Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on April 15, 2011
This is Ok for small reflectors, but I bought this to hold a large reflector and it just won't work. I thought this had the option to do a vertical mount, but the way it's designed it can only hold the reflector horizontally from the side. Plus the sliding arm has no locking mechanism, it only stays in place by gravity. All this makes it very unstable and ineffective for large reflectors. I returned this and ended up buying the Westscott background support stand. It's more expensive, but it will hold reflectors vertically and is much more sturdy.
on November 1, 2012
I received the Fotodiox Telescoping Reflector Holding Arm today. Free shipping because I chose the Super Saver Shipping thingie (ordered on 10/25 and it was here on 11/1 via UPS). Anyhow, it's a decent product and well made. I know some have complained about it not holding the arm, or not being able to mount on a light stand. Sorry to hear that. I didn't encounter that problem at all - likely because I've used these types of clamps/arms before in another life :-) Anyhow, I uploaded some photos of the methods I used to secure the clamp and the arm. They probably tell the story better than I (even though the pics are pretty poor quality). Also, I'm using the telescoping arm, light stand, and "Steady Bag" (you can use any type of sandbag) as a microphone boom. It works! And that's what I had in mind when I ordered it. Great price for a poor man's mic boom.
review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image
55 comments| 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 16, 2011
After trying out 2 other name-brand and more expensive telescopic arms, I winded up settling with this one. My first Arm although well built, could only handle reflectors 25" or greater. I often like to use the 22" X 30 foam board reflectors that you can purchase at any art stores instead of the collapsible ones so this Arm would not do. My second brand-name $40 telescopic Arm could handle 22" reflectors, but the plastic clips could not hold the 22" foam boards.

When I saw this Arm on Amazon, I figured why not, for only $17.95 the price was certainly reasonable. I wasn't expecting much, but was pleasantly surprised when I finally got it and set it up. The Arm came without any instructions, but I didn't really need them since it was pretty easy to figure out.

The first thing I noticed was that unlike the other 2 reflectors, you could adjust the clips on the Arm. Meaning you could slide the clips up and down the arm until you found the right length, then tighten. This allows you to use reflectors even smaller than 22" in width. Not only that, the Arm itself was adjustable. You can slide the "lower Arm" up and down on the grip which is allot more flexible than on the other Arms I tried. The clips are pretty sturdy too and can handle both foam board and collapsible reflectors. The down side is that there is allot of plastic on this thing. Unlike the other 2 reflectors the part that screws on the light-stand is plastic not metal. Nevertheless, it was able to hold 22" and 42" foam board reflectors with no problems. According to the spec this Arm can extend up to 60", but I'm a little scetical it could hold foam board that size. In any case, for the money this Arm is a very good value, so good I'm thinking about getting another one.

** update ** I replaced the plastic grip that came with this unit, with a Calumet metal grip($25) and now I can take this Arm outdoors under not-so-friendly circumstances. With the Calumet Grip this is the best consumer grade grip on the market IMHO.
on April 27, 2012
The "Non-Slip Grip Rotating Head" that is supposed to hold this bar in place is not only the wrong size for most light stands, although I do have a large one that it fits (granted, this should in no way require a heavy duty stand). The problem is that it was assembled incorrectly and required that I replace the outside of one of the clamps with the other before it could adjust to the proper width to clamp the arm itself.
on April 27, 2012
I really wanted to like this item; it seemed like a great solution since I already have stands lying around. The problem is that the holes on the joint (where you are supposed to slide the stand & arm poles through) are too wide; this results in you not being able to tighten the arms to hold your reflector in place. The arm holding my reflector easily slides off the joint even after I have tightened it all the way. Does not fit standard sized stands, I will be returning.
on June 6, 2012
This product does not work AT ALL. It does not fit any of the three brands of stands I have. The construction is ridiculously poor. The holes on this product are square and as any photographer knows, the universal stands are round. Do NOT buy this product. If I could rate it zero stars I would.
on May 25, 2012
The Holes are too big to fit the arm that it ships with!! And also doesn't fit well on my light stand.
The biggest problem is that the screw is too small so when trying to fit it on my stand, everything falls apart.... Really annoying and extremely bad design.
Returning.

I don't even understand how come some people seem to like it and wonder if they have changed the design at some point because mine is useless, unless you want to spend a few hours struggling with it and finding a way to make it work.
on March 6, 2012
I had to find a youtube video in order to figure out how to put it together. Then I discovered that the light stand I was originally trying to set it up on was too narrow (skinny) to properly hold the arm. I got the arm set up on my other stand and then the reflector on the arm.
Con: It doesn't seem to be as easily adjustable as I thought it would be, you have to loosen, shift the arm, tighten, see if it's what you want, lossen, shift, tighten.....Etc. It's better than not having anyone/thing to hold the reflector for you.
Pro: shipped quick, good low price for a beginner like me who's also on a budget.
on May 25, 2012
Well, I had hoped for the best. Unfortunately, you get what you pay for I suppose. I haven't even tried this on one of my stands yet. I don't think I have to. As it sits now, I see that the clamp that holds the arm to the stand has holes that are too big (WAY too big) to even hold the arm in place. I suppose it is going to have to sit in the holes and I will hope that it doesn't ever slip out? This is by far one of the stupidest designs that I have run into in photographic equipment yet. I would say save your money and put it towards a product that at least works to some degree.

Also, there are no instructions whatsoever in the box.

Total disappointment.

edit: Tried it on my light stands and it didn't come close to fitting. I think it would fit on a heavier stand but the fact that the arm they supply doesn't even fit into it's own holder made this my first ever Amazon returned item. Buyer beware.
on April 13, 2012
Don't know why someone thought you can't use the grip horizontally. The grip does work. You just need to try it a different way. Nothing wrong with plastic. It's lightweight and if you're using it outside, use weights on the stands. All-around great product!