Automotive Deals Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

I received these as a birthday gift from my husband- he ordered these via DHG. They came very quickly, from Hawaii to Florida.

For those of you curious about what you're ordering, or a little concerned about ordering a "live cutting" via postal mail, the plumeria cuttings are actually bagged up individually in plastic bags with hang tags, like if you were buying a pack of pens or something else non-perishable. It's a very hearty cutting- it doesn't look like it could be easily destroyed by rough handling via the mail or rough handling via the gardener!

The plumeria cuttings look like a giant stalk of asparagus- one end is pointed (top) and the other is flat, where it has been cut from the larger plant. They are fairly "dry", but still very much alive. They just aren't as delicate as some other plants I've gotten via mail order. I was a little surprised when they arrived- I was expecting a box of some sort with lots of padding and stuff, but instead it was just a manila envelope. I opened the package expecting something wet and packed tightly with something to keep the cuttings moist and cool, but instead it was four plastic baggies with stalks of plumeria inside. Each of the plumeria were a deep green but they also had tiny "fresh" green growth at the very tips.

On the back of the hang-tag is little bit of information about plumerias and information on how best to plant and grow them. Basically you fill a large pot with a sandy potting soil, stick the "cut side" of the plumeria cutting about four inches deep, water thoroughly, and place in direct sunlight. Once the soil is completely dried out, you water again. After a while (this is a slow process), tiny little "nubs" will form on the tip of the cutting, and in time, those nubs will grow into glossy leaves.

I'll be honest- I received these as a gift from my husband about a year ago and two of the plumerias did not make our super-humid Florida summer. But the two that did are growing heartily. They haven't flowered yet- right now they are dormant because we are having some unseasonably cold weather. But the little nubs on top are starting to form, which makes me know the cutting is still alive.

I posted some pictures of the packaging and the way the plumeria looks like when it arrives for those of you who are curious or maybe hesitant to order these.
review image review image
VINE VOICEon February 2, 2012
I am so happy with this product and the service of this company that I wish I could give it 10 stars! The cuttings arrived quickly and well packed with instructions and even a passion fruit tea bag as a little thank you gift. It is really important to me that these cuttings came from a certified Hawaiian nursery with the proper U.S. Dept of Ag stamp. Too many diseases have wrecked havoc on our environment (think Dutch Elm disease) from people smuggling plants into the country illegally. These are big, vigorous cuttings of four different colors of plumeria and they were about $10 each. I have followed the instructions, the most important one being not to over water or they will rot, and my cuttings are starting to bud. I would definitely order from this company again!
on April 21, 2015
I would buy again from Discount Hawaiian Gifts. I had ordered the set of 4 Plumeria. I planted them and just found that two of them had died. I contacted Discount Hawaiian Gifts to see about getting a replacement for the two that died. Well, to my surprise they are sending a new set of 4 and a bonus gift. Talk about great customer service. They know how to treat their customer right.
on September 6, 2011
As a native from Hawaii I am very accustomed to Hawaii's kindness and hospitality. Makao Beach Co. was nothing short of the spirit of Hawaii. The plumeria cuttings arrived in great condition and on time with the correct number and color of plumeria I had ordered. Though I shouldn't have been, I was surprised to see my receipt had a hand written note from Elizabeth saying three of my cuttings had been upgraded to two tips instead of the single tips that I had ordered. The instructions that came with the cuttings were informative and easy to follow and the Hawaiian newspaper used for packing was entertaining to read. My cuttings are potted and ready to grow. Only time will tell how many of them take and how many don't.
on July 1, 2013
I ordered the set of 4 Hawaiian Plumeria cutting from DHG_Inc. I potted them shortly after receiving them, and only 2 bloomed. 6 months later, i decided to contact the seller DHG_Inc to see if they had any suggestions. They immediately responded within an hour of my inquiry and informed me that they wanted to make sure all of them bloomed, and promptly sent me 2 more in the exact colors of the cuttings that have not yet bloomed. They said "We want to ensure that the whole set of 4 blooms for you" They shipped the replacements out right away, and no shipping charge. I wanted to recognize DHG_Inc as having incredible customer service, and going far beyond my expectations with the product ordered. Thank you DHG, I will certainly be ordering from you and referring people I know! Mahalo!
on August 19, 2014
Here is a 6 month report on my results. In early February I planted the 4 Plumeria plant cuttings in pots with a mixture of 2/3 potting soil and 1/3 Perlite. A root hormone was used before insertion into the pots and 1 inch of pea gravel spread on top for stability. They were left indoors until April then taken outside when the temperatures were mild. By June 1 the yellow plant had nice flowers and leaves. Today the yellow plant has lost the blooms but the leaves look healthy. The pink plant has healthy leaves but no flowers. The red plant is struggling to develop leaves. They are only about 1”. The white plant has no leaves and the stem is soft so I think it is pretty much dead. All had the same light and watering conditions.
on May 17, 2016
Absolutely satisfied with this delivery. The cuttings I received were large and healthy. They are currently at different stages in development but thriving nicely. I am so excited waiting for my first bloom. I would recommend using a root hormone and remembering to water only once from the top after planting. There after if the soil seems to be drying up water from below by placing your pot in a bowl or vessel with just enough water to wet the lower part of the planted pot. You will cause the stem to rot if you water too much until the plant is established. There is plenty of information on the internet about rooting your plumeria and I would highly recommend reading up while your waiting for delivery. One site I visited recommended planting in a clear cup or tub with holes in the bottom you punched or drilled. Plant in vermiculite and water once. You will be able to see the plant and how far along the rooting process is and easy to lift out and then plant in the potting soil.

The pictures are of the cuttings as of June 1st, 2016. All 4 are at various stages of development. One of the plants look like it is going straight to the bloom stage while 2 others are in various stages of leaf development. The final plumeria may be forming a bud to bloom also. It is still a little to early to tell if it will be a bloom or leaf. They are all doing wonderfully and I am very happy with the cuttings I received.
review image review image
on May 4, 2015
These are fabulous Plumie cuttings. I would buy again from this seller. Followed the instruction in planting them and they have not leafed out yet but the pink things on the top have shown up which indicates the Plumies are going to leaf out anytime now, Texas has been unseasonably cool of late and I believe that's why the leaves have not shown up as yet, but they will. I would recommend this seller. We are happy campers!
on December 25, 2014
I purchased 8 and potted all with no luck. Even moved into a greenhouse. Unfortunately all died. Then by chance, found at Home Depot already started for $18/each. They are growing indoors and are magnificent! Have no idea why the item from Amazon wouldn't root, but after doing everything right...... they died. I am sure results will vary, but I managed to kill all 8.
on June 18, 2012
I have planted these exactly as the directions have instructed to do so and nothing has happened. The green stalk hasn't dies but it just...well "is". If you have advice please let me know. I would love to try it. Still hopeful :)

Update - they all died. :( Sadly- I was able to get green leaves on two of them but then they shed those and just whithered away. i am bummed