Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Sixx AM Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

Format: Paperback|Change

on December 20, 2010
This is a modern translation, not at all slangy. The introduction and essays at the end are useful.
Medea and Hyppolytus are popular plays. The Bacchae is totally disturbing and is meant to be. Heracles Mad is not so well known, not so popular, and probaly his best extant play.
A good read, with much meat for thought.
on April 13, 2015
Once you have deciphered what the book is saying the stories are really interesting. However, the translation is quite difficult to follow along. I found myself taking 3 times as long to read 20 pages as it did for me to read the Illiad.
on February 6, 2014
Be careful purchasing this book from this publisher. The book was required for a classics course I took, however, when I went to read a play from it, I found the translation to be very dated. The writing is difficult to read and very outdated (using words such as dost and o'er, etc.). Turns out, I had purchased the wrong book, and Amazon has mistakenly linked them together. The correct one has a red cover with a circle, this one has a white and blue cover with a picture of rocks. Don't waste your money on nearly unreadable prose, make sure you purchase the right book.
on September 25, 2014
This does not have line numbers or chapters so it is very difficult to keep up with my class. Also, the text is pretty much just a dumbed-down paraphrased version. I'm having to use the free online text version anyway. If you absolutely have to buy the physical book, buy a more reliable, more expensive version; it will be worth the extra 10 bucks.
on June 16, 2015
Chastity, infanticide and craziness are the themes of these classic plays by the most modern ancient playwright. Thoroughly enjoyable.
on September 11, 2014
Good. Used but came in great quality. I bought it for a Mythology class though I didn't need it much. The parts I did read were interesting though. It mostly provided famous stories in Greek mythology.
on February 7, 2014
I had to buy this book for a class and my teacher was very particular about the edition and publisher that we got. This is the exact copy of the one he requested so it is nice to know that amazon allows you to be that specific.
on February 15, 2015
Brand new condition!!! Awesome!!
on March 31, 2014
It is a great book for a great price, especially for a college requirement. Glad i get to keep it for future reading.
on November 14, 2014
It's a textbook that I had to have for class... a lot cheaper here than in the campus bookstore!