5.0 out of 5 stars Great Gift Idea
Last month, a new product from Franklin Electronics called AnyBook Reader was launched. It is aimed at the working, busy or traveling parent, far-away grandparent, or any other long distance relatives, who want to bond with a child even when they are apart. It's an interactive reading device that allows you to read & record any book in your personal library in your own...
Published on November 29, 2010 by M. G. Gagliano

2.0 out of 5 stars A honest review - I like it, hate it . . . had to return it
A little help for first time users / buyers . . .

I work in information technology with several different types of technologies, so I get used to all the different engineering quarks that occur on every product. I can honestly say this device is in the top of my list of poorly engineered devices at this price point. The concept is fantastic and the positive...
Published 19 months ago by JS

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, October 22, 2012
This review is from: Franklin AnyBook Reader - 60 Hour Edition (DRP-4000) (Office Product)
I both this product for my brother that is legally blind so it would help him difference thing like CDs works very good thanks

5.0 out of 5 stars fabulous, December 29, 2011
This item was the most popular gift I gave this holiday season. My grandchild will be three soon and just loves it. Her parents are both thrilled with it as well. I have already recommended it to several people.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing reading pen for your child or grandchild!, May 3, 2011
This is a great gift idea for parents or grandparents. I can use this pen to record any children's book I have with my voice for my daughter. The pen comes with stickers that you can label on each page and I can record my voice reading each page by pointing at the sticker and saving my recording. My daughter can then point the pen at the sticker on each page and hear my voice reading the page. Not only can you use this for any book you have, the pen comes with plenty of stickers to use. And if you happen to run out, you can choose to reuse the stickers on other books. Unlike the leapfrog pen and the hallmark books, you are getting more for your money on this product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Takes time to set up, but fun for kids., March 29, 2011
"AnyBook reader uses a simple touch, record, and playback process. A special optical reader, built into the tip, reads unique codes imbedded in the designs of the stickers included with AnyBook reader. It's similar to the way a scanner at the grocery store reads barcodes. Each sticker code is unique. When a voice recording is associated with a sticker placed on a page, Anybook-Reader stores the recording and "remembers" which sticker has been associated with the recording. Touch the sticker again and AnyBook reader plays back the correct recording."

It takes a little time to get this going, but once it's done, your child can have a book 'read' to him any time he wants!!! It's easy for my kids to use and they love being able to play with it on their own. They even like to just record their own voices on the reader.

If your child doesn't know how to read yet, the Anybook reader won't help them follow along. It isn't like a tag reader where you run the pen across a word and it 'reads it'. You simple touch the reader to the sticker and then the whole page is read to your child. But if your child can read even a little bit, this Anybook reader will be a helpful teaching tool.

It comes with a bunch of stickers, and you can always record over a sticker if you are done using it in a certain book. But you can also buy more stickers if you don't want to record over any of them. The stickers don't damage our books and we can easily remove them if needed.

This is a fun tool.

5.0 out of 5 stars Versatile, educational, and fun for all, September 17, 2014
This electronic reading pen is one of the best learning tools I've bought for my kids! It far surpasses the leapfrog tag reader, because you have the flexibility to record any book, in any loved one's voice. The sound quality is a little lacking, but a few things we do to make it better. First, turn the volume down-- the louder it is, the more crackly and muffled it sounds. Second, make sure to hold the pen farther away from your lips as you read and record. I instinctively want to hold it close to my mouth to make sure it can catch every word, but it sounds much clearer if you hold the pen 8-10 inches away from your mouth.

I purchased this pen just before my husband left on a long deployment, and he recorded himself reading a few of his favorite books to the kids. We now have a nice little basket with all the recorded books, some he read, and some that I've read. I plan on asking all the grandparents to record a book or two for our collection when they come to visit. The stickers aren't just for books though. Just before he left, my husband had the brilliant idea of hiding stickers around the house-- in the closet, on the bathroom cabinet door, by the front door. My kids love running around the house, listening to their "daddy dots" and it warms my heart to hear my husband's voice saying funny things to the kids, or telling them to brush their teeth, etc. Another great way to use the pen-- we have 2 large maps on the wall in our homeschool room, one US Map and one world map, and I placed stickers on all the significant countries and states to our family. I also started putting dots on the countries that we are learning in our geography curriculum. It's fun for the kids to find the state of New York, tap on it with the pen, hear the state name and capital, and which of our family members lives there. The stickers can also be placed on flash cards, for early readers or toddlers who are just learning letters, they can practice for a few minutes by themselves. I can't say enough about this pen, and how much fun it's been for our family. The one thing that would be nice would be a way to see how many hours of recordings you have used and how many you have left. I don't think we've come close to the 60 hour limit yet, but it will be interesting to see what we'll do when that happens. Get another pen I suppose. :)

3.0 out of 5 stars Good reader, some issues but kids love it., November 18, 2014
Good book reader. Audio is far better when recorded on your computer first and then transferred. We went through a couple that the audio jack failed very quickly but now we're passed the return time frame so hoping nothing goes wrong with this one.

Also, be sure to order the right expansion sticker sheets DAS-210X NOT DAS-200X version as the earlier ones do not have #'s on them and are incompatible. I'd also search online for them as the re-seller on amazon is about 3x what they are direct from Franklin.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great idea - fun to use but poor sound quality, December 17, 2011
I must admit I had a blast recording the books, but the sound quality sounds like a cheap plastic radio. The specialty sound stickers are great. I just wish they had more and with a greater variety

4.0 out of 5 stars Thumb hurts, November 30, 2011
This reader is a wonderful tool for reminding the grandchildren of Grandma's voice reading them stories, since we live far away from each other. The recording button hurts my thumb though, since you have to keep holding it down during the entire recording. Great idea! But it needs some work.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the GREATEST. Now that I am going to be a ..., July 22, 2014
I have always believed in reading books to my kids and grandkids. And I am not always there in person to do the reading. This is the GREATEST. Now that I am going to be a great-grandma, I will be starting a NEW library. Just put the "stickie" on the page and record. This book reader is easy to use and very sturdy. Thanks for a great product.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a good tool for special education., April 27, 2014
I have been using this tool for special education for long time. It is inexpensive and can be used in so many different ways, such as communicators, word recognition tools, even fine motor skill enhancers.