4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, but flawed.
No Spoilers.

Published on March 21, 2010 by DC_Fan_52

3.0 out of 5 stars A Cruel Infuriating Wonderful Fantastic Game
Published on September 9, 2011 by Z. Frost

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, but flawed., March 21, 2010
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
No Spoilers.

From a purely objective perspective, Fragile is an average game. But there's nothing wrong with average, we're all mostly average. I can't give it 5 Stars, no matter how much I grew to love the game's heavy atmosphere and touching story. Oh, I could gush about the beauty, but you really want to know about it's flaws that keep it from being a perfect game.

The almost unanimous consensus is that Fragile's combat system is flawed. Seto, the main character, can be equipped with random things he finds on his journey: sticks, pipes, hammers, which he uses to swing away at ghosts and other enemies. But, the weapons randomly break, some lasting a few minutes, others lasting several hours. When a weapons breaks, you have to switch to another one, but if you don't have a spare on hand, you have to go back to a save point to switch your items around. Thankfully, there are many save points, you'll never be too far from one.

Seto has two item screens On Hand and a Briefcase. It's fairly obvious, you can only use items you have On Hand, and everything else is store in your Briefcase, which you can only access in save points. This type of item management is supposed to inspire the "survival-horror" vibe, but despite being very haunting, Fragile isn't very scary. In fact, there aren't that many enemies around, and those that are, you usually can out run them or get around them. But, if you choose to fight, enemies give you experience and you level up.

It was my experience that the combat system was adequate most of the time, only birds and enemies that attacked in small areas like hallways gave me trouble. You can usually outrun the birds.

The game is short, as you might be able to predict. Going at my own pace, slow at the beginning but a bit fast near the end, I beat the game in 16 hours. Looking back, it was an overall rewarding experience. Exploring areas, clearing rooms of ghosts, and finding key items made for nice rewards early on, later, I kept pushing myself further - "One more hallway. One more save point." - as I sensed the elusive Silver Haired Girl might be just around the corner.

So I give Fragile Dreams a 4 out of 5. Yes, its gameplay is average. It doesn't innovate, heck you might even call it behind the times. But the haunting atmosphere and endearing story, I like to think make up for that. Its combat and item system can be annoying, but they managed to curb that problem by, honestly, making a relatively easy game. If you've never played a survival horror game, this is an okay start, and if you're a new gamer (not all of us have been gaming since 1990) this is an entertaining excursion. For us "golden age" gamers, chances are you're only looking at Fragile because you want something that's off the beaten path. I'm so happy I got out of my comfort zone and gave Fragile a shot.

5.0 out of 5 stars An intriguing game, March 20, 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
What do you do when you seem to be the last person on earth? This game is a young boys quest to find out what happened to everyone else in his post-apocalyptic world. All seems empty, but there's beauty in the desolation. Im glad XSeed decided to publish this title in North America. It's not uncommon for talented developers to craft a game that focuses on brilliant art direction rather than polygon power, since this isn't the Wii's strong point. I'm glad because the game looks fantastic, like a watercolor painting come to life. As you might have guessed it's also heavily anime-influenced, so if this isn't your thing don't dismiss Fragile because it's otherwise still an engaging experience. Also, you do fight enemies from time to time but the focus is mostly on exploration, with a great Flashlight mechanic a la Silent Hill, and the use of everyday items to round out your inventory. The music is another high point: mellow, yet epic and immersive and it sets the dark, dreary mood of the game very well. Players even have the choice of the English-dubbed track for the voicework or the original Japanese with subtitles for the purists. Overall, Fragile is another Wii winner and another great release in what seems to truly be the best year for Wii owners so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully Tragic Game, March 27, 2010
LegraLegs (New Hampshire) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I still haven't finished the game but I had to review this for the people who are waiting for other opinions before they buy. For those of you who didn't read the game description you play Seto, a post-apocalyptic orphan who is completely alone. He doesn't know if there are other survivors left in the world so he sets off for a mysterious tower that is briefly mentioned at the start of the game. At the start of his journey he bumps into a lone girl who quickly runs off but he felt a connection with her despite their brief encounter. So now his main goal is to find her. Don't think that you and her are the only people you will see along the way. You will meet friends who will help your quest. You will run into ghosts and other "things" that you will have to fight. You will also pick up random objects that have memories embedded in them. These are one of the things that I love about this game. You can "read" these memories and I was genuinely touched by some of them. There are a lot of thoughts about death and regret that I think everyone can relate to. I know that I've had some of these feelings at one time or another in my own life. Maybe I'm a tad morbid but I digress. I'm not really gonna go into game play, camera movement, or any of that stuff as that's for another gamer to write about. I can say that the graphics are very beautiful at times although not always. The voice acting is superb, especially for the "memories". If you aren't just about killing things and enjoy stories with real human emotions then I highly recommend this game. I really can't say enough about how much I love the story behind it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great RPG game, March 17, 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Most of us RPG game fans have been left out in the cold with the Wii. I have to say, this was the first Wii game I got excited for. I don't want to spoil the game, so I won't talk about the story or anything like that, but this is a rare gem of a game on the Wii, and I highly recommend it. There are tons of features, like spoken japanese language with english subs, or English dubbing - your choice. Also, I didn't realize at first, but the box art cover of the disc box is reversible with second box art on the other side. You can tell the folks at XSeed took a tremendous amount of time and effort in making sure this was done right, and it shows. If you haven't picked up a copy yet, get it. Highly recommended -> 5 stars all the way.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Cruel Infuriating Wonderful Fantastic Game, September 9, 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I'll start by saying that I love Fragile Dreams. It's a unique gem unlike any other game I've played. I thoroughly enjoyed it, but my experience was dampened by glaring flaws. These flaws are apparent and in your face for the -entire- game, and require much patience and forgiveness from the player. If you're the type who gets mad at video games and/or takes out your frustration on your controller, Fragile Dreams is definitely not for you.

-PLOT-
You control Seto, a boy who may be the last living person on the planet. Seto sets out on a journey to find survivors. Right after the introductory part of the game, Seto meets a silver-haired girl. She flees, and he decides to look for her. The game takes place almost always at night, which gives it a haunting and solitary atmosphere. To enhance your experience to the fullest, I recommend playing it only at night when you're alone, since it seems to lose most of its effect when played during the day.

-CONTROLS-
Pushing the control stick up makes Seto move forward. Pushing the control stick down makes him slowly back away. Pressing/holding B will put you in a first-person perspective where you can look at your surroundings with the Wii remote, which will vibrate if you find something important, which you can then examine by pressing A.

Your Wii remote pointer appears as a cursor on the screen. Move the Wii remote/cursor around, and Seto will follow it with his flashlight. Moving the cursor to the sides of the screen makes him turn. If you point your Wii remote away from the screen, Seto's flashlight will assume a frontward position and he will move wherever you move the control stick. I found that doing this was great for dispatching rooms full of enemies and navigating narrow hallways without difficulty.

-GAMEPLAY-
Fragile Dreams puts you in a large area, gives you an objective, has you explore that area until you complete your objective, and then moves you on to the next area where you explore and complete your objective and so on. There's quite a bit of backtracking, which makes the game seem less linear than it is. The different areas are packed with hidden items and enemies, and you might find yourself exploring areas not for the items, but just to take in the sights, as it is a beautifully detailed game. Scattered across the world are bonfires that serve as the game's save points. At a bonfire you can sort, manage and switch items between your on-hand inventory and your briefcase (see INVENTORY). When you start a bonfire, an item merchant might appear, and you can buy/sell items. His appearance is completely random, and like most randomly-appearing things, he's never around when you really need him.

Sometimes you'll find memory items, which you can take to a bonfire to read the memories of people who once lived. These aren't crucial to beating the game, but are there to add flavor. Some areas contain enemies- pretty much ghosts and wild animals- who you'll have to fend off with your weapon.

-COMBAT-
The combat is where Fragile Dreams starts to lose its luster. When you enter a room and your Wii remote starts making creepy noises, there are enemies in the room. You can either fight the enemies and reap the benefits, or you can (easily) outrun them and get away. Fighting them earns you items, money (yen), and experience points, which in turn can give you a level-up, increasing your health and strength. The enemies are unique and bizarre at first, but as you progress through the game you'll be faced with palette-swaps of enemies you once fought, and later you'll fight palette-swaps of those palette-swaps. This and the overly simple combat makes things boring and monotonous. There are some boss fights in the game that add freshness to the combat, but none of them are long enough to keep things interesting. It all sounds ho-hum and easy, until you finish a battle and find out that your weapon broke.

Your weapons will break constantly and entirely at random. You could go through countless battles before your weapon breaks, replace it with a brand-new version of the exact same weapon and have it break after a single fight. It's mystifying and infuriating, how unreliable the weapons are. I have no idea why the developers thought it would be a good idea to include this in the game. Thankfully your weapon doesn't break until you finish a fight, so you're not left with a broken weapon while surrounded by ghosts. If your weapon happens to break on you and you don't have any spare weapons in your on-hand inventory, you can't replace it until you find a bonfire where you can get a new weapon out of your briefcase.

-INVENTORY-
Another frustrating part of Fragile Dreams is its inventory system. The on-hand inventory works like the one on Resident Evil 4, where items take up certain amounts of squares on your grid and you have to strategically arrange them to get them to fit. This is annoying because you have hardly any space to work with. You eventually get bigger bags to fit more items into, but they aren't enough to compete with the rising difficulty of the later areas in the game.

If you find an item on the ground in a position that isn't matched by the empty spaces in your bag, you have to rearrange your on-hand inventory to make an empty space that matches the shape of the item on the floor. Some items, even money, can take up to around a quarter of your bag space in the form of "mystery items" which you then have to take to a bonfire to find out what they are. This will sometimes have you running back and forth to collect items and take them to bonfires in order to conserve the space in your bag, and whatever enemies you killed will respawn as soon as you start a bonfire, which only adds to the frustration.

-AUDIO-
The sound effects in Fragile Dreams are good. Depending on what Seto is standing on, the sound of his footsteps will change. His weapons "woosh" accordingly. Everything is up to snuff. Each enemy has its own noise that plays through the Wii remote, which can startle you sometimes, especially if you have the speaker's volume turned all the way up (Recommended for full experience). The game doesn't play much music when you're actually in-game, but with most cutscenes you're treated to beautiful piano pieces that are a delight to the ears. The dialogue is great, but the voice acting is corny, like what you'd expect from an anime cartoon. Listening to Seto cry and sniffle over everything surprisingly doesn't take away from the experience, but it might cause you to look away as you would with any other crying sniffling person.

-THE BOTTOM LINE-
I love Fragile Dreams. It's a beautiful game that's given me beautiful memories. I've played it, I've beaten it, I've completed it, I'm 100% satisfied with playing it, I've gotten genuinely emotional over it, I've put it back on my shelf, and I will never, EVER touch it again. If you're someone who wants to have an emotional experience rather than a entertaining one, don't hesitate to buy this game. Just know that no matter how much you love Fragile Dreams, the tedious combat and groan-inducing inventory management will make it painfully clear that the game does not love you back.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful JRPG, March 21, 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This is the prettiest game I have ever played. The visuals seem to push the limits of the Wii graphics. The audio adds another dimension to the game. The plot is intriguing. The makers set out to make a game that re-sensitizes gamers, and as the story unfurled I definitely felt various emotions. This is the first Japanese Role Playing Game that I played through completely and I am so glad I bought it. Some of the mechanics of the game were similar to Silent Hill: Homecomings, but it wasn't overwhelmingly frightening. It only took me about 14 hours to play from beginning to end, but I can't speak highly enough of the experience.

Play it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fragile Dreams, June 3, 2010
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This is my first video game review, so please bear with me. It is true that the gameplay of Fragile Dreams is nothing special. The graphics, though stunningly beautiful, have been beat as early as 2007. However, it is still a VERY worthwile gaming experience! This game gets poor reviews for difficult controls, but I myself, just a casual gamer who has rarely turned on the Wii, got used to them within a couple of hours. From then on, pointing the flashlight the way I was going, and walking or striking ghosts became simple (especially since the enemies are fairly easy to kill, even bosses). While you cannot "lock on" to enemies and have to instead search for and follow them with your flashlight, that is the way it would be in real life, so it's hard to complain. The background music is exceptional, perfectly fitting the beautiful-but-lonely atmosphere of the world of Fragile Dreams. The music that played when a ghost was nearby immediately fills the player with a sense of dread and a desire to either destroy the threat, or just get the hell out of there. This game's strength definitely lies in its well-told story and the "human drama" felt by the main character, Seto, as he searches for an companionship in a world where humans have become nearly extinct. Personal items you find along the way tell heartfelt stories about people's lives before disaster struck. The events are so well-played that every emotion felt by the characters, you, the player, will empathize with--fitting, since empathy is one of the themes of the game. This is not a happy game--if you don't start tearing up at least once, you will want to; and not, like some games, because it is hard or frustrating. But this just lets you appreciate the small bits of happiness and the satisfying ending even more. Maybe Fragile Dreams would have gotten more praise from critics if it were an animated film, but I believe that the video game media has the ability to provide the truest emotional experience, which the game successfully creates.

3.0 out of 5 stars Must have the taste for this type of genre, May 9, 2010
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
First, It is much appreciated that XSeed ports (imports) Japanese titles for the United States consumers and I fully support them. I've three other Xseed titles and this review would be true of most of them.

This is an adventure game. I'd not call it an RPG. Exploration is limited as you are generally confined to a portion of the map to achieve a particular goal. Fetch quests, hide-n-seek "battles" and combat predominate the action of the game. The strategy portions of the game are confined to your inventory control, items useage and weapon care.

The story is interesting but compelling only if you are interested in playing a naive 15 year old boy that meets with even stranger characters than himself. "Stranger in a strange land," is a good example of this type of narrative.

The cutscenes are beautiful but the game is played primarily in dark, underground, cement locales. This is postapocalyptic Tokyo after all.

I enjoyed the early events but grew less interested as the game progressed. I did not finish this game because my interest in the story did not survive the tedium of the actions, combat and inventory management.

Ultimately, this game is a niche title and succeeds very well at what it is; however, I can only recommend it to "finiki" game enthusiasts or individuals looking for a unique story experience with less than perfect "game" conventions.

The controls work well but can sometimes be tricky, as are many Wii titles.

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful, haunting experience! (Spoilers!), May 1, 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
"Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon" is unlike any game I have ever played. Whereas most games focus on action stringed together by an unintelligible plot, this game builds its action around a deep, engaging, heart-rending story.

In the sparsely-populated post-apocalyptic world of "Fragile Dreams", almost every friend that Seto has ever known quickly passes away, and we struggle with Seto to deal with his loneliness, as he attempts to make human connections. Philosophies imparted about life and death are brutally touching. Even the main antagonist offers a deep insight into human nature.

The soundtrack perfectly underscores the haunting, yet sometimes uplifting, stories in the game. The immersive environment features gorgeous graphics and plenty of room to explore the apocalyptic world. (As a side note, some retailers offered soundtrack "Moonlight Tracks" with this game, but you can easily find the MP3s online.)

As many reviewers have noted, however, the unique change in focus in "Fragile Dreams" apparently did take its toll on battling mechanisms, which are standard, but enjoyable in their own right, as main character Seto fights with wooden sticks and other odd items he can forage. However, this trade-off is entirely worth it, and hardly worth mentioning. The world has had plenty of awesome action titles: "Fragile Dreams" offers a rarely seen dive into the "heart" of a video game.

For purists, the publisher apparently did not attempt to Americanize this game at all. As far as I can tell, dialogue is faithful to the original, and all Japanese scripts have been retained in lieu of transformation into the English alphabet. I applaud the publisher for this move, as the game does not end up watered-down like so many others. For die-hard purists, you also have the option of playing the game in the original language.

Perhaps the quickest way to sum up this game is: it's like a good anime that you can play. Get it!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Thriller Game that Keeps Your Attention!, March 26, 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
The game has great art and voiced cutscenes, which is one of the reasons why I brought. All the surroundings are very carefully depicted and quite realistic (as close as animations can be real). Th game is kind of different from other main RPG type games, there is fighting but its more of a mystery and exploration type. What surprised me about the game was that it is a bit of a thriller. Not to the extend of Horror but definitely a bit scary, enough to keep me awake and in pretty tense spirit as I play. It is kind of like rather than watching a thriller, you are actually playing as the main character, which makes it all the more intense. Specially at the beginning, unfamiliar with the game, I was surprised a few times ( I would not say by what in order not to ruin it). So if you like games that have great art and is a bit of a thriller/mystery then this is for you.

Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon - Nintendo Wii