Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

TOP 50 REVIEWERon January 14, 2013
FOYLE'S WAR presents Brit Home Front war-life through poignant topics, compelling suspense, and many mirthful moments. It is a 1940-45 Southern country experience not to be missed. English WWII involvement and resulting life-style of the population away from the active war front when all England expects an eminent invasion from Germany.
3 episodes of Foyle's Post-War (summer 1945) are done in the same 6-YES, SIX-STAR excellence. Foyle longs for retirement, but it's not to be [great news for fans]. Period drama precision detailing history, drama, action, romance, mystery, and suspense

FOYLE'S WAR is also a series the best 21st century written TV murder mystery ever presented by creator/writer Anthony Horowitz. A modern classic for sure. Foyle's War is fiction, but so authentic to detail that this series is a MUST for historians.

Christopher Foyle (Michael Kitchen) is a cop who'd rather be on the front, not investigating Hastings crime. Milner (Anthony Howell) does much of Foyle's "leg-work" on an artificial limb. A female driver, "Sam" (Honeysuckle Weeks) is gorgeous with a winning smile. Perfect attention is given to the period details; sets, costumes, vehicles, architecture, even down to NO yellow road lines. Including facial expressions, performances are nothing short of perfection.

Numerous guest stars in each episode known stars seen in top Masterpiece Theatre productions. Additional post-war episodes airing in Sept, 2013. A set of all previous episodes to prepare the way for those new adventures.
Closed Captioning &/or SDH subtitles provided
* Broken Souls March 23, 2008
* All Clear March 24, 2008
Post-war era: 2010
The Russian House; Killing Time; & The Hide
66 comments| 160 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 17, 2013
This has got to be the best all-around British series ever. Where can you get British comedy, history, mystery and drama all in the same series and in every episode? Kudos to Horowitz for pulling the plots together. Kitchen is the master of non-verbal expression. The cast is well chosen and they interact with their special attributes. I've watched the series a dozen times and I'm still finding new things. Although each episode is it's own entity, the character development grows with the series, so it help at one time to watch it from beginning to end.It's the best buy in town and you can't beat the price. I've purchased this series for some friends who didn't care for TV series and they ended up inviting their neighbors over once a week for a "Foyle's" party. Start your own Foyle's Fan Club.
on June 10, 2013
Okay, first of all, I have always loved this series, the stories and the actors. I figured it would be a good gift to give to my mom. She enjoys the Masterpiece programs, and likes to watch them again and again, sometimes as a "marathon." However, my mom doesn't like me to spend money on NEW DVDs for her. So, I try to find them on ebay or at the Goodwill-type stores in town. Sometimes, however, I do buy them new. Then I open them up before I mail them to Mom, so they appear to be used.

When I saw the boxed set at this really good price, I knew I had to get it for Mom. When the they arrived at my house, I made them look used, and then I mailed Mom the first couple of series for Mothers Day. Later this month, the next couple series will go out for her birthday, and so on.

Yes, it's a tad deceitful, but Mom likes a good DVD and a good bargain, so, why not?
22 comments| 67 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 10, 2013
These series will always be amongst my collection. The main characters are so likeable & story lines very interesting. I wish we had more stories between the beginning & end of WW11. There is quite a gap. When I first began watching these series, I thought the low key Foyle would be a drag but he is anything but....I hope the central characters continue in future stories..
on June 26, 2013
As a huge fan of Brit mysteries and the quality of the programs they produce I find I have a new favorite among the DVDs I own. Foyles War is the best I have seen in a long time. I usually purchase most Brit mystery DVD made and have some of the best available in my collection. This series is unique and holds my interest continually. Michael Kitchen has an unusual talent in that he can say much with few words. His facial expressions tell it all. I highly incourage people to get this series....it is worth every dollar.
on April 1, 2013
Loved every second on these DVDs, am thoroughly spoiled to just about anything else, better than Downton Abbey I, II and III, in my opinion.
on July 29, 2013
I would give Foyle's War 5 stars for content. I gave it 4 because sadly, there were no captions. Even if you are not hard of hearing, the English chatter goes by so quickly and so many good "asides" are lost for lack of understanding. The series itself is amazing. Some confusion in the time frame. Events happened that we didn't see with the characters and we have to assume that a wedding took place or some closures were made to office buildings etc. All in all, I would not avoid this series because of that. I have already pre-ordered season 7. For value, it's makes sense to buy all 6 series in the box set. It is much less expensive. Enjoy!
on June 12, 2013
The series. Very good. 4 to 4.5 stars.

The package. On the positive side, this is a very good transfer and is up to Acron's usual standards. On the negative side, there's the packaging. Instead of one episode per disc they could have put two on each of the four episode series's, however. Disc three of set six was cracked so I had to return it adding a layer of annoyance into the purchase. The packaging is up to Acorn's usual standards: AWFUL. It had already split apart at its poorly glued seams before I even took it out of the Amazon box. Note to Acorn: put as much care into your slip cases as the rest of your product. Your slipcases as a general rule are quite awful. The keepcases are quite flimsy. 2.5 stars

Summation: a mixed bag. If you only care about the series and not about the packaging go for it.
I don't want to get too involved in the plots, but mainly I wanted to point out that I nabbed this when Amazon dropped the price to $39.99. As I write this review it is currently $44.99, which is still a steal!

The show begins in the early years of World War 2 and is based along the south coast of England in and around Hastings (apparently quite a sketchy place in these years! - kidding!). Micheal Kitchen plays Detective Foyle, a very wry and intelligent police officer stationed on the home front. During the years of the war and even in some of the post-war years, he is tasked with various duties such as solving murders, investigating other crimes, unraveling espionage and spy networks, and all the other home front fun. The series could have been a letdown but the writing and acting are top notch. Even the supporting cast is amazing.

Each episode is film length (90 to 100 minutes), so the viewer has plenty of time to get into the plot and become acquainted with the characters. Some of the characters appearing in individual episodes are known for other series and films, and it is quite fun to see some decently high profile British actors appearing in this series (such as David Tennant - shame on you if you don't know 'Who' he is).

I wouldn't say this is in the same style as other top British series such as Downton Abbey, so it is hard to compare it to some of the other favorites. As far as comparing this to other crime themed dramas, I feel this might be the best in years, if not the best ever. Each time I thought I might lose interest, something happened that caught my attention - or Micheal Kitchen uttered another snarky response! In any case, I highly recommend this series for those fans of intelligent crime dramas that have a little more story and aren't afraid to explore some of the story surrounding the crimes.

I would rate 6 stars if I could!!!
on November 19, 2015
For my money, "Foyle's War" was one of the best detective shows to ever grace the screen, as this collection clearly shows.
It had everything: An intriguing setting, believable characters, great story lines, and a hero who is the kind of detective you'd want working on your own case. Michael Kitchen was brilliant as Foyle, a veteran of World War I who is both too old and too valuable as a police inspector to serve in the British military during World War II. Just insubordinate enough to solve cases without getting tied up in bureaucratic nonsense, he pursues leads with dogged determination and a keen insight into the human psyche.
Honeysuckle Weeks also shone brightly as his driver Samantha (Sam) Stewart, a young woman who joined the Army's transportation corps to "do her bit" and wound up being assigned to the police department for assorted reasons (including her own touch of insubordination.) Together she and Foyle wound their way through a series of remarkable cases ranging from the capture of German spies to the arrest of the person who murdered a young (and very pretty) bootlegger. Throughout the series they dealt with corrupt higher-ups, American soldiers, and a host of criminals that came in all sizes and shapes.
The series was also remarkable for its dedication to the period in which it is set: The costumes, including the uniforms, are always correct; the automobiles are of the right vintage and the dialogue is spot on - you won't find any too-modern words or phrases creeping in.
All in all, a series that's not to be missed.