Most helpful critical review
5 of 6 people found the following review helpful
Wanted to like it but fit and finish tell the story
on December 7, 2012
I have bought Fotodiox stuff before and was fully prepared for less than stellar manufacturing standards and non top quality fit and finish. Even with that in mind, this product disappointed.
* The locking mechanism seemed like it would work fine. It opened, closed and locked.
* The ring itself was fairly stiff when loosened and this I could have lived with.
* Much cheaper than the Canon OEM version - as in 1/5th the cost!
* The finish of the bottom where a plate would go was very sharp (casting?) edges.
* The design of the "topside" of the bottom (where your hand would go if carrying lens by the collar) was very sharp angular edges. All 90 degree edges instead of nice rounded and tapered edges in the original and other knock-off models. Seriously, you'd cut your hand if you carried your setup with this bracket as is often done!
* All those aforementioned hard, sharp angles. Not refined looking at all!
* The captive 1/4" female mounting hole is drilled all the way through. Really kind of tacky looking compared to the OEM and other knock-offs. The drilled through design is most certainly cheaper to manufacture and may be stronger and easier to replace if the threads stripped but I've never heard of that happening. Again, not a refined look.
Fotodiox let me down on this one. It's already back to Amazon.
Better options = Vello from B&H, IShoot models from that bay place (shipped from China) and others that are clearly closer to the original Canon model and still much cheaper.
Hope this helps,