5.0 out of 5 stars Marvelous!
Published on December 3, 2011 by Bryan R. Shepard

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst "whistle" I've ever tried to use-- doesn't whistle!
There is no wrong way to use a whistle, right?! This whistle is SO bad, it almost makes me wonder if I'm doing it wrong. It just sounds like air traveling through an opening-- there is no "whistle" to it unless you blow with all the pressure you can muster from your lungs. The construction seems really sturdy and it feels like a more expensive whistle in your hand...
Published 5 months ago by Jennifer Sloan

5.0 out of 5 stars Marvelous!, December 3, 2011
This review is from: Fox 40 Classic CMG Official Finger Grip Whistle (Sports)
I can't say enough good things about this piece of fine Canadian engineering! Pealess whistles never jam or fail to shrill because there are no moving parts. The finger grip fits my hand very well, except when I wear gloves (which, fortunately, I rarely do), and doesn't accidentally shift or move. This means that my whistle is always right where I expect it to be, even when running. The documentation says that the finger grip is adjustable, but I have not managed to solve this riddle. The CMG (cushioned mouth grip) is intended to help referees who hold the whistle in their lips or teeth, which I do not, but it does allow my lips to make a tighter seal, so more of my force of air is pushed through the whistle. The lack of a reservoir (like pea-style whistles have) means that water and dirt are less likely to accumulate and interfere with proper operation. This whistle is capable of a 115 dB shrill, and the best part is that somehow it doesn't hurt the ears of the user. This whistle cannot be overblown (pea-style whistles tend to mess up when blown too hard or soft), though it quickly loses its effectiveness if underblown. I believe that this whistle (or another from Fox 40 if you prefer lanyards) is a must-have for any sports official.

5.0 out of 5 stars very useful tool, November 22, 2012
This review is from: Fox 40 Classic CMG Official Finger Grip Whistle (Sports)
i bought this to referee soccer games. i like it because after a goal is scored and i write down the time and number of player i always misplace my whistle. so this is a good tool to use. i though you hook it up to 1 finger but it's actually 2fingers . fits and works great. only thing is that the whistle is not detachable and u cannot remove from holder.

5.0 out of 5 stars I use this whistle when I referee outdoor soccer., January 22, 2010
This review is from: Fox 40 Classic CMG Official Finger Grip Whistle (Sports)
It's nice and loud and fits comfortable on my XL hands whether I'm wearing gloves or not.

The Fox 40 whistles are a little more shrill than regular ball whistles, but that's ok because the point is to be heard, right?

The fingergrip style may not work for everyone (for example, if you just want a safety whistle, buy a regular Fox 40 w/o the fingergrips), but for refereeing I find it invaluable - much better than having to worry about lanyards.

The ball-less design is also nice in freezing weather; you don't have to worry about the whistle seizing up on you.

5.0 out of 5 stars This whistle does not blow!, January 27, 2010
Fox 40 Classic Fingergrip w/Cushion Mouth Grip
This whistle is loud and effective. Plus having the fingergrip ensures ease of use and no fumbling around with a bunch of lanyards and stop watches.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast shipping, great Fox 40 quality, May 14, 2012
This review is from: Fox 40 Classic CMG Official Finger Grip Whistle (Sports)
Very well made and great whistle here. Bought the product on a saturday, got shipped out that day, and arrived today, Monday. It is a great whistle. I will be using it for reffing soccer

4.0 out of 5 stars Clarity and loud, February 18, 2009
I have used the Fox 40 whistle for the last three years upon a recommendation from a friend. I have been very satisfied with the clarity and pitch this whistle provides. You have to blow a bit harder than a pea style whistle, however once you get used to the difference it works excellent. It will not freeze up on you in an ice arena as have some types of pea whistles. Overall I would use the Fox 40 for just about every situation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thar She Blows!!, November 4, 2011
This review is from: Fox 40 Classic CMG Official Finger Grip Whistle (Sports)
I referee High School Football And High School Lacrosse. I have a fox 40 around my neck and now one on my hand. This whistle is ideal for staying away from inadvertent whistles which can cause a game to go south in a hurry. It's loud and can clean out the wax in your ears. Not so good for a quick whistle but it keeps you from fumbling for the whistle around you neck.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast Shipping, Great Quality, Low Price, October 2, 2012
This review is from: Fox 40 Classic CMG Official Finger Grip Whistle (Sports)
I received the package in two days after paying for standard shipping. This whistle gives a loud, consistent pitch and the quality is great for the price. It is a little big for my fingers, but nonetheless, the product is great.

4.0 out of 5 stars Loud whistle, finger grip very convenient, February 11, 2013
This review is from: Fox 40 Classic CMG Official Finger Grip Whistle (Sports)
I am a soccer referee and have used this in a half dozen games so far. The finger grip is SO convenient. I should have bought this years ago. (With a lanyard sometimes you are in a hurry to blow the whistle but it might be turned around, not ready as quickly as you might want.) Note, you do need to have it go over two fingers. (I put it over my pointer finger and middle finger.)

I do like the 'sound' of a more traditional whistle like an Acme Thunderer with the cork ball inside, however sometimes when blowing very hard that can get a little bit 'stuck.' (I was also a lifeguard for many years, so I've used many whistles and in many situations.) This Fox whistle has a very shrill sound, and it can be VERY loud when blowing comparatively hard; it actually has hurt my ears on a couple of occasions. For a very soft whistle volume, it does not work as well as an Acme Thunderer.

I would certainly recommend this for refereeing. For 5 stars it would need to be practically perfect. But, at 4 stars, it is still a very good whistle and far better than using a whistle on a lanyard.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly loud whistle!, June 22, 2013
This review is from: Fox 40 Classic CMG Official Finger Grip Whistle (Sports)
As a girls lacrosse coach, I've already tried several different traditional whistle designs that use the pea inside them. While those performed ok, it seemed like I could never get the volume level out of them that I wanted, no matter how hard I blew.

That's not the case with the Fox 40, though! This thing is so loud when I blow it, not only do my girls stop playing, but all motor vehicle traffic within a 40 mile radius of me comes to a screeching halt! If I'm not careful and blow it too hard, I've realized that I've inadvertently stopped play in two televised NFL Football games that happened to be taking place in Texas. Mind you, I live in Florida! Why just last practice when one of my players fouled a teammate and I blew the whistle just a bit harder than I usually do, it wasn't but five minutes later that a British police Bobby ran up to me and asked, "what's all this then?"

This thing is awesomely loud, just be careful how loud you blow it!!!

Fox 40 Classic CMG Official Finger Grip Whistle