses and the body's color. It is built to function and and to last, so no worry, it works right out of the box.

45 degree off axis? Not a problem. All focus distances work. Great value!
on June 24, 2011
Now I can use the m42 mount type lens mount in my canon xsi.

Fits nice. nothing more to say here.

You get: - Only manual focus. (There is another one whit Dandelion AF confirm chip).
- An odd live view performance in M exposure mode. You always have to let get in much more light (overexpose) to be able to look and focus through LCD screen. So, you have to overexpose to get focus and after that, expose properly to take the shot. This is only a big pain when you are in a really low light situations°°.
- A difficult focus achievement truth the tinys Rebel-type viewfinders.
- An old prime lens mounted on your new brand DSLR, with a slightly twisted final look that don't screw your images. This twist is with the Hellios M44, Super Takumar and Rokinon lenses and I don't know if that happen with other m42 mount type lenses. Anyhow is harmless to image quality.
- 9,00 Dollars(Approx.) minus in you bank account, so do your estimations carefully.

If you have several of this lenses or/and have bad eyes, perhaps it will be good to change your camera focus screen. I don't try it this yet and I don't know if this is a convenient step to take, so be careful.
look here : focusingscreen.com

°°Update 02/2012, canon XSI (450D) owners:

To solve or reduce the dark LCD problem when you are using live view in M exposure, you can pop the in-camera flash up, doing that, the lcd will show you a better lighted image to focus. I find in certain cases this method better than make exposure changes. This work with my canon Rebel XSI but I don't know if this work for other cameras. You can also change to Av, P, or A-DEP exposure mode to make the LCD (live view) screen work properly. (Better than flash method)

The problem with the live view mentioned before is may be caused because the lens is manually stoped down to read the entering ligth, or because of the lack of some electronic contact in the lens. It is different with the auto focus lenses because the camera always read the ligth with the lens diaphragm fully opened to let the LCD show you a proper lighted -exposed- image, except in night photography, sadly.

The canon Rebel XSI (at least mine) can't do nothing (or don't want to ,'cause she's rebel anyway) when you are in a very dark scene, may be because of the lack of any method to simulate and show you a proper exposed image in the LCD before you take the picture, so you see in the LCD what you see through the view finder, not the final image).

Sorry for my English.
on April 1, 2013
I am finally able to use my dad's old pentax and yashica 35mm film prime lenses on my 60D. Those lenses are the screw mount m42. They still focus to infinity and work great for shooting video and manual focus in AV mode for stills on my Canon.
on March 12, 2013
Not much to say about this adapter. It appears to be fairly well made, and my m42 screw mount lens screws into it easily. My lens has a pin that must be depressed in order to allow you to operate the manual aperture, and the flange in this adapter depresses the pin without issue.

My only complaint would be that there's a little bit - maybe 1mm - of rotational play when the adapter/lens are mounted, but it's not insecure by any means. You may notice it when manual focusing if your MF ring has some resistance. It's mildly annoying, but for the price I can't complain.

This adapter isn't chipped, so know that there is zero communication with the camera - including the MF assist light in the viewfinder.

Does what it supposed to do for a reasonable price. Would recommend as long as the above is taken into consideration.