Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Fox Run Marble Rolling Pin with Wood Base, White
Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Color: White_Marble Rolling Pin|Change

Rolling pins are intended to be heavy and this one's a hefty six pounds. I place mine in the freezer for 30 minutes prior to rolling out pastry dough and it does a fantastic job. As you know, your options for making a flaky crust are to use either a marble slab with a wooden rolling pin and cloth sleeves (to pick up excess flour in the rolling process and prevent sticking) or, to chill the pin and work on a lightly floured surface. The chilled rolling pin prevents the breakdown of the fat in the dough and helps maintain the quality of the crust. I prefer this latter method.

Here are this product's pros and cons:

Pros
* Weight is appropriate for its purpose
* Marble provides a perfectly smooth dough
* Handles are sufficiently long for larger hands yet, excellent for smaller ones
* Base cradles the pin allowing it be placed on a counter or, stored on a shelf without the chance of rolling away
* Dough does not stick to the marble
* Cleans easily
* Long-lasting product

Cons
* There just aren't any, which is why I'm re-ordering exactly the same rolling pin 15 years later

We frequently complain about planned obsolescence in many of today's products. Not this one!
0Comment|92 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 29, 2009
For those who think that this rolling pin is too heavy, you have to remember that it is SUPPOSED to be heavy. The weight is the whole idea here, it is the weight of the pin that applies pressure to the dough so that your hands do less work when you make flat syrian or pita breads. There are also some recipes for no bake cakes that call for large quantities of crushed or even pulverized nuts and cookies. This pin will spares your wrists big time, your regular light weighted pin is just not going to work. If you feel that the finish is not smooth enough for you simply spray the pin with oil before you start using it, it cleans off really easy as well. And oh yes, marble is not cheap, this price is very reasonable.
0Comment|91 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 10, 2007
Pros:The pin is worth the money.
The weight is nice & heavy *(if thats what you prefer)
The base makes it safe to sit on the flat work bench or table.

Cons: The spin device is not as fluid as I would like but thats what you get for the money I guess.
22 comments|53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 19, 2009
Couldn't find anything like this locally, so I looked here. Couldn't believe the price and it really is the best rolling pin I've ever used. Keeps the dough cool and has never been "stuck" to the marble pin either. The cradle comes in really handy as well, since it can be hard to find an appropriate place on the counter or in a drawer without worrying about rolling all over the place. I definitely recommend it to anyone in need of a weighted, affordable, rolling pin.
on December 21, 2012
I ordered this with some reservations as the reviews were hit and miss. I definitely fell in the miss category as the product I received did not roll smoothly at all. Being an engineer, I examined it (after all, how complex can a rolling pin be?) and found that the handle is somehow fitted eccentrically to the marble. The result is that instead of a smooth motion, the rolling pin rolls a few inches and then binds and locks up so the handles do not spin freely. I immediately contacted Amazon to return this product.

It was an OK gamble given the price, but save yourself the trouble. In fact, I'd say that the use of marble and materials to make this product is just a waste of resources. I'd recommend looking for something that is fitted with nylon bearings at a minimum and stainless steel if you work a lot with pastry. There is simply no accounting for the pleasure of working with good tools, whatever your passion may be.
on August 18, 2011
It's got some good weight to it, the hole was centered on mine, it looks good and more expensive than it actually is. Very happy with this purchase.

Packaging left something to be desired, the product was just wobbling around in the delivery box without any cushioning, luckily it arrived unscathed.
on October 14, 2010
I purchased this rolling pin because it said 18" and I thought it would be longer than the others at a lower price. However, the 18" includes the handles so it was much smaller than I thought it would be. I had a marble roller for many years that was much bigger so was disapointed in the size. The quality seems good and I would recommend this to someone who doesn't mind it a bit smaller ( although I'd compare prices first).
on November 6, 2012
I upgraded from a ceramic rolling pin to this marble one. The marble is drilled off center in my pin, like in other reviews. I gave purchased it knowing there was a chance of this, but I had hoped the error had been corrected or perhaps only a few people received a defective product. My pin was nice and smooth, only one nick in it.

The product packaging is just a cardboard box, with no paper, foam, or bubble wrap to protect the product; it arrived in a shipping box with paper to prevent breakage, but the product box itself (not the shipping box) was damaged. I was just going to through the box out, so I didn't care, but if you were giving it as a gift you might not receive a presentable item. The packaging is probably only designed for a shelf display rather than being purchased online then shipped.

I would have kept it if the holes hadn't been off-center on both sides of the pin. At least I didn't have to pay for return shipping.
on July 30, 2009
Although some people might think that it is too heavy I think that it's nice to let it do all of the work. It has a nice roll and the stand is very useful.
on March 27, 2015
I like that it's heavy so when I do start rolling I won't have to put much pressure down but what deserve this 1 star is because I'm seeing noticeable cracks along the marble, I'm not sure if it's supposed to be like this. But one thing I'm sure is that one of the sides, it was probably previously chipped and cracked and I did noticed that they try to refilled that area. And that area is not smooth like the rest of the body, you can see the faulty job they did trying to cover it. I'm not sure if I got sent a used one, repaired one or whatever. The body part is smooth enough to roll on. I haven't used it yet but just disappoint that it's in this condition. I hope this does not affect the way it functions because if it does I'll be returning it soon.
review image