I just now got up off of my couch to come and write this. After watching Frankenstein's Army, I lay on my couch and stared at my ceiling and talked out loud to myself at intervals, every minute or so..
Published 10 months ago by Harlem Champ

2.0 out of 5 stars Could Have Been a Masterpiece...
Published 12 months ago by Michael

5.0 out of 5 stars Gloriously traumatized and talking to myself for 10 minutes..., October 5, 2013
This review is from: Frankenstein's Army (DVD)
I've watched hundreds of horror films. Believe me, i have seen so many; Indie, 80's, The French films (which have a knack for disturbing me so after "Inside" i said no more, LOL) and 'some' Hollywood flicks. I have an affinity for the 70's where heavy atmosphere and suspense was a staple of that era in horror movies, e.g; "Magic", "Death dream" and "Black Christmas". You see, Im not the teenager i once was, growing up in the 80's, so i cant handle aimless, plotless brutality and graphic violence any more, although the 80's stuff had suspense and plot as well as gore. Yes I might be a bit weak nowadays as far as what i can stomach and enjoy, thats why i wouldn't watch the Human Centipede or even a film like Martyrs, even if the latter is said to be very good. Im not judging these films I just get PTS very easily, BUT, this was not the case for this flick, the savage happenings here, served a purpose, which is to draw you into this insane world..
Frankensteins Army was one of those brilliant nightmares that kept my heart beating hard beneath my ribcage as if i had just smoked a joint of "too-powerful weed" all to myself in one sitting.
The monsters were nightmares. Creeping, clanking, crushing metal nightmares.. Jesus. The camera view of the film was key, it definitely puts you into that chaos, too damned real. The violence was there, but aside from mine-carts and rooms of thousands of body parts, it wasn't so graphic that it became overwhelming. It was those horrific images of Frankenstein's monsters, experiments and utterly bizarre and intimidating creations that stay with you, long after the film ends.
Well acted, well filmed, brilliant creatures and effects, and a claustrophobic, maze-crazed thrill ride that had me laying on my couch talking to myself for 10 minutes saying "WTF..???"
Who really cares if it was unrealistic that they had a "hi-def" camera in the 1940's.. Is that really a major issue for people in some cases? After 15 minutes i couldn't have cared what kind of camera the Russian soldier held..
Frankensteins Army was a snowball turning into a huge ice boulder, that never stopped. What a superb effort this was. Once again I am deeply traumatized. Damn it. I gotta watch Abbot and Costello or something just to relax.

P.S. This really might be all you need to watch for Halloween. My goodness...

4.0 out of 5 stars A B-Movie Extravaganza Featuring Plenty Of Gore, Macabre Humor, And A Terrific Array Of Monsters, August 30, 2013
This review is from: Frankenstein's Army [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
When you're going to make a movie and call it "Frankenstein's Army," you'd better be willing to serve up something that lives up to the title! Director Richard Raaphorst draws from the real life experimentation conducted by Nazi scientists to create a movie that goes bat guano crazy with the idea. And I mean that as a huge compliment. The film may not have an intricate plot or complex characterizations, but I doubt anyone approaching "Frankenstein's Army" is expecting a thoughtful drama. What it does present is an elaborate and macabre world of engineered monsters that are both scary and funny. It is like a vision of steampunk technology combined with biological carnage, and it makes this film a visceral sensation. The movie combines over-the-top acting, unsettling visuals, and deranged humor to create something that feels startlingly fresh. Perhaps this isn't a great movie, but I admire the thought and creativity that went behind these fantastic monsters. And at the end of the day, if you fall for these creations than you'll get swept up into the experience. If you don't like the "army," you won't like the movie. Simple as that.

The film employs the increasingly tiring "found footage" style of filmmaking, meaning that one of the characters is holding the camera that records the action. Although this is a less expensive way to shoot a movie, it can become problematic when the camera needs to film a sequence where it doesn't make sense for the character to stand there and do so. Surprisingly, "Frankenstein's Army" actually handles this tricky technique quite well. The film is a historical document following a band of Russian soldiers as they traverse across German territory in World War II. Because the footage is supposed to be older and shot on a handheld apparatus, the movie has a choppy and old time film feeling that serves the piece well. As the movie opens, we get a brief introduction to the soldiers but no one is really distinguished with any clarity. Responding to a Russian distress signal and with their radio blocked, they get to a desolate camp that will hold many unpleasant surprises.

At this point, hidden agendas are revealed and a mad scientist and his unearthly creations are discovered. It may have taken a little long to get to this point, but now the action starts to kick in. As our motley crew of soldiers fight an strange array of unexpected foe, the film has plenty of gore, a few quite scary encounters, and a firm sense of the preposterous. Ultimately, we will meet Dr Frankenstein and he is played with demented glee by Karel Roden. While much of the picture can be horrifying, the final scenes are wickedly funny instead. I thought the movie looked like fun and it is. If you go in with moderate expectations, this B-movie extravaganza serves up plenty of twisted delights. As I said, "Frankenstein's Army" may not have the most sophisticated plot line but it scores where it counts the most! The monsters are great, scary, funny, and (most of all) memorable. KGHarris, 8/13.

4.0 out of 5 stars Real Makeup FX! No computer cartoons here!, July 26, 2013
G. Greeson (Oakley, CA United States) - See all my reviews
If you are a true fan of Practical Effects and Gore you will enjoy this film. I enjoyed seeing all of the different creations. It feels like you are along for the ride through a psychotic house of horrors! The first 20 minutes or so are slower, but it gets crazy after that. Watch it if you want a fun, disturbing, bloody, good time like they used to make in the 1980's.

5.0 out of 5 stars Glad I don't do acid anymore..., September 19, 2013
This review is from: Frankenstein's Army [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
WOW! Every once in a while a movie comes along that afterwards I kinda wonder "did I really just see what I think I saw?". This was one of those movies. As a horror fan who grew up in the 60's and 70's I remember what films were like before all the CGI technologies came about and this movie is a great example of how to make a freaky and entertaining movie the old fashioned way. This is horror at it's best!

4.0 out of 5 stars It's fun and the monsters are worth the watch!, August 2, 2013
Though I'm not particularly a fan of found-footage movies, this one kept it period (WW2) accurate, and made sense for the plot. Though what really sucked me in, and the main factor I'm buying this on DVD when it releases: the MONSTERS! The creature design and costuming is TOP NOTCH! No CGI bull or easy way out effects. These guys really put their heart and soul into the production, and IT SHOWS! You can't find that kind of determination and love in films very often anymore, and it's a shame. But with Frankenstein's Army, it's a fun all-practical creature costuming extravaganza!

4.0 out of 5 stars Totally Decent Movie, March 4, 2014
This review is from: Frankenstein's Army [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I thought that this movie looked really cool from the trailers, and it was. My only wish was that there were more monsters! The ones that were in the movie were pretty cool but I just wanted more! It's also pretty awesome how there are no CG effects...it's all real.

5.0 out of 5 stars OH YES! ITS ABOUT TIME!!, September 14, 2013
This review is from: Frankenstein's Army [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I would like to start this review by saying "NO CGI AND ITS ABOUT TIME!!!". Well, I can finally write a positive review of a film that isnt 20 years old. I have been following the directors work since I seen his teaser trailers for "Worst Case Scenario". I also dont understand how there can be negative reviews of this film, people are insane sometimes. We live in a world that is up to its eye balls in LAZY CGI EFFECTS AND NO HEART. This film delivers the goods. Check out the Pros and Cons.

Pros
+No CGI
+Great Storyline
+The Found Footage wasnt shot terrible like Blair Witch Project, it works for his film!
+Very Gory
+Amazing Monsters!
+Great acting from the Mad Doctor
+One of the best horror films I have ever seen. Period.

Cons
-Dont really have any, and thats no BS.

In a nutshell, Frankenstein's Army is a fun film. Its a throwback to old School horror when they put HEART into their work. Its a film I will watch again and again years from now. I look forward to Richard Raaphorst (Director) future projects. Nice Job sir, and Thank you.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Found Footage Freakshow!, April 17, 2014
Rock~N~Rolla (Detroit Rock City, Michigan) - See all my reviews
If you are in the mood for a "Found Footage" freakshow then look no further because Frankenstein's Army is here!

In this nightmarish creepy little flick set during WWII, a Russian battalion of soldiers on a mission behind enemy lines in Germany stumble upon a workshop of unimaginable horrors and find themseves having to fight for their lives against a gruesome onslaught of bizarre creatures comprised of part man and part machine. As the soldiers try to find out the secret of who could be behind these abominable creations from hell they soon discover more than they ever bargained for.

Frankenstein's Army is one seriously sick, demented, movie that will have you jumping out of your chair one minute and nervously giggling the next. Featuring great gorey practical "real" effects, no CGI here, impressive sets and locations, and a bevy of bizarre monsters. This movie will take you on a rollercoaster ride through madness and beyond.

Warning: If shaky camera footage makes you queasy then stay far away from this movie.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of imagination here, August 25, 2013
I love monster movies so went into this feeling excited. It was a lot of fun . Not really scary but had moments that jolted and the monster creations were just fantastic. The director captured the insanity of this well insane situation and did a great job.Well done.

2.0 out of 5 stars Could Have Been a Masterpiece..., August 24, 2013
This review is from: Frankenstein's Army [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
This movie could have been a masterpiece. Although the premise isn't exactly original, the way the director executed the film is. If I was rating the film on special effects alone, it would easily get 4-stars. I love that there is no CGI. I absolutely loath CGI and I would rather see well designed costumes and make-up like this rather than CGI (i.e, Silent Hill: Revelations where the CGI ruined the entire movie.)

The problem here is the plot. I am fine with the "found film" angle but I think it detracts from the movie's potential. Either way, this is a personal preferences and it isn't really where the movie stumbles. The main problem is that the soldiers are extremely unlikable and the monsters have no personality, humanity or story behind them. They are just there to look ugly. How could this have been different? Take the French film 'Martyrs'. The movie is so effective on a psychological level because you really feel for the characters and are horrified by what is happening to them. A few simple plot reworks would've salvaged this film:

1.) Instead of making the 'creatures' horrible monsters, why not make them prisoners of war or another group of soldiers being experimented on. The Dr. is somehow keeping these poor people alive while mutilating them in horrible ways. They are not evil monsters but suffering terribly. This would add some humanity to their background and make you feel that uneasiness in the pit of your stomach missing from this film.

2.) Make the soldiers likable. Have a bad apple or two if needed but for the most part make them people you root for. In line with my above suggestion, why not develop the bonds between the soldiers in the film's first and second act, only to have one of them taken by Dr. In the film's 3rd Act they could run into their friend again, this time horribly mutilated and deformed. That would be a horrible and emotional confrontation.

Overall, this film isn't bad, but it lacks humanity and it's hard to really rate a movie above 2-stars when it leaves no emotional impact whatsoever. It is worth a rent, and right now the Blu-Ray is on sale for $10 and it is worth the $10, but I guess I'm disappointed that if fell so short of what I saw its' true potential to be.

Frankenstein's Army [Blu-ray]
Frankenstein's Army [Blu-ray] by Richard Raaphorst (Blu-ray - 2013)
$34.98 $14.57