5.0 out of 5 stars Portable Softbox
Customer Video Review     Length:: 2:38 Mins
This is pretty much a portable softbox. Yes it will fit on a speedlight pointed forwards mounted on a DSLR and not get in the way of the lens.I use it when I need a very portable set up and using off camera flashes. It's sort of a pain to get on the flash and keep on but I use the plastic omnibounce to try and make it easier.
Published on January 21, 2012 by Jon

3.0 out of 5 stars softbox is okay
At least it was cheap. When doing extreme close-ups of faces it makes a difference, but if you are more than 2 feet away then it isn't any better than a plastic diffuser Sto-Fen Omni-Bounce OM-600 Flash Diffuser Unit.

Published on July 8, 2011 by Rick E.

5.0 out of 5 stars Portable Softbox, January 21, 2012
This review is from: Fotodiox 6"x8" Softbox for Flash, Speedlight, Nikon SB-600, SB-700, SB-800, SB-900, SB-910, Canon Speedlite 380EX, 430EX, II, 550EX, 580EX, II, 600EX-RT, Vivita Flash, Sunpack, Sunpak, Nissin, Sigma, Sony, Pentax, Olympus, Panasonic Lumix Flashes (Electronics)
Length:: 2:38 Mins

5.0 out of 5 stars Softbox well worth the money, February 21, 2011
It doesn't interfere with my flash IR sensor. It gives an even diffusion of light. Gels can be purchased and cut to size and clipped to the top of this softbox with EXCELLENT results. The gels fit in the storage pouch nicely.

It is easy to put on once you learn the secret. Here's the secret trick....put it on before attaching your external flash to your camera. The reason it's better to put on before is the Velcro strap is very snug and if your external flash swivels, it's just hard to hold the camera, flash and put it on all at the same time.

I use an off shoe flash cord and it works very well in this respect. I think this 6x8 size is just perfect for macro stock and general macro work as well as outdoors fill lighting.

You'll like it. I like it and I'm not that easy to please.

5.0 out of 5 stars For on-location photographers, vastly underrrated., October 14, 2011
Finding the perfect on-location flash modifier can be such a headache. As a wedding photographer, I struggle with this all the time. In a perfect world, I would have a trio of large softboxes on powerful 600w/s strobes available at all time, at a whim, with instantaneous setup.

Alas, I have ultimately settled on speedlites for most of my wedding work. Larger softboxes for speedlites are a pain due to the fragility and complication of setup. Umbrellas work reasonably well, though they require an adapter for the stand, and can cause the light stand to blow over fairly easily with only a minor gust of wind.

What benefit does this softbox have for me?
- 10 second setup. Slide it over the head of your flash and strap it down. Accommodates various size flashes too.
- Almost instant break down time.
- Folds down flat. Will fit in many camera bags with no problem.
- Has no fragile parts to crush or break. No need to worry about throwing it in your bag. It won't break easily.
- Increases the size of the light source by a factor of 10 or so for most flashes.

So yes, it's cheap, it works well, and aside from its' modest size has no real downsides. It's not perfect, but in a pinch it can't be beat for the price. Be sure to flip the front diffuser on your flash down when you use this. That will help spread out the beam and fully utilize the front surface area of the softbox.

Overall a great product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't beat the value of this little guy, November 3, 2010
I have always been one that goes for the more expensive equipment when possible but honestly, this little softbox did just as good as my other one that cost twice as much. I shoot weddings and use this to help light my subjects on the fly during the reception by holding it in one hand and shooting with the other on the dance floor. It's well built and can be tossed into any bag of gear without any concern that it will be destroyed. I highly recommend purchasing this one first to see if it meets your needs before investing in something that will cost twice as much. I was able to use the money I saved towardsnbuying more light modifiers.

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprise... it's pretty good., November 30, 2010
DaveD (Philly Burbs) - See all my reviews
After looking thru a ton of these things I decided to give the Fotodiox 6"x8" a shot... I figured at this price I'm not going to be in turmoil if it's not so great. I was pleasantly surprised! First, packing this could not be easier. It folds flat, has a little pouch to keep it clean, and since it's fabric not vinyl, it seems like it will hold up being folded repeatedly.
I have Nikon SB-800's and this fit right on with little fuss. The INCLUDED velcro strap worked well. No need to buy a kit to attach this to your speedlight. For it's size and price you can't expect miracles... this won't replace your 48" softbox. It will however give you a nice product at a very reasonable price. It's a good way to add a cheap, portable solution to create a somewhat softer light for off or on camera strobes.
Again, at this price, you can't beat it or complain if it doesnt last forever. I'm buying a second one.

3.0 out of 5 stars softbox is okay, July 8, 2011

If you want to put the flash down all the way, meaning pointing directly ahead, you have to left the bottom part of the cover hang down out of the Velcro and then it blocks the IR assist on the flash.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected diffusion, August 18, 2011
I wasn't expecting much from something this size so when I put them to use I was pleasantly surprised. They offer pretty good diffusion for a compact unit. What I like best is that it is directional but wide enough to offer creative lighting backgrounds for uplighting mounted to slaves on the ground. I'm planning on purchasing the larger version now that I have tested this size. The only complaint I have is using the built in velcro it comes with on my 440 EX. The mounting flange is larger to accommodate larger flash heads. This leaves the panels baggy and twisted. If there were 2 small velcro straps that met in the middle instead of one long one this would not be an issue. Hopefully they read these reviews and will consider this easy production change. I like the handy travel bag they come in. I gave it 4 stars in each category. They would have 5 stars if it were made with the 2 pieces of velcro starting at 11:59 o'clock and meeting at 6 o'clock, then 12:01 to 6 o'clock starting from the front to the back or top to bottom. They would look better, fit better which would make them look like polished units. I've owned other brands but none worked as well as these. I'd recommend them. I'm a professional photographer working everyday in different locations. For other pros this is something that is a quick tool for weddings and other travel oriented shoots. It is not a replacement for a real softbox or umbrella.
Update, one reviewer mentioned the velcro inside of the diffuser. It is supposed to be there. Directly across from that velcro is a cloth like diffuser strap that is not mentioned anywhere on the site description or in the documentation. This white strip has other end of the velcro. It is hidden inside the diffuser. It is designed to attach to the other side and be the first stage of diffusion and directly covers the clear part of your flashhead. It really makes more sense than just firing directly into the 6x8 cloth. I just figured this out when I opened my larger 8x12 diffuser. I have also posted some pics to show the cloth strip and the dimensions of the 6x8 and 8x12.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very clever portable light soft box, November 15, 2011
I am super impressed with this little light soft box.

Pros:

- Easy to carry around. Folds flat and comes with a carrying case
- Easy to install on my flash (I have a Canon 580EX)
- Easy to remove from my flash
- Does not want to fall off.
- Works as intended
- Incredible value.

Cons:

It's not free? There really aren't any.

The first day I used my new camera I had the soft box attached to my flash; we were doing Karaoke on Halloween, and the ladies decided to dress up. The room was very dark with only light from the tv. I took several hundred shots that night; not one turned out too dark. None of them looked like a "flash shot". And no one complained about being blinded by the flash even though I was constantly taking pictures. I am just super impressed with how much this inexpensive little device improves my flash photography.

Please note I am not a professional photographer, just an enthusiastic amateur.

5.0 out of 5 stars Serious Value for the money, June 26, 2012
I've used several diffusers over the years and while this may not last as long as the others, it's been the easiest to use, store, and put on. I've got a Gary Fong type diffuser that is good and durable but not easy to carry with me. It's takes up quite a bit of space. This unit folds up and stores away. It's easy to put on any type of speedlight that is popular (Nikon or Canon - which is nice in a multi-platform family).

The light dispersion is very nice and breaks very well across a number of subjects. Portraits look very good and more akin to a true softbox as opposed to a typical diffuser.

In my opinion, this is probably the best speedlight diffuser for under $50. While it may feel a bit cheap it will certainly do the job, most likely for a long time to come (the materials are rather strong).

Update:
I recently shot two weddings back to back and shot around 1000 exposures with it. I'm really in love with this thing. Oh and it does't look like you've got tupperware attached to your speedlight.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best diffuse lighting for its size - a little awkward to put on, July 19, 2012
Derrick Coetzee (Berkeley, CA, USA) - See all my reviews
I did a comparison of this item versus the Stofen Omni-Bounce unit for the SB600 OM-600 flash diffuser and the first-generation Gary Fong Lightsphere (circa 2009). After compensating for brightness and white balance differences, shadows were far softer than with the OM-600, half a stop more light was transmitted than with the Lightsphere (only 0.05 stops less than the OM-600!), and it did not introduce nearly as much warm white balance as the white plastic of the OM-600 and Lightsphere (4550K vs. 4700K for direct flash, 4100 for Lightsphere, 4050 for OM-600). Shadows were noticeably softer and lighting more uniform than with the Lightsphere - this was more subtle but definitely visible at screen resolution. In terms of output, it's a winner in every category.

In its collapsed form it fits nicely into my camera bag snugged up against my 70-200mm in its long pouch - anything bigger would not have fit at all. Unlike the original Lightsphere, which consisted of two plastic pieces and a separate strap, the Fotodiox is one monolithic piece with the strap sewn on so you can't lose it. The OM-600 has the advantage of simply sliding on and it's done; with both the Fotodiox and Lightsphere you have to wrap a strap around the flash to attach it, and with the collapsed Fotodiox you also have to expand it first. The attachment is quite secure during movement and rotation and does not cover the flash controls. I've also used it off-camera wirelessly successfully - it stays on and does not prevent wireless activation. I can hold it in one hand while shooting with the other, and use the built-in flash on the D800 as a second light source.

In dark environments where the SB600's autofocus lamp is needed, the Fotodiox needs to be rotated up during focusing, just like the Lightsphere, whereas the OM-600 does not cover it.

In short: this is the best diffuser of its size that I've tried if even, diffuse lighting with soft shadows is what you want. However, it takes a bit longer to put on than alternatives, and is too large to leave on all the time unlike the OM-600 - so it's not good for sudden, impulsive shots.

Rate and Discover Movies