Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

Format: Mass Market PaperbackChange

This is one of Janet Evanovich's early pre-Plum romances, and it's an enjoyable, sexy romp. Amy Klasse, who has been playing a clown named Lulu on her own TV show for children, is suddenly fired because the new station manager thinks that a show about a dancing rooster would do better in that time slot. Jake Elliott is the local much-beloved veterinarian, who also just happens to be very handsome and sexy. He sees Amy in a grocery store, and for him, it's love at first sight. He begins a stealthy campaign to get her to the altar. Of course, romance never proceeds smoothly and the upstart rooster goes missing and Amy is accused of being his kidnapper and worse. The scenes are funny, the dialogue is witty, and the characters are realistic and lovable. This is definitely a book worth finding.
0Comment48 of 49 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 23, 2008
I was loving this quirky book until close to the end. It was witty, funny and made me laugh out loud. The characters are fun and the thought of a clown losing her job to a chicken is absurdly hilarious! All was going well and I was enjoying the book (probably would have given it a 4 star rating) until the end. The last couple of chapters really didn't fit well. Spoiler Alert**** If the rooster deal was enough to drive Amy away, why did Jake not tell her what really happened in the end? A weather girl - no way! The ending felt too rushed and out of sync with the rest of the book. Wish Evanovich could go back and end this one properly. If I knew the ending was going to be so bad, I would not have read the book and I am a HUGE Evanovich fan!
22 comments14 of 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 28, 2010
Although this is one of her first group of books I enjoyed the story line and once again thing she is a fantastic writer. Waiting for her book that she andh er husband have coming out soon.
on November 22, 2008
Another great story by Janet. I really enjoyed the CD and had to listen till the very end. Maybe I'm a hopeless romantic! :)
on June 25, 2009
I love Janet Evanovich - especially her Stephanie Plum series (they are hilarious and well worth the read)...but this one is way below par for her. I actually found it rather silly. Not a true picture of the writing this author is best known for.
on February 6, 2010
l really really love all of janet evanovich books and this one was amazing just like the rest keep them coming. she definitely is writing to slow
on July 14, 2009
I received the book within a timely manner and enjoyed it immensely. Janet Evanovich is a brilliant author who keeps me coming back and anxiously awaiting her next. I especially LOVE her Stephanie Plum series. They have me laughing, crying, anxious, awaiting to see what's going to happen to her!
I think it's great to be able to get the books from online purchase for such a low price, but I have also found just scouting the used book stores I have been able to get them for less because the $3.99 shipping fee on each book is what makes the purchase not very often.
Deborah Schlotterbeck
on March 29, 2009
Janet Evanovich is one of my favorite authors. This book was a very quick read and pretty funny, but it doesn't have the same feel as her later books. It seemed rushed at the end. If you are looking for something fun to read, try her Stephanie Plum books! They are laugh out loud funny!
on November 26, 2008
when I was shooping for kindel books I came across this older Janet Evanovich book. I didn't realize she had written under a different name. The book is a light easy read and very entertaining.
on August 30, 2012
I chose this book because it was written by Janet Evanovitch and I love her Stephanie Plum series. This, folks, ain't no Plum! This was an early Evanovitch and it clearly shows (I believe it was originally written under another name). The book doesn't have the hallmarks of her masterful writing skill, but it was still a fun read. I found it inspiring, as an author, that great writers can show such growth and not come out of the womb a master author!

The plot is rather convoluted: Amy loves her job working in children's TV and is crushed when her show is replaced by a fortune-telling chicken. Jake runs into Amy at the grocery story and is immediately smitten. Before he even realizes what he's done, he's invited himself over to her house, paid for her grocery bill and given her another job! The chicken comes to Jake's vet practice and is then chicken-napped. Naturally, everyone suspects Amy and it's up to the two love birds to clear her name.

The book was clearly a mixture of romance (mostly) with a little bit of mystery (very little) and a huge helping of pure silliness. It was funny and fluffy and a good beach read because it didn't really require too much work or attention. A cotton candy read!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse