4.0 out of 5 stars The secret to using the Index
Published on July 17, 2008 by Joshua A. Tenpenny

1.0 out of 5 stars Buy "Foundations" AFTER you have graduated-- if ever.
Published on December 5, 2012 by Amazon Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars The secret to using the Index, July 17, 2008
Joshua A. Tenpenny (Central Massachusetts) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Foundations of Chinese Medicine: A Comprehensive Text for Acupuncturists and Herbalists. Second Edition (Hardcover)
The index of this book is inaccurate, starting at page 417 or some point in that previous section. From page 417 to the end of the book the actual page numbers are four less than the ones listed in the index. For example, if you look at the index listing "Transporting (Shu) Points 787-802", the section on Shu points is actually 783-798. Before page 417, the page numbers are accurate.

So if you look something up in the index and it doesn't seem to be on the indicated page, don't despair. Flip two pages back and you'll probably find it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Everything but the index, January 30, 2007
As a matter of presentation, description, and explanation, this book is near unmatched. When the revision of this edition comes out, if you have any desire to explore and develop your understanding of TCM, you will have to get it. But wait until they repair the index. It is the lousiest, most absurd index I've ever seen. I work as a Teacher's Assistant for an Asian Bodywork Therapy class, so I get a lot of questions from students, and this text has everything you would ever want to look up, if only you happen to be so lucky that the index and the actual material you're looking for match up. So, like I said, everything about this book but the index is fantastic. The index is so bad, though, the book deserves a recall. Wait until that happens, or pour through the pages with unmatched patience, and make your own index.

1.0 out of 5 stars Buy "Foundations" AFTER you have graduated-- if ever., December 5, 2012
Acupuncturists and acupuncture students alike seem to either love or hate G Maciocia. My Beijing teachers fell in the latter camp, as do I. We were never introduced to Nigel Wiseman (e.g., Fundamentals of Chinese Acupuncture (Paradigm title)) at my Los Angeles school, and I suspect my initiation into Chinese medical might have been less maddening had we not been distracted my Maciocia's wordiness and gift for needlessly complicating just about everything.

I have not found the book at all helpful, and I am soon to finish my Chinese medicine program. I greatly regret having been suckered into buying it during my first quarter of school.

Alumni/ae "out in the field" report that they do refer to Maciocia's Diagnosis in Chinese Medicine: A Comprehensive Guide book (and my Ob-Gyn prof likes his Obstetrics and Gynecology in Chinese Medicine, 2e-- but still seems to prefer Jane Lyttleton's Treatment of Infertility with Chinese Medicine, 1e) in their daily practice, but again there are many (or at least several) very good (English language) diagnosis texts (Clinical Handbook of Internal Medicine, The Treatment of Disease in Tcm: Diseases of the Eyes, Ears, Nose and, for example) that, for my money, make Maciocia seem like an over-reaching arriviste.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clarity and insight that is all too rare in an unusual and challenging topic., October 24, 2005
The sheer depth and breadth of the clarity and insight about Traditional Chinese Medicine that comes through this book with such ease for a reader is a wonder. Strong praise, yes; but all too often these subjects are obscure...and even good books usually only *start* to give people new to the subject insight as well as good, foundational knowledge.

Don't be put off by the size of the book or it's price - in this case, it's well worth it.

This book makes it easy to understand paradigms that are new and unusual to most westerners, with greater depth than is usually found -- in addition to providing LOTS of foundation and background knowledge.

I highly recommend this book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Giovanni Maciocia is confused, September 10, 2009
I grew up with Eastern medicine, and have studied Taoist classics in depth for over a decade. Maciocia tries to substantiate his understanding with excerpts from various classics that had radically different perspectives and paradigms, making this book inconsistent and incoherent. His repetition of the same ideas over and over does not make his incorrect and shallow understanding of TCM correct or deep; it's just mind numbing. The material of the whole book could have been covered within a hundred pages or so without losing any information that is of any value instead of spreading it out over a thousand pages. This is a bad textbook for TCM students who want to seriously study Eastern medicine.

4.0 out of 5 stars Leave all TCM foundation texts and stick with this book., March 9, 2010
I have to admit that I read many textbooks about foundation of Traditional Chinese Medicine both written by foreigners and translated from the Chinese Text but this book of Giovanni is far better. Firstly, it is COMPLETE in content of TCM principle, whatever in the TCM knowledge you will see it here. It also explains in detail of the certain aspect that other text doesn't offer.

Secondly, in this book of Giovanni has pictures illustrate the type of the patient with different pathogenic evil which I love this feature because it visualizes those who study.

Thirdly, there are Tips for each diagnosis type so it helps and makes diagnosis easier for practicing.

Fourthly, what I found in the other text particularly in the Chinese or from the Chinese version they are more narrative and ambiguous, you may feel like you are reading a novel or something so philosophical, ending up with nothing in the head but confusion. This text, instead, is written in the way of standard western textbook, there are charts, tables, pictures and illustrations. The content therefore are written in better explanation and concise, this is what people like you and me are familiar with.

Lastly, you will learn something else in the book from Giovanni's practice experience. There is no perfect textbook in the world that makes you know Everything, practice makes you perfect. How grateful we are that he shares his knowledge and experience from his clinical practice in China to the readers. It gives us a shortcut. I feel we are like his student and he is our teacher.

In a nutshell this book includes TCM foundation, theory, the discussion of meridians, pathogenic evil, pulse and tongue diagnosis, herb formula, acupoint for treatment. What I found about acupoint chapter is that it doesn't tell the point location, it tells only the function. However this is not a big deal since TCM practitioner needs to have special exclusive textbook of acupuncture, we also need exclusive diagnosis and herb formular textbook, other than this, this book is comprehensive and perfectly suite with the TCM practitioner and those who are interested in TCM. I have to say again that I have to leave all those foundation books I bought before on the shelf and just stick with this book. I'd rather give 5 stars but the lack of point location I rate it 4, ..a big.. big.. 4

3.0 out of 5 stars Giovanni, Giovanni, Giovanni, May 28, 2007
satire28 (California, USA) - See all my reviews
The reason why I gave it three stars is mainly due to two factors: The over saturation of required Chinese medical texts with Giovanni's books, and two, this book seems like at times, it could use some condensing and editing. With that said, though, I have found this book to be helpful to me when learning symptoms and organ patterns, and it is pretty user friendly.

2.0 out of 5 stars Some good, some bad- definitely needs work, November 14, 2013
G. Livingston (san francisco, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I am a Doctor of Chinese Medicine with twenty years of experience, including over ten years in China, and am one of the only westerners to have earned a Chinese Medicine PhD in China (done entirely in Chinese) and to be licensed to practice Chinese Medicine in China. I've also been teaching for nearly ten years, and have taught Chinese Medicine at universities in China, and for the last year at a Chinese Medicine college in the US, where this textbook is a required text for the various licensing exams, and therefore a required text in several classes that I teach- namely Chinese Medicine Theory and Chinese Medicine Diagnostics. Therefore, I believe I have the expertise and experience to make a meaningful assessment and critique of this book.

While "Foundations" does contain much useful information, there are errors throughout, both textual and diagramatic, some from the author himself and some that appear to be typographical and likely the fault of the publisher. The layout is also shockingly poor and creates readability issues.

These problems create difficulties for both students and their professors, and for such an [exorbitant] price I believe it is reasonable to ask that a serious re-editing of the book be undertaken.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clearly written, January 19, 2013
I am so glad I finally got brave enough to purchase this extraordinary book.
I am not a practitioner or student of Chinese medicine, only a very curious
layperson wanting to learn more about this wonderful system of medicine. The
author's writing is so clear and easy to understand. I highly recommend this
book because it is so is very empowering and inspiring.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Highly Recommed This Book, February 20, 2006
I found this book to be very beneficial to me in my studies to become an acupuncturist and oriental medcine practioner. Giovanni MacIocias' book has long been considered THE standard text book for anyone involved in the modality of Oriental Theory and Medicine.

This book is definately not for the beginner, it is a very in depth well detailed study of a Centuries old art.

I gave it 5 out of 5 stars becuase it has become invaluable to me in my studies...you will not be dissapointed with this book. If you want the BEST, this is it.This book is meant to be read over a lifetime and referred to again and again, it is not a leisurely read.

Chris

$169.99 $161.49
Temporarily out of stock. Order now and we'll deliver when available.