Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Gifts Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Black Friday Video Game Deals Shop Now DOTD

on December 8, 2010
I have both this and the Opteka SB-110. There is really no comparison between the quality of the two. The only somewhat nice feature of the Opteka is the custom sized gels. In every way, the Fotodiox is superior. The quality of construction and quality of diffusion is much higher. This is a continuous piece of fabric with metallic lining to reduce light loss which will save you batteries in the long run. It comes with a zippered bag to keep the diffuser screen clean and the velcro strap is sewn to prevent misplacement. The images with direct flash have very soft lighting and natural white balance. I'm really happy with this purchase and I think you will be too. I may buy one for each of my other flashes.
on August 1, 2011
I have used this product for a couple months now. On my 480ex for portrait and macro photography with my flash on an extension cable.

I the one major pet peeve is that it's not super stiff. The bottom part often ends up folded and the light will be blocked from diffusing across the bottom half. This has driven me nuts making portraits with very uneven lighting. I figured out a solution to this problem. You take a large paperclip or something similar and slide it into the seam. There is a little gap where the flash mounts to slide a thin support in. This works pretty good to get the fold out of the bottom half, but there isn't much room for anything bigger than a paper clip, it's easy to tear the seam this way, and the large paper clip covers only 3/4 the distance of the seam.

One other issue is that it's easy to slide off, this happened to me several time while photographing a client with the flash on an extension cable.

one other minor con the it's so big when in a flash the points directly forward it cover my speedlights sensor and can cover the top of my lens. So I keep my flash angled up at 45 degrees when it's attaches and it still works great.

No inner diffuser but with the wide angle filter flipped down, correct me if I'm wrong but it doesn't matter

diffuses light well with the wide angle filter flipped down on the flash
Very mobile with the case and the ability to fold flat, I pack at least 2 large paperclips to support the lower 2 seams
Sets up fairly quick

Overall: I feel it's a good product on a budget.
If there is a better way to mount and if the seam was reinforced with some bendy metal so it won't fold while your taking pictures, I would give 5 out of 5.
One other way it could be better is if the flash sat in the diffuser lower, it wouldn't block my 430exs sensor or the top tip of my lens for that matter and I wouldn't have to angle the flush up at a 45 degree angle to use it.

I still use it often, I may end up buying a higher end one,but for the price this product is fantastic
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 6, 2011
This soft box is far better than I was expecting for it's price, to be quite honest. I was pleased with the fact that I did NOT have to put velcro on my flash to get this to stay on. It has a very firm grip and stays on the flash perfectly. It comes with a zippered bag, which I wasn't expecting. I am very pleased with the quality of the softbox!
on January 24, 2011
I bought this softbox in two different sizes; 6"x8" and 8"x12"
They're both well made and do an adequate job of softening the light from the flash unit.
The only problem I've had is securing the end of the softbox using the supplied velcro strap. If I stretch it around the flash head and secure it tightly it tends to twist the rear end of the softbox. This is not a major problem but is sometimes annoying.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 12, 2011
I bought this for my vacation to Europe to do some off camera flash photography. I didn't want to bring my big soft boxes so I thought this would make a feasible solution. Wrong! First off, the framing inside is weak and easily broke inside my bag. Secondly, the picture displayed on Amazon makes the soft box look durable and flexible; but it was flimsy and saggy. It was difficult to keep it projected towards the subject when it was on the flash. Thus, I had to make unnecessary adjustments. Lastly, it barely diffuses the light. The look was not pleasing at all! So off to Goodwill it goes.
on September 24, 2011
When I got this I went immediately to Michaels (yes the craft store) to buy me a of "SIZE 1 Aluminum Knitting Needle". Then I cut each of them to 9 inches and bent 2 inches of it to a 45 degree angle. Then I inserted it gently to the two lower "tailored edges" (for the lack of vocabulary). So now it doesn't sag anymore. I use a 16-35mm Canon lens and even with its anti-glare hood attached, I still have a clearance of about 5/8 of an inch. I shall be posting pictures soon in the product photo section.

It works well with softening of the shadows of the images that I make. Its fun to use, although it gets a lot of attention. The attachment is a very smart concept with all the "rubbery" materials in it. The fabric that encases the metal frame is not very strong and I'm expecting it to give out soon... ... and I'll figure out a way to fix it by then.

Great item for the price. You see, when you pay for a cheap item, you must expect that it comes from cheap labor and cheap materials. Some people just bitch a lot about this thing. It's just like buying a $50 point-and-shoot and expect the attribute and quality of a DSLR.

The clearance that I was talking about in the first paragraph is very important especially when you use auto flash because when the diffuser touches the lens barrel, it will block the line of sight of the "AutoFocus IR Assist Beam Emitter" (Im using canon flashes. I dont know where this is located in other models or brands)that is located at the base of the flash. So now when you block that emitter, your flash could no longer judge the correct distance from your subject and your flash will fire with the wrong output. If this is your case, you will be better off using Manual Flash.
For that reason, I discourage the use of the lens hood because it further blocks the amount of IR emission from the flash.
review image review image review image
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 11, 2011
I recently started using a flash for my photography, and I've been buying accessories every few weeks to build up my kit. I was looking at a softbox on a stand, but I was afraid my flash wouldn't line up when mounted with its wireless trigger attached. I saw this 8x12 on-flash soft box, and decided for the price I could give it a shot. 8x12 is pretty big, but luckily I can mount this on my flash on-camera, and it doesn't show even with my kit canon lens wide open at 18mm. It really helps to soften the light when using it like this, if for some reason the ceiling has a lot of angles or is really high up, this can save you from some pretty ugly shots. I really purchased this to use on my tripod when I use the flash remotely, and it works great for that too. Helps soften up fill light, and helps in the studio for softening shadows for portraits.

If you want to leave this on camera and plan on running around a lot, this may be too big for you. I'm fine with it because the bigger surface area gives better results, but sometimes it's not really practical. They do sell one a bit smaller that might be better for those situations. Overall, its a great product and I would suggest it to anyone using an external flash unit.
on September 15, 2011
This does exactly what I want, and works just as you would expect. There's just one caveat... the softbos is so large that it'll block the IR light on the front of your flash (if you have one), so this could effect AF if you're working in low-light conditions.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Despite having a good number of larger diffusers, I wanted a mini-one for macro-based shots and this Fotodiox 8x12 was the way to go.

And for its price, I have to say that this product is quite solid.

One, it comes with a small thin case and the softbox easily collapses and you can store it within seconds. Setup is just as easy (so, those with nightmares of putting together a bigger softbox, this one is so easy to use because it requires no assembly) for the 8x12 softbox.

Now, as others have mentioned...putting it on your Flash, on camera, the 8x12 may be a bit big (depending on the size of your flash) and putting the velcro strap around, while easy, just makes the softbox swing out of position easily. It's doable but its just a matter of readjusting it.

For those who want to use it for tabletop shooting or as a basic softbox as a fill life close-up, it works great...while you can attach this to your flash on your light stand/bracket, some may want to look into the low price Paul C. Buff Baby Boomer offset arm if you want a bit more flexibility. Good amount of diffusion and great for the budget photographer.

As for the construction, it's very well made and let's say you use this for outdoor shooting and somehow out of bad luck it gets thrashed or ripped...well, at least you know it's only $17 unlike other softboxes which cost a lot more and you may shed a tear for accidentally ripping or destroying one.

This is for the budget photographer who wants diffusion and a softbox but doesn't need anything big or fancy. Heck, if that is the case...then two of these may do for your main light and fill. But if you are one to buy a lot of photography toys to experiment with, for its price, you really can't go wrong. Great to experiment with, especially for outdoor, macro or just newbie strobist experimentation.

Aside from having to align it on flash, on's a pretty solid product for a great price and have no major complaints at all.
on March 14, 2011
For twenty bucks, it's hard to beat this investment in lighting-on-the-go. It's well made, attaches securely to the flash (the sewn-in strap is a nice touch), and softens the light very effectively. It's small enough to handhold without strain or awkwardness. A cheap radio trigger or some other off-camera flash triggering mechanism, a flash, and one of these things, and you have soft light for portraits and other moderate-sized subjects that you can take and shoot with you anywhere!