4.0 out of 5 stars Must have this book.
Published on May 30, 2000 by Linda

3.0 out of 5 stars Young child cover art and older child content
The cover art appeals to a much younger reader than the text. A child who would be interested in the subject matter is going to think it is a "baby book" and NOT want to be seen by peers reading the "little kid" cover.
Published on December 28, 2012 by Aunt Susan

4.0 out of 5 stars Must have this book., May 30, 2000
This review is from: The Fourth of July Story (Paperback)
This is a great 'read aloud book' for younger children who need to know about the history of our nation. I accompanied this book with D'Aulaire's, George Washington and Benjamin Franklin and got so much out of them all, much more than children can be getting in the class room today. I found my children (including myself) absorbed in the book wanting to keep reading more. I had checked this book out from the library but decided I needed this great resource in our home library so ordered it. I was pleased Amazon had it available.

5.0 out of 5 stars Charming, August 28, 2011
This review is from: The Fourth of July Story (Paperback)
The old-fashioned illustrations are perfect for this patriotic book about the birth of liberty in America. The characters of the American Revolution come to life: Patrick Henry speaks, George Washington leads; Thomas Jefferson writes; John Adams instructs; Benjamin Franklin teases; John Hancock signs. Across America, townsmen and frontier settlers and slave holders and free men hear the news about liberty and react to it.

We love this book. Even the youngest listeners will get a true taste for the beauty of hard-fought liberty.

We also enjoy Red, White, and Boom by Lee Wardlaw and Huy Voun Lee. Red, White, and Boom!

5.0 out of 5 stars For a British Child, January 30, 2010
John W. Garden (Lexington,, Ky. USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Fourth of July Story (Paperback)
We purchased this book for our grandson who is British. It proved a superb explanation of the colonies with captivating illustrations to acquaint him with his heritage.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Fourth of July Story, January 25, 2013
This review is from: The Fourth of July Story (Paperback)
This book is aptly named; it is indeed a story. The basic elements are true. Flourishes are added to make the story more accessible for a young child. Those flourishes work well. They add excitement and a sense of pride to the story.

The book starts with the Liberty Bell ringing on the very first Fourth of July. It starts by addressing the reasons colonists wanted to be free from the British, and how the tension between England and the colonists mounted. Next we see Thomas Jefferson writing the Declaration of Independence, followed by spreading the news about the Declaration of Independence, and then the victory of the Americans over the British. All of this is told by three time Newberry Honor Winner Alice Dalgliesh, a seasoned storyteller with a rich voice and a keen eye for the elements of history that must be told if the story is to impart the awe of the founding of a nation.

Dalgliesh also adds scenes that might have happened. For example a rider with the Declaration of Independence in his saddle bag, stops to talk with a farmer of German ancestry about the Declaration. The farmer continues thinking about what it means to live in a free country as the rider moves on through the countryside.

The major figures of independence and the revolution have a place in the story: Thomas Jefferson, John Adams, Benjamin Franklin, George Washington. There's a nice anecdote about a very young Andrew Jackson reading the Declaration of Independence to his neighbors.

"The Fourth of July Story" was originally published two years before I was born. The illustrations look like the illustrations in many of the picture books, novels and textbooks I grew up with. They bring a simple view of the revolutionary time alive. The artist is not trying hard for reality. The last picture in the book makes this particularly clear. At the end of the war, Washington is reviewing his troops. Almost all the troops are wearing uniforms that look spotless. My understanding is that soldiers were lucky to have any part of their uniforms left after the war.

"The Fourth of July Story" is great choice for reading on the 4th of July, or anytime the subject of the American Revolution comes up with young children.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good intro book for young readers, July 14, 2012
This is a good book for a young reader who is beginning to learn american history. Also, a good refresher for adults who are interested in early american history or a specific portion of history.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!, July 25, 2013
This review is from: The Fourth of July Story (Paperback)
This book was exactly what I was looking for for our grand daughter. It gives you all the necessary information in a shortened version. It is so important to understand what/why we celebrate the 4th of July. Loved it!

4.0 out of 5 stars My 5-year-old daughter loves history and really enjoyed Dalgliesh's "Thanksgiving Story, July 11, 2014
This review is from: The Fourth of July Story (Paperback)
My 5-year-old daughter loves history and really enjoyed Dalgliesh's "Thanksgiving Story." The 4th of July is her favorite holiday, so I knew she'd like this book, too. It didn't have quite the impact on her that the Thanksgiving one did, and she asked to read it in two sessions rather than cover to cover. But it presented this difficult era of history in a way a 5-year-old could readily understand, and I know we'll return to it each year.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read for young children., January 12, 2015
This review is from: The Fourth of July Story (Paperback)
This is needed in schools today as a supplement to early American history. It's a great tool to tell about America's birthday and heritage.

4.0 out of 5 stars great, March 25, 2013
This review is from: The Fourth of July Story (Paperback)
This was another downloadable book. It arrived almost immediately after I hit submit! I just think it is a little pricey for a downloadable book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Young child cover art and older child content, December 28, 2012
Aunt Susan (Stone Mountain) - See all my reviews

The Fourth of July Story
The Fourth of July Story by Alice Dalgliesh (Paperback - June 1, 1995)
$7.99 $7.29