Published 19 months ago by I Do the Speed Limit

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for the Average Home Cook
The illustrations and photography are good and the directions concise but this is another cookbook the doesn't meet the promise of the title. For example there is a chef's note when preparing one dish that tells you, in a full paragraph how to select Bottarga (fish roe). I have dozens of Italian cookbooks and have yet to make anything from this one.
Published 16 months ago by Kenneth R. Howe

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Exciting, workable, fresh, bright-tasting "restaurant" recipes, June 18, 2013
This review is from: Franny's: Simple Seasonal Italian (Hardcover)
I'm not usually a fan of restaurant cookbooks, but the words "Simple, Seasonal, Italian" on the front cover called to me, and hinted that this might not be a typical restaurant cookbook. (Meaning: Full of regionally-sourced, hard-to-find and expensive ingredients and complicated, fancy cooking; at least that's been my experience lately.) And even though my research told me that Franny's became popular because of its pizza, I knew--just by looking at the cover--that this was not (just) a cookbook of pizza recipes. Looking through the Table of Contents didn't give much insight into the type of recipes I might find inside. But my heart started thumping as soon as I read the names of the recipes in the first chapter "Crostini". Yes, this book was not only calling me, it was hollering to me!

And I'm so glad I listened, because I've not been disappointed. I could rely on this single cookbook all summer long and be happy. This is the nicest and most user-friendly "restaurant" cookbook I've ever run across. There are so many good recipes that are mouth-watering just reading through them. They are not difficult recipes either. (For the most part, that is; I'll get more into that later in my review.) Plus, as I went through, page by page, there was the alluring realization that the authors of this book actually care about what they do and the love shines--brightly--through. It is obvious that the people involved in this restaurant are attentive, conscientious, and very good at putting flavors together.

But I can't disregard the fact that this is, first and foremost, a book featuring recipes from an Italian-oriented restaurant, and the recipes were created by the people who prepare the meals in this top quality and busy place. While this fact doesn't faze me, it may turn you off. So, excuse the length of this review, but I've decided it would be helpful to the reader (and helpful to promoting this cookbook) if I gave a lot of examples. I found the "Look Inside" feature did not tell me what I wanted to know and thought you might feel the same way. So, keep on reading, or don't.

For instance: The cucumber salad* calls for several varieties of cukes, cut in different ways, (I used two varieties from my garden and it turned out just fine); the tomato and herb salad* calls for four varieties of tomatoes, different sizes and colors and flavors, some are marinated, some are fresh, plus three varieties of basil, and all together 15 ingredients, (Lucky me, I have all those ingredients in my garden and my pantry). You will find ingredient lists that call for Italian cheeses and cured meats that you might have to research and find alternatives for, depending on where you live. And these are not one-pot recipes--you will find several steps/processes in many of the recipes, (I do not mean complicated or tedious--these recipes are not difficult to prepare and directions are very clear.) If you have some cooking experience under your belt, I think you will be able to find work-arounds for any challenges you may find in these recipes. Plus "tips" are scattered frequently throughout the book.

What got my heart beating in the "Crostini" chapter? These toppings: Slowly-cooked in olive oil zucchini with garlic and basil, smashed cherry tomatoes and Pantaleo (or Pecorino) cheese*; Grilled whole Japanese eggplant, whipped with garlic and oil, seasoned, then topped with anchovy*; fresh beans cooked with herbs and garlic--some pureed, some left whole (I even kept the cooking liquid, it tasted so good.)*; whipped tuna, anchovy, butter, lemon and capers, seasoned, then topped with chopped olives.

Liking this book as much as I say I do, you might be surprised to learn there are some chapters that I will probably never use: Deep-frying is something we don't get into at home, so I won't use the 15 recipes that utilize the recipe for Zeppole batter. (But I will use the anchovy mayo and chili honey condiments that I found in that chapter.) I may or may not find time to get interested in the "Meat" chapter that is all about making your own pork sausage and curing pork. And I won't be making the 15 recipes in the "Pizza" chapter. No matter how good it tastes, we are just not that into a pizza crust that necessitates pre-heating a pizza stone at 500 degrees for an hour. I will use some of those topping recipes, though, to top other things. And there is a chapter on drinks that appear too sophisticated and time-consuming for my taste, (although I look forward to researching some of the liquors that I've never heard of.)

In the "Salad" chapter, besides what I mentioned above, there is a wonderful red rice and fresh veggie and herb salad* and a radicchio and bean salad. In the "Soup" chapter, we've already tried the zucchini and basil soup*. Between the cooking techniques and the combination of herbs, onions, garlic, oil and seasoning, the flavor (of a normally bland veggie) was astonishing.

There are 19 veggie recipes: To highlight a few: Sugar snap peas, ricotta, mint and lemon*; zucchini with mint, garlic and chili*; stewed zucchini, mint, olives and tomatoes; pole beans with potatoes, olives, anchovies and egg; marinated rainbow chard; roasted Brussels sprouts with almonds and pecorino; spicy raisins, pumpkin and almonds; roasted beets, with pickled hot peppers, walnuts and ricotta salata*; a refrigerator pickle containing carrots, celery, fennel, onion, and peppers (giardiniera pickles).

The "Seafood" chapter contains several squid recipes that look interesting (I'm allergic, so I've not tried any.) Plus there are a few others using fish I can't find fresh in my area. But there is a tuna confit with fresh beans, potatoes, onion, lemon and herbs that I look forward to trying, and mussels with white beans and fennel seeds.

There are 25 recipes in the "Pasta" chapter: Penne with zucchini, mint and garlic; spaghettini cooked in shrimp broth; pasta with swordfish cubes, olives, capers and mint*; penne with spicy, caramelized cauliflower; pasta with guanciale, chili flakes and ricotta; and linguine with Meyer lemons.

In the "Dessert" chapter there are 11 gelato recipes, small 6"crostatas, and familiar cakes.

Last, but not least, you will find a recipe for a very special, simple condiment: "Cheater's Moscato Vinegar". (It gives me similar--better--results as when I use Alessi Orange Blossom Honey Balsamic Vinegar that I can no longer find in my area.) Moscato Vinegar is truly a gem of a condiment.

Other info: The type style and size are readable, layout is easy to follow, pictures are beautiful and well-done.

Did you notice several asterisks? Those are recipes that I actually made and my family ate. All were accurate and will get made again.

I highly recommend this cookbook--although it would be especially helpful if you grow your own veggies and herbs, patronize a large farmers' market or live near a quality Italian-oriented grocery store.

I received a temporary download of the advance copy of this cookbook from the publisher, through NetGalley, in exchange for a review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, May 29, 2013
This review is from: Franny's: Simple Seasonal Italian (Hardcover)
My husband and I eat at Franny's and shop at Brooklyn Larder as often as possible. I was so excited when I received the book today. I immediately went through it and noticed they had a lot of the recipes for the dishes they make at Franny's and Larder. Can't wait to try the recipes, although food always seems to taste better when someone else cooks it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Gelato Recipes, October 27, 2013
This review is from: Franny's: Simple Seasonal Italian (Hardcover)
I bought this book because I read that the gelato recipes were worth the price of the book. I have made two flavors of the gelato and they were easy to prepare and had great taste. I can't wait to make the remaining gelato recipes.

4.0 out of 5 stars good ideas, November 9, 2013
I have read and used A LOT of Italian cook books. This one has a lot of good ideas, especially in the sections on small bites and crostini . If you are a pizza lover and are brave enough to give it a serious try at home -- a questionable enterprise in my apartment kitchen -- this has all the recipes you need. Solid work.

5.0 out of 5 stars great cookbook, March 14, 2014
This review is from: Franny's: Simple Seasonal Italian (Hardcover)
gave Franny's to my daughter for her birthday...she loves, loves, loves the book. Can't wait to make all the receipes

5.0 out of 5 stars Franny's: Simple Seasonal Italian, February 21, 2014
This review is from: Franny's: Simple Seasonal Italian (Hardcover)
My daughter loves this. It is exactly what she wanted. She misses Frannys because she no longer lives in Brooklyn.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love the restaurant, January 15, 2015
This review is from: Franny's: Simple Seasonal Italian (Hardcover)
I love the restaurant. The recipes are simple and delicious. Take a look through first. Some people I know find it too simplistic. But I've made several recipes that are delicious and if you like the restaurant you will like the book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Franny's, January 4, 2014
Kathy Harrison (Barrington, Il United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Franny's: Simple Seasonal Italian (Hardcover)
I have not made one recipe in this book that did not turn out fabulously. The title says it all; amazing Italian fare that is indeed, simple to prepare.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great add to cookbook collection, November 1, 2013
This review is from: Franny's: Simple Seasonal Italian (Hardcover)
I've made it a hobby over the years to collect unique but practical cookbooks. Franny's has been a great addition. I've not been to Franny's, but the book is written in a way that definitely makes you want to book a reservation. I love cookbooks that combine great recipes, beautiful pictures and importantly story-telling that gives a bit more insight into chefs, restaurants and cuisine. Franny's cookbook does that nicely. The home-made pizza recipes are wonderful, and practical for any at-home cook. The book also dedicates a ton of space to at-home charcuterie, which is not my thing, but I appreciate it as a cooking enthusiast nonetheless.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 16, 2014
This review is from: Franny's: Simple Seasonal Italian (Hardcover)
My son is a chef and asked for this book. He loves it!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Franny's: Simple Seasonal Italian
Franny's: Simple Seasonal Italian by Melissa Clark (Hardcover - June 4, 2013)
$35.00 $22.79