Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

Format: MP3 Music|Change
Price:$9.49

on September 7, 2002
Being a huge fan of Apoptygma Berzerk, VNV Nation, and Wumpscut, I wanted to branch off and check out some fellow Metropolis acts. I thought Diary of Dreams' new album "Freak Perfume" would be perfect for me to continue exploring the genre of EBM and anything that has goth and industrial influences in the music. This was one of those times when I just throw caution to the wind and just buy a cd on a whim.
"Freak Perfume" turned out to be a worthy investment. The music is definitely not like VNV Nation or Apoptygma Berzerk. It certainly has that EBM-influence throughout the album but the music overall is more goth than EBM. Come to think of it, Diary of Dreams (or at least "Freak Perfume") reminds me a lot of Clan of Xymox (another recent discovery). Adrian Hates' vocals has that same deep voice that Ronny of Clan of Xymox posses. All the songs on the album are really good but I really thought the slower songs like "Traum: A" and "Chrysalis" stood out for me on the album. I thoroughly love the classical melodies in "Traum: A". I am so glad that I bought this album. I really need to expand my goth/industrial/EBM collection, and "Freak Perfume" just proved to me that this type of music is highly underrated and overlooked.
on July 11, 2003
Very intense feelings, lyrics and vocals. It's the space I enjoy being in. If Wolfsheim is daytime, Diary of Dreams is nightime.
It's strange but when I first got Freak Perfume, I gave it a cursory listen and thought I didn't like them and almost sold my CD. But something made me take it out of the "to sell" pile...and now I love them!(I was surprized to hear that Adrian Hates worked on a Clan of Xymox album. I also love them)
Adrian has a very deep rich voice that soothes no matter what he is saying.
on August 9, 2002
Diary Of Dreams is best described as a mixture of goth rock and EBM styles of music. The vocals are similar to what one would find with a goth rock band like Type O Negative, but there are some songs that carry a distinct beat and sound similar to an industrial/EBM band like Ravenous. Basically, it's purely electronic music with some electric guitar riffs here and there. Most songs on Freak Perfume are fairly laid back and slow (like Tram:A and O'Brother Sleep), but there are also some faster songs present to balance the pace (like The Curse and She). While some of the tracks seem to be lacking a certain spice in my opinion, Freak Perfume is still a good CD to have in your collection if you are a fan of either electronic or ambient rock genres. Not exactly a new concept, but try it if you're looking for something a little less abrasive.
on November 7, 2002
This band never ceazes to amaze me. The vocals by far alone blow you off of your chair. They are deep, powerful and meaningful lyrics accompanied by a sensous and darkly intimidating voice. Many tracks to dance to and others to reflect apon. If you like to feel as well as dance, this is the CD for you. If you decide you like them, look into my yahoo group for diary of dreams. ~Yours in nightmares~
on February 17, 2003
Finally, at long last, Diary of Dreams have discovered the SONG. After many albums of perfecting their drama, production and image, they've finally written a few songs--not an albums worth mind you(some of these still plod along like their older stuff)--but some damned fine electro goth on Freak Perfume Ltd. And there's something to be said for that alone. Few bands today(or ever) are very adept at creating a listenable kind of pure electronic gothic music. O Brother Sleep and She are likely some of the best tracks of their kind I have ever heard. The lyrics thankfully steer clear of occult/horror movie imagery, although they are still delivered at times by somebody with very little concept of restraint or subtlety. Adrian Hates has been paving the way for darkwave music in Germany and abroad(with a name like that, he was destined to be goth!)and his engineering on Clan of Xymox's Creatures was definitive of the new sound of gothic/darkwave music. It's crisp, distant and huge sounding all at once. This is a good record. Hopefully, they will continue their upward trajectory. With all of the great synthpop bands in Germany right now, maybe the melodies will rub off on to Diary's dark, dark selves and sink into their music.
on December 10, 2005
This was the first Diary of Dreams CD I bought, and it is still my favorite. The music is orchestral and expansive; Adrian's voice is like dark silk drawn across your skin. "Freak Perfume" is a masterpiece, I cannot recommend it highly enough.
on March 16, 2009
Sound of this album stands out compared to many Goth songs that i have heard. It is hard to miss the grave nature in Hate's voice. This is totally rivetting. My favourites are "She", "O brother sleep" the most.

I came to know about DoD accidentally and as I explored their albums I started liking them more. I am a huge fan Diorama and came to know about DoD association with Diorama, and that gave all more reason to like DoD :-).
This album is worth buying.
on January 11, 2007
The whole album has a sound that makes an atmosphere of spooky and sad. Listen to the lyrics and they dont make much sense together, but then when you dont pay attention, the lyrics creates imagery that complements the mood. In terms of sound, male vocalist with a heavy sound and slow tempo.
on January 2, 2008
I won't make a long review, I'll just say this: It's a great album. I heard 'The Curse' and got hooked.
I bought the CD.
Loved it.
The music is a sort of electronic/goth/rock with German and English.
Awesome.
on June 22, 2006
A reviewer below wrote: "If Wolfsheim is daytime, Diary of Dreams is nightime." Those are the exact words I used when I first heard Diary of Dreams (Nigredo).