Industrial Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon David Bowie egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Movember Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals BestoftheYear Outdoor Deals on HTL

Format: PaperbackChange

VINE VOICEon April 15, 2005
I got asked to teach chemistry very spur of the moment at our local community college. First class was a chemistry lab, for which I didn't need a chemistry book. Then two weeks later they asked me to take a chemistry class for nursing majors and handed me this absolutely awful textbook. Not only was it not well-written, the set-up for the chapters was screwy, and both the students and I found numerous mistakes in the problems and I found more on the CD-rom they gave me for testing. Geez...proofreaders needed badly!

I asked around the campus from the other chemistry professors and this book was the one most highly recommended. I could not ask the students to purchase a new book in the middle of the semester, but I can assure you I am using this book to double-check and back-up everything in the other chemistry book.

As a deaf person who is perfectly capable of teaching hearing students, and someone who has done a lot of research into learning per se...I find it a bit ludicrous that textbook writers don't seem to understand some very basic concepts. Number 1, it's been shown that deaf students do much better with visual input of any kind (not text, pictures, graphs, photos, etc.). It's also been found that hearing students do much better when given that same visual information, rather than merely lecture or text. Now why would that be any different for older students? My students in both classrooms prefer to have visual representations of what they are being taught. That's one great thing about this book...lots of great pictures. And what they don't have, I can certainly find on the Internet.

For example, the other textbook talked in text about nicotine. It wasn't very interesting. So I went and got more info about nicotine as a chemical off of the Internet, including very gross pictures of what nicotine does to the lungs. That certainly got the attention of these students who are going into nursing or other medical endeavors. I also told them about there being two types of receptors in neurons (my specialty); nicotinic and muscarinic, and explained what hitting the nicotinic receptors constantly with smoking or second-hand smoke would do.

The sciences do not exist in a vaccuum. Chemistry applies to almost all other sciences, and chemistry does not need to be boring. This book by Hein and Arena is certainly not boring, and a much better book than the one I was originally given. I have been asked back to teach again, and this will be the book I recommend.

Karen Sadler

Science Education
on October 27, 2009
I tutored my sister in Chemistry with this book. I was able to easily understand the examples and show her how to solve the problems better than the really old book I had from 10 years ago. Nice!
on March 28, 2006
If you are looking at a text book then it is one of those books which you can refer to during your high school days. But I felt that it could have been more elaborate which the description claims as no nonsense and direct approach. I think myself to be a dummy in chemistry so for a dummy embellishments and elaborations help. But the price is low and it helps.