5.0 out of 5 stars Best Tool for Learning English
Published on November 11, 2002 by Scott

2.0 out of 5 stars unwieldy. database lacks.
Pros:
Acceptable dictionary service. (Quick, short definitions to a large number of everyday words)
Useful pronunciation service.
Cons:
Perceptible delay in appearance of definition after word has been typed in(though you get used to it)
Published on January 7, 2003

2.0 out of 5 stars unwieldy. database lacks., January 7, 2003
By A Customer
Pros:
Useful pronunciation service.
Cons:
SLOW word correction (if you type in a word/spelling not in the dictionary, the wait is excruciating while it comes up with alternatives. To be fair, this search can be canceled promptly if you typed in a wrong word by mistake)
Not quite portable. Dictionary could have been more comprehensive, used AAA batteries. Top heavy (literally), unwieldy in the hand due to 4 AAs.
Would have preferred more comprehensive definitions and lesser games. More comprehensive meaning better definitions and more etymologies. I would not agree with the term "Language Master" because of the perceived deficiencies in the number of words and length of definitions.
I would NOT call it a good reference either.
Compared to the the excellent free service at [...] and my own idea of a portable dictionary.
Keys go clackety clack - could have used softer keys.
I would not recommend this buy.
P.S.
Why don't we have more competition in the electronic dictionary sector?

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice product,..terrible customer service., December 18, 2002
This review is from: Franklin LM6000b Speaking Language Master (Office Product)
I have this particular product and like it very much. However, over the years I have purchased from Franklin many times and there is one thing about Franklin that is consistent and which I can't stand and that is their approach to customer service. Believe me, you don't want to have to deal with such terrible customer service. As each year goes by, I'm more and more amazed how a company with such poor customer service stays in business. Regardless of the merits of the product, it would be impossible for me to recommend dealing with Franklin.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Ergonomics, Poor Screen, February 10, 2004
This review is from: Franklin LM6000b Speaking Language Master (Office Product)
I've had mine for at least 5 years. I'd say that it was useful, but later on I encountered some LCD problems. It is not well protected by a lid so it caused the digital feautures to blur or disappear.
If its something that you'd like to put in one place, then I'd suggest you buy this. If you have plans to bringing it everywhere, then I'd suggest one with a protection lid.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Tool for Learning English, November 11, 2002
This review is from: Franklin LM6000b Speaking Language Master (Office Product)
Excellent learning tool for students and people who want to improve their English or build up their vocabulary. The pronunciation is clear and I have been using it for more than 10 years. At work, I use the thesaurus to fine tune my documents and when I travel, I take it along as the word games get me hooked during the long flights. It is one of the best investments I have ever made. I also share it with my son who is in secondary school. Sometimes we argue over the pronunciation of certain words and the talking dictionary acts as arbitrator. Although the price has not gone down after it was launched, it is still worth every cent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, June 26, 2006
This review is from: Franklin LM6000b Speaking Language Master (Office Product)
This was the second time we purchased this product. We now have one for the office and one for the home office. The pronunciation function makes it an invaluable tool.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very happy with my purchase, December 30, 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Franklin LM6000b Speaking Language Master (Office Product)
The pronunciation of the words is very clear. Lots of definitions - I have only found one or two words so far that the dictionary does not have. The definitions can be a little short though. Contains lots of extra features like a phonics key that says each part of the word. Also, includes games, which are fun and a stored customized word list. Overall, very happy. I have wanted to improve my vocabulary and spelling which is why I made this purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Franklin LM 6000b Speaking Language Master, January 3, 2007
This review is from: Franklin LM6000b Speaking Language Master (Office Product)
I teach dyslexic students in grades 6 - 10. This is an excellent tool so that the students can hear the word that they are trying to spell, which aids them in learning the correct word.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dictionary, July 3, 2007
This review is from: Franklin LM6000b Speaking Language Master (Office Product)
More than happy with this product and the speed with which it arrived. It has the best, by far, pronunciation software I have ever heard and is at least as good as the best in the definition department.

Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but need to improve some key things, July 12, 2004
This review is from: Franklin LM6000b Speaking Language Master (Office Product)
I might bought this e-dict (LM-6000) 13-15 years ago in HK; at that time they have no official seller and I have to take the risk that no one can repair it if the e-dict has problem. Luckily it never breaks down, so far. Frankline is easy to use and I like the detailed explanation and some other fuctions such as thesaurus and class (for example if you look up thesaurus you will get almanac, encyclopedia, etc.) Although it contains grammer and word games, I seldom use these add-in.
I do not blame its size since it is obviously for desktop use. But I soon found that its display should be allowed to tilting; it reflects too much light. Further, the operation speed is significantly associated with the battery power. The newest model is equipped with low battery indication; I hope it helps.
Further, it would be good if the dictionary can include more examples of word usage. It may be that the paper copy of the dictionary does not contain sufficent examples.
Last, it may be good or not, Frankline does not support downloading new words. There should be a function that allows you to input the new word manually; I have never used it. But if it can accept download, it would be great. Nowadays, the technology should enable this dictinoary do this easily.
While there are some shortcomings of Franklin e-dict, I will recommend this to anyone who are looking for a real e-dict that is put on the desktop use and do not want a lot of games or irrelevant add-in.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's good; even better as it wasn't killed by computers, August 7, 2009
This review is from: Franklin LM6000b Speaking Language Master (Office Product)
My wife and I purchased this unit to help our 9 year old son understand words that are difficult when he reads. We wanted something simple and handy (so we chose this over a computer program). We are pleased with it, and a few lines are below.

1. The device has enough words to correct spelling in a meaningful way (fewer words devices can't really do it). Also, it has enough vocabulary for a 9 year old.

2. It speaks relatively clearly (robot accent better than my Romanian accent).

3. It looks like a calculator with computer-like keyboard. Strangely, this is very appealing to our kid and makes him *want* to use the device. This came unexpected, as my wife and I thought the device to be ugly!

4. It has a thesaurus that I personally find useful while writing (although I have no excuse to use it as my editors have thesaurus incorporated ...)

5. The device "watches its language", i.e., it has some adult filters and it won;t be pushed to recite trivial bad words which usually make the kids laugh.

We recommend it wholeheartedly.

Franklin LM6000b Speaking Language Master