4.0 out of 5 stars Product works well enough but has its problems.
Published on February 9, 2011 by antonphotog

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing result after a good start...
(Please see revised comment at the end of this, my original review.)

Published on December 12, 2011 by Shadowman

4.0 out of 5 stars Product works well enough but has its problems., February 9, 2011
This review is from: Fotodiox NIK-NEX Nikon Nikkor Lens to Sony Alpha Nex E-mount Camera Lens Mount Adapter (Camera)
I purchased this so I could use my NIKON lenses on my NEX-3, it works very well however the product comes with NO documentation whatsoever and even the manufacturer's website has no real instruction. If the seller reads this PLEASE package some instructions with your product. In order for the camera to recognize your nikon/canon lens you need to set, under the MENU "release without lens Enable" Once you set that to enabled then you can use the camera with your other lenses.
Another thing the 2 small screws that are used to attach the base where one would screw into a tripod plate, could be a little longer than they are, they have come off my adapter and im having a pretty hard time adding them in, as it is now they have extremely small clearance to catch the threads of the holes. Aside from that, product works fine.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing result after a good start..., December 12, 2011
(Please see revised comment at the end of this, my original review.)

I purchased this for my new Sony NEX VG-20 video camera so I could use my old Nikkor lenses from my Nikon 35mm cameras. These lenses are more than 35 years old but are still optically perfect. The Fotodiox adapter does not come with any instructions but it is pretty self-explanatory. The tricky setting is on the camera itsself. On my model, I have to change an item in the Settings menu to allow "shooting without lens" so the camera will function. The lenses I have tested so far are Nikkor 24mm F2.8, 50mm F1.4, 200mm F4.0 and 500mm F8 Reflex and I have tested both the 200mm and 500mm with a Tamron 2X doubler. The lenses all fit tight to the adaptor and the adaptor fits tight to the camera. I set the lenses manually to their maximum aperture and am able to adjust exposure manually on the amera. Of course, all focusing is manual. I tested all the lenses using the still photo ability of the camera and everything looks great and compares well to the 28-200mm Sony lens I got with the camera. The only downside is that the tripod mount on the adapter is too close to the camera to be used with my Manfrotto quick-release plates but I can mount to the trip using the camera mount or the tripod mount on the 500mm lens so it is not a big problem for me and no reason to reduce the rating.

REVISED REVIEW!!!! In the field, the three tiny screws that fix the actual adapter pieces together came loose and my 500mm Nikkor lens dropped off and hit the ground.... end of story and lens.... if I could, would drop this rating to 1 star. Bad news.

April 2, 2012 update: I mailed the subject adapter back to Fotodiox per their instructions and at my expense. They replaced the adapter promptly upon receipt of the one returned. I checked each of the three tiny phillips-head screws with my smallest screwdriver (PH000) and each one was not loose but took an additional 1/8 turn with very little torque. I would suggest checking this frequently. For their customer service assistance, and with the screw-tightening advice I just mentioned, I am raising my rating to 2 stars as my lens is still damaged.....

5.0 out of 5 stars Well made great buy, April 14, 2012
I purchased 4 different version of this adapter for my Sony NEX-7. I have posted the same review for all 4 of them.

1- Contax- G2, The fit is great on both camera and lense side and I did not notice any IQ degradation. The focus ring initially was a bit hard to work. Partly because the ring is close to the body and there is not much room. The lense also requires some torque to move the internal parts. But after I played with it attached to the lens but off the camera it losend up. Take your time attaching the lense to the adapter not to damage the focusing mechanism. Those of you who have this lense know why. I just wanted to remind you.

2- Canon, The fit on the camera side has a bit of rotational play but dose not seems to effect the Proformance the lense side is perfect. I dont have recent canon lenses. My canon lens is very old, 70's 50 mm 1.4, no issue with the IQ. This was the first lense I ever bought. With a AT1 body.

3- Leica M39, Both side fit is great but some some color aberrations on the edges. Not sure if I can fix it in LR.

4- Nikon, The fit is great on both side. Great IQ no issues at all. I have an extensive collection of AFS and AF 2.8 and pro quality lenses as well as some kit lenses that I have collected as they came with backup cameras I purchased from time to time. So far any one that I have tried worked with out any issues.
Over all the adapters are well made and great buy. Hope this help...

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Adapter for Nikon-NEX, great price, March 23, 2012
I bought this adapter to use a few of my father's Nikon lenses with my Sony NEX-5. The lenses I've used are anywhere between 2-30 years old, vary in manufacturer between Nikon and Sigma, and all work fantastically on this adapter. The main advantage to this over other adapters is the aperture ring that allows aperture control for lenses that do not have it (newer). The build quality is fantastic and the functionality is exactly what you'd expect, but the price is so low it's almost too good to be true. I highly recommend this adapter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beware of negative reviews, January 10, 2013
This adapter works flawlessly with every Nikon mount lens I have tried on my SONY NEX-7! This includes a 35mm f2D, 50mm f1.4G, Tokina 100m macro, and a Sigma 10-20 super wide angle. I can only guess that all of my other lenses will work beautifully as well. I find it to be the perfect solution at a reasonable price for my NEX-7 and Nikon glass. The focus outlines that the NEX-7 displays on the screen make this an absolute blast to use, so the lack of an auto focus motor is no issue for me.

Some are stating (on various Fotodiox reviews) that the adapter is junk because it won't auto focus. As another reviewer stated, read the description before you buy something you know nothing about. It's common sense. This is solidly built, snaps onto my NEX with a click and works exactly as advertised. I like it so much that I have just purchased another model to use my Pentax 50mm with my NEX. Simply awesome!

3.0 out of 5 stars Fotodiox Nikkon-Sony E lens Mount Adapter, September 25, 2011
This item works well in achieving what it's advertised, which is quite a simple task. The adapter mounts on both lens an camera in order to give the required space between them. The adapter also has a tripod shoe mount which could be useful, although heavy lenses do have their own. Price is good.

What I would like to eliminate from this product is its slight amount of "play" at the lens end. AS it's right now, the lens is not entirely fixed solid on the adaptor. This however doesn't affect performance, but feels flaky in terms of quality.

Overall, this is a good way to turn the sony nex-5 into a much more creative tool.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this adapter, August 28, 2012
I purchased this adapter directly from Fotodiox. The first time using it, I discovered a light leak ruining my photos. Light was leaking in around the release lever. After contacting Fotodiox the adapter was returned on June 25th, 2012. As of today, August 28th, 2012 I have not heard anything from them. The USPS provided proof of delivery, so I know they received it. They haven't responded to multiple emails or calls. Don't buy from Fotodiox!

5.0 out of 5 stars Works exactly as advertised., December 13, 2011
The Fotodiox Nikon to Sony NEX adapter works exactly as advertised. Build quality is very good. Fit is tight with no loose play. Ability to use with G-type lenses is good, although I find it somewhat easier to use with non G-type lenses since you can set the aperture on the lens and know its exact value. Overall, a great product! I've gotten some wonderful images using legacy Nikkor AI and AIS lenses.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sony FS100 Good To go..., August 20, 2011
I tried the rainbow one did not fit ..but this one is nice and tight...if you use big lenses and use rails you should get a lens support. THe lens release you should have a black tape to cover. It has a light leak sometimes...but for this price you get a great adapter....cannot be better...

5.0 out of 5 stars Works PERFECT, October 30, 2011
This is a great adapter. Some Sony E-Mount to Nikon adapters do not have any method to allow you to adjust aperture. With the Fotodiox there is a ring that allows you to manually adjust aperture.

Now I'll be buying one for my Canon glass as well. A+ product.