Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

Format: PaperbackChange

on May 30, 2012
It is basically page after page of definitions and descriptions of concepts. Not many examples of good strategies. It is like reading a thesaurus. I hate this book.
on June 5, 2012
This book contains page after page of definitions and reads like a dictionary in paragraph form. The test bank (that my professor uses) is full of definition questions. At an MBA level, this is a mockery of the students' abilities. By graduate school it is safe to say we know how to memorize definitions. We are looking for applicable marketing skills, which are not addressed in this book. Waste of money!
11 comment16 of 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 25, 2014
While, on one hand, this book is logically organized to present the given information, it presents it as drily as possible, with very few examples to help color understanding. It is torture to try to get through it. Fortunately, it's for an MBA class that I already know most of the material of from working in marketing. If this was new material to me, I think I would really have a hard time using this book as a learning tool. Also, you will be shocked at how small it is. $125-ish for this little, boring book is criminal.
33 comments4 of 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 17, 2013
As a Graduate student in an MBA program my focus has been in financial and sales. Not having any experience with marketing put me at a disadvantage.
This text managed to cover all aspects of this subject in an effective way and also provide real world examples.
A good read.
Regards.
on January 29, 2013
I have taken many marketing classes over the years, and most of them are enjoyable. While the class this book is attached to is fairly enjoyable, reading this book is a drag. I almost feel like this is a set of vocab words in book form. It has good information, but is presented in a very dry way. I would look elsewhere for engaging material.

UPDATE 1/29/2013:

There is a comment on one of these reviews that I really like. It says,

"As a college professor I assign this book for several reasons; (1) it is concise and gives a summary overview of major topics in marketing; (2) this means that I as the teacher add in REAL TIME examples to supplement the book so the student aren't reading out-dated material; (3) it is MUCH cheaper than 'other' marketing textbooks since it is concise. I believe it is up to your teacher to add in any material that will make the content come alive for the class. This book clearly does what it intends to do - provides a concise summary of major topics so the creative teacher can add in his/her own examples, cases, simulations etc to enrich the content."

I believe this is the way that the book should be used.
on April 12, 2012
Great option for classroom use, except the Kindle version refuses to give you page numbers. The school will not take quotes with Kindle locations. This is wasted money if you have to do citations.
on September 4, 2013
I adopted this book for a marketing management class. I had high expectations because I am familiar with the authors' other work, such as the branding research. However, I found this book to be confusing. I assume it tries to emphasize the management aspect of marketing, rather than a basic marketing textbook. But it really didn't do a good job. The content tends to jump from one topic to another without an explanation. Hard to follow. Lack of examples is also a problem as many definitions, concepts are very academic (at least for an undergraduate class). I agree with many other reviewers, this is a dictionary of business, marketing,and management. In addition, the teaching materials provided by the publisher are also confusing and dry. I started to use another marketing book as a supplement for this class.
on December 28, 2012
I used this book for my MBA class. I dnot know why it is so costly. It is basically full of definitions. There are no case studies or case analysis mentioned in the book. I would not recommend this book.
on September 14, 2015
I've been teaching MBA Intro to Marketing from the "Framework" book for 4 years now, and I like it. It has to be used correctly, though - I've added a lot of examples and student presentations to bring life to the framework. The course has been very well rated by students.

We moved from a 15-week semester in MBA Marketing "601" to a semi-online format, which gives me 6 weeks of interactive video plus part of a 3-day face-to-face intensive to teach what I used to teach in a standard semester. I moved from the traditional Kotler & Keller Marketing Management to this book to make the amount of weekly reading do-able, but I think the value is in the interaction (whether virtual or in-person) that can be added to its abbreviated format. Its usefulness is 5-star, but I took it down to 4 stars because it's too expensive for such a small book (whose contents is derived from the larger K&K).
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 14, 2014
Overall, I didn’t like this text. It is a couple of years old for the fifth edition, so it is a bit dated with regards to blogs and social media

The problem isn’t really the content though. The “framework” part of the title is spot-on. The problem is that the framework is all there is. It comes across as a firehose of jargon, and as someone who had never taken a marketing class, it was a little much. (As an aside, is it just me, or is a bunch of marketing just social science poorly understood and badly applied?) The big thing for me is that there were too few examples, so the terms and ideas just became an unceasing flow of one thing after another. No context for the terms made for harder understanding of the concepts.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse