5.0 out of 5 stars Shorty
Published on January 10, 2012 by JMKHLMNOP

3.0 out of 5 stars I expected more
With all the times and things he talks about his past in the show, I expected more.. I've never heard of a 10 yr. prison sentence so easy.. Family times weren't as bad as he led you to believe, or untold.
Published 5 months ago by lovin

5.0 out of 5 stars Shorty, January 10, 2012
This review is from: Four Feet Tall and Rising: A Memoir (Hardcover)
I have worked in animal rescue for over ten years now. From this man's vantage-point I have to presume he spent his entire life fighting. What I admire and respect about this man is that his fight isn't just for him but for the greater good. He has brought more awareness to the plight of and discrimination against a breed of dog that is unjust and discriminatory; awareness that would not exist were it not for him, his show, this story.

I have never been more anxious to consume a book and learn more about a man whom I respect and admire.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pit Boss tells ALL, January 10, 2012
I couldnt put it down..
if you ever had a question about Shorty Rossi the PIT BOSS.. its all here, AND THEN SOME!..
Great story telling, honest read..
fighting adversity for pitbulls BSL and little people alike.. Shorty has left his mark on both, and will go down in history for his efforts (even if he is an ass about it )
The struggle of life, for dreams and equality. This is Shortys best effort in educating people about Pit bulls, the horrifying ways they are treated, and how we can help stop the pit bull ban and BSL laws.
The love Shorty has for his dogs is amazing, and through that, it fuels him to go nonstop in effort for change.
its a MUST read..
a newfound admiration and respect for the foul mouthed ex-con :) . 10 stars **********

5.0 out of 5 stars Dream and Achieve, January 11, 2012
This review is from: Four Feet Tall and Rising: A Memoir (Hardcover)
If your an animal lover, Pit Boss fan,or believe in rooting for the underdog...... then Four Feet Tall and Rising is the book you need to read! The only thing I found wrong with it, is that it was too short.. I could of read another 100 pages. Shorty certainly did not wear any rose colored glasses when the book was wrote... he does not sugar coat his childhood or any other part of his life, or the lives of his best friends (his pit bulls). I found his honesty to be very eye opening and humbling. I also found myself rooting for the "underdog" and turning page after page to find out what good (or bad) was coming his way...... as I felt that I was believing in his dreams as much as he has (does)!! Four Feet Tall and Rising makes you realize how racism and discrimination affects the people and dogs that are targeted by it. This is a bestseller!! Cannot wait for the sequel........ Four Feet Tall and Soaring!! (Just a thought)

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, raw, and gripping, January 13, 2012
This review is from: Four Feet Tall and Rising: A Memoir (Hardcover)
Four Feet Tall and Rising is one of the most fascinating works of nonfiction I've read in my life. Shorty Rossi is one of the most intriguing men of our era, and this memoir is nothing short of phenomenal. Why? Because it's completely and unflinchingly truthful.

From the first page, which is especially dear to me, Shorty opens up about his appreciation for swearing. I am a lover of words who shares this attachment to vulgar language, and so this announcement hooked me right from the start. But on a deeper level, Shorty's introduction fairly warns readers that he has never, and will never, sugarcoat anything. He is a man of blatant honesty and never apologizes for being so. As well he shouldn't. In American society, especially in Los Angeles where Shorty works, people are flimsier than paper and will tell you anything for a buck. That's why this memoir was so endearing to me, because he shares the ugly truth no matter how much people may like him to pretty it up.

Reading about his years spent behind bars were absolutely fascinating, mainly because readers were finally able to share in more of his journey. Anyone who has watched even one episode of Pit Boss knows that Shorty Rossi spent ten years in prison, but there is so much more to it than that. I found myself saying "Oh my God!" out loud several times while reading about the gritty details of prison life, such as how Shorty was charged by an angry Aryan carrying a shank, or how he spoke to Richard Ramirez, the Night Stalker. I won't give away too many details, as this memoir should be personally read by anyone who can read, but it is very rare that a book will make me sit up and exclaim vocally while I'm reading.

I also loved this book because it further illustrates Shorty's dedication to the pit bull breed, since there are people out there who think he is a fraud or a sell-out. Not the case. He is credible as an advocate because he has experienced all aspects of pit bull cruelty AND love; he witnessed the dog fights while growing up in the projects, and ended up with twenty dogs in one house simply because he was trying to save them. People don't understand how easy it is for someone to start out with good intentions when it comes to rescuing animals, but within the blink of an eye, animal hoarding and neglect can result. He's been there, and that is why he is such an important and credible voice for pit bull awareness and education. Shorty tells us flat-out that he made mistakes with dogs (like failing to get his first few spayed/neutered in the beginning) but that education is the biggest weapon against discrimination. We need this book, and its readers, to spread the message about pit bull awareness, education, and respect.

Shorty will always be a role model for me, because I know that even though I can't own a dog right now or even foster one, there are always ways to help the breed. I also know that people can be just as misunderstood as pit bulls, and that just because someone is a convict doesn't mean that they are an inherently bad person. He urges us to take the blinders off, take a good look in the mirror, and realize that people are people, and dogs are dogs. Hatred and intolerance are never ingrained into a living being, they must be taught. And only by teaching patience and learning about the truth behind others can we start to fight against all of the ignorance in the world. Shorty's said himself that he'll continue to do this for the rest of his life, and urges us to join him.

All in all, this is a wonderful memoir. If you know how to read, you should take the time and pick it up; you will learn something. Thank you for writing this, Shorty.

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly Inspirational Read, January 20, 2012
This was my second kindle purchase but first kindle read. I have to say it was a great choice. Like most I knew of Shorty through the Animal Planet show 'Pit Boss' but I actually had only seen a few episodes having not had cable. I was always curious to know Shorty's story from the little I had seen of 'Pit Boss' right away you could tell he had a story to tell. From page one the book read how Shorty talks and his personality bled from each page. I loved that about it since I could picture Shorty reading his story to me and I loved that about this book. It's no longer a mystery how Shorty got to where he is now and that's why this is such an inspirational read. It's true that everyone can change if they want and Shorty's story is proof of that. It's also proof that if you know what you want and you try hard enough you can accomplish great things. Something I needed to read at this point in my life.

Like the TV show Pit Bulls are not left out of the story. One reason I liked Shorty so much is his passion for his Pits. After seeing 'Pit Boss' my idea of Pit Bulls changed completely and I give him credit for that. While I'm not a Little Person I'm not very tall and I've always been afraid of dogs. If someone like Shorty can take care and walk Pits and even have one as his right hand man 'Hercules' as his service dog I doubt they are as big and scary as I imagined or was forced to imagine from the media. The more research I did the more I realized that Pits are better dogs then most I grew up with. I enjoyed learning how he rescued his first Pit 'Geisha' and his current service dog 'Hercules'. I've never had a dog and Pit Bulls were last on my list for a dog but they have been bumped up due to Shorty. I hope to get a Pit Bull as my first dog soon and I look forward to the love and loyalty they can bring. I also liked reading he seems to also love cats along with his love for Pit Bulls. That's nice to see since a lot of dog lovers have this weird hatred for cats but not Shorty. I loved learning about his feral cat rescue at DeWitt, sounds like he was born to be a Animal Rescue advocate.

Shorty is certainly a Little Person with a big attitude and love for animals that surpasses his height. Great story and I doubt you will not agree if you take the time to read this book yourself.

Thanks for sharing your story with us Shorty!

5.0 out of 5 stars No Truer Words Than " Don't Judge a Book By It's Cover", January 10, 2012
This review is from: Four Feet Tall and Rising: A Memoir (Hardcover)
If you don't know who Shorty Rossi is, You Will Read about this Man and his Passions in Life and for Life. He is the Star of Animal Planet's Show "Pit Boss". With that said, he is a Pit Bull and Bully Breed Advocate and Has a Little People Talent Agency in L.A. I Just wanna Say I really Liked this Friggin Book. It's Friggin Funny & Honest. And Most of All It will Tell You the "How" & "Why" of Luigi Francis (Shorty) Rossi...

5.0 out of 5 stars Candid, Honest, REAL Memoir, January 13, 2012
This review is from: Four Feet Tall and Rising: A Memoir (Hardcover)
This is the real deal where the author writes a transparent memoir; no skipping over the unpleasant, embarassing, or illegal; this is the stuff you really want to know. As a fellow dog lover, advocate, and fan of Pit Boss, I knew I'd enjoy the book, and it didn't disappoint.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shorty Rossi Life, January 12, 2012
This review is from: Four Feet Tall and Rising: A Memoir (Hardcover)
I met Shorty on numerous occasions and he is the type of person where he is very personable and he shows it with his Pit Bulls. He will do everything he can to stop the stigma of Pit Bulls. I know for a fact he does that everyday on Pit Boss and the conventions that he goes too. Shorty also leads by example. So if anybody understands Shorty is his close friends and family and I'm very proud to met him. Thank you Shorty for everything you have done and you inspired me not to be afraid. Also thank you Hercules in being sweet and likable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Fabulous Book!, February 22, 2012
P. Racklyeft (Tokyo, Minato-Ku Japan) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Four Feet Tall and Rising: A Memoir (Hardcover)
Wow! I couldn't wait to read this book. The minute it came out I got it on my Kindle and read it cover to cover immediately. I love the TV show Pit Boss and wanted to know everything about Shorty Rossi that he cared to share and did he ever! What an amazingly compassionate man! He has my utmost respect, gratitude and admiration. He is so unflinchingly honest and never portrays himself as anything but who he is, a flawed individual like any other. I love him and what he (and his crew, including his own pitbulls) has done for the breed. He is coming to Chicago in the summer and I CAN'T WAIT to see him. I hope I can shake his hand. Well done Shorty!

5.0 out of 5 stars Two thumbs and four paws up!, February 29, 2012
This review is from: Four Feet Tall and Rising: A Memoir (Hardcover)
Ruby's Tale: A True Rags to Riches StoryOkay Shorty, You got me...in fact, you got the whole family! Just finishing up "Four Feet tall and Rising" and I have to give it Two thumbs and four paws up! Simply couldn't put the book down. The writing style is appealing...very conversational and makes for an easy read and adds to the believability, the color and texture of your story. and OMG, what a story! Fascinating every page of the way. Felt like a mouse in the corner...like I was with you on your incredible journey through life. It would have been a CRIME NOT to publish you book. Your standing pretty damn tall in my eyes....Patrick Bettendorf, Author-"Ruby's Tale"

Four Feet Tall and Rising: A Memoir
Four Feet Tall and Rising: A Memoir by Shorty Rossi (Hardcover - January 10, 2012)
$25.00 $17.84