Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

on December 29, 2008
I have this installed under a counter and made sure I had air space on each side and about 1/2 inch above it. The unit has been working very well, it keeps both sides at the temperatures I set without issue. Even through power outages the insulation has held the temps well within tolerances (1.5 hours is the longest outage I've had). As a note, it is installed beside a dishwasher (4 inches of space between them) so the opportunity for outside heat influence to change the temperature is possible, but it still holds temp.

I do ding it for the noise of the fans. They are louder than other fan sounds from a U-Line fridge/freezer and are probably amplified by the under counter install as it creates a bit of an echo chamber.

I didn't realize it when I bought it, but a feature that I now consider essential for this style unit (in a bar, under the counter) is the tilted racks at the bottom of each space. We don't always finish all bottles in a sitting so having the ability to cork it and place the bottle back into a properly conditioned tilted rack is great! Nice for that special bottle of Port too. If you are considering or searching for an under counter unit for a bar as a staging area versus your wine cellar, or if you only need to keep 20-30 bottles of wine, feel comfortable this will work very well.
on April 11, 2013
Purchased 12/1/2003, still works well except for water accumulation in bottom of unit and left side of unit gets hot. Otherwise works well, both sides @ 58 degrees.

The door lock is worthless, very easily opened.
on April 4, 2010
I bought mine over 4 years ago (and two moves ago!) and it is still doing a great job! Love the lockable dual zone (great when I'm having a party...lock the side I don't want anyone in and leave the other side open for guests to be able to select their own...yes, we are talking good friends if I let them have access to even half of my cellar).

For the first 4 years I had it in my garage (at two different houses), just moved to my third house a few months ago and have it inside now. Have twice had to shut it down by unplugging (once when I first got it and another time a couple of years later) but that's all I've had to do to it.
on October 18, 2008
Received as anniversary present from my wife two years ago. Purchased to be installed under counter. Unit worked well until installed. The materials available via retailer stated could be installed under counter with no clearance required. However, the left side unit no longer cools (actually temp inside is higher than ambient temp in room) when under the counter (have 1 1/2 in on top and 1/2 inch on each side). Finally, the manual (which poor me, I believed the seller reps) states minimums are 3 in on top and 2 in on each side. With these specs (3 in on top) it cannot be built in underneath a standard height counter (33 1/2 + 3 > 34 in standard cabinet height). Now I have a very expensive wine cabinet not wine cooler.
on August 11, 2009
It's hard to say what's a bigger piece of junk, the Franklin Chef wine cooler, the company or the service contractors. Mine failed after 2 1/2 years. After 5 service calls from 2 different authorized service companies it was rendered unrepairable. It was out of warranty and the company said "there's nothing more we can do". They could have at least given me a replacement at cost. I had to eat it for almost $1200. My GE kitchen refrigerator has been working for 20 years and cost $600.
on August 10, 2009
THIS IS THE WORST COMPANY EVER, DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM THIS COMPANY. I PURCHASED THE DUAL WINE COOLER / FRIDGE FOR UNDER THE COUNTER USE. WITHIN THE FIRST MONTH IT STOPPED WORKING. TWO DIFFERENT SERVICE TECHS CAME OUT TO FIX THE PROBLEM AND IT SEEMED TO WORK AGAIN. THEN SHORTLY BEFORE THE WARRANTY EXPIRED IT STOPPED WORKING AGAIN. THE COMPANY APPROVED THE REPAIRS, BUT HAD SINCE CONTRACTED WITH A NEW COMPANY TO CONDUCT SERVICE REPAIRS. THAT NEW COMPANY NEVER CAME OUT TO FIX THE FRIDGE AND BLAMED FRANKLIN CHEF FOR BEING OVER WORKED! FINALLY AFTER 4 MONTHS I ASKED FOR A NEW FRIDGE AND THEIR OWN SUPERVISORS FROM THEIR COMPANY TOLD ME I SHOULD GET ONE BECAUSE IT WAS THE RIGHT THING TO DO. WELL SOMEONE UP TOP SAID NO AND TOLD ME MY UNIT HAD AN EXPIRED WARRANTY. NOW I'M STUCK WITH A $900 FRIDGE THAT DOESN'T WORK. LAWSUIT COMING!!!! DON'T BUY FROM THIS COMPANY !!!!
on November 7, 2012
I bought this in 2005 and it's still running and working just fine. It still works just fine and we've had no issues with it at all. I LOVE it!
on August 3, 2009
DON'T BUY anything from Franklin Chef!! I purchased a Beverage Cooler from Home Depoot. The product stopped working within 8 months. They had someone come out to fix it multiple times. Then they switched service companies. My beverage cooler has now been broke for almost a year and now they are telling me that it's past my one year warranty and they won't replace it!
on February 3, 2013
Love this machine. Works great. Have had it for 6 years. Now it has a problem. The lights and fan work, and the temperature settings work. It behaves like either the freon is low (I don't hear the compressor starting), or whatever causes the compressor to start is crippled... Fuse looks good, nothing visibly burned on the motherboard, haven't opened the bottom.
on January 24, 2012
First - to all the reviews talking about this being an under the counter unit, WRONG!!! This is a 100 bottle fridge that stands almost 6 feet tall. I've had one of these running for over 5 years without issue (knock knock). About my only complaint is that it's a bit of a power hog, or at least I'm assuming. At start up it will dim the lights in the next room and seems to cycle quite regularly. Otherwise, no complaints.

See 1 answered question