5.0 out of 5 stars This book reminds me of why I love Dean Koontz
Published on May 27, 2011 by charlotte vibble

1.0 out of 5 stars This is it?
To say I was disappointed with this book is putting it lightly. I've loved this series since the first book, but starting with Lost Souls and now this... I've been really let down.

Published on May 31, 2011 by RStringini

1.0 out of 5 stars This is it?, May 31, 2011

That isn't to say that there aren't good parts to this book. Erika V and Jocko are still great characters, and there are a few interesting scenes, but in the end the book is a mess. Victor is a laughable antagonist, whose so arrogent that he never really feels like a threat. The Builders are interesting, but they get overused, and the book lacks the darker, violent edge that made the first two so interesting.

The biggest problem is the sheer number of plotlines. When new characters and storylines are still being introduced during the last 75 pages, it just screams of padding. Then the ending, which should be pulse pounding and exciting, is glossed over and tied up with a "and they all lived happily ever after."

Really not very good, and a disappointing way to wrap things up.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book reminds me of why I love Dean Koontz, May 27, 2011
The fifth and final book in the Frankenstein series has reminded me of why I am such a fan of Dean Koontz. It is gripping from beginning to end and really hard to tear yourself away from.I had been losing faith in Koontz, as more and more of his books had left me with a "what a waste of my time" kind of feeling, and when I began reading the 4th book I was very concerned I was again going to be disappointed, but Koontz really pulled it off. My complaint with some of his recent novels has been that he has spent so much of the novel developing and building up, that I find myself 30 pages from the end with no hint of a resolution, and the conclusion feels like he was running out of time and tried to wrap everything up too quickly. Thus was my worry as I delved into book 4. It seemed like he was introducing too many characters and too many settings to be able to adequately be able to flesh each out and bring back in to a neat conclusion, but he DEFINITELY succeeded! I would have liked to hear a bit more on the resolution (on both the good and bad guys sides) but all in all I felt that most of the questions were answered, and the story was brought to a very well rounded out conclusion. I'd like to see Koontz return to writing novels this gripping as the standard, as opposed to this being a rare gem in an increasingly disappointing line up.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not great, May 25, 2011
I love Dean Koontz's depiction of the classic Frankenstein tale. So, since reading Lost Souls I have anxiously been waiting for the next installment.

The Dead Town was an enjoyable book. Koontz has a way of bringing characters to life that keeps me coming back. Carson and Michael are as quick-witted as ever. Erika and Jocko are still amusing in their oddities. Deucalion shines in this novel. And Victor Immaculate, who was barely glimpsed before, shows the mindset of absolute domination and total arrogance that defines him. A lot of side characters had plenty of action, which has good and bad points.

It did get repetitive, however. The Builders are interesting, but it seemed to go over the same scenes with them over and over. The ending was not as dramatic as I hoped, but it was a long way from disappointing.

Overall, I liked the book. If you liked Lost Souls, you will probably enjoy The Dead Town.

2.0 out of 5 stars Better than the fourth, but not a good way to end the series., December 14, 2011
Here be major spoilers.

Like most everyone else disappointed about this and the fourth book, I REALLY wanted the payoff to go well. Reading the back of this book was what got me interested in the Frankenstein series to begin with and so since this was the last one, I was hoping that it'd be an ending worth remembering.

I was wrong.

But I'm going to go ahead and say, this was LOADS better than the fourth one. That wouldn't be too hard. But even I could've forgiven the fourth book if this one had been better. The fourth book felt like it was setting everything up. So, I'm going to list why I was disappointed and then talk about what I'd have done better.

1. The trilogy was fine - The first three books were great. It had an ending that was nice. The heroes won, the villain lost, there weren't too many characters clogging up the book, I could keep up with all the plotlines and I actually cared about most of the characters. Sure, I felt the ending was a little weak but I still liked it. More on the ending later.

2. The villain wasn't easy to identify with - Villains are the most important thing to a story. These days we like villains that make us laugh or scare the crap out of us. The Joker from Batman is a great example of that. Victor Helios...was okay. He wasn't the best villain ever, but he wasn't the worst. He was creepy (I mean, he ate live baby rats because he was bored and got off on raping his wife) but he wasn't outright scary. I prefer the original Victor because of his goal. He wants to replace the world with clones and position himself as their `god'. Not the most original goal in the world, but with a story like this it works. Victor Leben, or Victor Immaculate is an entirely different story. Basically, he wants to kill everyone and everything and then die himself leaving the world empty. Okay....um....how does that benefit him? Another good way to identify with the villain is if you can identify with their goal. Now, I really don't identify with Victor Frankenstein's goal at all, but at least his goal made some sense. This....does not. How does he benefit if everything's dead? Was this explained?

3. It destroys the message in the trilogy - The first three books pound it over our heads that it's important to have free will and hope. The lack of that is what destroys the clones faster than Victor can spit them out. The fact that he gave his wife hope was what separated her from the rest and kept her sane after his death. It doesn't seem to mention this again much in the fourth books. The builders start breaking down because...I don't know why honestly, it doesn't seem like something that was explained either. It couldn't really be lack of hope because you'd think that it'd affect the Communitarians too, but they seem to be fine. So, what was going wrong? Or did he just build the builders up to be too powerful and this was the only way he could think of to keep the heroes alive?

4. Heroes turn useless - I liked Michael and Carson in the original trilogy as the focus. They were clichés but they were likable. In the third book I kind of noticed that they didn't do much of anything. And it was a bit disappointing because Deucalion seemed to think that Carson was going to be the one that helped him kill Frankenstein. And I really liked that idea. She'd get revenge on the murder of her parents and he'd get closure since he couldn't kill Victor himself. Instead, in the third book, the clones kill him by burying him alive and as ironic as it is, it was a tad disappointing. Especially since all Carson pretty much does is tell him to "go to tell." Really? That's all this hard hitting, guns blazing, caffeinated badass has to say to the man that ruined her life? In the last two it's even worse. Thanks to the barrage of too many characters, all Carson and Michael do is kill a clone and then hang out with the church catching them up on the plot. They had nothing to do and I have to wonder why Koontz even bothered bringing them back. They had their ending, and the characters didn't want to do anything dangerous in fear of orphaning their baby.

5. Too much padding- Do we really need to hear how the builders kill every other page? Because it sounded stupid the first time he described it. Did we really need that many characters? It really bogged the story down. If anything, he should've let some of the characters that we got to know die. Most of the characters that did perish were people that we didn't even know. There were too many happy endings for a story as supposedly dark as this one. I would've kept Bryce and Travis for the hospital exposition, but I would've killed the boy's mother off. And I would've kept the radio team in the story because they were important and I would've kept Rusty the war veteran in and his kind-of girlfriend because I liked their story, but I would've introduced them a lot earlier. And that would've been it.

But would I have done differently? Well, I would've just kept it a trilogy first of all. As weak as the ending was, it was still loads better than this one, but if I felt I HAD to write another book, I would've made it a prequel. Victor and Deucalion had WAY too few scenes together and it would've been great to actually read about their history instead of just having it told to me. It would've been nice to see Deucalion make mistakes and have faults instead of being this godlike being who can teleport and heal autism (Oh, the way, way to walk into the light before you take the kids home from the monastery hero. I'm sure their parents appreciated THAT one). But all in all the payoff wasn't worth stretching it into two books.

2.0 out of 5 stars The Dead Book sums it up., January 24, 2012
I am glad this series is over after reading this last book. Victor Immaculate is supposed to be smarter and superior to the original. When in fact, he is more screwed up than the first. It was hard enough for me to believe that Victor wanted to replace all humans with his human clones. Now I am expected to swallow this ludicrous idea that he wants to destroy all intelligent life on the planet as well as himself! Through out the story Victor continually ignores signs that his plans are once again going awry. His new clones are too fantastical and likewise are just as screwed up if not more than his previous creations. Maybe a few hundred years more in the future a could believe this yarn. In the end Victor just idioticly stands there and lets Deucalion kill him. The worst of it all is we are expected to think this madman's agenda reaches up to the highest person in our government. The best part of the book was Mr. Lyss and Nummy, the bum and dummy duo. Koontz how about writing a book about those two? Sorry for the review. Still a fan...

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing.. SPOILERS contained here, December 14, 2011
If you haven't read books 4 or 5 in this series yet, let me some it up for you in a few sentences what it took Dean Koontz two books to write:

Dr. Frankenstein's "clone" is back to cause trouble, this time with a plot to destroy the entire world.

Two escaped convicts by the name of Nummy and Mr. Lyss inadvertently stumble across a "malfunctioned" creature of Victor's creation, who tells them of Victor's present location.

This information is passed on to Deucalion.

Deucalion looks up Victor, exchanges pleasantries with Victor for a couple of pages, and then destroys him.

The end.

The rest of these two books was nothing more than filler and drivel. This series should have stopped after book 3, because books 4 & 5 were just essentially the same type of story being rehased again, except this time there was too little substance and it was spread WAY too thin. Parts 1-3 are worthy of reading.. 4 & 5, not so much.

1.0 out of 5 stars A Most Disappointing Ending to the Series, September 11, 2011
Amazon Customer (Columbus, OH USA) - See all my reviews
This final book in what started as a promising series was a major disappointment. I wasn't surprised because the trend had been apparent since the third book of the series. The ending became apparent early in this fifth book but I kept hoping that Koontz was just scattering red herrings and that he would come through with a blockbuster ending.

That didn't happen. In this slow-motion train wreck, the (literal) deus ex machina and the hokey post-dénouement closing scenes wouldn't have been accepted from a junior writer and shouldn't have been accepted from this well known master of horror.

1.0 out of 5 stars Too much Padding!, June 8, 2012
Why would a respected author like Dean Koontz write a book with this much padding? Total letdown, as the entire story could easily have fit into one book along with the waste of paper that they called the fourth book.

A tragic end to a good series. I really wish he had stopped at book three. It's not like he hasn't made enough money with his other books. I have no idea why he would put something like this out. Pressure from the publisher, maybe?

Whatever, avoid this book at all costs. You've been warned.

2.0 out of 5 stars The Dead Town, May 31, 2012
A few days ago I posted my review of the 4th book and my feelings haven't changed. The 'Lost Souls' was an incomplete book. It and The Dead Town were one book that the publishers decided to cut in half so as to make more money. Neither book can stand on its own two feet and, put together, it still can't stand upright. None of the major characters, and I do mean none, has anything to do. Michael and Carson do not really get any action in other than babysitting the children, Ericka is nothing more than a presence who babysits Jocko and the children, and even Deucalion does almost nothing other than drive a car through time/space. The manner by which (spoiler alert) he finishes Victor off is done in one or two paragraphs and without any real effort or trial. The breakdown of the 'community' members is really unexplained and their obsessiveness which leads to their breakdown is also never cleared up since obsessiveness was supposed to have been weeded out long before being released to destroy mankind.
This was quick reading but the whole thing was silly with tiny little subplot lines that led nowhere and were far too easily tied up. After the first two novels in this series I was hooked and then terribly disappointed by all the rest.

1.0 out of 5 stars Series tumbled down!, July 18, 2011
I have been following the whole series since the out set. It has been going down hill and the end was a real let down for me.
It is really only for those who have been following the entire series. I do not recommend it to others as it will only make you angry. I do not want to say why as it will be a spoiler. But the ending is just to unrealistic to believe. Worse by the second chapter ypu can predict what was going to happen.