‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Can I Take it to the Bridge? Simply the Best!, October 14, 2000
This review is from: Foundations Of Funk: A Brand New Bag: 1964-1969 (Audio CD)
Whoaaaa! If this doesn't get you moving...well, funk and soul are not your thang. This is the real thang, from one of the top two or three individuals performers in all of rock/funk/soul music, "Mr. Dynamite, The Man with the Crown, Soul Brother No. 1, The Original Brother Rapp., the Amazing Mr. Please Please Please Himself, JAAAAAAAMES BROWWWWWWWWNNN" (from the liner notes)." You'll hear some of his all-time great performances, mostly live and non-stop; all of it excellently recorded and remastered material. Close your eyes and you can easily picture James slipping and sliding, working himself and exhorting the band and audience; it's an emotional, visceral performance, you can almost feel the sweat rolling off when you experience this. I think it's as exciting as the famed "Live at the Apollo" CD, maybe more so.
The personnel is outstanding and, again, recorded exceptionally well. While I expected the tight horn section, I was surprised by the brilliant solo performances, often by the well known Maceo Parker. Aside from the dynamism of the music itself, you can discover the band's progression into deeper and deeper expressions of funk, with now-familiar guitar riffs, funk drumming, and strong bass lines. Absolutely essential for anyone interested in the roots of funk. Personnel and recording dates for every recording here, photos, and excellent, intelligent liner notes by Harry Weinger with Alan Leeds Electrifying!!!! Do yourself a huge favor and get this outstanding compilation from the incomparable JB!

5.0 out of 5 stars Foundational Compilation!, March 10, 2000
This review is from: Foundations Of Funk: A Brand New Bag: 1964-1969 (Audio CD)
This 2-CD set is the perfect companion to the STAR-TIME anthology: it digs deeper into the vaults and yields some of the significant sounds in music history, i.e. 2 prev. unrel. tunes from the 01-67 Latin Casino shows; an almost completely diff. vers. of "Cold Sweat"; full-length takes of "I Don't Want Nobody..", the live "Mother Popcorn"; "Let A Man..." and the super classic "I Got The Feelin'". Thank you Polydor/Chronicles.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wise investment, February 25, 2006
This review is from: Foundations Of Funk: A Brand New Bag: 1964-1969 (Audio CD)
Ever pay for a James Brown album and within five minutes of getting it out of the wrapper you realized you were had? Ever heard James accompanied by a Casio keyboard recorded in a broom closet? Must be bad needing a quick album release to satisy some recording contract agreement James made to get a few bucks.

Well this is NOT one of THOSE.

This is simply a fabulous collection of greatest recording. It demonstrates why James was considered a genius. And his band was so powerful they could blow down walls. And make you dance, Man. And smile. And get funky RIGHT NOW.

A must for your next soul funk dance party. Put it on and EVERYBODY will get up off a that thing and bust a move. I guarantee it.

5.0 out of 5 stars This s*@t makes quadriplegics dance the mashed potato!!!, July 30, 2005
This review is from: Foundations Of Funk: A Brand New Bag: 1964-1969 (Audio CD)
If you have only heard a greatest hits package or the same two or three songs on oldies radio, quit reading this and get your @ss to the cd store or just click the order button right now. This cd sounds like someone squeezed the jb lemon to extract only the sourest juice! Damn. I threw on this cd. Then I put some popcorn in the microwave. Bad idea. My microwave started doin' the "James Brown." Next thing I knew there was an explosion of funk all over the joint y'all!!! Even the damned dog broke out in a cold sweat when he heard this cd. I didn't even know he COULD sweat! Guess I got me a funky Jack Russell that needs a bath now.

I didn't even know that some of these songs were available with extended jams tacked on the end like that. And the live grooves will make the laser in your cd player burn a hole through the roof.

5.0 out of 5 stars Catalogues the start of funk-definitely turns it loose!, November 1, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Foundations Of Funk: A Brand New Bag: 1964-1969 (Audio CD)
For fans wanting a more in depth view of early JB funk, then this is it. Less polished songs than his early 70's funk, but that's what makes it so good. The raw power is astonishing-check out the drum solo towards the end of 'Can't Stand Your Love' (I think it's called that-he has a couple of different versions). We are talking fierce! Doesn't get much better than this, except for all his other recordings when he was undoubtedly the Godfather! Buy this and you'll spend a whole lot more money on Soul Brother No. 1.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Legendary JB and the Incomparable Maceo Parker, It Doesn't Get Any Better Than This, February 22, 2006
This review is from: Foundations Of Funk: A Brand New Bag: 1964-1969 (Audio CD)
Best James Brown CD that I've heard, extended recordings of everything, which gives his legendary band (featuring the incomparable Maceo Parker and Clyde Stubblefield) a chance to shine.

5.0 out of 5 stars ABSOLUTELY INDISPENSIBLE, November 1, 1999
This review is from: Foundations Of Funk: A Brand New Bag: 1964-1969 (Audio CD)
Even if you have only a passing interest in funk, R&B, and/or soul music, you owe it to yourself to buy this set. JAMES BROWN is THE man when it comes to unstoppable rythmic grooves. Many of the tracks found on these two CDS reach truly epic proportion. This is truly the best of mid-to-late '60s JB, with most of his major hits included (often in their FULL, unadulterated versions) and then some.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE ROOT OF IT ALL!..., December 18, 2002
This review is from: Foundations Of Funk: A Brand New Bag: 1964-1969 (Audio CD)
This is definitely a must-have, and a special treat to us JB fans
with a few alternate mixes and the extra-informative liner notes.
Take a dose of this, if this doesn't help, jump into the Big Payback 2 disc set(1971-1975) maybe that will do the trick.

5.0 out of 5 stars music, February 15, 2009
Lisa Gregory (santa monica,ca) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Foundations Of Funk: A Brand New Bag: 1964-1969 (Audio CD)
this is a great cd.. I bought it for songs that I previously couldn't find on cd. Songs like "I can't stand myself when you touch me" and There was a time". Both disks have most of his early hits on it plus the two favorites that I mentioned. If I could recommend a James Browns greatest hits worthy of its title, this would be the album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top of the Line Recording, June 26, 2014
This review is from: Foundations Of Funk: A Brand New Bag: 1964-1969 (Audio CD)
I heard strains of this CD in a local bookstore and nearly fainted. James Brown is probably my favorite entertainer and I thought I had heard every recording he ever did. But I had not yet heard THIS masterpiece! I immediately asked the book store owner the name of this gem. I could not stop moving--James had me on the good foot and was taking me to church! I'm definitely ordering this rare diamond for my collection--this is definitely a "must have" for any James Brown fan!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›