From the Inside Flap
Despite our centuries-long history with fraud as a serious threat to both private and public entities, fraud itself has continued to prosper while information and expertise on effective methods, resources, and training mechanisms for combating it have largely dissipateduntil now.
Fraud statistics covering the past decade are inarguably staggering. A recent audit of the private firms that administer Medicare reveals that fraud costs the program an estimated $20 billion annually, and that of the 4,008 fraud cases initiated by contractors in 1996, only 5 percent were a result of proactive case development. The U.S. Chamber of Commerce estimates that the cost of employee and management fraud exceeds $100 billion annually. And of the 20 percent of all fraud that is revealed and prosecuted, most has been discovered by accident, and so offers little in terms of education. Clearly, traditional approaches have failed to curtail this all too pervasive problem and there is a growing need for a proactive approach that focuses on prevention. This comprehensive, one-of-a-kind guide will serve as an indispensable tool for business managers and owners, accountants, consultants, CFOs, controllers, and auditors who need to learn about auditing specifically for fraud.
Written by an accountant with over 30 years of proactive fraud-specific auditing experience, Fraud 101 is the only book that presents fresh new insights on the nature of fraud and contains in-depth descriptions of the different types of fraud along with proven methods of prevention. Here you will find:
- Step-by-step guidance on how to perform an effective audit
- Numerous real-world case studies, many of which are based on the authors actual experience
- Discussions of the major types of fraud with an audit detection procedure for each
. . .and much more. Fraud 101 unveils the real world of fraudand provides the tools to detect it.
From the Back Cover
The tools and know-how for keeping fraud out of your business
Based on Howard Davia's groundbreaking work, Fraud 101, Second Edition offers step-by-step guidelines to fraud detection and prevention, complete with the tools you need to stop fraud in its tracks before it even starts. Reflecting the latest techniques and standards, this Second Edition:
- Provides unique insights into the nature of fraud and the mind-set needed to combat it
- Discusses the latest legislation and other pronouncements
- Provides proven solutions showing how to expose different types of fraud
- Includes numerous case studies illustrating how easy it can be to commit fraud, and how difficult it can be to prosecute the crime
Root out fraud before it happens with the invaluable, hands-on approach found in Fraud 101, Second Edition.
--This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.
See all Editorial Reviews