5.0 out of 5 stars Franklin's Christmas Gift, December 14, 1999
As a mother of three small children, I love all of the Franklin series books. This book was particularly poignant at this time of year when children get focussed on the recieving part of their holidays. It lead us into a discussion about giving and how that can feel just as wonderful as getting. After that, my children were actually eager to participate in donating toys to our local church.

5.0 out of 5 stars Charming Franklin Christmas Story, February 10, 2006
George Buttner "Agent0042" (Dayton, Ohio United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
In "Franklin's Christmas Gift," Mr. Owl tells Franklin and his classmates that they should pick out a toy to donate to the school toy drive. Franklin gets home, but can't seem to find anything he wants to give away except an old, rusty truck. But when he starts to see what everyone else is bringing and learns how important it is, he reconsiders.

Another great "Franklin" story about sharing what you have to make others happy. Featuring the same sort of warm illustrations as other books in this series and a neat character --- Franklin's Great Aunt Harriet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun Book, February 18, 2013
This review is from: Franklin's Christmas Gift (Classic Franklin Stories) (Kindle Edition)
It has nice, colored pictures and my small children really like this book. We enjoyed reading it together this Christmas.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good book!, December 24, 2012
As a parent I loved the theme of thinking of others at Christmas. My child loves Franklin so as a gift this was awesome.

5.0 out of 5 stars Re-release of a Classic, February 4, 2012
Glenajo (Rockwall, TX) - See all my reviews
Franklin's Christmas Gift is the re-release of a classic from the enduring Franklin series by Paulette Bourgeois. At Franklin's school, Franklin's teacher, Mr. Owl, tells the students to begin thinking about what they will bring to donate to the classroom toy drive for needy children and the excitement begins. When Franklin goes through his own toys, everything seems too special to give away, but after receiving a gift from his aunt, Franklin realizes that nothing is special enough. After much thought, Franklin settles on a gift and in the process learns much about giving.

Franklin's Christmas Giftt is an excellent addition to the Franklin series. The students relate to the familiar stories and the beautiful illustrations. Christmas Gift helps students understand the joy of giving, using well-known characters. Pre-K through second graders will enjoy this addition to Franklin.

Received Galley from NetGalley.com

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Lesson for Kids, January 26, 2012
This is a wonderful Christmas story. I love how Franklin faces a dilemma. He needs to pick out one of his precious toys to give to another child for Christmas. His class is taking donations for less fortunate children.

Franklin learns a lesson on charity and not being selfish.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Inspiration!, January 25, 2012
What a sweet reminder to all children this holiday, that no matter what we have it's still more than what others have. A terrific reminder for our children - and us - of the unselfishness of Christmas.

5.0 out of 5 stars enjoyed it immensely, January 8, 2012
Reading Franklin's Christmas to my son, made him realize that he is fortunate enough to donate some of his unused toys to the poor.

4.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring Christmas Story to Give and Get, December 19, 2011
Franklin loved Christmas. He could name all of Santa's reindeer. He could ties ribbons into bows and play "Silent Night" on his recorder. Franklin liked to give presents and receive them. But this year he couldn't decide what to give to the Christmas toy drive.

Each year, Mr. Owl's class donates new and gently toys for needy families. This year, Franklin cannot decide what to give. The only toy he will part with is his more than gently used truck. Franklin has three more days to donate. The next day he receives a gift from his Great Aunt Harriet, who knows how to give special gifts. Excited over the present, Franklin forgets all about a gift for the toy drive. On the eve of the third and final day, Franklin's Great Aunt visits. Finally, Franklin gets to open her gift. Franklin's time with his aunt inspires him take action.

Franklin's Christmas Gift is an inspiring story of love, giving, caring, and sharing. Children will learn the true meaning of Christmas - giving is better than receiving. Franklin found that his gift to Great Aunt Harriet gave him as much joy as it gave her. This is so true, especially this time of year. Picking out that one-of-a-kind gift, then watching the recipient open it, can be exhilarating. That feeling is the cause of cries heard in every home with a child. "Open mine! Open mine!"

The illustrations are Christmas bright; happy and joyful hues of green, red, blue, gold, and other sparkly colors. The drawings are cute. The words are an inspiration. I liked the tone of giving and the uncertainty Franklin shows in not wanting to part with any of his treasures. The items that we have, the things we collect, become more important than people do. We cannot part with any of our stuff, sometimes even when that thing has out lived its usefulness. Christmas is a good time to put those priorities in order. Franklin does just that, and it will instill the gift of giving in those who read Franklin's Christmas Gift.

Note: received from netgalley, courtesy of the publisher.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Gift of Giving....., December 13, 2011
LadyInRead (San Jose, CA, US) - See all my reviews
Franklin is a favorite at our home and we have a few books which I have read many times over. When I saw this book on NetGalley, I requested it for I was sure we will love it and that is what happened.
The importance and joy of giving is beautifully portrayed in the book. In this story, Mr.Owl reminds the children to bring toys (new and gently used) for the toy drive and as Franklin looks through his toys, he finds it hard to give away even one of his special toys. As he postpones the giving, he watches his friends donate wonderful gifts. When he realizes his toy might be the only gift someone receives, he also realizes that what he thought was special earlier will not work. Finally, his great aunt Harriet's words inspire him and he has the perfect gift to give away - which is both loved and almost new. He realizes that giving can make you feel not sad but all warm and good inside, better than even receiving.
The illustrations are bright and cheerful and the text just perfect for younger kids, as always with Franklin books.
My daughter was thrilled when she understood that the toys she has donated this year at various toy drives will light up some other little girl's face who would not have had a gift otherwise (I am just glad she did not question why Santa would not give them a gift, though I had an answer for them and hoped it would have worked!). I said that the little girl will thank the person who gave her the gift in her heart and you will know it!
This book is a definite `read many times over' book in our house.

Disclaimer: I received this book - Franklin's Christmas Gift - through NetGalley for a honest review.

Rate and Discover Movies