5.0 out of 5 stars Dr. Seuss genius at work
Sure, it teaches valuable vocabulary words and rhyme schemes to tiny tots. And no doubt there's a thesis somewhere comparing hapless Knox to Stalin knocking heads against the red-white-and-blue American Fox. But *Fox in Socks* is above all other things the first instrument of torture children can use against their parents.
Take Father, tired out from a hard day at...
Published on March 22, 1998 by Tess Capra

3.0 out of 5 stars numb tounge
It is a good book for children. Dr.suess is a good writer. And good at making my tounge numb. I would strongly recomend this to anyone.
Published 8 months ago by cj jones

5.0 out of 5 stars Dr. Seuss genius at work, March 22, 1998
Tess Capra (Greensboro, NC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fox in Socks (Beginner Books) (Hardcover)
Take Father, tired out from a hard day at the office. "Read me a story, Daddy," coos his blond princess. Father bravely tries to wrap his tongue around "Luke Luck likes lakes./ Luke's duck likes lakes." Daddy's little angel chortles with each misspoken word -- and there are plenty of them by the time he arrives at the muddle puddle tweetle poodle beetle noodle battle paddle battle." She goes to sleep secure in the knowledge that not only can she grow up to be president, but that she's already smarter than her poor parents.
And that's the genius of Dr. Suess. His tongue teasers and outrageous Goo Gooses and Bim Bens and Tweedle Beetles don't just
foster imagination -- they encourage kids to let it run rampant.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Dr. Seuss tongue twisting workout!, March 14, 2001
This review is from: Fox in Socks (Beginner Books) (Hardcover)
Dr. Seuss has created another entertaining children's classic with "Fox in Socks." The plot is simple: the clever title character dazzles his friend Knox with a series of increasingly complex tongue twisters. Along the way, Seuss reveals a number of fantastic images: a marching band in which all the musicians are pigs, a crow in a top hat, and more.
The book even has a touch of science fiction when the Fox introduces Knox to a weird lake of chewing gum-like blue goo. But it's the tongue twisting rhymes that are the central attraction of this book. By the time you get to the "muddle puddle tweetle poodle beetle noodle bottle paddle battle," you will certainly appreciate Seuss's writerly virtuosity. This is a fun book, and the Fox earns his place alongside Seuss's most memorable characters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wacky, rhyming, tongue-tangling fun!, March 20, 1998
This review is from: Fox in Socks (Beginner Books) (Hardcover)
Even though it elicits the occasional groan of agony from the adult doing the reading, Fox in Socks is THE favorite book in our house!
That silly, socks-wearing fox and poor, beleaguered Mr. Knox have brought many a giggle to our bed-time reading adventures, not to mention the childish howls of laughter heard during the pathetic, tongue-tripping rendition presented by the victim...ahem...parent chosen to do the reading. From the start of the game to the beetle-battle atop the noodle-eating poodle at the end of the story, Fox in Socks is a frolicking romp for kids of all ages.
Every house with or without children should have this book-it's a classic no library should be without!

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Seuss for Children of Any Age - Better than 5 Stars, January 13, 2002
This review is from: Fox in Socks (Beginner Books) (Hardcover)
Although Amazon advertises this book for ages 4-8, my wife and I started reading this and other Seuss books to our children from 6 months on. Always a delight, our kids would laugh at the silliness while acquiring a zest for life at the same time. We started a great habit of reading two or three Seuss books before bed, and the kids loved them. Soon, they would memorize many of the phrases, beginning a lifelong passion for reading.
Every kid should experience reading Fox in Socks while growing up. Join the Fox in Socks as he leads Mr. Knox on a zany adventure of learning and silly rhymes. Combine it with other fun Seuss books and your kids will sit enthralled as you turn the pages. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Repetition and Rhyme You Say?, October 21, 2000
This review is from: Fox in Socks (Beginner Books) (Hardcover)
Dr. Seuss once again proves that rhyming tongue twisters repeated over and over and over again will help my child learn to read and associate words and sounds and drive me nuts in the process. It was worth it. Thank you.

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic!, December 16, 1998
By A Customer
I bought a horse a year back and his name was Fox in Sox. I was informed that this was the previous owners' favorite childhood book. I bought the book and I must agree. As silly as it may sound to have a show horse named Fox in Sox, I am very glad, because I loved this book! We were going to change his name but after I read the book, I just couldn't and he shows proudly as the only horse named Fox in Sox!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Seuss EVER!, August 2, 2000
This review is from: Fox in Socks (Beginner Books) (Hardcover)
I had this book when I was young, and unfortunately tore it up beyond recognition....but when I had my own son 4 years ago, I HAD to get this book......my husband and I would crack up when we'd read this aloud to my son as an infant, and now that he's older, he's laughing along with us! This is GUARANTEED to bring a smile upon the readers face, as well as anyone around who gets the joy of hearing them! I'm now 27 and I STILL love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great "graduation" present for kids in speech therapy!, June 3, 1998
This review is from: Fox in Socks (Beginner Books) (Hardcover)
I gave this book to a 7-year-old speech therapy client of mine as a present when he "graduated" from working on S's, and he loves it! It made him so proud to be able to read it out loud all by himself! I'm sure he's still torturing his parents with it!

5.0 out of 5 stars PLAYING WITH WORDS CAN BE FUN, February 27, 2001
There can be no better way to increase a child's confidence in his use of language than playing games with words.
Dr Seuss' "Fox in Socks" will take children on a voyage. They will giggle with all the words that rhyme. They will laugh at all the words that spill across the pages, and they will start to see that even nonsense words can sometimes be something special.
Children will learn that a few simple words can be put together in endless combinations. They will see that language can have structure and a story can be built upon the simplest of ideas.
Dr Seuss gets us to focus on and practice all the tricky sounds that make up our words and sometimes cause us to be lazy with our speech. He takes us from a "quick trick brick stack" to one made of blocks, chicks and clocks.
Lots of little tongues have trouble pronouncing Ls. Let them loose on Luke Luck likes lakes".
On a more serious note it could be expected that children who occasionally stumble or stutter with their words may benefit from immersing themselves in the wonderful world of Dr Seuss' "Fox in Socks".
The pictures, once you get to know the style, really grow on you. You just have to keep coming back for more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seuss is the Master, March 10, 2014
This review is from: Fox in Socks (Kindle Edition)
Seuss is the master of children's poetry. There's very little more that needs be said. His every word is carefully chosen, his rhythm and rhyme impeccable.

There are, unfortunately, other books by lesser authors that are released under his name, usually with the heading, "Dr. Seuss Presents," but this is not one of them. This is one of his best.

Fox in Socks (Beginner Books)
Fox in Socks (Beginner Books) by Dr. Seuss (Hardcover - January 12, 1965)
$8.99 $5.08